Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cheap fuel fermoy cork

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I find ESSO gives me the best MPG and TOP after that, TOPAZ actually doesn't give me great mileage so question the effect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 Corkeire

Hi I pass this place on my way to mallow every morning and always fill here.i drive a mew bmw so i was weary so I got my car to a mechanic to check my car and look at the fuel and he said it was perfect I get an extra 20 miles pg when I fill here so I'm happy with it and I'd doubt they are doing anything wrong because they are here quiet a wile so grace I wouldn't worie if I were you :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 michael buis

I seen few taxis and mini buses always filling that's always a good sign they would want to harm there cars.always very busy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭tennis12

i was getting my car serviced the other day, mechanic said the fuel filter (diesel) was the wrong colour and bleached diesel must have been put into her. I only buy from two garages normally, ones an Amber and the other one is an Esso, i dont know which one is to blame but somethings not right.
    Also noticed a petrol station locally had customs in this week, i was in work accross the road and they were there for hours. Next day the station was open so i presumed everything was fine but there was a sheet on the pumps saying "cash sales only". Should that ring alarm bells?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

When you say these places are cheap- what do you mean?
    I've just filled up at 152.8 locally- which is a couple of pence cheaper than elsewhere, but nothing I'd be writing home about......? How much are these suspect garages charging?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Corkeire wrote: »
    Hi I pass this place on my way to mallow every morning and always fill here.i drive a mew bmw so i was weary so I got my car to a mechanic to check my car and look at the fuel and he said it was perfect I get an extra 20 miles pg when I fill here so I'm happy with it and I'd doubt they are doing anything wrong because they are here quiet a wile so grace I wouldn't worie if I were you :)
    I seen few taxis and mini buses always filling that's always a good sign they would want to harm there cars.always very busy

*sniff sniff*
    Do I detect a funnly smell of bull from both those posts?
    Ironically both posters have one post each and both posted here directly after each other.

@ OP

Topaz is the only fuel I would use here in town.
    If I am away on a trip I would only buy branded
    ie. Esso - Topaz etc.

I would not at any cost put the diesel from those pumps in my car.

Amber is a non no for me also.
    We do have Texaco at the other end of town but the price puts me off.

Do yourself a favour.
    Top up in Topaz every week and don't get caught short. You will pay dearly in the long run.
    As I said above. Top up once half tank is used and stich with branded.
    I would say high;y unlikely you would have any damage done with just one tank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Topaz is the very last place I will shop for petrol/diesel, why, because 99.9% of the time it is the most expensive place to shop for fuel

bogman wrote: »
    Topaz is the very last place I will shop for petrol/diesel, why, because 99.9% of the time it is the most expensive place to shop for fuel

The real expense comes into play when your pump or worse goes bang from using crap fuel.

vectra wrote: »

The real expense comes into play when your pump or worse goes bang from using crap fuel.

You must be a mechanic then are you??
    Or you either have a part to play in topaz as you clearly state that amber and any other petrol station about from topaz which is the dearest in town are selling bad diesel??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

*sniff sniff*
    Do I detect a funnly smell of bull from both those posts?
    Ironically both posters have one post each and both posted here directly after each other.
    Getting that same smell myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

I get about 700km to a tank in my van on topaz and about 650-670 on other diesel. You can get the same with normal/cheaper diesel by adding dipetane, or two stroke oil. Quality of fuel is a real issue with common rail, I put any old crap into our old mechanically pumped passat whcih will happily run on waste oil and pish but anything with a common rail engine I'll only fill up in quality branded place new/recently renovated places with new pumps and new tanks.

Or you either have a part to play in topaz as you clearly state that amber and any other petrol station about from topaz which is the dearest in town are selling bad diesel??

Not a mechanic.. Nope.
    But very friendly with staff in a local motor factors that saw their sales of diesel fuel filters rise shortly after customers changed to using one of the *Cheaper* diesels in town.

I have no hand in anything to do with Topaz nor any other outlet,
    I do happen to drive a CR diesel and under no circumstances will I take chances trying to *save* a few cent.

OH,
    By the way.
    Have another look around town. Topaz are a far cry from being the dearest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Come on, just admit you took the shilling.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »

Come on, just admit you took the shilling.

I took the what sorry??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

I filled up at that garage in Fermoy once. Cash only made me very suspicious. There's also no brand name.

I was in Dungarvan during the week and the diesel there was cheap from the branded garages @ 1.49. No problem buying that. Cork seems to be quite expensive, especially bloody East Cork.

