Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Coombe

Options
  • 29-11-2012 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hey People :)

Now that me and My Girlfriend are expecting our first child I was just wondering if you could give me some feedback on the Coombe? and what's it like with maturnity and the appointment scheduling department, the scans and everything basically? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

I gave birth there in September.

I'd like to start by saying that the staff there are lovely.

The hospital is very busy (as all the Dublin hospitals are) and everyone is given the same appointment time. Those that know show up earlier to be first in the queue. It's the one major downside and any time I was there there were very long queues in the outpatient area.

There are scanning machines in all the consultants rooms for quick checks and they have more sophisticated and newer machines for more accurate and detailed assessments.

I didn't attend the Coombe for antenatal appointments, choosing to attend with my gp and a midwife at the medical centre I attend, I did this because I didn't fancy the idea of spending 3 hours in the hospital for checks that really only needed 15-20 minutes with a midwife... I wasn't interested in seeing a consultant.

But it is a good hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

I'm attending the coombe as a semi-private patient and must admit that so far they have been brilliant. I agree with Squiggler re the staff being so nice. As a semi-private patient, the longest we've had to wait for any appt is 20mins. The queues for public patients do look quite long though. So far Ive been very happy but I still have the hard part to come so we'll see!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Skyflyer1234

Ok, it does actually sound good enough except the waiting Times i suppose, but a few questions if you don't mind? and anyone else feel free to answer from experience :)

When the water breaks and you're actually having the baby I take it you get your own room? after everythign goes smooth with the baby do you get to keep it by you or does it go into a room? Do they keep you in for the night or whats the deal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

They have 6 delivery suites (which are really well equipped and very comfortable) but if they're very busy it is possible that the labour (and maybe even the birth) might take place in an overflow ward. They are in the process of building new delivery suites so maybe by the time you're running in there there won't be a need for the overflow ward anymore. :)

If everything has gone well the baby will be handed straight to Mum or Dad for skin-to-skin contact and for Mum to start breastfeeding if that is the plan. The Coombe doesn't have a baby room, all healthy babies room in with their mother in the ward. They also have an early release policy. Our little man was born at 3am and we were home by 6pm that evening.

Squiggler wrote: »
    They have 6 delivery suites (which are really well equipped and very comfortable) but if they're very busy it is possible that the labour (and maybe even the birth) might take place in an overflow ward. They are in the process of building new delivery suites so maybe by the time you're running in there there won't be a need for the overflow ward anymore. :)

If everything has gone well the baby will be handed straight to Mum or Dad for skin-to-skin contact and for Mum to start breastfeeding if that is the plan. The Coombe doesn't have a baby room, all healthy babies room in with their mother in the ward. They also have an early release policy. Our little man was born at 3am and we were home by 6pm that evening.

Well sounds good to me to be honest and all that information has the missus well relieved :) Thank you very much for your answer and same to you guy who replied first :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭elly123

Im attending the Coombe as a public patient, my booking in appt took about 30mins in total i.e seeing the Midwife and having my bloods done. The consultant appt was way longer, i'd say we were waiting a good 2.5 to 3hrs. But that was more because i was seen a specific consultant on team E. There were plenty of ppl that came after me that left before me, i think in public there is a few consultants on each team prob 3-4 so i would imagine the majority of ppl went in to whomever called them and their waiting time was probably less than 2hrs. As long as your not in a hurry i don't mind the waiting. I was waiting about 10mins when i went for my 21wk scan. I am doing the combined care so half my visits are with the GP. Im hitting 24 weeks now and ive only seen the consultant once and my next appt is in 3 weeks. So as a public patient i will have been to the hospital 4 times in 27 weeks. Two of them appts took about 30mins one took about 3hrs and we'll wait and see how long the next takes. but as i said i dont mind the waiting, i find been there and surrounded by pregnant women makes the pregnancy more real for me.
    I have been an in-patient in the coombe 6 times in the last 13 years, 5 times non-pregnancy related and once pregnancy related and the staff were all so lovely. But as i have never experienced the Labour ward or the after care after a baby is born i cant comment but from my experiences the coombe was always going to be the place i would attend to have my baby :)

This forum is great for getting information or relieving some worries your GF might have. I found the help from all the posters reassuring as this is my first pregnancy and im clueless :D , sure tell her to pop on if she has any questions or queries and im sure they will be answered fairly sharply and put her mind at ease :)

Best of luck with the pregnancy.

Sounds like the bottom line between public and semi-private in the coombe is waiting times (which don't seem all that bad based on Ellys post) and the 'chance' of sleeping in a 4 bed or 6 bed ward. It's very much a personal choice but for me none of the above are all that important. If I feel cared for and in safe hands, I would be completely indifferent to what money was exchanging hands; public would be just fine for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I was in the Coombe in 2010 and I absolutely loved it. Consultant was lovely (had to have consultant led care because of previous c section) and got a mini scan at every appointment.

Delivery was great, waters broke, was kept in for observation on pre natal ward, went into labour in middle of night and was put on labour ward (4 beds), then was moved to delivery suite to give birth. After birth I was lucky enough to get the 4 bed public ward (the rest are 6 bed, which compared to the Rotunda is fantastic) and had an amazing experience with the midwives there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I'm full of praise for the Coombe too. My appointments were always early morning (8.30-9) and I soon figured out to get there at 8, get your file, see the midwives for blood pressure etc and be one of the first in the queue. I was there this week at 8 and finished by 9.

