Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cheap fuel fermoy cork

• 29-11-2012 2:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭

a new petrol station has opened up in fermoy north cork, 148.9 for diesel and the petrol was at least ten cent cheaper than the nearest garage, great saving here, i think its called castlehyde fuel, from fermoy rake the road to ballyhooly its the first garage on the right, i thought they were old prices being displayed, but i filled my car for 70 euro, its cash only by the way. not sure if it will stay at this price.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Skuxx

a new petrol station has opened up in fermoy north cork, 148.9 for diesel and the petrol was at least ten cent cheaper than the nearest garage, great saving here, i think its called castlehyde fuel, from fermoy rake the road to ballyhooly its the first garage on the right, i thought they were old prices being displayed, but i filled my car for 70 euro, its cash only by the way. not sure if it will stay at this price.

If fuel sounds too cheap, chances are its to good to be true! Places like this have been popping up all over the place selling laundered fuel! The cash only is a real give away! Prolonged use of diesel from these places will give you awful injector trouble!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

alan1990 wrote: »
    If fuel sounds too cheap, chances are its to good to be true! Places like this have been popping up all over the place selling laundered fuel! The cash only is a real give away! Prolonged use of diesel from these places will give you awful injector trouble!

Absolutely - anywhere selling significantly cheaper, without a franchise, for cash ticks a lot of boxes for dodgy diesel. I would avoid like the plague!!!

http://blog.aaireland.ie/index.php/2011/09/02/laundered-diesel/dirty-diesel-is-a-deal-with-the-devil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

If its taking only cash and not part of a wider group then the suspicious antennas have to go haywire.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 brianc42

Petrol and Diesel from any non franchisee seller is a risky venture. Treat all of them with a healthy dose of suspicion . The crap fuel alot of those guys sell burns too quickly. It will damage your engine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Maybe the dealer is genuine and will settle for a "smaller profit margin"

Be interesting to see if nearby garages drop their prices, my guess is that they will settle for smaller profit margins also

Avoid Topaz, they have the dearest fuel prices in the country (95% of the time)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Lol we will soon see you in Bargain Alerts (requests) looking for a cheap injector system!

This fuel is anything but a bargain.
    Did the cash only policy not raise any suspicions?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

No disrespect but there's some sweeping accusations on the smaller retailer here, any non-anecdotal backup to support your arguments?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

slave1 wrote: »
    No disrespect but there's some sweeping accusations on the smaller retailer here, any non-anecdotal backup to support your arguments?

Are you serious?
    If not is the evidence in :
    1)the papers
    2)televised news
    3)the radio
    4)the AA
    5)the Internet

not enough for you?
    These are not smaller retailers they are highly organized criminal gangs.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭North Cork

Not possible to sell Diesel at that price when you take haulage and margin into play. Cash only is washed diesel have come across a few of these sites as i am in the trade. They will last for about a month to six weeks, customs will pay them a visit and the following day they will close and move on to the next town.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Well I've been taking a fill from a cash only independent retailer in the midlands for 15+ years without issue.
    Perhaps not a discussion point for BA, just saying there's sweeping statements that cash/independent = laundered/dirty/crap fuel without direct reference, which I don't necessarily agree with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭grange mac

I could be wrong but was this chap opened earlier in the year and closed down by customs for not having a mineral licence....i know customs done that around fermoy last. feb/mar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭pah

I wouldn't drive through Fermoy if it was 20c a litre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭A Law

slave1 wrote: »
    Well I've been taking a fill from a cash only independent retailer in the midlands for 15+ years without issue.
    Perhaps not a discussion point for BA, just saying there's sweeping statements that cash/independent = laundered/dirty/crap fuel without direct reference, which I don't necessarily agree with.

Is this retailer 10c cheaper dat all the competition cos this is the main point, the fact he only takes cash adds to the suspicion. I would have always bought that cheaper fuel til I started coming here. thanks for the post op as he is only informing people, nobody needs to buy it if they don't want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Is this retailer 10c cheaper dat all the competition cos this is the main point, the fact he only takes cash adds to the suspicion. I would have always bought that cheaper fuel til I started coming here. thanks for the post op as he is only informing people, nobody needs to buy it if they don't want.

