Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, went from blonde to (almost) black

• 28-11-2012 11:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭

I've been threatening to do this for YEARS and finally went for it after a long consultation with my hairdresser, who I trust completely. I did a lot of research online before I made my decision, and tbh, there was absolutely loads of feedback from people who'd gone black-to-blonde, but very little from people who'd gone blonde-to-black. Most of those who had posted about it had done it DIY at home, and there was no way in hell I was doing that.

Anyway, my main concern was that I'd be able to get down as far as I wanted to go in one session - I had no interest in spending months with mousey-brown hair. Then, I also wanted to know if I could get back blonde in 2-3 sessions, again, no interest in it taking a year to get back up to where I was. Hairdresser said no issue in going properly dark in one go, but that I'll probably need to put a semi into it in about three weeks as it'll fade very fast because I'm so fair. Going back blonde, she said that when I decide I'm more or less finished with it, to start washing my hair with Head & Shoulders, and then three full heads of highlights should get me 90% back where I wanted. What really sold me on it, though, was the fact that she said that if I *really* loathed it, my hair was in good enough condition to stand a full stripping if it came to that, because I'd no bleach in it.

So, I took the plunge tonight. I'm still not sure what I think of it, I think it's going to take a lot of getting used to, but I thought I'd share the experience anyway. I'll post over the next few weeks about how much it's fading, etc.

Me on Saturday (on the left):

75260_10151515878982678_255730873_n.jpg

Me today (Wednesday):

18233_10151522812262678_2041171205_n.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I love it. It really suits you! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Wow, what a transformation! I think the brunette look suits you much better, you look younger!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Your hair looks in better condition now! I like it, the blonde was nice but this is better. The style is really nice too. Go you for posting it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

You look gorgeous as a brunette. I mean, you are gorgeous but I love the darker hair!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭anniehoo

You suit both colours, but the dark hair is WOW. It's very classy looking and looks really healthy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Thanks guys. I'm still not at all sure about it. Every time I catch a glimpse of it in a mirror or window I'm like "What the?"

Tbh, I'll probably stick with it for a few months and then go back blonde in the spring. I'm naturally blonde and that's kind of where my heart lies, but I am glad I did this as I've ALWAYS wondered what it would look like!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Honey-ec wrote: »
    I've been threatening to do this for YEARS and finally went for it after a long consultation with my hairdresser, who I trust completely. I did a lot of research online before I made my decision, and tbh, there was absolutely loads of feedback from people who'd gone black-to-blonde, but very little from people who'd gone blonde-to-black. Most of those who had posted about it had done it DIY at home, and there was no way in hell I was doing that.

Anyway, my main concern was that I'd be able to get down as far as I wanted to go in one session - I had no interest in spending months with mousey-brown hair. Then, I also wanted to know if I could get back blonde in 2-3 sessions, again, no interest in it taking a year to get back up to where I was. Hairdresser said no issue in going properly dark in one go, but that I'll probably need to put a semi into it in about three weeks as it'll fade very fast because I'm so fair. Going back blonde, she said that when I decide I'm more or less finished with it, to start washing my hair with Head & Shoulders, and then three full heads of highlights should get me 90% back where I wanted. What really sold me on it, though, was the fact that she said that if I *really* loathed it, my hair was in good enough condition to stand a full stripping if it came to that, because I'd no bleach in it.

So, I took the plunge tonight. I'm still not sure what I think of it, I think it's going to take a lot of getting used to, but I thought I'd share the experience anyway. I'll post over the next few weeks about how much it's fading, etc.

Me on Saturday (on the left):

75260_10151515878982678_255730873_n.jpg

Me today (Wednesday):

18233_10151522812262678_2041171205_n.jpg

New hair is fab. Buy a colour bomb ASAP it will be your new best friend! I did a similar transformation last may, hairdresser pre pigmented it first, then did a Revlon permanent colour I colour bomb every week and barely had any fading, got another revlon permanent colour last week in July again colour bomb every week and got a semi colour 1st week in November again am colour bombing every week and literally have no fading! I am using 513 I previously have used 411 also.
    http://www.ukhairdressers.com/store/details.asp?ID=Revnutricolorcreme

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

When you do decide to remove it I would use colour b4 on it first to get it as light as possible before getting it stripped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

Really suits you, you look fab!

I totally get the 'culture shock' you're getting every time you look in the mirror. I'm naturally a dark brunette & went blonde for about a year, recently went back again & every time I looked in the mirror I'd nearly jump at my reflection, just so hard to adjust to the darkness again! Doesn't last long though, after a week or two you'll have settled into it.

