Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

default video player cant see folders on PC

Options
  • 28-11-2012 11:31pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I have my xbox360 connected to a PC for watching videos. I tend not to use the Media centre app for playing videos as it wont play .avi movies 90% of the time, and the default player will. (Media centre is such a total pain really, I would rather not use it at all).

Recently though I have found that the xbox video player can no longer the folders on my pc when browsing for movies, even though Media centre can see all these folders.

Does anyone know how I can get the xbox video player to see folders, or where the settings for this might be? I have the appropriate file sharing options set up on the pc, and everything was working perfectly up to a couple of days ago.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭mr.noobie

Pretty sure you have to add the folders your videos are in to your library in windows media player for them to appear on your 360

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

You could also ditch Media Player, and use something like TVersity, which would be much more compatible in terms of format?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

mr.noobie wrote: »
    Pretty sure you have to add the folders your videos are in to your library in windows media player for them to appear on your 360

All the relevant folders are added in media player, and can be browsed OK from the Xbox using media centre.
    Meesared wrote: »
    You could also ditch Media Player, and use something like TVersity, which would be much more compatible in terms of format?

I'll have to look into that one, havent heard of it. Is that downloaded via the xbox or onto the pc?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

On the PC

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Meesared wrote: »

Tversity have decided to no longer offer a free service and because of problems with it I refuse to pay, so I switched to ps3 media server which is free

Have not looked back since!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭ablelocks

I would also recommend ps3media server - have been using it since I upgraded to windows 8 (there's an issue with streaming to xbox) and it does the job perfectly.

mind you, I really liked media centre when I used it with windows 7, never had any issue with it bar one or 2 files that it wouldn't play, but most of my files are .avi videos.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Cheers guys, installed media server and I'm back in business. Much appreciated.

(if I could just figure out an easy way to get the xbox to play mp4 or mov files I'd be rightly set up!)

Advertisement