Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

I'm am hard to please, been gaming for decades so i sort of miss the "put in cartridge/disc and game just works" stuff.

Stuff needs patching/updating/constant connections nowadays and when it works i don't mind but when stuff like my new console taking 2 hours to update happens it annoys me. Or when something like Driveclub doesn't work fully after nearly 3 weeks.

Anyway, the Wii U updated eventually but i haven't played it yet because it was too late last night and i have to go to work soon. YAY VIDEOGAMES!

What games did you get with it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The initial download can be a little problematic for some, though there's plenty of people out there who own a WiiU and have had no issues at all.
    Send it back and you've missed out but it is your loss, missing out in some of the best games this generation has to offer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

smokingman wrote: »
    What games did you get with it?

Mario Bros and 3D World. I'll be getting MK8 this week and probably some other bits and bobs i can find cheap.

My 32gb pen drive works perfectly in it when i plug it in which is cool.

Mario Bros and 3D World. I'll be getting MK8 this week and probably some other bits and bobs i can find cheap.

My 32gb pen drive works perfectly in it when i plug it in which is cool.

There's a lot of cheap games for it alright. Another nice thing about it.
    If you like the hack and slash games, there's Hyrule Warriors or Bayonetta 1&2, driving games are covered with MK8 or Need For Speed, soccer with FIFA 13, shooters with CoD or ZombiiU....I could go on but there's plenty in this forum to recommend anything to your taste I'm sure.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The lack of EA and now Ubisoft support is unfortunate, but the Nintendo releases alone are worth the price of admission.
    And with who knows what on the way this coming year I'd rather be in then out.
    Certainly there are more things exclusive to this generation on the WiiU that must be played then on the others, given of their big releases can be had on the PS3 and 360.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

In the end of it all its exclusivity that matters most. 3rd party support you can get anywhere else and there is no where else that is better varied and are as much diverse and top quality than Nintendo platforms.

Racers: Mario Kart
    Platformers: Mario , kirby , yoshi, donkey kong
    Rpg: Xenoblade Chronicles x
    Rts: Pikmin 3
    Action: Bayonetta 1 & 2, Devils third , Star Fox, monster hunter
    Fighters: Smash Brothers
    Adventure: Zelda
    Horror: Zombi u, Fatal Frame ( Its coming soon )
    Puzzle platformer : Captain toad treasure tracker

Not to forget the indie support which is quite excellent

there more than enough there that suits peoples needs the characters may be the same but the experiences , Fun and unique experiences always be different :)

Multi platform stuff is a complete irrelevance to me as regards the Wii U.

It's all about the kid-on-christmas-morning feel that only Nintendo exclusive stuff can give me still despite my being 31 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Now this is a link I never thought I'd ever be putting on a Nintendo forum.

Nintendo have teamed up with someone for a Bayonetta themed shoot...............Playboy.

Hold onto your.......hats lads.

http://www.playboy.com/galleries/pamela-horton-nintendo-bayonetta/slide-10

(Theres nothing nude in it in case the moderators send down a demon)

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

When does the MK8 DLC hit?

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2014/10/27/secret-code-unlocks-bayonetta-in-wonderful-101

This is cool as ****, Bayonetta is in wonderful101 :O

• Advertisement

And now my Wii U appears to have bricked my pen drive!

Left it downloading some demos while i went to work today and when i got back they had all failed with "corrupt data" bar W101 and MH3U. Thought nothing of it and played the W101 demo and it worked fine but i thought the game was garbage. Tried MH3U and it got up to loading the mission and then hard-locked the console with a message to contact the manufacturer of the drive.

Reset the Wii U and went into data management to delete the demos and the drive was now write protected somehow so it couldn't be done. Tried to format the drive and the Gamepad and Wii U both hardlock every time!

Tried various methods of un-write protecting in Windows and none of them work.

Basically the Wii U bricked my pen drive for some reason. Thanks Nintendo!

And now my Wii U appears to have bricked my pen drive!

Left it downloading some demos while i went to work today and when i got back they had all failed with "corrupt data" bar W101 and MH3U. Thought nothing of it and played the W101 demo and it worked fine but i thought the game was garbage. Tried MH3U and it got up to loading the mission and then hard-locked the console with a message to contact the manufacturer of the drive.

