Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could my Terrier Cross learn to live with a cat?

• 29-11-2012 12:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭

I'd like to get a cat, but I can't see my terrier cross and it getting along.

He's already driven half-demented by the rabbit we got for my daughter's birthday ... the rabbit is in a hutch in the garage, and every now and then I let the dog in to the garage to "get used to it" .... the rabbit stopped panicing after about a week one he realised the dog couldn't get at him, but the dog still goes nuts.

Is it going against his nature expecting him to tolerate a rabbit - and then a cat?!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Terriers are not great for getting on with other animals, but it can be done under strict strict supervision and with time and patience! I'm sure there's people here who could give good advise on it! I remember when I got my first cat my old JR X Staff would try kill her if she came close enough, the second cat we got she would act as though she wanted to kill it if there was anyone around but I caught them on more than one occasion snuggled up in the kennel together! And the current cats I have she would only get on with if I was standing right beside them together. But my dog was an outdoor dog so I'm sure the situation would be different if it cam to living in a house!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

It's manageable and you can teach your dog some self-control around a cat but you have to wonder is it fair to your doglet, if he is going to be that frustrated? Also, I'd never trust him 100% in your absence.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

boomerang wrote: »
    It's manageable and you can teach your dog some self-control around a cat but you have to wonder is it fair to your doglet, if he is going to be that frustrated? Also, I'd never trust him 100% in your absence.

I'd be the same, you can get them to live together, but it could be very stressful for both animals, and with the cat not being confined to a hutch etc, he/she could surprise the terrier some day and you could have a bad situation on your hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

It can work with patience and they can eventually be in same room buti wouldn't ever leave them unsupervised. I adopted ajack Russell over year ago and 6 months later, left him and resident cat in sitting room for the night as they seemed to be fine around each other- poor cat must have tried to leave the room which triggered chase instinct in dog who killed him.when Googled the next day,saw all the advice about never leaving unsupervised-my own fault for not being more informed. Only for that unsupervision incident they had learned to live peacefully so it is possible for them to cohabit but i wouldnt get complacent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭Manuel

Thanks for all the feedback.

The dog is kept outside as would be the cat. Maybe an older cat would be to able look after himself by keeping out of the dog's way?

We have a blackthorn hedge around the garden which the cat would be able to negotiate but the dog won't go near it as it would tear him to shreds ....

In fact the reason I want a cat is to keep the rats from the same hedge at bay ... the dog just barks at the hedge all day :rolleyes: .....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

The hedge would rip apart the cat every bit as much as it would the dog. I don't think your plan would work too well anyway, if you get an outdoor cat it's going to be terrified of the dog barking, and if thy are in the same garden the dog will chase it, so it won't hunt anything for you it will be more worried about being hunted itself. It most likely will just stray off and find someplace that it can sneak in beside a warm fire. My cats never catch anything in my own garden anyway, they go to neighboring fields and bring me back shrews and baby mice. I think the rats would hunt my cats rather than vice versa!

Advertisement