Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tornado in Italy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Wow, second one is nuts, looks like the earth is being sucked into it !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Is it just me or has there been a highly unusual amount of tornadoes in places that usually dont get them this year?

Japan
    Portugal
    Poland
    Italy

All have had pretty huge destructive tornadoes. Does this usually happen or are the media just reporting them regularly now? I know technically everywhere is susceptible to tornadoes but never do I remember this much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Is it just me or has there been a highly unusual amount of tornadoes in places that usually dont get them this year?

Japan
    Portugal
    Poland
    Italy

All have had pretty huge destructive tornadoes. Does this usually happen or are the media just reporting them regularly now? I know technically everywhere is susceptible to tornadoes but never do I remember this much.
    These places have always got them. Poland and Italy are probably the nearest thing Europe has to a Tornado Alley. As with everything it's the increased technology and social media presence, along with the false AGW claims that they are on the increase, that have given the impression that they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

by the way that tornado in Italy was surely a F2, possibly an F3. They found the body of a poor crane operator a few days ago (swept out to sea during the tornado)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

patneve2 wrote: »
    by the way that tornado in Italy was surely a F2, possibly an F3. They found the body of a poor crane operator a few days ago (swept out to sea during the tornado)

Sad, never nice to see

Italy do get quite a lot, but the UK aren't doing to bad either :)
    USA stats are just unreal.
    Appendix: Data sources (N is number of tornadoes in record)

Argentina (1930-79), Altinger de Schwarzkopf and Rosso (1982) (N=368) Australia (variable), courtesy Phil Alford, Australian Bureau of Meteorology (N=239)
    Canada (1950-98), courtesy David Etkin, Environment Canada (N=625)
    France (1680-1998), courtesy Francois Paul (1999) (N=294)
    Germany (1594-1999), courtesy Nikolai Dotzek (2000) (N=136)
    Italy (1991-9), courtesy Mauro Giovannoni (N=158)
    South Africa (1905-96, 1998-9), Goliger et al. (1997) and Estelle de Coning, South Africa Weather Bureau (N=195)
    United Kingdom (1950-97), courtesy David Reynolds, Tornado and Storm Research Organization (N=942)
    United States (1920-98), courtesy United States National Weather Service (N=44417)

taken from here: http://www.nssl.noaa.gov/users/brooks/public_html/toulclim.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement