Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny lines

Options
  • 29-11-2012 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am living in Kilkenny City, and after discussing with Eircom on the phone and various other ISP's, its transpires that the lines in the area are capable of no more than 3Mb/s.
    In the dawn of "NGB" and all of the other marketing crap that eircom are spouting at the moment, the Castlecomer road and the Hebron Road have lines capable of no more than 3Mb/s.

Is there any immediate plan to upgrade these lines as part of the works ongoing in the city at present, I have seen eircom vans around the centre of town for the last number of weeks, or are you intentions to become completely uncompetitive and force people to move to UPC or when its available 4G as opposed to using your 3rd world broadband speeds with ridiculous download caps.

When I called an ISP which uses Eircom lines, they laughed at the thought of providing speeds of 3Mb/s.

It is sad to say, that in Ireland a "technological hub of Europe" I feel almost Oliver Twist like.

PcPLm.jpg
    Please sir, give me some God damn decent broadband.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

How close are you to a green roadside cabinet approx 1.5m high and 2m wide ??

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    How close are you to a green roadside cabinet approx 1.5m high and 2m wide ??

According to Google maps, approximately 140 meters

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Good. Watch out for a second cabinet appearing there in the next 3-4 months and you have a starting package of 50mbits next year some time, one that will easily scale to 100mbits and quite likely to 300mbits in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

I have spoken to UPC and they don't have any plans to service the area, not even in the coming year.

As for the line in the hope of getting DSL, it sounds as though these must be the same lines that Telecom Éireann put in place in the 1980's or even earlier so what hope is there that they will get upgraded now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Hi,

I am living in Kilkenny City, and after discussing with Eircom on the phone and various other ISP's, its transpires that the lines in the area are capable of no more than 3Mb/s.
    In the dawn of "NGB" and all of the other marketing crap that eircom are spouting at the moment, the Castlecomer road and the Hebron Road have lines capable of no more than 3Mb/s.

Is there any immediate plan to upgrade these lines as part of the works ongoing in the city at present, I have seen eircom vans around the centre of town for the last number of weeks, or are you intentions to become completely uncompetitive and force people to move to UPC or when its available 4G as opposed to using your 3rd world broadband speeds with ridiculous download caps.

When I called an ISP which uses Eircom lines, they laughed at the thought of providing speeds of 3Mb/s.

It is sad to say, that in Ireland a "technological hub of Europe" I feel almost Oliver Twist like.

PcPLm.jpg
    Please sir, give me some God damn decent broadband.

Hi Lord Derpington,

Can you PM me with your name and full exact address. As you are with another provider I won't be able to check your line directly. However I can look into the area / exchange and see if there are any network or fibre improvements planned.

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement
Advertisement