Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me figure out where to put the Christmas tree!!

Options
  • 29-11-2012 2:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

OK so during the summer I re-decorated the living room in our house. We previously has a sofa and 2 arm chairs in the room - and the TV was wall-mounted. So there was always a spare corner to put the Christmas tree into.

This year we have a corner sofa, and the TV is on a stand. I can't figure out where we have space to put the Christmas tree where it's not going to be in the way.

We usually get a real tree so I'd like to figure out where it might go before I buy one!

I've attached a drawing of the room layout as it is now to give you an idea of what I'm working with space-wise. The sofa won't fit into any other corners - but the TV on the stand can be moved.

I'd appreciate any suggestions...

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

TV moves to the left and tree goes into the corner between it and the chimney breast.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Is there a window? I love having my tree in the front window :D We move around the furniture at Christmas to fit it there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

TV moves to the left and tree goes into the corner between it and the chimney breast.

Sorry - I should have mentioned... the drawing isn't in proportion... there's only about 50cm to move the TV to the left before the door hits it upon opening; and the corner to the left of the chimney breast isn't as spacious as the drawing would have you believe - sorry for my terrible sketching skills! :o
    Is there a window? I love having my tree in the front window :D We move around the furniture at Christmas to fit it there :)

The longest part of the sofa runs along the length of the window (the right side of the drawing) so we can't put the tree there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I was thinking, how about on the roof? Everyone gets to see it, plus it can provide a nesting place for birds too. And you get to go on the roof, I mean how fun and potentially deadly would it be, decorating the tree on the roof! Sure, the neighbours will think you're a crackpot, but the hell with them, you're being different, good on ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Sorry - I should have mentioned... the drawing isn't in proportion... there's only about 50cm to move the TV to the left before the door hits it upon opening; and the corner to the left of the chimney breast isn't as spacious as the drawing would have you believe - sorry for my terrible sketching skills! :o

The longest part of the sofa runs along the length of the window (the right side of the drawing) so we can't put the tree there.

2 ideas....
    Is the short side of the sofa very long? If it's 1.5 seater long it might look okay to rotate the sofa so the long side is along the bottom wall in that picture as long as it clears the door okay and then have the tree near the window.

Otherwise

Move the TV to the top right and put the tree opposite the sofa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 akiko

Hi all.

OK so during the summer I re-decorated the living room in our house. We previously has a sofa and 2 arm chairs in the room - and the TV was wall-mounted. So there was always a spare corner to put the Christmas tree into.

This year we have a corner sofa, and the TV is on a stand. I can't figure out where we have space to put the Christmas tree where it's not going to be in the way.

We usually get a real tree so I'd like to figure out where it might go before I buy one!

I've attached a drawing of the room layout as it is now to give you an idea of what I'm working with space-wise. The sofa won't fit into any other corners - but the TV on the stand can be moved.

Thanks!

Its hard to say if drawing is not to scale but you may have to push the sofa closer to the fireplace and tv, making it more central in the room and put the tree behind it. This may not be an ideal solution though. What about having the main tree in the hallway and choosing a smaller decoration for the sitting room? A garland for over the fireplace will bring the greenery and christmas scent to the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

you need to somehow move the TV.

Most people have to shuffle furniture around to fit in the tree - somehow people manage to do it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

If you can fit it into the corner between the chimney breast and the tv and move the tv out further into the room, that might work? Also, buy a smaller tree than normal if that helps!

Otherwise I would suggest moving the sofa further into the corner next to the chimney breast and have the tree on your right as you come in the door. Obviously without the room dimensions I don't know if that will look ridiculous or not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

Put the telly in near the chimney but at an angle facing the sofa. In the picture the TV is parallel with the wall but if you move it closer to the chimney breast it need not be. So that frees up more space. Then put the tree between the TV and door.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Maybe the kitchen, or hallway, if there is enough room,

looking at the layout of you room, the center is where I would put it, but then you do not get to see the TV, there is no rule what room it needs to be set up in, different can be surprisingly nice sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Top Right corner of your picture (beside the end of the corner sofa)....if space allows for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭owelfisherman

Hi all.

Thanks!
    dont leave it near a fire whatever you do

dont leave it near a fire whatever you do

Same with Xmass candles..heat from the fire/stove and its bye bye candle and a ruined floor too.:(

paddy147 wrote: »

Same with Xmass candles..heat from the fire/stove and its bye bye candle and a ruined floor too.:(
    its not so much the tree going on fire.the tree will dry out

its not so much the tree going on fire.the tree will dry out

I know,thats why we give the trees 1 litre of sugar water and then feed them every 3-4 days in the stands in the house.:)

I know,thats why we give the trees 1 litre of sugar water and then feed them every 3-4 days in the stands in the house.:)
    thats the lad to have

thats the lad to have

14 euro in Lidl.:)

14 euro in Lidl.:)
    must get a few to sell with the trees

must get a few to sell with the trees

You will be doing well...that was last year.:D

Bought 2 of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Alternatively, ask Spar where to put it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭GE90

First world problems :pac:....

• Registered Users Posts: 4 megawish

Move the chimney

Stick it out in the garden...thats what I did.

Advertisement