And they'd a a$$holes if they didn't point out that theres a lot of washed diesel around, which will wreck your injectors and land you with a bill of 1200 - 2000 euros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

not only is it cash only, its diesel only too according to pumps!
    http://www.pumps.ie/viewStation.php?stationID=3758

not only is it cash only, its diesel only too according to pumps!
    http://www.pumps.ie/viewStation.php?stationID=3758
    No petrol too, prices in the fermoy area have dropped too, he has no over heads like the other garages which could be the reason for the cheaper price, I filled in Dublin at an apple service station for 152 last night, so does that mean their diesel is washed too, I was only pointing out a deal I thought was good at the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

bogman wrote: »

Avoid Topaz, they have the dearest fuel prices in the country (95% of the time)

i wonder about that
    theres a topaz across from galway airport which is doing
    petrol for 158.9 which is good for a big name
    no doubt you could add 5/6c to that nearer the city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭jmorrisey

North Cork wrote: »
    Not possible to sell Diesel at that price when you take haulage and margin into play. Cash only is washed diesel have come across a few of these sites as i am in the trade. They will last for about a month to six weeks, customs will pay them a visit and the following day they will close and move on to the next town.

I wonder about that. Dont you need to go through hoops to obtain a licence to sell petrol/diesel in the first place? If customs shut down a place selling laundered diesel (by the way im not talking about the OPs crowd here) surely there are penalties, criminal convictions associated with this and those who are caught being prevented from just moving on to the next town......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

jmorrisey wrote: »
    I wonder about that. Dont you need to go through hoops to obtain a licence to sell petrol/diesel in the first place? If customs shut down a place selling laundered diesel (by the way im not talking about the OPs crowd here) surely there are penalties, criminal convictions associated with this and those who are caught being prevented from just moving on to the next town......

There are, but trust me the gains out way the penalties ten fold. If you are the type of person to set up cash only fly by night service (where you are not only pumping dodge diesel but you sure as hell ain't putting 50 litre's into a car like the pump says either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

FWIW During the week I passed an ESSO station in Dublin offering diesel for 149.8/L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

pah wrote: »
    I wouldn't drive through Fermoy if it was 20c a litre.
    Why not??
    LOL

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

0lddog wrote: »
    FWIW During the week I passed an ESSO station in Dublin offering diesel for 149.8/L

And if you include concessions into the equation- the Tesco garages are doing diesel at 143.9

The cheap Applegreen garages seem to have put up their prices 1-2c/litre for diesel in the past week- still good value, but you're looking at 150.9/151.9 now......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 298 ✭✭Tony Soprano.

Just filled up a tank from that guy in Fermoy today, as it was convenient and the tank was almost empty. It was something like €1.44 per litre for the diesel (10c cheaper than the rest of the local garages). Now I'm worried I will have some engine damage!

Just filled up a tank from that guy in Fermoy today, as it was convenient and the tank was almost empty. It was something like €1.44 per litre for the diesel (10c cheaper than the rest of the local garages). Now I'm worried I will have some engine damage!

I wouldn't worry after just one fill of it, it would take prolonged use to do any real damage! If you really want to be careful, when your tank gets to half full refill it with proper diesel to dilute it a bit! Be the finest!

I'm filling every third time

I wouldn't worry after just one fill of it, it would take prolonged use to do any real damage! If you really want to be careful, when your tank gets to half full refill it with proper diesel to dilute it a bit! Be the finest!

Thanks for the advice Alan. I'll do that when it's half empty.

You'd think there would be inspectors going around testing the quality though? Especially since it's cash only, and unbelievably cheap.

I'm filling every third time

How much are you saving? 10c a liter x 50 liters (approx)....€5 every third fill!
    Is it really worth risking the injector damage? Chances are you'll be ok....but hardly worth the risk IMO!

