Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mental traffic in Lucan

Options
  • 29-11-2012 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Folks

It seems traffic in Lucan during morning and evening rush hours is getting worst
    by the day, and no one seems to be doing any thing!

And to my observation, major issue is out of sync lights, which are crazy! and unable to maintain the flow of traffic.

Is there some thing can be done about it? I have written to the local TD and expecting a call to discuss further.

This is having a huge costs on petrol bills, time, environment and can easily be avoidable.

I really wonder where the authorities and why this is such a surprise for them!!!!:mad:

Regards

Rooni

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

I think you hit the nail on the head - lights are not synchronised.
    The lights at the N4 heading up to superquinn do not synch with the pedestrian lights at Hillcrest causing
    a bit of a boxed in area,

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Stand alone pedestrian lights arent linked, they operate on demand only.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭roonimirza

Larbre34 wrote: »

May be thats the issue, someone can literally press these random lights without realizing how bigger the impact is! May be it should be only allowed to cross road 'legally' every five minutes etc.

I miss those days of roundabouts.. I dont want to accuse, but may be there is some traffic light mafia out there, who is milking the local authorities on high number of traffic lights randomly placed. For example when you go from Lidl towards Woddies bridge, you deal with 5 set of main traffic light + atleast 10-12 pedestrian lights in a strectch of road about 2 kms!

Thats excessive and waste of public money and ungreen solution too.. costs electricity to burn and manage it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Yes, the lights on Castle Road to cross the Outer Ring Road at the Penny Hill are unbelievable. You get a tailback all the way down to the roundabout at the junction with Willsbrook Road/Griffeen Way, then the lights outside the entrance to the Ballyowen Castle SC don't sync with them so you get caught again on the other side.

Meanwhile there's hardly any traffic on the Outer Ring Road which has priority and then there's no more traffic at all after that. It's the lights alone causing the problem.

Not to mention light controlled pedestrian crossings with lollipop people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Yesterday was the worst I'd seen it in a very long time. I usually leave the house at 7.40 but got delayed and left at 8. Took me 35mins to get from Elmbrook down to the village. Did a u-turn on Ballyowen Road and headed up by Castle Road and then proceeded to limp along the ring road and eventually got across the N4 before then crawling down into the village and across the bridge before then heading up through Strawberry Beds.
    The crash on the N4 just made everything back up.
    However, the main issue is those damn pedestrian lights just past Ballyowen Road and the Outer Ring, closely followed by the lights for Hermitage. It's nonsense. They seemed to change the sequences a little bit and give people filtering onto the Ring Road a bit more time but once there's a bit of rain or frost, all the eejits come out and destroy it for everyone else. Some of the driving yesterday was horrific. You'd swear we had been buried by a few feet of snow, not just a bit of frost!!!

• Advertisement

Good point Miss Lockhart and wonder can we do something about it?? Where can we raise this issue? Is there a right forum?

Or keep suffering. As the public servants (TDs) may be able to charge for their petrol and mileage but not the private sector. Rising costs of petrol, road tax and inefficiency is not acceptable!
    And one thing which is close to my heart, Environment, longer the traffic jam, more the emissions.. we all are making our environment dirty for no reason.

• Site Banned Posts: 385 ✭✭pontia

it would help if the precious kids walked to schools that are close to where they live

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I am a resident of Lucan and can testify to the horrendous traffic all around the area due to the asinine lights everywhere.

I'm not sure where the correct forum is - but count me out if it is to simply be a public sector bashing exercise.

Anyway - I thought they were monitoring traffic flow on several roads in the area recently (those wires across the road that connect to boxes on either side). Surely this problem would have shown up in these surveys?

Larbre34 wrote: »

I know - but that is one of the problems - the on demand doesn't synch with the trafffic flow coming up from the village.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭DainBramage

stoneill wrote: »
    I think you hit the nail on the head - lights are not synchronised.
    The lights at the N4 heading up to superquinn do not synch with the pedestrian lights at Hillcrest causing
    a bit of a boxed in area,

Wish they would do something about the road at Superquinn- its horrendous at rush hour & school opening/closing times.
    You have lights at N4 junction, then lights into Hillcrest, then a pedestrian lights at church/school, the mini roundabout at superquinn, then another pedestrian lights!! all within a few hundred metres, its insane. At least they could sequence them better.

