Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Really looking forward to the mario kart dlc!! Is it out the first week of November or later in the month?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

Right, I'm getting to the stage where this thing is going back into the box so I can get my money back.

I actually have a bit of time tonight and the ****ing thing won't even let me play games off discs. Quite simply the worst console experience I've ever had. Nothing has worked properly and it broke my pen drive.

Garbage. The error code I'm getting (105-7329) doesn't exist according to Nintendo

That really doesn't sound right man, I'd bring it back to the shop and ask for a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Really looking forward to the mario kart dlc!! Is it out the first week of November or later in the month?

I wish they'd tell us maybe it will be a surprise on November 1st

Right, I'm getting to the stage where this thing is going back into the box so I can get my money back.

I actually have a bit of time tonight and the ****ing thing won't even let me play games off discs. Quite simply the worst console experience I've ever had. Nothing has worked properly and it broke my pen drive.

Garbage. The error code I'm getting (105-7329) doesn't exist according to Nintendo

Might be a silly question, but have you connected your wii to your Internet connection yet? If you have please ignore the question, best solution bring it back to shop for refund / new console

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Might be a silly question, but have you connected your wii to your Internet connection yet? If you have please ignore the question, best solution bring it back to shop for refund / new console

I've connected it, downloaded stuff (sort of), used the eshop etc.

• Advertisement

Irish Halo wrote: »
    I wish they'd tell us maybe it will be a surprise on November 1st

Well wen ever it's released how bout an "i have a wii u general discussion" mariokart mini tournament the friday or sat night after its released, for the craic

I can use miiverse, I can use the browser but the eshop half works and anything that needs to be updated fails.

Is Nintendos chewing gum and twine network down?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,637 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Well wen ever it's released how bout an "i have a wii u general discussion" mariokart mini tournament the friday or sat night after its released, for the craic

I like the sound of that, if I'm around.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,749 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Well you're entitled to an opinion.
    And, to be honest, my opinion is you're wrong.

Truth is third parties supported the Wii just fine and I still played the console for the first party stuff.
    The WiiU failed to attract the the third parties with the machine simply not providing a large enough customer base as a result of not selling enough.

If there were third party games of sufficient quality I'd happily buy it but they just don't seem to have materialised, at least not since ZombiU and that was a launch title!

Other than that the third party releases have been, at best, as good as the versions on the 360 and PS3, with tacked on tablet controls, or they have been empirically poorer than the previous generation games, with dodgy framerates.
    So, I will jump in and buy a third party game for the WiiU as soon as it's worth buying.

It's ridiculous to suggest that it's the people who actually spent the money on the WiiU format that are at fault for the lack of original third party support rather than with Nintendo for being incapable of selling the console outside of the Nintendo fanbase, thereby creating a market to sell games to.

I'm sorry but that post is littered with wrongness. It's late so I won't go through it just now.

On like Donkey Kong!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

sligeach wrote: »
    I'm sorry but that post is littered with wrongness. It's late so I won't go through it just now.

Fair enough, aside from the first paragraph which seems to have been doomed to auto correct he'll I would stand by it.
    Third parties didn't produce for the WiiU due to a small user base.
    The buyers didn't flock to the console in the first year meaning EA stopped producing.
    The Ubisoft ports of their big mature franchises like Assassins Creed felt like a poorer relation of their 360 and PS3 versions.

Third parties had a similar issue on the Wii when first party titles always seemed to sell better.
    But the install base meant that such a lower percentage of buyers was offset as that was still a large number and the titles brought were often cheap to produce.
    But the WiiU demands more expensive development to generate games of a quality we are used to and a small install base means they just want make the money back.

But I don't need to play COD or Destiny on my WiiU, why do I need Watchdogs on the WiiU when I can get the same game on a console I already own like the 360 or PS3?
    I don't and so I won't buy it.

Nintendo console ownership is all about the quality of their exclusives.
    And, no, it doesn't ever matter who developed them, just that they are good enough to warrant purchase.
    And so far the good third party exclusives are few and far between, the aforementioned ZombiU is probably the most notable one.
    Bayonetta 2 is possibly one of the most remarkable titles on the WiiU at this point.
    A game, in its current form, both Sony and MS would give their eye teeth for.
    And yet it is, at its heart, a third party game, albeit bankrolled by Nintendo but with Platinum given complete control of the project.
    Perhaps, with few more surprises like that, the formats future won't have to hinge exclusively on exclusives, first party ones at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Given franchises like assassin creed have being established on other platforms there fanbase are on there, because they never came to a nintendo platform you could not expect people all jumping in masses to play a game in a series that started on the 3rd installment via mass effect 3, ac3.

Of course 3rd party have never looked so bleak on a ninty system before and the biggest concern could be how will nintendo cope next gen without 3rd party. I think they would have to give it a proper go.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

They have the money to buy a couple of Western studios or IPs and expand on what Bayonetta gave them - a 2nd party game that makes non-believers drool. They just need to do more of that, and lay some groundwork so their next console has a bigger initial swell of interest. The problem is that no matter how good the game is, if no one but Nintiites play it then you're not going to get a lot of converts.

They need to release the Bayonetta 2 demo on all platforms, but the full game on Wii U only.
    Yes, it's impractical and ridiculously expensive and wasteful. But it would be a lot of fun....
    And then do the same thing with Splatoon and X....

