Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pre Budget Alcohol Deals

• 28-11-2012 11:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭
    M

As this coming Wednesday is the Budget I thought it fitting to add all current alcohol deals I am aware of in to one thread. With all the uncertainty this could be the final week of the €1 can or the €20 litre of spirits.

Here's the deals I know of, please add any others you come across.

Tesco
    2 for €40 litre bottles of Bushmills, Paddy, Captain Morgan, Cork Dry Gin, Bacardi, Smirnoff.
    Huzzar Vodka 1 litre €20
    Guinness 24x500ml €24
    Budweiser 24x500ml €24
    Corona 12x355ml 2 for €25
    Coors Light, Heineken, Miller 20x330ml bottles 2 for €30

SuperValu
    Baileys 700ml €13
    Carlsberg 24x500ml €24
    Carling 24x500ml €20
    Guinness 24x500ml €25
    Miller 24x500ml €20

Dunnes
    Absolut Vodka 1 litre €20
    Jack Daniels 700ml €22
    Carlsberg 24x500ml €24
    Miller 24x500ml €20
    Bulmers Litre bottles 3 for €10, includes light

Aldi
    Guinness 24x500ml €24 (from this Sunday)

Don't see a great night wasted, drink sensibly, etc etc etc :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Government will rise taxes on alcohol in the budget citing health as the reason

Dont be fooled

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

The end of the €1 can. :(

I wept as I read that line :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

I'm still workin on last years pre budget panic buy stockpile!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The drink store are doing a special on some out of date stout, still gets you wobbly 24 bottles for €20 http://www.drinkstore.ie/WORLD-%26-CRAFT-BEER-IRELAND/

There's some celebration stout there as well, aged in a whiskey cask. It's about 3.50 a bottle but will blow the britches off you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭Pique

marketty wrote: »
    Cripes. How much did you buy???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

People will cross the border and stock up and sell on to mates. Revenue collected will fall as a result so the rate will drop again. At least unless this 45p per unit happens in the North.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,092 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Worry not, it'll be back;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

this could be the final week of the €1 can

Well its 75c per can of Galahad (think that's the name of it) in Aldi. Probably prefer to drink the sweat off a fat lads underwear that ran the Marathon though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,595 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Don't forget that if retailers raise prices right after an increase in alcohol excise DUTY (as opposed to VAT), chances are they're ripping you off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭thefa

People will cross the border and stock up and sell on to mates. Revenue collected will fall as a result so the rate will drop again. At least unless this 45p per unit happens in the North.
    Unless a large new tax is imposed and it was completely passed onto the customer, I doubt it would lead to much more people buying in the north than those who already do. A lot of the country is not within as easy proximity as the border counties you have in mind so it's not as simple as sending x for a spin up the road to buy us all cheaper drink. Also, I think a lot of people buying drink from retailers don't necessarily plan ahead and it is a case of buying the cans/bottles in small quantities on the day or days leading up to the night with things like Christmas or important party being something that might be planned for and when the kind mate driving up to the north for the drink might come in handy. 5% for example wouldn't change many people's mind I don't think but saying this on the bargain alerts forum won't get much support.I'd fancy a reduction in disposable income leading to a greater fall in revenue collected on drink than a minor tax would but there's always money found for drink anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭bored_newbie

The drink store are doing a special on some out of date stout, still gets you wobbly 24 bottles for €20 http://www.drinkstore.ie/WORLD-%26-CRAFT-BEER-IRELAND/

There's some celebration stout there as well, aged in a whiskey cask. It's about 3.50 a bottle but will blow the britches off you.

Have you used that site? Are they reliable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

Drinkstore are grand. Never ordered online as they are in Stoneybatter. They have an amazing selection of craft beer.

Cheers. I'm tempted to get some of the lesser available ones from them online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Tesco still has the 25% off 6 bottles of wine of more offer (online deffo):

Buylist_Wines-1148.jpg

Here's a coupon to go with it:

€10 OFF when you spend €60 or more.
    Your eCoupon code is RXX6JH4

Use this eCoupon code at the online grocery checkout when you place a grocery order for delivery up to and including Sunday 9th December 2012*

quaalude wrote: »
    Tesco still has the 25% off 6 bottles of wine of more offer (online deffo):

Buylist_Wines-1148.jpg

Here's a coupon to go with it:

€10 OFF when you spend €60 or more.
    Your eCoupon code is RXX6JH4

Use this eCoupon code at the online grocery checkout when you place a grocery order for delivery up to and including Sunday 9th December 2012*

