Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The elephant in the room thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

[Off topic warning]

Not all words that end in --um have a plural ending in --a for example you never see the plural 'ba' do you?

[Conundrum, fulcrum, pendulum, plum, and that is just off the top of my head]

[/Off topic warning]

We'd need a Referendum.......or referendums............to sort that :) :P:pac:

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Tommyboy40

galwaytt wrote: »
    We'd need a Referendum.......or referendums............to sort that :) :P:pac:

Referenda

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1962-pick-up/13603989

Is this the same thing that started out as a kia sorrento?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1962-pick-up/13603989

Is this the same thing that started out as a kia sorrento?

I don't follow?

It looks a bit tidier, but i reckon its the same car

mb1725 wrote: »

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

It's the same one alright just 2 years older.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=90296858

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

What part of an Austin A40 is it "loosely based on "

Not how I remember an A 40 when I was a pup,
    am i missing something??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

it's built around the tax book

Handy.....

But I thought there were laws protecting the unsuspecting classic car owner??

Therin lies the issue, any new owner is buying a 'ringer' however the original creator gets off scot free at this stage. Who do you report?

• Advertisement

So its a case of classic owner , be aware.

Or for the purposes of buying a classic, regard it as guilty of ringing, until your own due

diligence, proves it to be innocent.

So is it fair to say....the ringer gets off scot free?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

if you did it in the UK you'd get it taken off you and if you got it back it would be on a Q plate where it belongs. Probably pretty uninsurable in Ireland anyway, being a commercial.

Rightfully so.

Is it fair to say that there are a fair amount of typical cars here?

Would the correct classification be Kit Car?

Based on the chassis number of the original Kia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

Didn't catch the full reg but l saw a W140 S-class Merc from 1992 to 1998 with a 9***ZT reg....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

S-class Mercs are easy to make elephants from, as the earliest model that was officially called the S-Class came out in '72, and the model name registered in the records is just something like 350SE or 450SEL, so a newer model can have the badges removed from the boot...

Laziness in the VRO doesn't help - my ('76, imported in 2010) 350SE is registered on the documents as a "Mercedes Other" - it would be easy to use its ZV reg on nearly any other Merc.

I've seen an R129 Merc (the SL from '90-'01) on a ZV plate which Cartell shows as a "Mercedes-Benz Unknown".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

Type 17 wrote: »
    S-class Mercs are easy to make elephants from, as the earliest model that was officially called the S-Class came out in '72, and the model name registered in the records is just something like 350SE or 450SEL, so a newer model can have the badges removed from the boot...

Laziness in the VRO doesn't help - my ('76, imported in 2010) 350SE is registered on the documents as a "Mercedes Other" - it would be easy to use its ZV reg on nearly any other Merc.

I've seen an R129 Merc (the SL from '90-'01) on a ZV plate which Cartell shows as a "Mercedes-Benz Unknown".

I've been trying cartell with what I thought was the reg and its coming up as an Allegro...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭w124man

No comment ......

IMG_1119a_zps5f7a5c67.jpg

w124man wrote: »
    No comment ...

Even worse, according to Cartell.ie (and two other similar sites), 76-D-45 was never issued (no details found).

Edit, I've just noticed that the sales sticker in the rear window is a joke one, saying "Supplied by Arthur Daley" - highly appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

I've got a (legit) car here and it's 'make' unknown and 'model' unknown in the reg cert etc...how handy is that... :)

• Advertisement

Zoo4m8 wrote: »
    I've got a (legit) car here and it's 'make' unknown and 'model' unknown in the reg cert etc...how handy is that... :)

Cool, what's the reg? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

:
    Cool, what's the reg? :p

:D no chance! I'll need it to rotate round the other cars here, and the bikes of course.. In fact I've a sixties Moto Guzzi here with no paperwork or reg that it'll be particularly useful for..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Zoo4m8 wrote: »

Same for mine. I'm not spending half a day or more in some Dublin City Council office in Smithfield or wherever.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭unfit2006

I also have a "make unknown" "model unknown" here on a '96 Almera. Irish car from new. I never noticed it until the NCT guy pointed it out to me laughing that it could have been anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

That 76 D w126 300se merc is two large fingers to the authorities. What a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Never had an NCT either. We could do without fraud cars like this on our roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭unfit2006

^^^ The ad is gone. I missed it. What was it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

unfit2006 wrote: »
    ^^^ The ad is gone. I missed it. What was it ?
    A 1993-1996 Mercedes-Benz S124 E300 24V Diesel Estate LHD registered as 1986...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭tc20

Seweryn wrote: »
    A 1993-1996 Mercedes-Benz S124 E300 24V Diesel Estate LHD registered as 1986...

was that a blue/black wagon on jacked up wheels? If so, I saw it on DD last night and thought there was something a bit whiffy about it..

Advertisement