Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

copyright patent

Options
  • 29-11-2012 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

I have an idea for a new game and am presently working on the prototype. Could anyone tell me what I need to do to protect the idea from theft. The game has both components and written rules. Can I protect everything in one swoop or do I need to copyright the name and rules as well as patent the game itself. (I have already posted this inadvertantly in GAA board apologies from a newby)
    Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

You are right to seek to protect your Intellectual Property rights. Copyright is easily established, at virtually no cost. The same for a name Trade Mark, later you can go for a full Registered Trade Mark. To get a patent you need to talk to a Patent Agent./Attorney. http://www.aptma.ie/. Links to patent agents association in Ireland with a full list and contact details of members. I can recommend Anne Ryan & Co. Any of the firms will be able to advise you on the full range and scope of protection available.

Cheers

Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Copyright - you don't need to do anything. It's automatic.

Patents and trademarks are a different matter - talk to the Patents Office. You can handle a trademark registration without paying a 3rd party if you have the time, but patents are more complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Mylargo

Peterdalkey and Blacknight thank you for the tips.

Advertisement