Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird Connection problem

Options
  • 29-11-2012 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

My parents' house has eircom broadband and my laptop has a very odd connection problem when I'm there. It connects perfectly to the wireless, says Internet Connected and Internet Access, so it should be fine. But after about 2 minutes the internet slows down to a halt practically, but still says Internet Connected. If you turn the router off and on again, it works again for about 2 minutes, then slows down again to the point that no websites can download.

However, if I started streaming something before that 2 minutes, it would continue to stream, even when everything else had pretty much stopped.

Any ideas? Some kind of firewall? I really am baffled.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

jimmybeige wrote: »
    My parents' house has eircom broadband and my laptop has a very odd connection problem when I'm there. It connects perfectly to the wireless, says Internet Connected and Internet Access, so it should be fine. But after about 2 minutes the internet slows down to a halt practically, but still says Internet Connected. If you turn the router off and on again, it works again for about 2 minutes, then slows down again to the point that no websites can download.

However, if I started streaming something before that 2 minutes, it would continue to stream, even when everything else had pretty much stopped.

Any ideas? Some kind of firewall? I really am baffled.

Hi jimmybeig,

Can you confirm how many devices would generally be connected at the one time at your parents address? Also if you would like to PM me with the tel no: I can run a few checks on the connection.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭jimmybeige

Often it would just be my own computer that would be connected. At most probably two or three devices. My computer has not had this issue anywhere else, and no one else in the house seems to be having this issue with their computer/phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

jimmybeige wrote: »
    Often it would just be my own computer that would be connected. At most probably two or three devices. My computer has not had this issue anywhere else, and no one else in the house seems to be having this issue with their computer/phone.

Hi Jimmy,

We have set up a detailed checklist on our form geared towards improving wireless connection - http://bit.ly/PlpCli

Can you try a few of those suggestions? Then let me know if there is any change.

Thanks, Mark

Advertisement