Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fiver Friday Wexford - Pathetic

Options
  • 29-11-2012 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭

This is from Liveline website, if this is all that's happening in Wexford for Fiver Friday it's pathethic.

Not one coffee shop/pub/cafe even offering a soup and sambo for a fiver? Sigh.

I hope I'm wrong !

Wexford
    at Adamstown Tyres, Waterford Road, New Ross you can get your car lights focus-checked for €5

Clean n' Fix Solutions have various €5 deals when you book them to clean your carpet & upholstery (e.g. have a 3-piece suite cleaned and get your sitting room cleaned for €5) www.cleannfixsolutions.ie

air conditioning systems in BMW and Mini's refreshed for €5 (usually €75) at J Donohoe BMW dealers, Quarry Park, Enniscorthy. Must be booked & used before 24 Dec 2012 www.jdonohoebmw.ie

Ned Kavanagh's garage, Island Road, Enniscorthy will do a €5 Winter Check on any make of car (anti-freeze, tyres, fluid levels, lights etc) Tel: 053 923 3601

the first two customers to email South East Gas Services(southeastgasservices@gmail.com) on Friday 30th will get a comprehensive gas or oil-fired boiler service for €5 (normally €75) Customers must be within a 10-mile radius of Wexford town

coffee + cake for €5 at the Seafield Golf & Spa Hotel, Gorey

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Maybe I'm out of touch but I would consider a fiver for a soup and sambo a rip off any day of the week and not a special offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Maybe I'm out of touch but I would consider a fiver for a soup and sambo a rip off any day of the week and not a special offer.

A soup would retail normally around the 4.00 mark anyways, and a sandwich at least 2.50/3.00, prob more?

Yeh I know it should only cost about a fiver but.......

Just saying that we'll have all the small business owners whinging into the new year and they won't even get involved in a deal that MIGHT muster up some business and it's a great chance to display their wares as they say and try get repeat business from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Yeah we will have all the "Shop Local Support Local" adverts out again for Christmas but the business owners have to give the consumers festive deals aswell to encourge spending.

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Yeah we will have all the "Shop Local Support Local" adverts out again for Christmas but the business owners have to give the consumers festive deals aswell to encourge spending.

100% correct. It's give and take y'know. Make it attractive and for people to part with their hard earned cash and they be happy to support local business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

vicwatson wrote: »
    Just saying that we'll have all the small business owners whinging into the new year and they won't even get involved in a deal that MIGHT muster up some business and it's a great chance to display their wares as they say and try get repeat business from it.
    These are exact daily figures from a business I know in town and are based on opening 6 days a week

Rent €70
    Rates €15
    Utilities €15
    Wages €180 (2 staff, 9 hours a day, €10 an hour)

So before you buy stock, that's €280 a day. If you charged €5 per head for a soup and sandwich, that's 56 people to cover that. Again, that's before you bought the any produce to serve up to them. It can't be done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

oldyouth wrote: »
    These are exact daily figures from a business I know in town and are based on opening 6 days a week

Rent €70
    Rates €15
    Utilities €15

So before you buy stock, that's €280 a day. If you charged €5 per head for a soup and sandwich, that's 56 people to cover that. Again, that's before you bought the any produce to serve up to them. It can't be done

Can see, you cant make it cheaper, we cant afford to pay it ,were do we go from here?

Rent €70
    Rates €15
    Utilities €15

How much for advertising? You get a mention up on the Joe Duffy website and maybe here, and it's for ONE day, you spread the word and even if you make a loss, the point is about getting customers in in the first place and perhaps attracting new customers if the product is good. Word of mouth can be the best free sort of advertising.

It's prob not suited entirely to every business but jaysus there are 6 businesses listed on JD website for the whole of Co.Wexford. Fup sake.

nig1 wrote: »
    Can see, you cant make it cheaper, we cant afford to pay it ,were do we go from here?

That's why many are closing and the cycle worsens. Landlords should reduce rent rather than have unoccupied premises. Rates are disgraceful in most towns and the minimum wage is too high. It's probably a debate for a different forum

How much for advertising? You get a mention up on the Joe Duffy website and maybe here, and it's for ONE day, you spread the word and even if you make a loss, the point is about getting customers in in the first place and perhaps attracting new customers if the product is good. Word of mouth can be the best free sort of advertising.

It's prob not suited entirely to every business but jaysus there are 5 businesses listed on JD website for the whole of Co.Wexford. Fup sake.
    A quarter page in the Wexford People is approx €500 (or 100 soup and sandwiches, if you like) . Don't forget, cafes/sandwich bars have limited seating and certain peak times of the day. You need to maximise the take per head at lunchtime. Certainly there is a case for early bird offers

That's why many are closing and the cycle worsens. Landlords should reduce rent rather than have unoccupied premises. Rates are disgraceful in most towns and the minimum wage is too high. It's probably a debate for a different forum

It is, and I agree with you to a large degree there are many things wrong, but I can't believe that a small cafe or the likes can't do a soup and sandwich for ONE day in order to drum up some business on the day and future business.

