Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Very hard to find an article that indicates all of the Wii U features as of the latest firmware update.

Any ideas? I'm trying to gather as much information on the console.

Firmware updates haven't added much except folders tbh!
    Any specifics you're looking for? On the media side of things it's got Netflix / Amazon and plays HTML5 video on the browser. Oh and it can play games. :p

It's got a friends list function, MiiVerse, off TV play on the gamepad and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Very hard to find an article that indicates all of the Wii U features as of the latest firmware update.

Any ideas? I'm trying to gather as much information on the console.

http://nintendoeverything.com/wii-u-update-version-5-2-0-out-now-folders-and-more/
    Version 5.2.0 U, available via an Internet connection, includes the following improvements:
    Changes to the Wii U Menu:
    • Folders can now be created in the Wii U Menu to hold and organize software icons
    • A Download Management icon has been added to the Wii U Menu
    Changes to Quick Start Menu:
    • The Quick Start Menu will now display when the Wii U is powered on from the Wii U GamePad TV Remote
    • Options have been added to Power Settings that allow users to hide certain software from the Quick Start Menu
    Changes to the HOME Menu:
    • The design and layout of the HOME Menu has been updated
    Changes to the Nintendo eShop:
    • Disabled usage of characters not used when redeeming Nintendo eShop cards (O, I, Z, etc.)
    Improvements to system stability and usability:
    • Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience

More indepth about each update - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_U_system_software

• **** it...I caved :)

CqHp2IV.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,637 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

That's a beautiful photo.

• I'm looking up ZombiU & Hyrule Warriors. Alot of people stating that there both very underrated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I'm looking up ZombiU & Hyrule Warriors. Alot of people stating that there both very underrated.

New super Mario bros wii u is very underrated. People saying it's more of the same. Don't listen to them. It's fantastic. As is super Mario 3d world.

Enjoy the system. So many great ninty exclusives.

• New super Mario bros wii u is very underrated. People saying it's more of the same. Don't listen to them. It's fantastic. As is super Mario 3d world.

Enjoy the system. So many great ninty exclusives.

Will get to them, all in due time though. Lots to get stuck into first off :)

Have you played any of the games I mentioned? Would be interested to get some feedback on them.

I'm looking up ZombiU & Hyrule Warriors. Alot of people stating that there both very underrated.

ZombiU is a great game, that could've been better.. It is the best way I can explain it. I was always hoping for more.. Aghh.. I can't explains it proper like... :)

It's well worth getting and it's not expensive at the minute either.

ZombiU - TheGameCollection

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Have you played any of the games I mentioned? Would be interested to get some feedback on them.

I'll pick up Hyrule Warriors at some point as its an exclusive but tbh I never really enjoyed the Dynasty Warriors thing so can't see myself playing a whole pile of it. Definitely looks nice though.

As for Zombie U its on my must get list as its only a tenner on Amazon. I'll bundle it with some other game soon. Might do it with Freedom Wars now I think about it to get it into super saver territory.

Mario karts great as expected.

Donkey kong i haven't invested enough time into but from what I have played is great.

Lego City undercover is good wholesome fun with a few frame rate issues.

Zelda windwaker hd is a lovely remake.

That's off the top of my head

• Allyall wrote: »
    ZombiU is a great game, that could've been better.. It is the best way I can explain it. I was always hoping for more.. Aghh.. I can't explains it proper like... :)

It's well worth getting and it's not expensive at the minute either.

ZombiU - TheGameCollection

Great price shipped for 9 euros. Just ordered it there. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

I'd recommend them both. Just finished the legend mode in Hyrule Warriors last week, it's great fun, can get a bit repetitive but great for just being able to mindlessly hack through thousands of enemies, although the boss battles do require more thought. If you're a fan of Zelda at all, the nods to past games are great (one hookshot move in particular!)

ZombiU is pretty good as well. I got it at launch, along with NSMBU (agree with the opinion above on this also, is the best in the New series of games). It's a horror game where there actually is genuine tension due to the mechanics. It's a bit rough around the edges but I'd recommend it, especially at the price it goes for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Oh and also, get Pikmin! Does not get recommended enough.

• Just setting it up now, going through config / updates etc..

Bit dissapointed there's no optical out.

As with my setup I have HDMI fed to my projector but the sound is god awful from it. My sound system is optical which is a shame that I can't use it.

Trying to find that AV cable for the original Wii so I can at least use my headset.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,693 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Thinking of taking the plunge and buying the wii u, where is the best place and pack to buy? I've had all older Nintendo systems so love a the usual Nintendo franchises

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

hyrule warriors what day does in november Twilight Princess Pack (November) – New character, weapon, adventure map, and two costumes opens please

how come no captain falcon with link package but his car in it in mario kart 8

what date in november link package opens in mario kart 8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

its shame free game with mario kart 8 stars card is over now

its

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

So I snuck in a bit of WiiU time this morning.

