Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pros&Cons of DIT

Options
  • 28-11-2012 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭

I was looking to put DIT on my CAO Application, and I would like to know good and bad site about this place.

I checked few topics already but I prefer to make my own one with nice and simple answers.

So, how is the actual life in the campus? (If there is a campus)
    Is the nigh-life and teachers any good?
    Also what is bad about this collage?

Tell me about your opinions and experiences. Thanks!
    And please do not off-top too much...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭goreyguy

depends on your campus,

Kevin St. is pretty boring, the snackery is fine if not a bit crowded at lunch. Food is okay.
    Lecturers differ from module to module, some are very good others not so much.
    Nightlife? meh, never felt DIT had much of one, SU events have never been any good in my 3+ years.
    Not a lot of complaints, wish the wifi was better and the library opened earlier and there was more computer labs.
    Also wish exams were held before xmas and not after.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭bit of a bogey

It does depend on the campus you go to but for the most part, they are all fairly crap along with the facilities. Computer rooms, libraries, lecture halls are not upto the same standard as most universities.

For nightlife, it depends what sort of person you are. I always hear people giving out about the various DIT’s having no decent social scene. I personally wouldn’t pay any attention to that. It is what you make of it. The city really is your campus. If you are going to college in City Centre and you don’t have a good social life, it’s your own fault.

For the college itself, I do think it provides a good education. Some lectures are great, some are bad but you will get that in all 3rd level Education. What I will say is that it provides you with excellent insights and practical learning’s for industry - better than most other 3rd level colleges. I know some really smart people who struggled in university whilst I also know others who really excelled and found their niche whilst at DIT. That’s not to say DIT makes it easier, because they don’t, but I have found DIT to produce more rounded graduates equipped with the practical knowledge required for the real world.

I think it’s partially because of the good relationship lectures have with their students. It’s actually kind of close to secondary school except this time you’re treated like an adult! I find that this ongoing support and direction really gets the best out of people. You generally get this in most IT’s but is rare enough in Universities.

Overall, I say most of the DIT’s are good and I would recommend them in general. But firstly focus in the course your most interested in and the rest will hopefully fall into place and decide itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭goreyguy

agree, i wouldnt rely on dit to provide college nights, you just gotta do your own thing which isn't hard cause there is a lot of stuff to do in dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭dorkacle

So, how is the actual life in the campus? (If there is a campus)
    There are a couple of campus' around the city depending on what you pick to study

Business/Management - Aungier St.
    I find Aungier St. the most 'college campus' like atmosphere, its big enough and there is always something going on in the SU. They have the best library I would say. Plus there is a good mix of boys and girls. ;)

Computing/Science - Kevin St.
    Kevin Street is a bit old an rickety looking but I studied there before and everyone just makes the most of it really. Its only across the road from Aungier St. too so a lot of people head over there to hang out and play pool etc. Like most of DIT everyone is sound, its mainly lads in Kevin St. but there are a couple of women bucking the trend and floating about.

Engineering - Bolton St.
    Only been in Bolton St. on one or two occasions, its a big enough building, probably second after Aungier St. I would say. Old enough building too but they have done up some of it recently. Again there is usually something going on around the place. Mostly lads aswel as far as I could tell.

There are other small campus' such as Cathal Brugha St. and one in Temple bar, I think they do culinary arts and Drama/Film respectively. I haven't been in them them though.

Is the nigh-life and teachers any good?

As mentioned above, the night life is what you make of it really! This will also depend on the people and friends you make in your class! I had some of my best nights out with college friends, and we usually organise our own things.
    DIT's students union do offer loads of organised nights to go to though, the freshers ball in particular being one of the nights they go all out on!

Lectures for the most part are great and really helpful, and just want to see you do well really.
    Also what is bad about this collage?

I don't find anything particularly bad about the college ( I study in Aungier St.), they do the best with what they have. They could do with more resources overall though really.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Adriatic

The thing about DIT is there is no campus as such, once you step out of the building you are in city which in my view is a good thing, you will get to know the city well, in fact it is a necessity and will happen as time progresses without much effort.

The lecturers will get to know you on a first name basis and they may even become your friend believe it or not who you can have conversations with.

Night-life is in fact very good, DITSU Ents has a student night in Andrew's Lane Theatre every Monday, the odd comedy gig, and events for the seasons, and charity too. Freshers Week and the end of year Ball are the highlights. Generally people who want to get involved attend these events, so yes I agree with that; it is what you make of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭MaggieNF

Adriatic wrote: »
    The thing about DIT is there is no campus as such, once you step out of the building you are in city which in my view is a good thing, you will get to know the city well, in fact it is a necessity and will happen as time progresses without much effort.

The lecturers will get to know you on a first name basis and they may even become your friend believe it or not who you can have conversations with.

Night-life is in fact very good, DITSU Ents has a student night in Andrew's Lane Theatre every Monday, the odd comedy gig, and events for the seasons, and charity too. Freshers Week and the end of year Ball are the highlights. Generally people who want to get involved attend these events, so yes I agree with that; it is what you make of it.

I have to agree with everything said here. I have only been in DIT with a few months, Cathal Brugha Street, more specifically, and nearly all of my lecturers know me, the kitchen attendants, security, it really is a good thing to have in a college.
    In my opinion as well, they seem to care a lot more about how you are doing in comparison to some other places, I was in UCC and no one really seemed to care if you did work or dropped out or that, where as in DIT they really do want you to succeed and to do well which really helps with motivation I think.
    The location is definitely a big thing, being just off O' Connell Street or even in any of the campuses, you are very near to transport to go anywhere and shops are always near by.
    The only downside for me was finding somewhere to live as you are in the city. But there is no shortage of houses, so really it isn't too bad at all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭danish pasterys

Adriatic wrote: »

Im just curious why so many people complaining that theres no social nights an stuff but when i looked at the app event list all 2013 they had lots of socials and events planned ??? Esp for freshers week ??? So whats the deal there , do most the student just not show up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

Disadvantages of DIT:
    1.) It can take a while to reach DIT if you're commuting, because it's right in the city centre.
    2.) The sports facilities are not even nearly as good as in UCD.

Here are advantages :
    1.) If you want to do a course in DIT Bolton street in the area of engineering or architecture, the standard of tuition is excellent.
    2.) If you are into organising your own societies, there's no better college than DIT for it
    3.) If your are into night life, pubs and clubs are a couple of minutes walk from the college. So you can have your sessions after lectures without any delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Sprog 4

For nightlife, it depends what sort of person you are. I always hear people giving out about the various DIT’s having no decent social scene. I personally wouldn’t pay any attention to that. It is what you make of it. The city really is your campus. If you are going to college in City Centre and you don’t have a good social life, it’s your own fault.

This is absolutely true. Please don't base a decision to go to a university on the 'social scene' ;) You will make friends at any uni, and that's all that matters (from a social perspective).

Advertisement