Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balbriggan Best Mobile Broadband

Options
  • 29-11-2012 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Currently have Meteor Mobile BB, It is great mostly during the day but in the evenings/nights and at the weekend it can be very slow/dodgy.

Anyone using Vodafone one or any other one that seems to be better.
    Living near Dunnes.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Not many people answering here but here goes. Got vodafone and it is utter tosh. connection dropping constantly every day, cant stand it to be honest. especially since i rely on it to work form home sometimes. also living near dunnes. 7mb connection with home broadband.

Anyone else recommend something different?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

I know it isnt mobile BB but have a look at UPC. My brother had an apartment opposite Dunnes for a while and had UPC BB.

I have had Eircom, Esat BT & Vodafone BB on the landline and had issues with them all. Since I got UPC I have had very little issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭kaisersoze

@sgarvan, so you need a telelphone line, i.e. do you need to pay line rental with the UPC?

We pay approx 60e a month for broadband with Eircom and never use the phone.

Thanks.
    sgarvan wrote: »
    I know it isnt mobile BB but have a look at UPC. My brother had an apartment opposite Dunnes for a while and had UPC BB.

I have had Eircom, Esat BT & Vodafone BB on the landline and had issues with them all. Since I got UPC I have had very little issues.

kaisersoze wrote: »
    @sgarvan, so you need a telelphone line, i.e. do you need to pay line rental with the UPC?

We pay approx 60e a month for broadband with Eircom and never use the phone.

Thanks.

If you can get UPC in (put your address in their website) you do not need a phone line. You can get a phone with UPC if you wish.

I pay €42 a month with UPC for 30mb BB and phone.

If you get BB only from UPC they add a surcharge (€7.88 per month) to it which makes it slightly dearer than getting it with a phone.

BB with Phone
    76829761.png

BB without Phone
    85356851.png

thanks.

If you can get UPC in (put your address in their website) you do not need a phone line. You can get a phone with UPC if you wish.

If you get BB only from UPC they add a surcharge (€7.88 per month) to it which makes it slightly dearer than getting it with a phone.

BB with Phone
    76829761.png

BB without Phone
    85356851.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

We got UPC fibre optic BB a few months ago. Got the phone as it works out cheaper that way (provided you stick to your allocated 100 mins!)
    So far so good, very happy with the service. We got a half price for 4 mths offer which finishes this month, so its been €21 per month so far and will be €42 from Feb.

The only issue is that the phone being on the fibre optic line has a delay on it (as in you ring it, hear the ring tone, but the phone doesn't ring in the house until ring tone 2 and vice versa - you phone out from the landline and you hear the phone ring twice but the mobile hasn't picked up the call yet). A little bit irritating, but not major. It just means its awkward if we want to phone into our alarm system, but I can live with it.

Just edit to add ther eason I pay €42 and not €45 is because speeds in Balbriggan are not guaranteed 50mb yet, they can only guarantee 30mb so that is why you can get the lower price.

Little Ted wrote: »
    We got UPC fibre optic BB a few months ago. Got the phone as it works out cheaper that way (provided you stick to your allocated 100 mins!)

I was lucky enough to have signed up when the phone package was all off peak calls. No minute limit.

Remember though off-peak with UPC starts at 7pm not 6pm like Eircom etc.

Also Sky TV will work with UPC but Eircom Phone Watch won't (I believe)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

I was lucky enough to have signed up when the phone package was all off peak calls. No minute limit.

Remember though off-peak with UPC starts at 7pm not 6pm like Eircom etc.

Also Sky TV will work with UPC but Eircom Phone Watch won't (I believe)

the package we have is called anywhere 100. This gives 100 minutes, anytime, to landlines, mobiles and selected international destinations. Although why it's called anywhere I don't know. Bit of a misnomer. They might want to look up a dictionary to see what 'anywhere' actually means! :rolleyes:
    UPC wrote:
    100 FREE minutes ANYTIME to Irish mobiles, landlines and selected fixed line international destinations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Just to give some feedback on this. I have had an O2 dongle in the past and a Vodafone one currently both supplied by work. Both were pretty crap dropping signal all the time.

Am getting Eircom installed tomorrow, the up to 8mb package. I live on the Flemington lane side of New Haven. UPC or Eircom 24MB are not currently available at my address.

just tried to buy the UPC broadband and sadly, not available in our area (as attached)

BB with Phone
    76829761.png

BB without Phone
    85356851.png

• Advertisement
Advertisement