Anyone thinking of buying 'cheap' diesel from the the non-branded, cash-only outlets, might want to read this thread first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 liamjones1954

dats very chep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Is that place in dungarvan star energy? Theres one of those just opened locally in roscommon its about 6 -8 cents per liter cheaper that topaz. I called in to talk to the staff they said they're getting their oil from esso via dublin port instead of whitegate. There was a strong methanethiol smell from the petrol which I certainly don't get from whitegate. Wonder is it uk 'supermarket' fuel.

There was a fair few garages in Dungarvan selling at that price. Can't remember what brand, but they were recognisable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I took the what sorry??
    Nice try. Are you now trying to pretend that you are not shilling?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭jharr100

My mechanic says Topaz are the only filling stations where the diesel is filtered twice. Wouldn't go near any other forecourt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

Right so.

I drive a 01 1.7td Astra and normally (when I remember) throw Diptene into it. I'd normally fill up in Amber in Mayfield as its the cheapest locally. Would normally do around 20-25 miles per day, made up of 4-5 short trips. All that combines to around 42mpg.

There's a Topaz down in Tiovoli that's around 3c per litre more expensive.

Are the clever on here saying I'd be better off using the Topaz? Could/Should I use the Diptene with it too?

No need for Diptene in Topaz fuel.
    Only you can answer your question to be fair.

Why not go to topaz for a few fill ups and see if there is a difference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Doesn't maxol get their fuel from topaz prior to each adding their own additive? Has been the case for a few years now

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Soarer wrote: »
    Right so.

I drive a 01 1.7td Astra and normally (when I remember) throw Diptene into it. I'd normally fill up in Amber in Mayfield as its the cheapest locally. Would normally do around 20-25 miles per day, made up of 4-5 short trips. All that combines to around 42mpg.

There's a Topaz down in Tiovoli that's around 3c per litre more expensive.

Are the clever on here saying I'd be better off using the Topaz? Could/Should I use the Diptene with it too?

I add Diptene to every 10th tank from Maxol or Applegreen.
    I drive an 03td Volvo V40 (1.9ltr) and average 45MPG on short trips, or up to 55MPG on long motorway drives. I'll readily admit that I like driving at a modest speed, I'm no rally driver- but even on side roads I try to get up the gears as quickly as reasonable.
    Strictly speaking its not necessary to add Diptene to fuel, if its from a reputable source, I only add it every 10th or so time, as I feel it keeps the filters clean and you get a cleaner burn- but if your car is properly serviced and you're using good fuel- it shouldn't be an issue one way or the other.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Not a mechanic.. Nope.
    But very friendly with staff in a local motor factors that saw their sales of diesel fuel filters rise shortly after customers changed to using one of the *Cheaper* diesels in town.

I have no hand in anything to do with Topaz nor any other outlet,
    I do happen to drive a CR diesel and under no circumstances will I take chances trying to *save* a few cent.

OH,
    By the way.
    Have another look around town. Topaz are a far cry from being the dearest.

I don't know any mechanics that change the fuel filter outside of the service interval.

Especially since its a pain in the ar%e if you don't have the kit to bleed air out of the system.

I don't know any mechanics that change the fuel filter outside of the service interval.

Especially since its a pain in the ar%e if you don't have the kit to bleed air out of the system.

Even if there are fekked from dodgy fuel??

dats very chep
    paddyp wrote: »
    Is that place in dungarvan star energy? Theres one of those just opened locally in roscommon its about 6 -8 cents per liter cheaper that topaz. I called in to talk to the staff they said they're getting their oil from esso via dublin port instead of whitegate. There was a strong methanethiol smell from the petrol which I certainly don't get from whitegate. Wonder is it uk 'supermarket' fuel.

Was in Dungarvan again today.

One station between Yougahal and Dungarvan, named 'Discount Fuels', were selling Diesel @ €1.48.8.

Campus in Dungarvan town were €1.49. Harvey's in Dungarvan were €1.49 also.

These three place are no cowboy outfits. They are big filling stations with shops and are very, very busy.

Was I mad to fill up?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I've used Discount Fuels several times without any problems, and I'd have no problem using them again. The Amber in Youghal is often around the same price, although not at the moment according to Pumps.ie. My cars are always 10+ year old petrols though, I'm not sure I'd be using non-mainstream if I had a DPF.

Advertisement