Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steelseries Siberia

• 29-11-2012 1:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭

*Not sure of this is the right Forum, it may be better off in the Computer(s) Section*

Anyway, my current headset has finally died after 2 years. My girlfriend is willing to dish out a fair bit of cash to get me a new headset for Christmas. Immediately, the Steelseries Siberia (probably v.2) came to mind. So I have two questions.

Firstly, does anyone have experience with the v.2's. From what I've heard there seems to be no issues with them at all -- mic quality is good as well as clear audio. If not the Steelseries, I'm open to suggestions on other, high quality headsets in the same price region.

Secondly, unfortunately she isn't really comfortable using her credit card online so purchasing from Amazon/Ebay is probably not viable. HOWEVER, if there is a REALLY good offer online I'll use my card and she can pay me in cash (and it better arrive before Christmas!). On that note, I'd to know of a physical location she could buy the product from. We live in Kildare, I drive and we have easy access to the city centre.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭YuM

I love these headphones, I picked up a pair of v.2's for around €80 in PC World a couple of months ago.

I had a set of v.1's which lasted about 8 years, they still work as headphones but the mic died after one to many dive to the bathroom while forgetting I had them on. ;) These headphones are seriously comfortable.

I haven't seen the USB version around but I prefer the effects coming straight from the PC output, great sound from games / movies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

Your credit card is the safest thing to buy online with as you're insured with it by the bank so even in the unlikely event of fraud you'll be covered. Buying from amazon or any of the large online retailers is safe enough. You'll get a lot more value and selection buying electronic equipment online versus bricks and mortar shops.

Can you give some more information, you don't mention what system you'll be playing on (assuming it's pc), is it for FPS, does it need to isolate well and what's your budget?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

I have no problem using my credit card, but I'd rather not since it is her gift to me.

I'll be playing on PC. I play RTS and MMO's and am a Raid Leader in WoW so I need a good mic. I also stream regularly so I need some sort of noise/background cancellation. The budget is, give or take, 70E.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

I wouldn't have much of an idea about noise canceling microphones but there is a good guide on head-fi.org, it mostly looks at mostly headphones but there are a few headsets in there and a piece on mics too. He reviews the steel series v1 in it.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-11-12-12-sennheiser-hd650-added

That guide helped me to pick out a headphone/mic for pc gaming so it might be of some use.

Anyone else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭MJ434

MJ434 wrote: »
    Looking at those myself did you buy them?
    Thanks

I didn't buy them off the internet, I ended getting a pair in PCWorld. My girlfriend dished out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Avoid gaming headsets.

Brian wrote: »
    Avoid gaming headsets.

Why? What would you suggest instead ? :?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

MJ434 wrote: »
    Why? What would you suggest instead ? :?

They are generally made with appearance rather than performance in mind, and typically by companies with extremely limited experience in quality audio products.

I'd suggest Koss PortaPro, JVC HA-RX700, Superlux HD668B, Creative Aurvana Live (made by Denon), Audio Technica ATH-AD700, Sennheiser HD 598, AKG Q701, HifiMan HE-400.

Plus an XTY operator microphone, Speedlink Spes, Antlion Audio Modmic, Blue Snowball, Audio Technica AT2020 USB.

Brian wrote: »
    They are generally made with appearance rather than performance in mind, and typically by companies with extremely limited experience in quality audio products.

I'd suggest Koss PortaPro, JVC HA-RX700, Superlux HD668B, Creative Aurvana Live (made by Denon), Audio Technica ATH-AD700, Sennheiser HD 598, AKG Q701, HifiMan HE-400.

Plus an XTY operator microphone, Speedlink Spes, Antlion Audio Modmic, Blue Snowball, Audio Technica AT2020 USB.
    Where would the cheapest place be to buy this ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭marko93

The interwebz probably.

Advertisement