Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackberry - Wi-Fi

Options
  • 29-11-2012 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

I've just set up Wi-Fi at home and I want to make use of it with with my Blackberry, problem is when I enable Data Services on the phone Vodafone charge me 50 cent per day just to have it on... is there any way around this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Do you still want email to funciton on the device or is it just the browser you're trying to get to work? If it's just the browser contact vodafone and ask them to disable the BIS (BlackBerry Interent Service) service to your device but before you do download the Opera browser. it should work on wifi only when you've disable the BIS service.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭kop77

Thanks for that, I don't need emails, only the browser.

Just to confirm... disable BIS then get Opera or the other way around,

kop77 wrote: »
    Thanks for that, I don't need emails, only the browser.

Just to confirm... disable BIS then get Opera or the other way around,

Other way around. You'll also need the correct apn for the network to use opera. Call them to see which one you can use. I think it's the live one but double check or you could be charged

Hello again, I downloaded Opera through my PC onto my handset and its there in my menu screen, I then contacted Vodafone and they disconnected BIS and told me the APN is vodafone live but I think I may have made a mistake in not clicking on Opera and letting it set up properly before I got the BIS disconnected?

With the phone connected to wifi the Opera browser will only start to install but not fully saying "Unable to connect to the internet, please check your settings"

Data services is on and myweb.vodafone.ie is working....

I went into settings and into TCP IP and this is what I have

APN Settings Enabled: [ ]
    APN:
    APN Authentication Enabled [ ]
    User name for APN:
    Password for APN:

so I guessed this but didnt work...

APN Settings Enabled: COLOR=red]tick[/COLOR
    APN: live.vodafone.com
    APN Authentication Enabled COLOR=red]tick[/COLOR
    User name for APN:
    Password for APN:

any ideas?

thanks,

Disable the authhentication and try again.

So is opera unable to start on data or wifi?

• Advertisement

Authhentication disabled but no luck

Opera unable to start with Data on but tries longer if that makes any sense,

with Data off it just doesnt try at all...

kop77 wrote: »
    Authhentication disabled but no luck

Opera unable to start with Data on but tries longer if that makes any sense,

with Data off it just doesnt try at all...

Bite the bullet for one day. Enable BIS get Opera working then disable BIS and it should work

will do...:)

Okay so I contacted Vodafone again, enabled BIS and properly downloaded Opera... got BIS disconnected and ran Opera through my Wifi and its running fine,

I only got to test for a few minutes but very impressed with Opera and my credit balance hasn't been affected...

cool. Glad it's sorted. Opera is a nice browser and it's regularly updated too for BlackBerry

• Advertisement
Advertisement