How much are you saving? 10c a liter x 50 liters (approx)....€5 every third fill!
    Is it really worth risking the injector damage? Chances are you'll be ok....but hardly worth the risk IMO!
    I don't think the diesel is bad that's why I'm still going there, cash only doesn't put me off, a lot of people are not taking cards now, inc my local Chinese take away, loads of people going to fill up there

• Advertisement

I don't think the diesel is bad that's why I'm still going there, cash only doesn't put me off, a lot of people are not taking cards now, inc my local Chinese take away, loads of people going to fill up there

Yeah it was jammed when I was there today.

Even a few local guards filling up this morning, my mate is a courrier and saving 80 a week, he is going to change the fuel filter more ofter

How can you tell though? You won't see any real difference in performance! The problem arises because washed diesel does not have the same lubrication properties as diesel should have, and the bleach they use to remove the colour plays havoc with the injector tips!
    We had one of these places in limerick, a mate of mine and his mother both used it, mate had to spend over €800 on his car, including new injectors, his mothers jeep was ok, but who knows what level of damage has been done, just not caused any problems yet!
    Anyway, it's your choice, have a read online about these sorts of places and make a decision!

http://www.sacea.org.za/.%5Cdocs%5CSAIT%20Referaat%20Inspuiters_2_Shrunk.pdf

I only live 300 yards from there and to be honest I don't think it is worth the €5 per tank savings. I stick to Topaz.

Even a few local guards filling up this morning, my mate is a courrier and saving 80 a week, he is going to change the fuel filter more ofter

I suppose if they were filling up the squad car it doesn't make much difference to them what happens the car long term

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Obviously this place may be above board trying the wallmart stack em high sell em cheap. However with claims of up to 12% of diesel in Ireland being laundered you'd be mad not to be cautious.
    http://www.thejournal.ie/fuel-laundering/news/

To the people advising people you'll be grand, every second fill etc:
    You might get away with it in old peugot 406 / volkswagon tdi etc. but in a common rail diesel you're buying a lottery ticket the top prize being an enormous bill.

The pressure in first generation common rail is 1350bar - that 19,580 pounds per square inch. Third generation is 1800bar - 26,106 psi.

Now imagine what happens when *anything* other than a lubricant e.g. diesel gets between moving metal parts at 20,000psi. Let alone the corrosive effects of residual acid/water from fuel laundering. Fuel laundries are know to use waste industrial acids containing god know what else.

Its not just your injectors and pump either, metallic wear particles get spewed through the entire system - rail, pipes, thermostatic tees, diverter vales, filter, filter head, tank, lift pump etc. and needs either total replacement (hondas approach - €9k+) or very thorough flushing (good luck trying to find someone thorough/anal enough in Ireland) or the longevity of replacement pump and injectors will be affected perhaps drastically depending on how lazy the person changing the components is.

The best advice if you have a common rail diesel is only fill up in main brand, recently built/renovated stations and keep recent receipts in case of a problem. If you're care get into trouble unexpectedly afer a fill up stop the car and return to the garage by other means and take samples from the pump you filled at.

• Advertisement

I'd say its time for mods to close this now as its clearly not a bargain alert

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 JR Ewing

http://www.thejournal.ie/laundered-fuel-ireland-579896-Sep2012/
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/dublin-service-station-fined-14k-for-fuel-overcharging-2927898.html
    http://blog.aaireland.ie/index.php/2010/06/16/motoring-advice/aa-warns-of-laundered-and-sub-standard-diesel
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0202/1224311113267.html

Firstly I own a fuel distribution business (far away from Fermoy)and have been in the industry since the early 1980s just so people know my experience & history in the Irish Oil industry. The above articles should also make interesting reading and prove much of what I will say.

