Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza and Sauce Recepie

Options
  • 28-11-2012 10:55pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a good thin base pizza Recepie and an good sauce recepie.
    I'm also wondering where I can buy pepperoni, jalapeño peppers and a really really hot chili flake?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Fraid I can only advise on the sauce recipe, but it's one I use every week and hope you like it too.

INGREDIENTS

2 tins of chopped tomatoes
    2 crushed cloves garlic
    1 finely chopped onion
    2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
    1 tsp oregano
    1 tsp basil
    1/2 tsp salt
    Black pepper
    1 tsp tomato puree

1) In a pan, add a little oil and gently cook the onion and garlic until soft. Next, add the rest of the ingredients and bring to the boil.
    2) After about five minutes, reduce the heat and simmer on a medium heat, uncovered, for about half an hour or until the mix has thickened.
    Use this to spread on pizza bases.

I use this all the time and it's always delicious.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I make a sauce similar to fussyonion's, and I use Jame Oliver's recipe for pizza dough. There's a very good thread on the subject of pizza dough here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056036953

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

The base is probably the easiest part to make. There's a full thread here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055979898

However, the following has worked for me on numerous occasions:

500g Plain flower
    7g sachet of yeast
    300 ml warm water
    Glug of olive oil
    sprinkle of salt and pepper

Method:
    Add the yeast to the water and stir well. Leave for 10 mins or so.

Make a well in the flour and add the salt and pepper. When the 10 mins is up, add the olive oil, while gradually adding the water. Knead it for about 5-10 mins until it achieves a non-sticky consistency (may need to add more flour or less water - experiment!).

Leave for 2-3 hours in a warm room until it rises. Even if it doesn't (as happens to me on occasion), you can still use it for pizza.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

Thanks everyone for the help with the sauce and base so I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can get the peppers and pepperoni.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Thanks everyone for the help with the sauce and base so I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can get the peppers and pepperoni.

Tesco Finest do a nice pepperoni. You won't always find it though, it's often missing in my local branch, grab a few and freeze then if you spot them. They'll be with the prosciutto, salami and chorizo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

I find Lidl do an excellent selection of sausages. Not sure if they stock pepperoni, tho but they have some really nice chorizos, bratwursts and spice sausages.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 matty876

Very nice ideas!!! Sick of buying pre made supermarket rubbish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Jalapenos you'll get red & green in most supermarkets with the Mexican cookery kits (normally Old El Paso & Discovery brand). Sometimes Lidl have jalapenos as well when they have a Mexican week.

You'll definitely get them (and probably nicer ones) in any middle eastern/turkish markets. If you're in Dublin city you'll get nice Mexican ones in the Atalaya Turkish Market on Liffey Street or, Saburrito in the Epicurean or in Fallon & Byrne.

Chili flakes you'll get in most supermarkets with the herbs & spices or hit up an Asian market again if you want really hot ones as you can pick up dried birds eye chilis etc. that you can easily grind down into flakes. Also a good chance that they'll have a variety of heats of chili flakes (I know for sure you'll get chili powder in a few heats)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Too add another one to the list of Sauces we find that a great dinner to have is Shakshuka. It is easy to make, flavorsome and healthy enough.

The best part however is any left over we then tend to use as the Sauce Base for pizza the next day. As the sauce sits over night the chilli and other flavors tends to mature a little too.

1) Fry up a few Anaheim or jalapeños (stemmed, seeded and chopped of course) with diced small onion in a pan.
    2) Add diced garlic, cumin, paprika.
    3) Throw a can of whole peeled tomatoes with liquid in and break them up a bit. A little water if it seems a bit thick.
    4) Simmer for 15 and add salt to taste, then break 4 eggs in gently and cover until eggs are set.
    5) Add any Parsley, feta and/or grated Parmesan you like.

Lovely meal... good wit pita bread... and as I said any left overs can then be spread on a pizza base the next day for sauce.

Advertisement