Reset the Wii U and went into data management to delete the demos and the drive was now write protected somehow so it couldn't be done. Tried to format the drive and the Gamepad and Wii U both hardlock every time!

Tried various methods of un-write protecting in Windows and none of them work.

Basically the Wii U bricked my pen drive for some reason. Thanks Nintendo!

Nintendo recommend using a powered usb; either plugged in or y-cabled.

smokingman wrote: »
    Nintendo recommend using a powered usb; either plugged in or y-cabled.

My y cabled HDD wouldn't work at all, that's why I used the pen drive.

That the console bricked. Because that's a normal thing to happen. I'm beyond annoyed with this console and I haven't even played a game on it yet besides the W101 demo :(

My y cabled HDD wouldn't work at all, that's why I used the pen drive.

That the console bricked. Because that's a normal thing to happen. I'm beyond annoyed with this console and I haven't even played a game on it yet besides the W101 demo :(

The console is bricked?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Sounds like the file system on your usb drive is boned. So you need to remove that file system. What have you tried? A third party formatting tool or DiskPart should do the job.

BTW the drive tended to have mickey fit prior to the day 1 patch if you interrupted a download. After that only interrupting an installation should cause problems. Check your WiiU power led is red - not amber - before unplugging.

Banjo wrote: »
    Sounds like the file system on your usb drive is boned. So you need to remove that file system. What have you tried? A third party formatting tool or DiskPart should do the job.

BTW the drive tended to have mickey fit prior to the day 1 patch if you interrupted a download. After that only interrupting an installation should cause problems. Check your WiiU power led is red - not amber - before unplugging.

Tried diskpart and some registery fiddling. No joy.

The machine was left turned on downloading the demos and the drive was only removed once the problem aros.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,749 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

In the end of it all its exclusivity that matters most. 3rd party support you can get anywhere else and there is no where else that is better varied and are as much diverse and top quality than Nintendo platforms.

Racers: Mario Kart
    Platformers: Mario , kirby , yoshi, donkey kong
    Rpg: Xenoblade Chronicles x
    Rts: Pikmin 3
    Action: Bayonetta 1 & 2, Devils third , Star Fox, monster hunter
    Fighters: Smash Brothers
    Adventure: Zelda
    Horror: Zombi u, Fatal Frame ( Its coming soon )
    Puzzle platformer : Captain toad treasure tracker

Not to forget the indie support which is quite excellent

there more than enough there that suits peoples needs the characters may be the same but the experiences , Fun and unique experiences always be different :)

Half of what you listed aren't out. Zelda, that's probably 2016. Fatal Frame has no plans to be ported outside of Japan. Starfox didn't even have a developer at E3. I would have mentioned Rayman Legends for platformers. More than enough? Where's all the sports titles? Don't even attempt to mention that joke Wii Sports Club. Where's our RPG's? Where's our FPS besides a couple of COD's and there'll be no more? Where's the endless list of missing AAA 3rd party games? Things will only get worse not better. Sure I enjoy the Wii U but let's not fool ourselves here. I didn't spend nearly €400 for an indie playing console nor was that what we were promised.

Nobody bought a WiiU to play third party franchises.
    I think Johnny U said it first and he was right.
    If you had any notion to play Assassins Creed or COD games you probably already own a PS4.
    You own a WiiU for the games you can't get anywhere else.
    And these tend to be titles that transcend the typical Use for a Year and Replace ethic the big series have going on, with titles that will be played for years to come.
    You buy the WiiU for MK8 and Smash Bros, for NSMBU and Super Mario 3D World.
    And you buy it for the potential games ahead, the Legend of Zelda and Starfox because, sure they are not here now, the WiiU is the only place you will find them, at least on a home console.

The WiiU is, however, a perfect complimentary console.
    Pair it up with a PS4 and I think you are set for the next few years of games.

I don't know the exact percentages but at a guess I buy roughly 50/50 first party and third party games. Some of my favourite games are 3rd party like Resident Evil 4, Tales of Symphonia, Mnster Hunter, Soul Caliber II, COD: Black Ops, PES, Tiger Woods 10, Little Kings Story, Okami, etc, etc. We won't for the most part be experiencing much of that this generation. I buy Nintendo consoles exclusively and have never got to play a GTA or a Final Fantasy as just 2 examples. Also, a lot of the 3rd party support the Wii U got, the games have been gimped in some form or other.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Nobody bought a WiiU to play third party franchises.