EDIT
    Re: Below - in fairness Ubisoft have kept plugging away at the WiiU market longer than most and gave us a bunch of middling to excellent titles, albeit not always with all the features or DLC we might desire. I for one bought a bunch of them - at ridiculous discounts! I don't think I ever spent more than €15 on an Ubisoft game, why bother when if I hang on 3-6 months it'll reduce in price? If they're not making money we can't expect to hang in there forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I'd played the earlier Assassins Creed games on other platforms, but got Black Flag on the Wii U, and really enjoyed it. Find it grating that Ubisoft's excuse for not bringing Unity to the Wii U is that it is too demanding for the console, yet the other AC title they're working on, Rogue, for the 360 and PS3 isn't coming to the Wii U either.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭shreddedloops

Anyone know of anywhere that has the Pro controller stocked at decent price?

Moved the console to a shelf lower in my TV unit and now it seems to connect fine :)

Holy **** MK8 is too good. It's stopped me from trying the two other games I got.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Moved the console to a shelf lower in my TV unit and now it seems to connect fine :)

Holy **** MK8 is too good. It's stopped me from trying the two other games I got.

Who are you and what have you done with mickydoomsux?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

just make sure it's well ventilated. There's a mario Kart 8 thread on here somewhere will all our usernames on it if you want some nintendo friends to play with.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Banjo wrote: »
    They have the money to buy a couple of Western studios or IPs and expand on what Bayonetta gave them - a 2nd party game that makes non-believers drool. They just need to do more of that, and lay some groundwork so their next console has a bigger initial swell of interest. The problem is that no matter how good the game is, if no one but Nintiites play it then you're not going to get a lot of converts.

Good points.

Another thing they need to get spot on with their next console is the name of it. Drop the Wii reference and make sure there's no more confusion.

I remember the initial update being a drag for lots of people, particularly if using wireless, I bought a Wii BB adapter and it worked a treat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I remember the initial update being a drag for lots of people, particularly if using wireless, I bought a Wii BB adapter and it worked a treat

Took me an hour and a half on a 50mb wireless connection.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN0II0H620141029?irpc=932

Hmm. Well, that looks like good news to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭coffee to go

MK8 News! Excitebike arena incoming with next month's DLC:

"The course will have randomized ramps and speed boosts, the location of which changes every time you play (with the exception of Time Trials)". Sounds like a blast!

The Wii U, the latest version of the console that first hit the market in 2006, was launched in December 2012, but sales had previously fallen short of projections.

I disagree - 2 years later and it's still being called a Wii. That's not good news...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I disagree - 2 years later and it's still being called a Wii. That's not good news...

For a long time (until fairly recently), whenever i spoke of the Wii U, my friend thought I was talking about THIS.

Allyall wrote: »
    For a long time (until fairly recently), whenever i spoke of the Wii U, my friend thought I was talking about THIS.

4.2 out of 5 stars!

Well worth a look, I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Right, having not given my WiiU enough time over the last, well, since I got it really, I'm going to try and give it a little bit more love.

I've got :

MK8
    NSMBU
    Pikmin 3
    Need for Speed: Most Wanted U
    NintendoLand

N4SMWU: I'm trying to like it. I really am. But there's no challenge or desire to finish races. All the cars are available from the start. What's the point?

NSMBU: Fun. Stuck on a level though. Off hand, can't remember what one, been ages since I tried.

MK8: Fun as hell. I've noone to play local multi with though. :(

NintendoLand: See MK8. Noone to play multi with.

Pikmin 3: Haven't even tried it since I D/Led it. Waiting for the latest console update to finish so I can bang it on.

WiiU, I want to love you. I really do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Right, having not given my WiiU enough time over the last, well, since I got it really, I'm going to try and give it a little bit more love.

I've got :

MK8
    NSMBU
    Pikmin 3
    Need for Speed: Most Wanted U
    NintendoLand

N4SMWU: I'm trying to like it. I really am. But there's no challenge or desire to finish races. All the cars are available from the start. What's the point?

NSMBU: Fun. Stuck on a level though. Off hand, can't remember what one, been ages since I tried.

MK8: Fun as hell. I've noone to play local multi with though. :(

NintendoLand: See MK8. Noone to play multi with.

Pikmin 3: Haven't even tried it since I D/Led it. Waiting for the latest console update to finish so I can bang it on.

WiiU, I want to love you. I really do.

Pikmin Pikmin Pikmin! Play that now! love it and you can now use the wiimotes aswell as the gamepad. Such a great game.

SNAP!

N4S is gorgeous, but once you spend a couple of hours driving around looking for new cars, I really couldn't be arsed racing.

However.... if you link up on MiiVerse with other people you get their Speed Camera records flashing up whenever you pass one. And then you go back to that camera with a Bugatti Veron and try to smash it. (if memory serves Smokingman has set a fairly comprehensive set of challenging times :) )

My Pikmin III is still wrapped in celophane. I'm a bad Nintiite. It's going to stay there too, with both Bayonettas, Hyrule Warriors and Black Flag standing between it and my grubby fists. Damn you backlog!

• Advertisement

However.... if you link up on MiiVerse with other people you get their Speed Camera records flashing up whenever you pass one. And then you go back to that camera with a Bugatti Veron and try to smash it. (if memory serves Smokingman has set a fairly comprehensive set of challenging times :) )
    !
    I have indeed, spent ages on that game and seeing the Miis of friends on billboards or speed trap tables brought out a particular competitiveness in me. After getting murdered in CoD by ten year olds, it was far more satisfying pitching at target times instead of facing my enemy directly!

By the way Sofiztikated, post up your NNID and I'll add you so you have some times to beat ;)

Advertisement