We live in tough times and you gotta do what you can.

Perhaps you need 56 people to cover the costs on that day but they are fixed costs, in other words you gotta pay those costs whether you have 1 or 56 people in the premises that day.

I know which one I'd prefer !

• Advertisement

A quarter page in the Wexford People is approx €500 (or 100 soup and sandwiches, if you like) . Don't forget, cafes/sandwich bars have limited seating and certain peak times of the day. You need to maximise the take per head at lunchtime. Certainly there is a case for early bird offers

My point is that this is a case free advertising, no extra outlay in costs, and hopefully the benefit is reaped.

And what is more is that this is Fiver Friday & the push is on to spend and extra fiver that day, cue nice cupcakes on the counter in the cafe at 3/4 for €5 etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Cut the minimum wage definitely wont be able to pay it! vicious circle.

nig1 wrote: »
    Cut the minimum wage definitely wont be able to pay it! vicious circle.
    Look at the daily costs I outlined above. Only wages, followed by rent, will have any significant savings for the cafe owner to allow him reduce his prices. If you don't reduce the minimum wage, then perhaps one of the staff will have to be let go. This would have a negative effect on service with resultant delays, leading to customers going elsewhere.

It is, and I agree with you to a large degree there are many things wrong, but I can't believe that a small cafe or the likes can't do a soup and sandwich for ONE day in order to drum up some business on the day and future business.

Perhaps you need 56 people to cover the costs on that day but they are fixed costs, in other words you gotta pay those costs whether you have 1 or 56 people in the premises that day.

I know which one I'd prefer !
    Friday and Saturday are where many businesses make money to cover shortfalls earlier in the week. While the idea has merit, it can't be held on these days

My example was excluding the cost of the food. You would need to increase that to around 80 covers to realise the exact cost. If a cafe has 25 seats and each person took half an hour to eat their lunch, then that is 90 minutes over the peak time of day just to cover your costs.

I'm not disagreeing with you that every business needs to try some sort of innovative marketing strategy, I just took exception to the phrase 'small businessmen whinging',when the truth is that many are making no money at all and will pay wages to their staff before even looking to take a penny for themselves. It is often easier to see things from our own perspective rather than appreciate the other side.

I could make a decent sandwich and a quality homemade soup in my home for under €1. That doesn't mean a cafe owner is ripping anyone off retailing it for €7

Friday and Saturday are where many businesses make money to cover shortfalls earlier in the week. While the idea has merit, it can't be held on these days

My example was excluding the cost of the food. You would need to increase that to around 80 covers to realise the exact cost. If a cafe has 25 seats and each person took half an hour to eat their lunch, then that is 90 minutes over the peak time of day just to cover your costs.

I'm not disagreeing with you that every business needs to try some sort of innovative marketing strategy, I just took exception to the phrase 'small businessmen whinging',when the truth is that many are making no money at all and will pay wages to their staff before even looking to take a penny for themselves. It is often easier to see things from our own perspective rather than appreciate the other side.

I could make a decent sandwich and a quality homemade soup in my home for under €1. That doesn't mean a cafe owner is ripping anyone off retailing it for €7

I appreciate how tough it is for small businesses out there, that's why I think it's get up off asses time.

If I didn't care about small businesses I wouldn't have started this thread. I didn't start it to have a go but rather to highlight the lack of interest in something as simple as Fiver Friday.

Someone once said that someone helps those that help themselves.

Do you not think that the majority of small business owners lie awake at night trying to think of new angles to draw in business? The truth of the matter is that there is less cash to go around to keep every business viable and a mixture of keeping costs down, while offering value to the customer is the only way out. To operate at a loss with a full premises is not the solution

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

So where did everyone spend their fiver on Friday . Share your good experiences with us .

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Bump,

It's back again this week,anybody got any idea which businesses around the county are taking part?

zerks wrote: »
    Bump,

It's back again this week,anybody got any idea which businesses around the county are taking part?

This is the only thing I can see in Wexford in Leinster -

"get a traditional bacon & cabbage dinner for €5 at Café Lilly's in Rosslare Harbour, Co Wexford"

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/liveline/features/2013/1107/485200-fiver-friday/

Anyone have any more deals for Fiver Friday?

• Advertisement

Bramble Photography, Enniscorthy, Co Wexford - first 10 bookings to email bramblephotography@eircom.net on Fiver Friday get a portrait sitting - one person, family, pet etc - for €5 (RRP €75) / www.bramblephoto.ie/

Sissi's Beauty Salon, South Main Street, Wexford town - a range of €5 offers.

Couldn't find any more,miserable shower down this way.

Only other place I could find in Enniscorthy taking part was Modern Fashions who had about half a dozen shirts & polos on offer (if you were a dwarf or a giant)

Mate told me he was in Applegreen Drinagh this morning and it's their grand opening today and Subway are doing 6" sub BOGOF !! plus other specials on coffee and cakes etc. Shall miss this ! (I know nothing to do with fiver Friday but it's a BOGOF so...)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I bought 6 pork chops for a fiver today in local butcher - does that qualify ?

Advertisement