Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The elephant in the room thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I wonder if they extracted all of the oil before crushing it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I wonder if they realised that some of the bodywork is aluminimum and should have been seperated from the steel before they crushed it to enhance the thirty bucks worth of scrap they ended up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

seen this on donedeal today is this actually a common or even a potential swap.? always makes me a little suspicious when the magical handy year of 1979 is the 1st thing mentioned on the ad itself.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1979-p100-on-vintage-granada-chassie/5737489

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

davycc wrote: »
    seen this on donedeal today is this actually a common or even a potential swap.?

Jump back a month in this thread to P23 / post #336 when it was talked about: Here's a link: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=86753319

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

macplaxton wrote: »
    Jump back a month in this thread to P23 / post #336 when it was talked about: Here's a link: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=86753319

Thanks for the link....clears up any slim chance of it actually being a full chassis swap & not a ringer/elephant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Esel

seen this on donedeal today is this actually a common or even a potential swap.? always makes me a little suspicious when the magical handy year of 1979 is the 1st thing mentioned on the ad itself.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1979-p100-on-vintage-granada-chassie/5737489
    The 'exhaust' pipes would take a nice core sample from a pedestrian if the veh-ic-le reversed into them....

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

You can see the rear lower control arm from the Granada in one of the pictures, but it takes more than a front and rear subframe to make a chassis.
    So maybe he welded the floorpan from a Granada to a p100, I hope he used lots of strengthening in the right places:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭tuborg_man

There was a very similar (ie the exact same) p100 for sale in meath about 2 years ago, It passed through a few hands on an early 90's plate, it has bee for sale quiet a lot unless the back lights and highly usefull stick on exhaust / tow bar combo are a common copy.
    (I do know that nobody is fooled by this particular ringing ford)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

hi5 wrote: »
    You can see the rear lower control arm from the Granada in one of the pictures, but it takes more than a front and rear subframe to make a chassis.
    So maybe he welded the floorpan from a Granada to a p100, I hope he used lots of strengthening in the right places:eek:

Sounds like a death trap. I hope it is not being used on public roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

These 'chassis swops' are getting out of control , what next , a 'vintage' Lexus LS430 with a 'Datsun pickup chassis' :mad::mad:

• Advertisement

Capri wrote: »
    These 'chassis swops' are getting out of control , what next , a 'vintage' Lexus LS430 with a 'Datsun pickup chassis' :mad::mad:

Ah yes, I guess there is a Fred in the Shed building one as we speak. How he is going to Insure it may be a more complex matter.;)

Here's a little feature from the US

http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/current-pics-of-a-series-iia-land-rover-project-1453834144

with this
    '....Ladies and Gents, this is "Busted", a '64 short wheelbase currently growing from a new galvanized chassis, depicted here courtesy my new potato.........

Notice the 'new galvanized chassis' which implies that the old chassis (the basis of Irish chassis swops :rolleyes: ) is not suitable for purpose - i.e. FECKED (like the 2000-2003 Toyota (HiLux) Tacoma - https://www.google.co.nz/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=&oq=tacoma+chassis+rust&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4ADRA_enIE451IE451&q=tacoma+frame+rust+buyback+&gs_l=hp..2.0i22i30l5.0.0.0.9828...........0.cWbdgQsT3zY
    http://cdn.tundraheadquarters.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/00-03-toyota-tundra-frame-rust-replacement.jpg

In a nutshell, most resto worldwide replace the chassis frame with a new galvanised frame, only in Ireland do we do the opposite - put a rusty pre-80 frame onto a newish Discovery / ?? /?? :mad::mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Basil Fawlty

The P100 owner is clearly a fool who thinks he's being smart. Granada MK2s had totally different floor pans to a Sierra. Also a P100 is only a ladder frame chassis from the rear bulkhead backwards. This one on donedeal shows a rear P100 ladder chassis with a Sierra rear subframe fitted. http://cars.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/ford-p100-4x4-cosworth/5737886

In relation to people getting upset over the Discoverys you have no hard evidence to prove they were not done properly, chassis swaps are legal. Despite what people keep saying here the chassis do in fact last longer than the bodies and are easy to repair, blast and galvanise. Range Rover Classics are hard to find without needing bodywork underneath, only the exterior panels are aluminium and the shell rusts underneath and unseen. Discos are in better condition due to age and also have seven seats making them more practical. In the photo of the last Discovery posted you can see its on a galvanised chassis. Personally I would restore a Range Rover before doing the Disco swap as they RR is a better looking car and you do leave yourself open to suspicion by people who dont know any better.

... and you do leave yourself open to suspicion by people who don't know any better.
    Fup them.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I saw a modern style LR Defender on a '76 G' plate last week in Newbridge ...I thought "I wouldnt mind having one like that myself someday soon" (the 'all legal' variety ofcourse) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

[ In the photo of the last Discovery posted you can see its on a galvanised chassis.

You have better eyesight than me!

Just seen ad for Lancer Evo X
    'MITSUBISHI EVOLUTION X'

FQ300 model

Immaculate Condition inside and out

Completely standard car, no modifications.The car is on the old tax system so its only E710 to tax for the year as apposed to E2100 if was registered any later. May part exchange for an audi a4 estate (2009)

Interesting take on the tax on newer cars. Is this the new co2 tax system charging more for performance cars ??

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Is this the new co2 tax system charging more for performance cars ??

Not necessary. It's just the that some small cc cars have high CO2 output and some large cc cars have low CO2 output. Doesn't matter what system is in place, if the system is changed, there will be winners and losers.

• Advertisement

Yeah, some asked recently on this forum about having to pay €750 p.a. tax on a 1.6 automatic Focus. Turned out it was the correct (new - i.e. CO2 based) rate.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭adunis

Its worse than zv plates,4423ie,a Leyland being worn by a black 90s defender

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Just seen ad for Lancer Evo X

Interesting take on the tax on newer cars. Is this the new co2 tax system charging more for performance cars ??

A mk1 TT would cost nearly 2k to tax if it was on emissions. ...

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

http://cars.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/vintage-landrover/5926638
    Make / ModelYear LAND ROVER SEARIES 1979 TransmissionFuel TypeEngine Size MANUAL DEISEL - BodyMileage 3 Door - - Road TaxNCT Due - May 2014 LANDROVER 3.VINTAGE ,FOR PARTS ONLY, with choice of tax book, 79 or 83 vintage.book not sold seprated.EURS,950 the lot.

Price: € 950

kasper wrote: »
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/vintage-landrover/5926638
    Make / ModelYear LAND ROVER SEARIES 1979 TransmissionFuel TypeEngine Size MANUAL DEISEL - BodyMileage 3 Door - - Road TaxNCT Due - May 2014 LANDROVER 3.VINTAGE ,FOR PARTS ONLY, with choice of tax book, 79 or 83 vintage.book not sold seprated.EURS,950 the lot.

Price: € 950

As. is gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

Just popped in here to ask a question, but may have the answer in last few posts, I was in an out of the way place this week and saw an 84 range rover, parked up years. So I am wondering, since these vehicles can be the basis for a legitimate body swop, how much would it be worth?. I know the people who own it and will ask, but would like to know what it would fetch if I owned it.
    The reason I said I may have seen the answer on here if the two rovers above were for salefor 950 for the pair.

Its worth about 1500 if its anyway salvageable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Anyone else see the explanation in this months Irish Vintage scene as to why the two imported Model T's in a previous issue had original south Tipp (FI) regs on them...

Nope. Care to tell us?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Nope. Care to tell us?

They are only show plates used off road for period effect.
    Guess that is the same for everything else too.

Advertisement