I would also add that it's exactly that attitude that makes 3rd parties say to hell with Nintendo consoles. If a game is good enough, it doesn't matter who made it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

sligeach wrote: »
    I would also add that it's exactly that attitude that makes 3rd parties say to hell with Nintendo consoles. If a game is good enough, it doesn't matter who made it.

That's not really fair to say though. This attitude isn't some sort of elitism. Last gen the Wii got a lot of cut down ports, with DLC witheld or the PS2 feature set instead of the 360/ps3 one. They burned us before we spurned them.

By the way, how did you miss final fantasy 1-5 and GTA Chinatown on the SNES and ds ? ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

I don't think that's fair to be honest. If you're buying a Nintendo console you pretty much know what you'll get in terms of 3rd party at this stage. Even at launch it was just ports of older PS3/360 games so why would that be a draw? Hence you don't buy it for 3rd party games but the Nintendo games.

I'm completely confident he didn't mean only Nintendo games are good. From posts it's obvious he likes a wide variety of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Really? This conversation again?

Half of what you listed aren't out. Zelda, that's probably 2016. Fatal Frame has no plans to be ported outside of Japan. Starfox didn't even have a developer at E3. I would have mentioned Rayman Legends for platformers. More than enough? Where's all the sports titles? Don't even attempt to mention that joke Wii Sports Club. Where's our RPG's? Where's our FPS besides a couple of COD's and there'll be no more? Where's the endless list of missing AAA 3rd party games? Things will only get worse not better. Sure I enjoy the Wii U but let's not fool ourselves here. I didn't spend nearly €400 for an indie playing console nor was that what we were promised.

Not the point I was making , but its really simple nintendo who started off with locking down all 3rd party on nes evolved and shaped its company into releasing more affordable hardware and are rather happy being the second console under peoples tvs. What I posted , even if you did not grow up on nintendo games (I certainly have not ) alot of the games like zelda I only started to play on the wii and while I am not the biggest mario fan there is more than enough there thats either out or coming out for me to enjoy.

Of course my reasoning to buy the wiiu at launch may differ from your reasons , I bought it for Platnum games Bayonetta 2 and wonderful 101 since they are one of my favourite developers.

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Really? This conversation again?

I used to be active over on the n-Europe.com forums until it descended into this crap with bitchy little self-entitled emos constantly whinging about this and how their daddy's didn't buy them a horse and whatnot. Needless to say, I've left there and hope this haven of people who simply love nintendo systems and more importantly, games, who just chat about the fun they're having, doesn't decend into that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,637 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Well, to that end, can i just say i can't wait for the new MK stuff.

Especially the Zelda bits. Hope the music is good!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

Trailer of Excitebike Arena DLC for Mario Kart has been posted;

• Registered Users Posts: 19,637 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Ach! Didn't know about that - been keeping myself in the dark as much as possible!

(Looks cool!)

Well you're entitled to an opinion.
    And, to be honest, my opinion is you're wrong.

Truth is third parties supported the Wii just fine and I still played the console for the first party stuff.
    The WiiU failed to attract the the third parties with the machine simply not providing a large enough customer base as a result of not selling enough.

If there were third party games of sufficient quality I'd happily buy it but they just don't seem to have materialised, at least not since ZombiU and that was a launch title!

Other than that the third party releases have been, at best, as good as the versions on the 360 and PS3, with tacked on tablet controls, or they have been empirically poorer than the previous generation games, with dodgy framerates.
    So, I will jump in and buy a third party game for the WiiU as soon as it's worth buying.

It's ridiculous to suggest that it's the people who actually spent the money on the WiiU format that are at fault for the lack of original third party support rather than with Nintendo for being incapable of selling the console outside of the Nintendo fanbase, thereby creating a market to sell games to.

• Advertisement

Right, I'm getting to the stage where this thing is going back into the box so I can get my money back.

I actually have a bit of time tonight and the ****ing thing won't even let me play games off discs. Quite simply the worst console experience I've ever had. Nothing has worked properly and it broke my pen drive.

Garbage. The error code I'm getting (105-7329) doesn't exist according to Nintendo

Advertisement