I had a super duper delivery room with a shower so I could clean up after the birth. I couldn't do the early release on my son but if everything goes well on on no.2 I fully intend to be at home as as I can be.

As a public patient you get a dating scan around 11 weeks and an anomaly scan around 20 as standard.

Hey!

After getting the First appointment there with the coombe, and just wanted to ask if anyone knows how long the very first appointment takes including taking bloods and the dating scan? Like including and excluding the waiting times?

Appointment is at 8:30 in the morning so its nice and early :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭lainycool

Hey!

After getting the First appointment there with the coombe, and just wanted to ask if anyone knows how long the very first appointment takes including taking bloods and the dating scan? Like including and excluding the waiting times?

My appointment was the same time and i was out by 9.30, It would of been quicker but i was queing in the wrong place ( I was in the que for 1st consultant appointment and i should of been at the scanning dept) so it would of been much quicker!

Hey!

The queue for the dating scan can be busy so up it will take an hour at least I would say. I'd say ours took 1.5 hours.

Mine was way longer but that's because it was an afternoon slot and there was an overflow from the morning. Got there at 1 and wasn't seen til nearly 4.30pm.

If you arrive by 8 you should be seen to quick enough.

Ahh thats perfect, thanks for all the replies :) now do they tell you the sex of the baby, im asking because some hospitals don't?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Ahh thats perfect, thanks for all the replies :) now do they tell you the sex of the baby, im asking because some hospitals don't?

Yep they'll tell you if you ask, I was told at my 20 week scan :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭scrgirl

If you want a guaranteed quick appointment and at least 20 mins consultancy opt for midwife led service at the Coombe. It's a brilliant service. No waiting, a really good chat to talk over anything plenty of advice re birthing and breast feeding. Also if there is anything that concerns them they will send you to the consultant so zero risk if you are concerned. I went to 2 appointments with the consultant was waiting at least an hour and half was seen by two different ones so no continuity. they didn't weigh me or anything just checked heart beat and I was out, never asked me any questions so as soon as I left I remembered lots of things I ment to ask. In the midwifes I see the same girl usually and she is great.

Some people can't see the midwife's but if you can get into the Domino scheme, do!

They will tell you the sex of the baby if you ask, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Thumby

Have to say i'm finding the coombe beyond brilliant too. I have alot of complications this time round so can't opt for the midwife clinic closer to home. But they are going out of the way to make me feel safe and reassured about everything that's going on with the pregnancy. As well as that they stepped my schedule of appointments and i was with them every two to four weeks from 12 weeks on due to the complications. I'm 28 weeks now and am back up on the 14th of this month. As for aftercare once in labour and delivery, i can't fault them at all. My eldest was a month premmie and had some slight breathing problems initally as well as jaundice but because of the care both of us recieved we were able to go home together five days after he was born.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭0ctober

Just want to echo what has been said already on this thread. Had my daughter in the Coombe back in August and I couldn't fault a single aspect of the care. Staff are all lovely and we were really well looked after.
    Because you have an early morning appointment you might get lucky and get a parking space, be warned- their car park is an absolute nightmare, that's the only problem really! Although you could park in the underground car park at Lidl on Cork Street, as far as I know it's still free.
    I can't really comment on if they tell you the sex of the baby, we didn't find out but I remember reading in a leaflet they gave out that they will only check the sex if they have time, as it can take a while to get the right angle etc.
    Are you going public/semi private/private? I went public and would do it again without question. Even on the 6 bed public ward there were usually only around 3-4 of us in the room. Maybe it was quiet when I was there though!

+1 on the parking, it is bad alright but i usually go get checked in and get my chart while himself is waiting to park. By the time i've done that he's in the hospital so we go for coffee and something to eat in the cafe while we're waiting to see the doc so that passes the majority of the wait time.

• Advertisement

We have always parked in Lidl its still free and about 4-5mins walk if not less :) Always loads of spaces aswel.

Where is lidl? Not that i can walk that far anymore but it would be handy for himself when i do have the babs.

Thumby wrote: »
    Where is lidl? Not that i can walk that far anymore but it would be handy for himself when i do have the babs.

if your heading to the coombe from dolphins barn bridge you go past the coombe about 300 meters or little more and its just on the right hand side. its very handy if there is a que for the coombe car park!

Thanks hun. I'm back up next friday so i'll get him to drop me off and park up there. It'll be so much handier for him.

Thumby wrote: »
    Thanks hun. I'm back up next friday so i'll get him to drop me off and park up there. It'll be so much handier for him.

exactly and who says you have to walk :) he can drop you and then get the car after and pick you up outside :)

Exactly. I was diagnosed with spd last week at my gp check up so walking from the gate to check in is gonna be difficult enough lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

elly123 wrote: »
    We have always parked in Lidl its still free and about 4-5mins walk if not less :) Always loads of spaces aswel.

We always did the same, I was always suprised more people hadn't cottoned on to this ;-)

If I drive I park in one of the housing estates off the Rialto side of the south circular rd otherwise I get the luas.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭SanFran07

The Coombe's midwife led unit will be open in April. They'll have a pool for labouring in but you have to be with the midwives to get to use it.

• Advertisement

No way! \0/

Let's hope it isn't delayed or my bundle isn't early!!

Advertisement