Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013-Draft Waterford-Heuston Train Timetable

Options
  • 29-11-2012 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭

The proposed timetable is to take affect from 20/1/13

7 services daily to Heustion reduced from 8 (no change to Sun with 4)
    2 services daily to Limerick Junction reduced from 3

I would advise people to comment

http://www.irishrail.ie/cat_news.jsp?i=4732&p=116&n=237

I would ask as many people who can to comment as ask for a service departing Waterford around 09.00-09.30. Its badly needed its the only interciy route to Dublin with no departures around 09.00. Sunday services could do with being increased to 5 each way and I think a lather departure from Waterford would be good.

Note Waterford is the only route to see a reduction in service, with Galway, Wesport, Cork, Tralee and Limerick haveing services added. The more comments they receive the better change of the current level being restored to better times that suit people.

Between 10-20 minute journey time reduction.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Cheers for the update.
    I suppose different folks have different needs and all that good stuff. I use the train on a regular basis and it's either early mornings for meetings or afternoons for to get up in time to perform/attend gigs so the proposed timetable doesn't impact upon me in any way I can see.

Out of interest, how come a 09.00 train?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Out of interest, how come a 09.00 train?

Because its the only gap in the timetable that needs to be filled. No service between 07.50-11.00. When they tried the 16.50 it was only a matter of time before it was dropped and people have always said to IE that a service around 09.00 would work better.

If an 09.00 was interduced it would allow people from Dugarvan, Kilmacthomas etc who can't get a lift to train to take the bus and arrive in Waterford at 08.20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Getting to the station for 7.50 turns a leisurely day trip to Dublin into an ordeal. Having the next train over 3 hours later means the day is wasted.

It's obviously timetabled this way so the wife of a cousin of the chief executive doesn't have her aromatherapy session disturbed by passing trains every third Thursday.

Getting to the station for 7.50 turns a leisurely day trip to Dublin into an ordeal. Having the next train over 3 hours later means the day is wasted.QUOTE]

My point exactly, the more people who comment about no servivce mid morning the better change IE will listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Whic service was dropped on the Heuston service? Pity, I always thought the Waterford line was busier than most of those outlined and on a par with Glaway figures (west of Athlone there's nothing only Galway itself).
    Dissapointing but could have been worse...

I'd be worried for the Limerick Junction line. They "relaunched" that a few years back with extra servcies...but none at commuting times so it was useless for work/school/college.

• Advertisement

Whic service was dropped on the Heuston service? Pity, I always thought the Waterford line was busier than most of those outlined and on a par with Glaway figures (west of Athlone there's nothing only Galway itself).
    Dissapointing but could have been worse...

I'd be worried for the Limerick Junction line. They "relaunched" that a few years back with extra servcies...but none at commuting times so it was useless for work/school/college.

It is but of course IE are not bothered about the line.

09.10 Heuston-Waterford and 16.50 Waterford-Heuston canceled.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    It is but of course IE are not bothered about the line.

09.10 Heuston-Waterford and 16.50 Waterford-Heuston canceled.

I see there's a 16.40 ex Heuston in future. I think there's currently a 16.30 to Waterford etc, did/does the 16.50 only serve Carlow/Waterford or something?

16.50 served everything all stops to Kildare then non stop to Heuston.

16.40 is a complete joke, over 100 people standing last Friday on it.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    16.50 served everything all stops to Kildare then non stop to Heuston.

16.40 is a complete joke, over 100 people standing last Friday on it.

Sorry I misread your post. I have gotten the 16.40 a couple times from Heuston and it is packed usually.
    To be honest I find myself using the train less and less now. Unless I had an interview or appointment in Dublin city centre and wanted to be more relaxed I don't see the point. Their airport connection is painfully slow as well and gives no reason whatsoever to use IE over and above Kavannaghs or your own car.
    Unless maybe they've started using the port tunnel, but last time I think it didn't.
    The journey times are good but to be honest I feel it's too little too late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Julius Seizure

mfitzy wrote: »
    Sorry I misread your post. I have gotten the 16.40 a couple times from Heuston and it is packed usually.
    To be honest I find myself using the train less and less now. Unless I had an interview or appointment in Dublin city centre and wanted to be more relaxed I don't see the point. Their airport connection is painfully slow as well and gives no reason whatsoever to use IE over and above Kavannaghs or your own car.
    Unless maybe they've started using the port tunnel, but last time I think it didn't.
    The journey times are good but to be honest I feel it's too little too late.

AFAIK 747 always has and always will use the Port tunnel.. or at least the ~10 times I used it..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

I justy cannot bring myself to use the train with the journey times, it is just too long, particularly with the motorway now.

wellboytoo wrote: »
    I justy cannot bring myself to use the train with the journey times, it is just too long, particularly with the motorway now.
    1:50 is very good... every service is faster now. Also factor in timetable padding

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Why is the 6:00 train moved to 6:05? May seem silly but it's the difference between getting in at 8:06 which means I can get the 145 bus that leaves at 8:10. As it stands, the train gets in at around 8:15 so I'm getting the 8:20 bus anyway. So there'll be no change at all.

Something like 5:45 would have suited me down to the ground but alas I know it's not a train service just for me :)

Dubhaltach wrote: »
    AFAIK 747 always has and always will use the Port tunnel.. or at least the ~10 times I used it..

Well that's good maybe it's so long since I used it then!!I take it all back. It stopped for (what seemed) like ages at Busaras as well. How long between Heuston and Airport now roughly?

Yea, these are good journey times but too little I think unless going into town.

mfitzy wrote: »
    Well that's good maybe it's so long since I used it then!!I take it all back. It stopped for (what seemed) like ages at Busaras as well. How long between Heuston and Airport now roughly?

Yea, these are good journey times but too little I think unless going into town.

They're always changing it around though as I do remember it used to go all the way along the quays to Busáras, then on to the tunnel. then it went up the N1 for a while. The route now it Quays> O'Connell Street> Gardner Street not sure if via parnell or sean McDermott)>Busarus> Tunnel>Airport motorway.

Southbound used to to to Busáras, Accross Matt Talbot Bridge then Quays but now I think might be O'Connell street and then dame street then on.

Used to take me 25 minutes but that was at 5.30 on a saturday :) It took me about 20 minutes from O'Connell street Friday evening so the average is 25-45 min

Advertisement