The margin on fuel (petrol & diesel) at a service station is MAX 5c per litre for large volume stations but would be more typically 3-3.5c per litre for smaller stations. For any station to offer prices more than 1-2c per litre less than branded competitors it CAN ONLY be one of 3 things-
    1. Washed product- Low sulphur MGO "converted" to Road Diesel
    2. Petrol "stretched" with ethanol or other alcohol
    3. Incorrect quantity

One poster commented that maybe the retailer concerned might be prepared to "accept a lower margin" well there is not that much margin in the service station business to accept any less than 3c at the very minimum. Indeed in most service stations the petrol/diesel pumps are almost a "loss leader" to try to stimulate business within the foodcourt/shop attached where margin can be made. To put this into perspective a station which sells 20,000 litres of petrol & 15,000 diesel each week would have a bill for approx €52,500 from their supplier and could expect to make apprx €1,050 gross profit from sales (assuming no theft/stock loss & all sales paid for)- that wouldn't be enough to sustain the running costs of the site/wages/insurance etc unless you have a very good shop. I do not own a service station and personally I wouldn't wish one on my worst enemy as it is a 100 hour+ per week occupation for almost zero net margin.
    The problem at the moment is that due to the open market price increases in the cost of all oil products people have become fixated on the price only- BUT - this is only 33% of the deal when you are filling you car/van or home heating oil tank. How do you know any of the following:
    1. The quality & origin of what you are buying?
    2. The quantity you are receiving?
    The entire industry is now in turmoil as bona fide suppliers are having to compete in a race to the bottom with cowboys & rogue operators. The Revenue & Customs are aware of exactly what is going on but instead of targeting the cheats (easy to spot them as they are the ones with the ridiculous & often below cost prices) they are bringing in accounting & reporting requirements to try to catch them through paper work rather than red handed which is a cop out to be honest. There is washed diesel & stretched petrol now in anything up to 16% of stations in the country. There are "short measure" meters in every county & kerosene from Northern Ireland is being mixed with Irish kerosene to defraud the state of close to €5,000 on every artic load BUT the authorities want more paper work because they don't want to deal with many of the unsavoury characters behind what is going on (can't say I blame them but something needs to be done).
    My advice to the public is BE VERY CAREFUL as price isn't everything. Choose your supplier carefully as you could be penny wise & pound foolish. The margin on a tank of home heating oil/road diesel or agri diesel is generally around €40 gross so if most suppliers are almost the same in your local area but there are ONE or TWO who continually quote €20-30 cheaper than branded suppliers then ask yourself why before falling for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

love the username JR Ewing.....

LOL!! Local nickname "christened" from the business. Poor ole JR bit the dust recently & the oil business looks to be heading in the same direction.

What is going on is just unreal. People almost "gloating" of being quoted such & such a low price from "johnny come lately" operators who have sprung up like mushrooms- when all the while we know that it is a scam (because we get every single wholesale importers price each day so know the base costs)- how do you compete with that sort of thing? Long standing customers now accusing many bona fide suppliers of "over charging" becuase they see the cowboy prices? I would throw in the towel other than I have worked too hard to build an honest business since the early 80's but the authorities are simply not dealing with these toe rags in the proper manner & the public are completely in the dark & naive of what they are buying. Most rogue stations are just closed down, a small amount of fuel siezed & the boys just move on to the next unsuspecting location, while in the distribution business short measure is rife as some independent companies adopt a "if you cant beat'em join'em attitude". It is one big joke!

JR Ewing wrote: »
    LOL!! Local nickname "christened" from the business. Poor ole JR bit the dust recently & the oil business looks to be heading in the same direction.

What is going on is just unreal. People almost "gloating" of being quoted such & such a low price from "johnny come lately" operators who have sprung up like mushrooms- when all the while we know that it is a scam (because we get every single wholesale importers price each day so know the base costs)- how do you compete with that sort of thing? Long standing customers now accusing many bona fide suppliers of "over charging" becuase they see the cowboy prices? I would throw in the towel other than I have worked too hard to build an honest business since the early 80's but the authorities are simply not dealing with these toe rags in the proper manner & the public are completely in the dark & naive of what they are buying. Most rogue stations are just closed down, a small amount of fuel siezed & the boys just move on to the next unsuspecting location, while in the distribution business short measure is rife as some independent companies adopt a "if you cant beat'em join'em attitude". It is one big joke!