Getting through Lucan village is appalling too- what I often see happening is cars waiting for other cars to leave so they can take their parking spot-causes tailbacks around centra/o'neills pub

I'm not sure where the correct forum is - but count me out if it is to simply be a public sector bashing exercise.

Quite amazed and surprised at your comment! Its councillors job to make communities better and efficient. You ever wonder why we have them??

For rest who believe we can do something in our communities, here is list of all the Councillors from Lucan, and I have written all of them.

http://corporateservices.southdublin.ie/index.php?option=com_contact&catid=151&Itemid=115

cjones AT sdublincoco.ie
    wlavelle AT sdublincoco.ie
    etuffy AT sdublincoco.ie

Here is the letter wrote, in case you need the template

Dear Councillor

I hope all is well on your side. I like to highlight the concern, complain and raise
    awareness at the traffic congestion during the morning and afternoon rush hours.

There is a serious delay in traffic, which in opinion is introduced by the traffic lights, and made worst with their inefficient timings.

In my opinion, a study should be commissioned which finds out the cost on time,
    petrol, economy and environment due to this in efficiency which can be easily avoided.

And also looks at the pros and cons of traffic lights vs. roundabouts.

This concern is also shared by other community members and we not asking to spend more money, simply asking fix what already there and save money.

In short term, I would really appreciate, if you can address this issue, and get some
    relief on citizens, whom are trying to make to work, in this tripling economy, and
    rising taxes!

Thanks

Roonimirza, you haven't specified the exact areas that should be looked at.
    I know that all of Lucan is appalling but what might help would be picking out a few pinch points like the junction of Ballyowen and Willsbrook, as well as Castle Road/Eurospar.
    At least that'll give them somewhere to focus on.
    Otherwise the email/letter runs the danger of falling into a bucket of "Lucan traffic is $hite, fix it" and might not get the attention it deserves.

Heroditas wrote: »
    Roonimirza, you haven't specified the exact areas that should be looked at.
    I know that all of Lucan is appalling but what might help would be picking out a few pinch points like the junction of Ballyowen and Willsbrook, as well as Castle Road/Eurospar.
    At least that'll give them somewhere to focus on.
    Otherwise the email/letter runs the danger of falling into a bucket of "Lucan traffic is $hite, fix it" and might not get the attention it deserves.

Thank you Heroditas and good point. If dont get a response in few days, will send a follow up email with highlighted areas. Thanks for your suggestion.

I'm really glad this thread has been started because it's something that needs to be looked at ..... Again!

I'm going to draft an email myself and I'll post it up when I've sent it off.

Hopefully others will follow suit and we can build some sort of campaign.
    I'd imagine the Council have loads of traffic data at this stage. That'll certainly help drive any campaign.

I suggested to the council some years ago that Lucan Village should have a one way system, use main street and chapel hill as one big roundabout.
    This would eliminate some traffic lights, allow a decent cycling track all around the village, free up more places for parking, make school runs safer and discourage through traffic trying to beat the M50 toll to Blanch.

roonimirza wrote: »
    Quite amazed and surprised at your comment! Its councillors job to make communities better and efficient. You ever wonder why we have them??

My issue is with your claim that the public sector can claim for petrol/mileage but private sector can't.

Of course I think we should make our local representatives aware of the problem and what we want done about it. I have already contacted a number of local councillors about the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭brick tamland

About 5 years ago some genius deided to remove a a few roundabouts ( beside pennyhill and on newcastle road and a few more I think) and replaced them them with big traffic lighted junctions and thats slowed things down a lot imo. Adamstown is the same, whoever designed in there was obviously getting kick backs from the traffic light company theres that many.

The main problem though is schools though, everyone driving there kids to school. Not sure things can be improved that much

Yes but Lucan has grown considerably in the last few years and those roundabouts would be completely inadequate nowadays.
    A huge issue is those pedestrian lights between the lights at Hermitage and the Ballyowen/Willsbrook junction.
    In the morning those pedestrian lights are used a huge amount because they're right at the 25a/b stop. That limits the amount of traffic that can get through from Ballyowen or Willsbrook and causes those roads to back up.