Goes without saying, but absolutely condition the **** out of your hair, add lots of moisture & do some regular protein treatments if you can. Such a drastic change can really take its toll on your hair & the stripping will be tough on it too. I'm now dealing with badly damaged hair after month on month of highlights, bleach, then the stripping to get back to my normal colour & my stylist says it'll probably take it a year to get back to full health.

At the end of the day healthy shiny hair is what matters.

Enjoy your brunette adventure! :)

beks101 wrote: »
    I'm now dealing with badly damaged hair after month on month of highlights, bleach, then the stripping to get back to my normal colour & my stylist says it'll probably take it a year to get back to full health.

Philip Kingsley Elasticizer is the bomb for damaged hair, It's a pre shampoo treatment. It's expensive but worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭Lucyn

You look a million % better as a brunette! It's gorgeous on you and looks really healthy. I would definately stay with that colour as it suits you much better and brings out your features such as your eyes much more.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

It looks really well! I did the opposite, and went from dark to red to blonde and I still shock myself the odd time wandering past a mirror and I find that a lot of people don't recognise me, tis great :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

I think you look better brunnette. You are stunning both ways though but don't change back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

It's fab!!! You look much more sophisticated as a brunette. I gotta say I did not expect for a blonde to be able to go black and have it suit them just as well, if not better. You look gorgeous!! Well done on having the balls to do it :)

So, we're a week in, and my mind is made up - I don't like it :( I just feel it's really washing me out, despite the fact that I've changed my make-up and started wearing a bit more fake tan.

I also do online dating and there has literally been a deafening silence on my profile since I changed my picture to the dark hair.

Added to all this, I just don't think it's "me". Like I said, I'm naturally blonde and I just feel like that's where I should be. I know your hair doesn't define you, but I look in the mirror now and I just go "You don't look like you anymore." I'm not explaining this very well, I know!

Anyway, I'm not going to get it stripped - I don't hate it that much - but I am going to let it fade up and I'll be getting the first full head of highlights in it in January. And, in spite of all this, I'm actually not sorry I got it done. I'd always wondered what it would look like and now I know :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Well, for what it's worth, I think the dark hair suits you a lot more, and if I was still in my dating days, I'd be more interested in your profile with the dark hair! :)

But how you feel about it is very important and if it's not for you, then it's not. Fair play for trying it anyhow...

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭CarMe

As a dark haired girl myself my heart usually always with dark hair and i think both pics are really fab but actually I prefer it blonde!!

Either way both is lovely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

I like it both ways, although it definitely has a more sophisticated look dark.

I know what you mean about looking washed out though, I had mine black for a year or so and I thought I looked wonderfully gothic and pale and interesting, but in winter everyone kept asking me if I was ill :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭tipptopper

So, we're a week in, and my mind is made up - I don't like it :( I just feel it's really washing me out, despite the fact that I've changed my make-up and started wearing a bit more fake tan.

I also do online dating and there has literally been a deafening silence on my profile since I changed my picture to the dark hair.

Added to all this, I just don't think it's "me". Like I said, I'm naturally blonde and I just feel like that's where I should be. I know your hair doesn't define you, but I look in the mirror now and I just go "You don't look like you anymore." I'm not explaining this very well, I know!

Anyway, I'm not going to get it stripped - I don't hate it that much - but I am going to let it fade up and I'll be getting the first full head of highlights in it in January. And, in spite of all this, I'm actually not sorry I got it done. I'd always wondered what it would look like and now I know :)

You look absolutely beautiful with the new hair colour, really suits you. PM me for more compliments ha ha ha :D

I'm going to go against the tide here and say that while both look fantastic, I think Blonde You has the edge on Brunette You. For the same reasons you've stated yourself, you have more colour and light with blonde and the dark is a little draining.

They both really look good though, its just a slight edge. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Experiment a bit more with make-up and clothes. You'd be surprised the difference with stronger shades of blush or lip colour can do. Same goes for different coloured clothes.

Thanks for all the lovely comments, guys :)

Lar, I've already changed my foundation & bronzer, and started wearing more "berry" shades of lip gloss. Also changed from my usual uniform of black everything to more creams, camels & beiges, but I think, fundamentally, the colour's just not me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

Obviously how you feel is more important but I have to say, the brunette is gorgeous on you.
    You hair looks in much better condition.

What's funny to me is, in the 1st picture you blend in. There's nothing to set you apart from your friends.
    But if you had the brunette hair in it, my eyes would go to you first.

Both colours are nice, brunette wins, but well done for having the guts to change.
    I went the opposite and loved being blonde, but now that I've gone back to brunette I've realised it looks so much better. Better condition, shine etc.
    I think as a brunette you have more options for eye-make up which I love.
    I simply couldn't do smokey as a blonde as something was 'off'.

Hope you get the colour back to how you want. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

Obviously how you feel is more important but I have to say, the brunette is gorgeous on you.
    You hair looks in much better condition.

What's funny to me is, in the 1st picture you blend in. There's nothing to set you apart from your friends.

I would be of the complete opposite opinion to that. Think she stands out in that pic.

Anyways, was just going to say I way prefer the cut and style of the brunette hairdo think it's deadly, but I much prefer the blonde colour.
    I reckon you could get away with wearing little or no makeup with the blonde hair, but if you are pale might need more with the brunette which I know from experience can be very annoying.
    Your skin looks radiant and glowing in first picture and you look very youthful.

Not saying the brunette colour looks bad because it's actually nice too, just on personal preference I think blonde suits you better if I am giving an honest opinion.

Anyways, was just going to say I way prefer the cut and style of the brunette hairdo think it's deadly, but I much prefer the blonde colour.

My hair was actually cut the same way in the blonde pic, you just couldn't tell cause I had it curled that night :)

Here's what it looked like normally.

486991_10151536102572678_287972815_n.jpg

And another one with the dark, in which I look like the last person to hear that the Cure split up...

12151_10151536108847678_880555513_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭verywell

FWIW I think the darker hair is much more suited to your skin tone (which is mad considering you are a natural blond)

Unless it is just the flash on the camera?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭vibrantblue

I think you look gorgeous with both hair colours, which is amazing. Very few people can pull of both blonde and brunette! As a dark brunette myself, I am of course biased and like the brunette look a bit better ;)

But it is your hair. You should do whatever makes you happy. But I understand you to an extent. I ombred my hair, which is a minor change, especially comparing with your change. But even with that, I had to adjust my make-up and everything a little bit. And it feels a bit weird when I see myself in the mirror.

In short, you look great with both colours. Do what makes you happy! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

My hair was actually cut the same way in the blonde pic, you just couldn't tell cause I had it curled that night :)

Here's what it looked like normally.

486991_10151536102572678_287972815_n.jpg

And another one with the dark, in which I look like the last person to hear that the Cure split up...

12151_10151536108847678_880555513_n.jpg

Ah I see, didn't notice the same cut when it was curled.
    Tbh by posting those two new pictures I am less sure about which colour I prefer!

In the first set of photos I much preferred the blonde hair picture, but in the second set of photos I actually think both colours look equally as good.

I'd nearly go as far to say that I prefer the brunette in the second set of photos even though I prefer the blonde in first set.

I mentioned you look very radiant with the blonde hair but in the second set of photos that statement also holds very true with the brunette colour. You have me confused! :confused::D

I get what you mean by saying that you are not sure if it's you though. I went from platinum to black before and I was never mad on it. It just did not suit me at all, I looked very washed out and as a result I just felt very dull and plain janeish looking.
    Got the most compliments when I dyed my hair red though. I think anyone who suits blonde often suits shades of red too.
    I always go back to some shade of blonde though, I am a warm honey blonde at the minute, I've been fair since I was a child and it just feels like "me" so I can totally get where you are coming from when you say that.

However I can assure you that you don't have the same problems I had with the brunette, you seem to be one of the lucky ones who can pull off both the blonde and brunette. Lucky you! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

I think you look better as a brunette!

The colour makes your eyes pop! And I think you could wear stronger colours.

Defo doesnt look anything near goth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

I LOVE your hair brunette, but similarly, I think it's lovely blonde.

If you're not happy with it being dark, change it. No point in having hair a colour you don't like just because other people like it.

I'm naturally blonde and have been dyeing my hair dark colours since I was 12. Everyone tells me to go back to blonde, but I absolutely never will because I hated it, so I can see where you're coming from a little. You like the blonde hair, others may prefer the brunette, but ultimately, you have to go with the colour you prefer.

FWIW, you carry both colours off wonderfully. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I really like the brown! But I see what you mean. I'm naturally blonde, and while I would love to see what my hair is like darker, I can't bring myself to do it :o I think blonde is part of *me*...or something. The brown hair does look great on you though!