Time for a TV3 stlye undercover investigation of these operations like the repeated one about cigs on last night

• Advertisement

I would definitely support such a documentary (I could actually save them a load of time in tracking down the culprits as the entire industry knows who they are in each area!!). The public too need to wise up to the fact that the "cheapest" price may not always be the best deal particularly when you are buying an "unseen" product. Consumer naivety & criminal greed are a guaranteed match in the oil industry at the moment while bona fide businesses are struggling to survive- if the state watchdogs won't do anything about it then maybe TV3 should blow the lid off it? Would be some eye opener for the public that I do guarantee!

JR Ewing wrote: »
    I would definitely support such a documentary (I could actually save them a load of time in tracking down the culprits as the entire industry knows who they are in each area!!). The public too need to wise up to the fact that the "cheapest" price may not always be the best deal particularly when you are buying an "unseen" product. Consumer naivety & criminal greed are a guaranteed match in the oil industry at the moment while bona fide businesses are struggling to survive- if the state watchdogs won't do anything about it then maybe TV3 should blow the lid off it? Would be some eye opener for the public that I do guarantee!

This is such a serious issue that has the potential to harm every driving citizen of the state, so why isn't there even more media coverage of it and how can customs not take a massive zero tolerance approach. The idea that a place would be shut down for this practice and then able to open up somewhere else a few weeks later is staggering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Changing the fuel filter more often won't do anything for him if it's washed diesel.
    vectra wrote: »
    I only live 300 yards from there and to be honest I don't think it is worth the €5 per tank savings. I stick to Topaz.
    Probably because you actually value your car!
    jmorrisey wrote: »
    This is such a serious issue that has the potential to harm every driving citizen of the state, so why isn't there even more media coverage of it and how can customs not take a massive zero tolerance approach. The idea that a place would be shut down for this practice and then able to open up somewhere else a few weeks later is staggering.
    I'd say the characters involved and possibly their friends and background might be a deterrent. I'd say there are some serious scum involved in some cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Gracellet

I am worried now. Live in fermoy and have been travelling past this place for the past 2 months. But had been thinking it is too good to be true. But last night was empty so filled up there. I actually asked the guy who was filling me up why the fuel was so cheap and who owns the place. he said it is the same guy that had a franchise there before when it used to be Texaco, but then this guy used to accept laser, so not sure if it is true.
    They have a sign outside Top fuel guaranteed. But who knows.

I shall not fill there again, I was told by my very causious mother" If somethings seem like too good to be true, chances are that it is"

I hope the tank of diesel will not damage my car. Can't afford another one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Top Fuel guaranteed, thats the same as saying low low prices when your not the cheapest!!

You will probably be ok with one tank. when half empty top it up in Topaz. I will only use Topaz and live in Fermoy as well.

I usually use the new Amber station. But got tempted last night. Can an inspection be carried out to verify how genuine these folks are? Surely if they are doing something illegal they would not be abelt o do in broad daylight like this??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭Corkladddd!!

Ya I'm from around Fermoy and when I'm home I'll only use Topaz; There is nothing wrong with Amber quality per se but I notice a lack of punch from the car when using it and also get less mpg but does if I'm stuck and can't get to Topaz. I know a local bus driver that gets 50-60 more miles from a tank filled in Topaz compared to Amber.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

See there's the place in Mallow below Castlelands after re-opening. Diesel 150.8 with the Applegreen banner on the forecourt.
    I've used their fuel from Clonmel and found it ok,admittedly not as good as Topaz and about the same as Amber performance wise imo.
    If they're doing it at a cent less in Fermoy it doesn't automatically flag red does it?Nothing to do with any of these places btw.

now lads I am a woman and can tell no difference in punch, mpg or anything like that. So is Topaz the best for value? I thought that they are very expensive.

I never eben knew you can get more or less mielage from better/worse fuel or better performance?

• Advertisement
Advertisement