Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The elephant in the room thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

corktina wrote: »
    indeed and the State could be earning from this rather than some chancer with an old book. Personal plates are big business elsewhere.

Allowing resale of old plates like in England might have a bad effect on more basic classics with nice plates, although given that pre 87 cars or even cars with the post 87 and pre 91 non EU plate, are rare, it hardly matters. Anyhow I cannot say I would care if my Wolseley had 71-D-XXXX instead of some ZV plate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

indeed that is the downside of it, you see many classics in the UK with an "S" as the middle letter on the plate, an almost sure sign that the original plate has been robbed for some Beemer or Merc.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭MrFoxman360

I have had a few old rusty classics which I broke for parts and then scrapped, I regularly would get calls wondering if I have a tax book for classics, particularly big jags.

In ireland, the taxbook and reg of a vehicle refers to the shell, or a chassis if its seperate from the body.

Whats the legal procedure if you, for instance, replace the chassis on a series Landrover with a brand new galvaised one.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Whats the legal procedure if you, for instance, replace the chassis on a series Landrover with a brand new galvaised one.

Re-register it?
    2e048726.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

^^ Its not everyday you see that kind of honesty.
    Is that a heritage body, those panel gaps dont look great?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

hi5 wrote: »
    ^^ Its not everyday you see that kind of honesty.
    Is that a heritage body, those panel gaps dont look great?

Must be, but the reg suggests it was registered here 'new' in 1989?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

So there's one honest guy willing to pay over the odds for tax :p - but IMO IF the Revenue had a sliding scale of tax over 15 years, over 30 years THEN they might actually earn money from people who are prepared to pay a 'fair' rate of tax etc. People will say 'ther'll be cheats', so increase the fine for cheats ONCE A FAIR SYSTEM IS IN PLACE ????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

This guy seems to have perfected the chassis swop -
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/3182133 :rolleyes:

i thought the first bit of a Landy to rot was the chassis...

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Basil Fawlty

Depends on the car and the life its led. Chassis are usually never beyond repair with replacement sections being readily available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Basil Fawlty

Capri wrote: »
    This guy seems to have perfected the chassis swop -
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/3182133 :rolleyes:

Actually he has, as he is now using Discovery II bodies on the vintage chassis's he imports. The body mounts are the same.

Also its swap not swop.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭John Larkin

Actually he has, as he is now using Discovery II bodies on the vintage chassis's he imports. The body mounts are the same.

Also its swap not swop.

The spelling "swop" is the older English form of the word. It is less used nowadays than "swap" but it is not an incorrect spelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭2cv

Confab wrote: »
    Why does the ZV plate thing matter so much anyway? I've always wondered why some people get sniffy over the issue,. Surely a licence plate is a licence plate?

I'm with you on that one. A plate is just that, a plate, with a number on it. Nothing more, nothing less.

2cv wrote: »
    I'm with you on that one. A plate is just that, a plate, with a number on it. Nothing more, nothing less.

it's partly the look of it but mostly (for a sub 30 yr old car) VRT avoidance...which is a crime

it's partly the look of it but mostly (for a sub 30 yr old car) VRT avoidance...which is a crime

I understand... but i really fail to understand people's problems with ZV plates....

I understand... but i really fail to understand people's problems with ZV plates....

for me, the problem is row upon row of cars at a show, all with ZV numbers...

for me, the problem is row upon row of cars at a show, all with ZV numbers...

Maybe you should admire the car and not the reg? :D

I've a keen interest in history...I like to learn the why and wherefore of things....if you go to an Irish car show, you learn the history of motoring ...

IN THE UK!

I've a keen interest in history...I like to learn the why and wherefore of things....if you go to an Irish car show, you learn the history of motoring ...

IN THE UK!

Well in that case maybe we should introduce a system of Apartheid... Have shows for cars on original irish reg and separate shows for imported cars. Maybe make owners of imported cars sit on the back of the bus as well? Unless you have any other suggestions? LOL

And besides, with all the ringing going on, how many of those "original irish cars" are genuinely irish?

IN THE UK!

Another note... I have three vintage cars, one on ZV (a 1977 car imported in 2007) and two "original irish" cars (one 1975 car imported in 1979 and a 1966 car imported in 1978). How would you view those?

• Advertisement

well if they are 2cv's...from a distance.... :-)

none of them are 2CV's actually :D

none of them are 2CV's actually :D

Keep up Corky! One is a ZF plate DAF 44 ;)
    Well in that case maybe we should introduce a system of Apartheid... Have shows for cars on original irish reg and separate shows for imported cars. Maybe make owners of imported cars sit on the back of the bus as well?

Fantastic idea Dave! :D How about a 3rd class for Nissan Figaros? (They could sit on outside of the bus) :p [runs off fast before being tarred and feathered]

macplaxton wrote: »
    Keep up Corky! One is a ZF plate DAF 44 ;)

You raise a valid point :D

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

IN THE UK!

IMO museums are for recording and preserving history , car shows are for looking at cars ,doesn't matter where they originate at least to me anyways.

even if they dilute the authenticity of Irish Motor History? To look at ,say, Cortinas here, you would think that the 1600E and 2000 GXL were the most common on our roads whereas in truth a 1300 with a bench seat is nearer the mark and all-but extinct.

Authenticity of the Irish Motor Industry? :D

OK, we should divide classic cars up into 6 different categories so:

Category 1: Cars that were built in Ireland and originally registered here
    Category 2: Cars that were built outside of Ireland and registered here from new
    Category 3: Cars that were first registered outside of Ireland but were imported before 1987 and therefore have the old style registration plates
    Category 4: Cars that were brought in and had original irish plates put on (so called ringers)
    Category 5: Cars that were brought in and registered on year plates (78-C-...)
    Category 6: Cars that were brought in and registered on ZV plates

Am i missing any? :D

Should we organise different shows for these categories maybe?

There are less than 25,000 vintage/veteran cars on our roads. Isn't it about time that we stop the number plate snobbery and start enjoying each others cars, regardless of what number is on it?

**rant over**

:D:D:D:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,680 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Re-register it?
    2e048726.jpg
    That car could have been imported in 1989 (late) and have been given the next number. It may have been a mistake.

That car could have been imported in 1989 (late) and have been given the next number. It may have been a mistake.

No it was confirmed as a re-shell & re-reg according to Jack.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76779748&postcount=13

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,680 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

No it was confirmed as a re-shell & re-reg according to Jack.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76779748&postcount=13

If he had done the reshell in the UK, and used all the original major bits (engine, gear box, diff etc.) he would have retained the original identity of the car. He could then import it into Ireland with that identity.

Advertisement