Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Demerits on a Irish driving lisence

Options
  • 29-11-2012 6:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭

My girlfriend has gotten caught twice speeding in Perth.
    What's the story with the demerits? She has 2 from first time and 2 from second time.
    She still on her Irish license.
    Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

STIG83 wrote: »
    My girlfriend has gotten caught twice speeding in Perth.
    What's the story with the demerits? She has 2 from first time and 2 from second time.
    She still on her Irish license.
    Cheers.

Not sure what your question is OP but a quick google search brings up this.
    http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/licensing/21328.asp

As far as I know, these still accumulate on an Irish licence. Can someone else can confirm this is the case in WA?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Yes they create a 'ghost licence' so if you ever apply for a WA licence the points are transferred.
    They can also ban you from driving on the Irish licence if you hit the limit.

A friend of mine found this out the hard way this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Demerit points in WA attach to the driver, not the licence, and if the driver accumulates sufficient demerit points then the driver is disqualified from holding or obtaining a driver's licence in WA. And anyone who is disqualified from holding or obtaining a driver's licence in WA is also not authorised to drive in WA on the strength of a "foreign authorisation to drive" - i.e. an Irish licence.

The net effect of all this is that disqualification for excessive demerit points doesn't in any way depend on your having a licence issued in WA, or in any Australian state or territory, or indeed on your having a licence at all. (Yes, you can be disqualified from driving even at time when you're not authorised to drive in the first place!)

Your girlsfriend has four demerit points. They'll expire in the usual way. If she accumulates enough demerit points before they expire, she'll be disqualified, in which event she won;t be able to obtain a WA licence, or to drive in WA on the strength of her Irish licence. If she obtains a WA licence tomorrow, nothing will change; she'll still have four demerit points.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

How long the demerits last if you not caught again?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

STIG83 wrote: »
    How long the demerits last if you not caught again?
    Three years, I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Three years, I think.

The same as home, I was gonna be nice and take the blame even though she was driving but I'm not, hopefully it teaches her a lesson to slow down!!

Advertisement