Just to update and give credit to TDs/ Counsillors, I have heard back from Derek Keating and William Lavelle.

William has been already working on the issue, and have gathered some data and will be reviewing it.
    There is also a Lucan Committee, which meets to discuss issues etc. and I am trying to attend one in Dec
    (and will share info once I have it)

Ok now, getting focused again, and I am normally results driven and not satisfied with promises and updates!! specially
    if these promises are from politicians (sorry if offended someone )

May be we take this cause further, and gather the data ourselves and review it and suggest some solutions
    or find solution examples or get the petition to sign etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Wish they would do something about the road at Superquinn- its horrendous at rush hour & school opening/closing times.
    You have lights at N4 junction, then lights into Hillcrest, then a pedestrian lights at church/school, the mini roundabout at superquinn, then another pedestrian lights!! all within a few hundred metres, its insane. At least they could sequence them better.

Getting through Lucan village is appalling too- what I often see happening is cars waiting for other cars to leave so they can take their parking spot-causes tailbacks around centra/o'neills pub

+1000!! Ridiculous. Why do they need 2 lights AND a roundabout. Simply put a traffic controlled junction in. Stupidest decision I ever saw

Now in the mornings at the finnstown lights I see cars driving on the opposite side to get up closer to the lights and turn right... Some cars fly up the wrong side of the road. If a car turns left to finnstown there'll be a bad accident there. It's waiting to happen

Traffic in finnstown is appalling and needs to be addressed urgently

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

About 5 years ago some genius deided to remove a a few roundabouts ( beside pennyhill and on newcastle road and a few more I think) and replaced them them with big traffic lighted junctions and thats slowed things down a lot imo. Adamstown is the same, whoever designed in there was obviously getting kick backs from the traffic light company theres that many.

The main problem though is schools though, everyone driving there kids to school. Not sure things can be improved that much

The lights added at Newcastle Rd near Finnstown was an improvement on the roundabout that was there before. The road about backed griffin all the way up to the glen, so that was the reason.

The reasons for the pedestrian lights at Superquinn and the church is because of the schools which is fair enough.

Pedestrian lights at hillcrest, one set make sense but the ones across to the church don't.

I agree the main problem is people been lazy in Lucan, people would rather drive to eurospar or any other shop than do a 10 min walk. Same with the schools.

I agree the main problem is people been lazy in Lucan, people would rather drive to eurospar or any other shop than do a 10 min walk. Same with the schools.

That can be part of problem! but not the real issue. If we follow this logic, then we should be telling people not to get sick, as there are delays in emergencies, and dont send your kids to school at all, as there are limited spaces available etc.

And agree, my son @ 4 walks atleast 3 kms to school walking or his scooter and it would help, if many others do, but this is no solution!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

roonimirza wrote: »
    That can be part of problem! but not the real issue. If we follow this logic, then we should be telling people not to get sick, as there are delays in emergencies, and dont send your kids to school at all, as there are limited spaces available etc.

And agree, my son @ 4 walks atleast 3 kms to school walking or his scooter and it would help, if many others do, but this is no solution!!

Emergency services is another can of worms for another day, and i aint going there:D

Superquinn does get backed up alot at certain hours, always avoid that area during rush hour

The Lock road to N4 junction as you are coming up from the village heading to superquinn, just at Vesy Park there are two lanes, the inside lane for turning left and going straight, the outside lane for turning right on the other side of the bridge.
    In the mornings it is quite busy to say the least, and as previously discussed on the thread, becomes a bit of a gridlock.
    However I have witnessed some crazy antics here, cars coming up the right hand lane then at the junction, turning left across the line of traffic to join the N4 heading to Dublin. There is definitely a serial offender among them, I saw him do it on several mornings, almost collided with traffic coming off the N4 slip road.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Hank Schrader

I'm not saying the traffic around Lucan is good,it's not but does anyone remember the gridlock from 10-12 years ago ? I wrote to and got several replys to local Td's who moved thier collective arse's and got things done

We should be thankfull for the giant steps we have taken since then and yes there is plenty of room for improvement

Advertisement