Holy ****, Bayonetta 2 (it was the demo) is just batshit insane! Fun though.

And I forsee many hours being lost to Pikmin.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I don't know the accuracy of this, but if it's true, it'll be disastrous thinking by Nintendo for their Amiibo range...

http://www.polygon.com/2014/10/31/7140959/which-amiibo-work-with-which-nintendo-wii-u-games

Looks like each amiibo will only work with certain games...

Can someone ELI:5 these amiibo yokes to me?

And why am I looking for my credit card?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Amibos seem to be collectable plastic tat aimed at the same market that buys Skylanders stuff. Some people who've actually seen them first-hand have said they are quite poorly made/painted as well.

They'll sell to someone but it sure as hell won't be me.

In other news, i bought Wii U Party, Nintendoland, Zombii U and a sensor bar off ebay at the weekend :)

• Advertisement

Can someone ELI:5 these amiibo yokes to me?

It learns and 'levels up' the more you use it and teach it. It learns from your experiences and improves with your personal customisations. I think that even includes picking up certain objects in some games, i.e. If you haven't taught it how to pick up some items, it/you won't be able to.

Although I much preferred the idea of the almighty powerful Amiibo, if what Star Lord posted above is correct, then, it's just Skylander with a bit more skillz. Each Amiibo for it's own game.. :( That just makes it seem like they are your profile/username signed in. All the skills/level ups you have evolved in a game, can be used on another console... :(

This horrible video explains it a bit better.

That video. :v

I think I've got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

In fairness that article is talking about launch day compatibility, there's scope for patching in Amiibo support. Although, with Luigi not being compatible with MarioKart... what the hell are they thinking???

That said, Disney have dropped the ball in a similar fashion with Infinity - Nick Fury is not compatible with the Avengers playset, despite him being their boss, at least in the movie continuity. Not to mention the lack of a slot for Spiderman. And Venom doesn't cross over with the Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy sets... it's a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

It's a bit less of a mess than the amiibos, by the sounds of it though. I've Link and Samus ordered, will I be able to use Samus in anything other than Smash Bros? If they're patching it into games, they should do the lot or not bother really. They wouldn't have to be too extravagant, just perhaps a small stylised thing for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭James74

So just bought a WiiU. Bloody lovely little bit of machinery. But I noticed a very slight rattle noise from the Game pad, up near the right shoulder buttons.
    It is working perfectly but better being safe than sorry I took it back to Smyths. The guy there told me that they all do that. And sure enough he opened a new box in front of me and it did have the same rattle.
    So anybody else have it? Is it something I should be worried about?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

James74 wrote: »
    So just bought a WiiU. Bloody lovely little bit of machinery. But I noticed a very slight rattle noise from the Game pad, up near the right shoulder buttons.
    It is working perfectly but better being safe than sorry I took it back to Smyths. The guy there told me that they all do that. And sure enough he opened a new box in front of me and it did have the same rattle.
    So anybody else have it? Is it something I should be worried about?

Don't be worried, it's the stylus rattling in it's slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭James74

Haha, Jaysus I feel like a complete dumbass. I didn't even realise there was a stylus in there :D

• James74 wrote: »
    Haha, Jaysus I feel like a complete dumbass. I didn't even realise there was a stylus in there :D

Exact same here. :o:o

I heard the rattling and was concerned. But didn't go back to the shop. You have saved me the bother :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Star Lord wrote: »
    It's a bit less of a mess than the amiibos, by the sounds of it though. I've Link and Shamus ordered, will I be able to use Shamus in anything other than Smash Bros? If they're patching it into games, they should do the lot or not bother really. They wouldn't have to be too extravagant, just perhaps a small stylised thing for example.

Who us this Shamus you keep mentioning?
    Do you mean Samus?
    Because Samus is a bad ass intergalactic bounty hunter, encased in awesome armour and kicking Space Pirate backside.
    On the other hand Shamus is a smelly fecker who smokes roll ups down the pub, encased in a stained World Cup 91 football jersey and stinks of Guinness farts and body odour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Call him smelly to his face. I double dare you!
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQFF_iXNM-1D_9f5wBOBA33lGuWNp9GblAVqr-Ra7m5onS9JvFLwEZOx50k

Samus is a bad example. She's in 2 series : Smash Bros and Metroid. Having no Samus support for Mariokart or Party is grand.

Link is a borderline case. He's a recent addition to Mariokart, so it's fine if he's not supported immediately as the Amiibo support is a new thing anyway. They'd want to patch it in though.

Luigi is criminal. He's been a mainstay of all of the main Amiibo games since the get go. This is RACIST!

Advertisement