Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luan Gallery opens today

Options
  • 29-11-2012 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭

http://www.westmeathindependent.ie/news/roundup/articles/2012/11/28/4013502-athlones-new-34m-art-gallery-to-open-tomorrowbr/

The-Luan-Gallery.jpg
    The cultural and arts scene in the Midlands will be given a massive boost tomorrow (Thursday) when the launch of the €3.4m Luan Gallery takes place in Athlone.

I hate to be a grouch about the whole thing but as someone who walks around the town a fair bit, I found the closing of one side of the bridge to be a huge nuisance. Especially for the two years or so it took them to finish the work.

I also think this building is disgusting and completely ruins the look of the riverbank. It's basically just an elongated box extending out of the side of the old library. I'm all on for improving the town but I honestly feel this looks like a cheap, and poorly designed eyesore.

I'd be interested to hear what others think of this new addition to the town.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭slowharry

Don't know if I would go as far as to call it an eyesore but at 3.4 million its definitely expensive and I'm not sure how the cost can be justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Both cant be true. But i guess you mean tacky when you say cheap. Waste of money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Both cant be true. But i guess you mean tacky when you say cheap. Waste of money

It was expensive but it certainly doesn't look expensive. It looks like a crappy conservatory that someone built extending out of their house.

I'm not against money being spent to improve the riverfront and I'm not against modern architecture being mixed with traditional but I think this was a poor, poor effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Whatever you think about the gallery's outside appearance, I think it's great to have another facility which, along with the castle, will make the town more attractive for tourists and will have cultural and educational benefits.

Regarding the cost, it was granted a total of €3.4m in regional, State and town council funding. That is, obviously, a lot of money but it's only a drop in the ocean compared to the billions being pumped by the Government into a defunct bank (Anglo). And at least there's something to show for this money.

Regarding the cost, it was granted a total of €3.4m in regional, State and town council funding. That is, obviously, a lot of money but it's only a drop in the ocean compared to the billions being pumped by the Government into a defunct bank (Anglo). And at least there's something to show for this money.

Just because something costs a hell of a lot less than Anglo doesn't mean its not a waste of money. Splitting the 3.4 million over some of the schools in town for some refurb works would make a lot more sense in my eyes.

I'm very sceptical that a gallery in Athlone will boost tourism enough to cover its operating costs nevermind provide a reasonable return on the investment.

Hopefully I am wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

Ther's no point in criticizing the luan until we see it on the inside. The outside has a functional look , so let us view the pictures and look out.
    Of course it is the duty of a true Athlonian to decry change; remember what they (should have) said about the nearby church when it was built during the last great depression.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Ah....I heard something about a sleeping giant about to wake up.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Bessa

On the roadside it looks like a tiled bathroom, one would wonder where the urinals are. Thence I call it Tubs & Tiles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Massive waste of money....
    Dean Kelly school had to run a bake sale earlier this year so they could buy some sports equipment ......****ing disgrace.......shame on you town council

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Mearings wrote: »
    Ther's no point in criticizing the luan until we see it on the inside. The outside has a functional look , so let us view the pictures and look out.
    Of course it is the duty of a true Athlonian to decry change; remember what they (should have) said about the nearby church when it was built during the last great depression.

I was in it today and it looked like all galleries look. Plain white with artworks on display.

I'd argue that I take great pride in my town and I feel that this was a shoddy, poorly conceived project architecturally that does us no favours. Give us a bit of insight other than "sure auld Irish begrudgery, sure Athlone people are backwards". Personally I feel that this could have been done better.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭martin1

Some people are of the opinion that just because a building is old, that it must be worth preserving. That is what has happened in this case.

We can thank A few An Taisce Nazis who succeeded in panicking a spineless town council to alter the original plan for this hideous erection

It should have been demolished and a new modern building put in its place.

What we are left with now is a "mule" of a monstrosity.

A typical halfway Irish solution, committee building.

The sad part is that we now have to spend the rest of our lives looking at it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭finky1

how much is it to visit the luan gallery i doubt it will ever make money .who is going to work in it,will it be locals, or civil servants . my guess it will be closed in winter months and in ten years closed for ever

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

finky1 wrote: »
    how much is it to visit the luan gallery i doubt it will ever make money .who is going to work in it,will it be locals, or civil servants . my guess it will be closed in winter months and in ten years closed for ever
    I reckon it's a sleeping giant

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭AaronEnnis

Not an Athlone native, but I've been here for about a year - whatever about the look/cost/politics of getting the building finished, it's a relief to have something different in the town. I do like Athlone, but I can't help but find it's completely starved of culture sometimes.

finky1 wrote: »

It's free to visit the gallery.

I'm not sure about the staffing but I heard that at least some of the staff will be local volunteers.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

It's free to visit the gallery.

I'm not sure about the staffing but I heard that at least some of the staff will be local volunteers.
    Anything valuable in it? Jetski getaway up the Shannon with Rembrandt

athlonelad wrote: »
    Anything valuable in it?

Yes the tiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Bessa wrote: »
    Yes the tiles.

Very expensive tiles, look completely out of place and already starting to show signs of weathering badly. But hey they looked good enough in the cgi renders for some clueless oafs to rubber-stamp it.

But despite the questionable tiles, it is a new art gallery in Athlone and that can only be a good thing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I recently moved away from Athlone for work near Dublin. I've spent my life in the town and to be honest, while the extension looks alittle awkward, it's about time something new was brought to the town. It's depressing to see so many vacant decrepit buildings and businesses closing down.

As for culture, it's almost non-existant in comparison to places like Galway. The town needs something to attract revallers, no matter how frivalous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

While I think the look of the hybrid building is ridiculous, it's about time we had an art gallery, the cost is high but maybe it might help spur on some more culture initiatives in Athlone. I assume the exhibits will change every couple of months?

I'm looking forward to visiting it, but think it would have been better if the building was entirely modern, even if it had to be on a different site.

Saying that, I'll visit it first before making my mind up :P

Drama, art, dance and music, what else do we need?

Craic.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I think it would gave been better as a completely modern structure but surely it will bring a bit of arty sophistication to Athlone and surely that's a forward step?

Now what's needed are half-decent artworks to place in the gallery...

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭finky1

when does it open again after x mas

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

Looks really good now that its finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Cracking cultural addition to a great town. I finally got to visit. They are exhibiting the best of the best of Irish colleges at the moment, some really nice work on view and for sale in a lovely mix of trad/modern building. Loved it, particularly the tranquil view of the river inside and outside in the middle of the town. Without a doubt a positive and contemporary plus.

Advertisement