I notice Tesco have two options - "Provide Substitutions" OR "Dont substitute" when your chosen wine is out of stock. Has anyone any experience of this in relation to wine? ie would they replace your chosen wine with just any old wine or give you the best match possible(and more expensive if necessary)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

looking at getting 6 bottles of wine,i put them in the basket online,it didnt give me the discount yet?does it do it once the order is put through.also, that code didnt work for me, i think that is because i used one similar through fatcheese before

I notice Tesco have two options - "Provide Substitutions" OR "Dont substitute" when your chosen wine is out of stock. Has anyone any experience of this in relation to wine? ie would they replace your chosen wine with just any old wine or give you the best match possible(and more expensive if necessary)

I've ordered wine many, many times, and never was the one I ordered out-of-stock, so I've never been given a substitution.
    However, their customer service is excellent, so if you were very unlucky, and your chosen wine was out-of-stock, and they gave you a substitution you didn't like, you'd just tell them you weren't happy and they'd refund, with no arguing.
    (This has happened to me before, with other groceries).

bri007 wrote: »
    looking at getting 6 bottles of wine,i put them in the basket online,it didnt give me the discount yet?does it do it once the order is put through.also, that code didnt work for me, i think that is because i used one similar through fatcheese before

I'm not sure but maybe the 10% code is for first orders?

However, I am on the 'Confirm Order' page and the 25% off has not been deducted from my 12 bottles of wine.

However, I am on the 'Confirm Order' page and the 25% off has not been deducted from my 12 bottles of wine.

Let me know if you get the discount. I think the discount is only for first order,your right :( still good deal do on the wine if its 25% discount :D

• Advertisement

That 6 bottles of wine discount isn't made at the checkout - it's made when payment is taken (confusing I know).
    So when you get the receipt from the driver, you'll see the discount then.

That 6 bottles of wine discount isn't made at the checkout - it's made when payment is taken (confusing I know).

Thanks:D yes bit confusing, but once we get the discount thats the most important thing,I see Sol is reduced to 10 euro now aswel for a case of 12:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭kn

Are you donating your body to science?? :D

The 10 euro off code I posted isn't for first time orders, it's for any order.

And they deduct the 25% when they take payment, not at the checkout.

....and you said earlier that you are living where exactly????:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

Mayo Gurl wrote: »
    ....and you said earlier that you are living where exactly????:D

Not in mayo I'm afraid...pity, I could do with a hand clearing a slab of bulmers pear I have so long it's gonna go off (what was I thinkin buyin that)

Not in mayo I'm afraid...pity, I could do with a hand clearing a slab of bulmers pear I have so long it's gonna go off (what was I thinkin buyin that)

I'm having a Bud at the moment, one of the €1 Tesco ones from a couple of weeks back....I'll just have to suffer on :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Theres some fantastic deals to be had on drink in a bar in Dublin City Centre at the moment.

Problem is that the bar is inside Leinster House.:pac::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭TingTong

I have said in a past post that Tesco's pricing can be quite cynical from time to time.....here is an example.

My particular wine of choice would be Wolf Blass Cabernet/Shiraz mix. Before the 25% discount offer this wine was priced at €7.00 per bottle. This means with the 5% normal discount six bottles of this wine would cost €39.90.

Cut to the 25% discount offer and hey presto, by magic Tesco increase the price of this wine by €1.00 to €8.00 per bottle. Now my same six bottles cost me €36.00 a saving of €3.90. Now I know a saving of nearly €4.00 is nothing to be sneezed at but why Tesco do you have to raise the original price of the wine by €1.00. They are doing this with all the wines, have a look at the prices of the wine on December 12th when this current offer is over and you will see what I mean.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,878 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Superquinn - Bailey's 70cl - 10 euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

paddy147 wrote: »
    Theres some fantastic deals to be had on drink in a bar in Dublin City Centre at the moment.

Problem is that the bar is inside Leinster House.:pac::rolleyes:

Haven't they only got their licence recently, after years and years and years of illegal drinking there without a licence :mad:

Phoenix wrote: »
    How much will the price of a can go up by?

Speculation is that it could be as much as 20c a pint.

Lidl have from tomorrow 6 cans of Heineken for €6 plus wine offers for 6 bottles that work out at €3.33/€3.53 and €3.63 per bottle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

TingTong wrote: »
    I have said in a past post that Tesco's pricing can be quite cynical from time to time.....here is an example.

My particular wine of choice would be Wolf Blass Cabernet/Shiraz mix. Before the 25% discount offer this wine was priced at €7.00 per bottle. This means with the 5% normal discount six bottles of this wine would cost €39.90.