Might dye my hair red sometime for the laugh.

So, I'm ready to start fading out the black, have heard that both Head & Shoulders and Johnson's Baby Shampoo are good for fading colour, anyone got any recommendations either way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Thanks for all the lovely comments, guys :)

Lar, I've already changed my foundation & bronzer, and started wearing more "berry" shades of lip gloss. Also changed from my usual uniform of black everything to more creams, camels & beiges, but I think, fundamentally, the colour's just not me.

With dark hair you tend to need more colour ie reds, pinks, blues, greens. Very few dark hair people look well wearing creams, beiges etc unless your lucky enough to have tan/olive skin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Your hair is gorgeous either way, you're so lucky! I do also think it looks better blonde though. It looks so shiny and in great condition. The brunette is lovely too but I prefer blonde. Would you consider trying a darker honey blonde colour before you go back to light blonde? I think that would be really nice on you, and more sophisticated than very light or very dark. Something along the lines of this:

honey_blonde_hair_color_6.jpg

I'll probably end up that colour for a while anyway, IBC, but to be honest, it's exactly the kind of colour I was hoping to avoid, sorry! I just think it's very "meh". Absolutely no offence intended to anyone who has hair that colour, btw, it's just not for me. But like I said, I'll probably have to spend a few weeks there midway through the getting-rid-of process...

Anyway, an update - I'm five (I think) washes in since I got the colour done and it's finally starting to fade up a bit. I'll book in for my first head of highlights in January and once Christmas is out of the way, I'll start washing it with Head & Shoulders/Johnson's baby shampoo to speed up the fading process.

In other news, blonde roots on dark hair make you look like you're going bald! Attractive!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

I'll probably end up that colour for a while anyway, IBC, but to be honest, it's exactly the kind of colour I was hoping to avoid, sorry! I just think it's very "meh". Absolutely no offence intended to anyone who has hair that colour, btw, it's just not for me. But like I said, I'll probably have to spend a few weeks there midway through the getting-rid-of process...

Anyway, an update - I'm five (I think) washes in since I got the colour done and it's finally starting to fade up a bit. I'll book in for my first head of highlights in January and once Christmas is out of the way, I'll start washing it with Head & Shoulders/Johnson's baby shampoo to speed up the fading process.

In other news, blonde roots on dark hair make you look like you're going bald! Attractive!

My roots are blonde too, a mate thought I had grey hair once when I was fading out a dark dye, because she'd never seen my natural colour. :pac:

If you have a conditioning treatment you could use after, I know it sounds weird but Fairy Liquid strips dye out of hair really well, too. I wouldn't use it every day obviously (!) but for a quick fix it has helped me a lot in the past!

It probably won't fade a huge amount more after the initial couple of months, a lot of the dye tends to stick and those shampoos may make it look very dull, When it doesn't look like it's getting any lighter you would be better off using a good shampoo and conditioner for your hair type to keep it in tip top condition for when you start getting the highlights in.

Tayla wrote: »
    It probably won't fade a huge amount more after the initial couple of months, a lot of the dye tends to stick and those shampoos may make it look very dull, When it doesn't look like it's getting any lighter you would be better off using a good shampoo and conditioner for your hair type to keep it in tip top condition for when you start getting the highlights in.

My hair's in really good condition anyway, so the highlights will be fine. I'll still condition and MoroccanOil as normal with the H&S, so I'm not worried about dullness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Ella

My hair's in really good condition anyway, so the highlights will be fine. I'll still condition and MoroccanOil as normal with the H&S, so I'm not worried about dullness.
    Get some Bumble and Bumble for your roots for now.

But there will be no point in using the H&S if it's not going to fade it anymore. unless of course you prefer the shampoo to what you had been using.

• Advertisement

Tayla wrote: »
    But there will be no point in using the H&S if it's not going to fade it anymore. unless of course you prefer the shampoo to what you had been using.

I haven't even started with the H&S yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Ava_e

I'm a natural blonde but I used to love changing my hair colour, I've been bright red and blue black. Sometimes it works but other times it drains all the colour from my face, so that I have to change my make up to get a bit of glow back.

I think you look great either way, but when you check out a reflection of yourself in the mirror and feel a bit meh, I think you know it's not for you.

H&S was a great/quick way to fade out the shade I didn't like. Just use loads of Aussie after :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭xLexie

The brown hair is nice. Not really a fan of the blonde.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CuriousG

Both are lovely, but personally, the dark looks better on you.

Advertisement