Cut to the 25% discount offer and hey presto, by magic Tesco increase the price of this wine by €1.00 to €8.00 per bottle. Now my same six bottles cost me €36.00 a saving of €3.90. Now I know a saving of nearly €4.00 is nothing to be sneezed at but why Tesco do you have to raise the original price of the wine by €1.00. They are doing this with all the wines, have a look at the prices of the wine on December 12th when this current offer is over and you will see what I mean.:rolleyes:

Have to agree with you on this, I noticed the price went up of usual stuff also. snakes.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Geuze wrote: »
    Superquinn - Bailey's 70cl - 10 euro
    Back up to €15 ("Was €18.99") in Superquinn Finglas today.

70cl Kahlua is €18 in Tesco.

• Advertisement

Just a heads up that Dunnes' deals end tomorrow. Tesco goes onto the 11th I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Wider Road

Supervalu have 18 cans of Bulmers for €20 & 24 cans of Bud for €24 in Cashel.

The impact of the budget I reckon is:

10c on the pint = 9c on the 500ml can and 6cent on a 330ml bottle;
    10c on the measure of spirits works out at around €2 on the bottle of spirits (circa 20 measures in a standard 70cl bottle);
    €1 on the bottle of wine.

So get out their and stock up on your wine and spirits but beer and cider will not be half as effected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Most prices wont go up till the new year as shops will have bought in all their Xmass stock already...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

unklerosco wrote: »
    Most prices wont go up till the new year as shops will have bought in all their Xmass stock already...

that's the way I've always understood it, or some may decide to absorb the increase for a week or two, but their probably well covered.

Same with cigs can always get them at old price for a while in places that don't want to make a killing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Anyone got any theories on the governments plan with this €1 increase in excise on wine?
    Is it the influence of the Vintners, trying to get people to stop drinking at home? (Pint only went up 10c) And trying to stem the flow of customers into restaurants instead of pubs? Restaurants will feel the effect in a big way, as customers often buy a bottle with a meal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Anyone got any theories on the governments plan with this €1 increase in excise on wine?
    Is it the influence of the Vintners, trying to get people to stop drinking at home? (Pint only went up 10c) And trying to stem the flow of customers into restaurants instead of pubs? Restaurants will feel the effect in a big way, as customers often buy a bottle with a meal.

My Dad works for a fairly large distributor of wine and was telling me wine is far cheaper now that it was during the boom times... Figures the gov realise that (they're quick to cop these things) and figure €1 wont stop people buying a bottle. I'm not sure it's gonna have a massive effect on the public buying wine.. As is usually the way with these things, manufacturers/suppliers will absorb some if not all of the cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

What about the 2% VAT increase? Or did I mis-hear? That could add an extra 10c to a €5 pint making these offo deals even more vital to know about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

unklerosco wrote: »
    I'm not sure it's gonna have a massive effect on the public buying wine.. As is usually the way with these things, manufacturers/suppliers will absorb some if not all of the cost.

My expectations too. If the manufacturers / suppliers take at least a substantial part of the increase, people will still buy the same. If all wine will be a full €1 higher, more people will buy in the North. Maybe some people will switch to other alcoholic drinks

It will have NO change whatsoever on spending in pubs / restaurants...

I went ahead with the wine purchase and delivery from tesco.
    I ordered 12 bottles and the deliverer assured me there were no substitutions because it would be written on the receipt if there was.
    One of the bottle had been substituted - instead of a €6 Pinot Grigio that was on half price, I got a €6 Tesco Finest Vermentino which is supposedly reduced from 13.99. I haven't tried it before so will keep the substitute rather than going back in to replace it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Looks like all shops are honouring prices until stock/offers are gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭thegift06

Anyone find any Corona 12x355ml 2 for €25, i have been checking 3 or 4 tescos on a regular basis and cant find it anywhere, when I did eventually find it some dude rushed infront of me and filled his trolley with the last one, giving him a total of 8 boxes of corona. Ok fair enough he got there before me but 8, come on

thegift06 wrote: »
    Anyone find any Corona 12x355ml 2 for €25, i have been checking 3 or 4 tescos on a regular basis and cant find it anywhere, when I did eventually find it some dude rushed infront of me and filled his trolley with the last one, giving him a total of 8 boxes of corona. Ok fair enough he got there before me but 8, come on

You should of stole his trolly when he was looking at other stuff on the shelf :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

thegift06 wrote: »

They are in Tesco Douglas, and Mahon Point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭thegift06

You should of stole his trolly when he was looking at other stuff on the shelf :D

I actually nearly did, they were filling the shelves with all new stock and I thought it was the workers trolley for some reason. I took my 2 boxes from the trolley and told the worker that I had asked to check in the back for extra stock that I had found them. Then he explained that it wasnt stock but that it was some customers trolley. I nearly cried when I had to put them back in the trolley :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement