Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

sligeach wrote: »
    OMG Amiibo Settings! Wii U System Update 5.3.0 U Tour

That was a painfully slow update. Thank God they're not daily occurrences. That seemed to me like a big update so I'm expecting more than just the amiibo support. It's early doors so we'll see what people sniff out.

More info:

http://nintendoeverything.com/thirdfourth-round-of-amiibo-figures-confirmed-shulk-rosalina-sonic-mega-man-and-more/

http://nintendoeverything.com/toon-link-amiibo-compatible-with-mk8-toon-link-zelda-and-sheik-supported-in-hyrule-warriors/

Ninty have revealed the UK (and so, here too) release dates for those new Amiibo too:

https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/532170921533251584

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

According to IGN the Amiibos are region free.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,637 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I still don't know what the hell I'm supposed to do with those yokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

They're beginning to look more and more like a racket.

I presume all of the games can be played without them, but will we have adverts telling us to buy them?

I was for them when I thought you only needed one, and brought it with you wherever there was a wii u/3ds.
    I was under the impression that you trained it, and used it's skill level in each game you played.

It doesn't look like that'll be the case at all..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Allyall wrote: »
    They're beginning to look more and more like a racket.

I presume all of the games can be played without them, but will we have adverts telling us to buy them?

I was for them when I thought you only needed one, and brought it with you wherever there was a wii u/3ds.
    I was under the impression that you trained it, and used it's skill level in each game you played.

It doesn't look like that'll be the case at all..

I don't care, I'll be the sucker to buy a couple.
    Then, over the years, I'll collect them all....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

Wii U - Mario Kart 8 DLC Pack 1 Trailer
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcL6JYR5eFs&spfreload=10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMUqVHnMawQ&spfreload=10

Wii U - Mario Kart 8 amiibo Trailer

no such thing as free lunch,

Is This How Much Nintendo's Amiibo Will Cost?
    Nintendo refuses to confirm.

By Luke KarmaliNintendo's upcoming Amiibo figures could cost in
    the region of £12.85, at least according to one UK retailer.

ShopTo has a range of Amiibo available for pre-order at that price, leading to speculation that this'll be how much we should expect to pay for each one. When we reached out to Nintendo to see if we could get confirmation of pricing, the company told us it had yet to announce anything official.
    Amiibo Demo - E3 2014
    03:25

We got a chance to sit down with the man himself, Shigeru Miyamoto, to chat about how the company plans to use the NFC project. A representative from Nintendo France said Smash Bros. Wii U would utilize its upcoming figurine platform. The first prototype figurine was shown during an investor's meeting last May in Japan under the codename NFC (Nintendo Figurine Platform or NFC Featured Platform).

For much more on Amiibo, including which models have been officially confirmed, be sure to check out our extensive wiki.

Luke Karmali is IGN's UK News Editor and longtime MMO fan. You too can revel in mediocrity by following him on Twitter.IN THIS ARTICLE
    Nintendo Amiibo
    Releases Q4 2014

Wiki Guide
    Nintendo Amiibo Figurines Wii U
    Read & Contribute...
    3DS
    Read On...
    Games
    Super Smash Bros for Wii U, Mario Kart 8, Yoshis Wooly World, Mario Party 10, Captain Toad Treasure Tracker, Hyrule Warriors, just be on the safe side i wont by them on ebay since 3ds and wiiu are region locked are u sure the buyer will have pal verion amiibo, only place i buy them gamestop or smyths

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

As much as it pains me to say I hope Nintendo just do a Skylander style ripoff open world platform game for these figures but use levels and worlds from Nintendo franchises and Sonic, if the turn out to be only for Smash Bros then what is the point, still little Robbingbandit will adhere to the Pokemon adage, gotta catch em all.

God damn Nintendo exploiting my OCD tendencies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Amiibos are $13.99

As much as it pains me to say I hope Nintendo just do a Skylander style ripoff open world platform game for these figures but use levels and worlds from Nintendo franchises and Sonic, if the turn out to be only for Smash Bros then what is the point, still little Robbingbandit will adhere to the Pokemon adage, gotta catch em all.

God damn Nintendo exploiting my OCD tendencies.

i seeing that someday pokemon amiibos

pokemon rumble figures are close to them

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

wampyrus77 wrote: »
    i seeing that someday pokemon amiibos

pokemon rumble figures are close to them

Yeah,
    All Ninty need to do to sell a few million more Wii U consoles is to bring out a MMORPG or even a Skyrim style experience and have it all about de Pokemonz.
    Amibo support, perhaps a Pokeball style Amibo to get you started included, carry your data with you, feck me but that would be bigger than Jesus!
    It could simply be a translation of the GB/A/DS experience into a third person adventure and people in every region would fall over themselves throwing money at the console.
    There doesn't seem to be a Nintendo franchise that hasn't been translated well from home to handheld and vice versa, but Pokemon seems to be, possibly, the exception, there are precious few home titles that have compared in any regard to the handheld stuff, at least in terms of sales.
    Surely the Wii U could be the perfect host?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

They'd have to be sensible about the Pokemon Amiibos. It's not practical to release 700+ models in terms of manufacturing. Hell, there were only 8 or so for the Blitz game and they didn't sell well! But releasing Pokeballs that let you "catch" one of your in-game mon, train it in ways you can't in-game, use it in other games etc - so people would buy more than one - or having a Trainer Amiibo (which someone suggested a while ago) that stores your team, stats, etc would be great. But you'd only need one, unless you had multiple kids playing the Pokemon Wii U RPG (ship it with one Amiibo, have 2 players per console with 16/32/64 online chums in-map...) In terms of them milking it for cash, they could easily have location or type based Amiibo that let you unlock swarms or areas or something... Or a couple of Move Tutor amiibos, christ they'd do a bomb... but they'd be awful characters to put into other games... although I suppose you could have the Kanto Amiibo unlock a cup in MarioKart [/wishfulthinking]?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Gave Hyrule Warriors a bash since my OH wasn't using it and I bought it for her.
    I actually quiet enjoyed it. I wish the DLC packs were more enticing though.
    Can't see myself getting to level 50 or 99 or whatever.
    Main story mode was a enough for me, dabbled a bit in Adventure mode but there's only so manny ways I can press XXX-YYY as Lana or XXXXX-Y-Y as Link before I get mentally bored.
    Now to continue Bayonetta one

Cormac... wrote: »
    Gave Hyrule Warriors a bash since my OH wasn't using it and I bought it for her.
    I actually quiet enjoyed it. I wish the DLC packs were more enticing though.
    Can't see myself getting to level 50 or 99 or whatever.
    Main story mode was a enough for me, dabbled a bit in Adventure mode but there's only so manny ways I can press XXX-YYY as Lana or XXXXX-Y-Y as Link before I get mentally bored.
    Now to continue Bayonetta one

my link character in hyrule warriors is lvl 85, and Darunia is lvl 78, zelda lvl 50, Lana lvl 48, Midna lvl 48, Ganondorf lvl 45, fi lvl 40, impa lvl 40, shiek lvl 35, cia lvl 10, volga lvl 10, wizzro lvl 10

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

The Mario Kart 8 DLC is apparently live. Anyone know what the file size is?

Edit: never mind, it's 687MB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

smokingman wrote: »
    The Mario Kart 8 DLC is apparently live. Anyone know what the file size is?

Edit: never mind, it's 687MB

cant wait to get home this evening to try it!

Releasing it during the working day is just bad for everyone. This is an attempt to undermine the Euro and strengthen the Yen!

wampyrus77 wrote: »
    my link character in hyrule warriors is lvl 85, and Darunia is lvl 78, zelda lvl 50, Lana lvl 48, Midna lvl 48, Ganondorf lvl 45, fi lvl 40, impa lvl 40, shiek lvl 35, cia lvl 10, volga lvl 10, wizzro lvl 10

Well, that's just swell :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

New tracks are excellent. Zelda, Excitebike, and F-Zero tracks are a delight, although Wario's Mine is a nice surprise since they've made it really feel like a wooden rollercoaster :)

Not big on Link as he's a heavier character than I'd prefer. Baby Daisy remains the racer of choice!

ive unlock ghiriam and ruto for hyrule warriors

all race in the zelda cup should be relationship legend of zelda not just last one

Mariokart, Mariokart, what the feck are you playing at?
    It downloaded the DLC, it says that the DLC is installed, but when I try to access those characters I get the pre-release slide show. Then I notice a game update downtrickling in the background. 10MB downloaded in the space of the hour I spent watching it... god damn you, crappy Nintendo Wifi signal!

Shovel Knight it is so. And let me just remind you all, it's fandabidoozie.

• Advertisement

Banjo wrote: »
    Mariokart, Mariokart, what the feck are you playing at?
    It downloaded the DLC, it says that the DLC is installed, but when I try to access those characters I get the pre-release slide show. Then I notice a game update downtrickling in the background. 10MB downloaded in the space of the hour I spent watching it... god damn you, crappy Nintendo Wifi signal!

Shovel Knight it is so. And let me just remind you all, it's fandabidoozie.

Took hours (actually hours!) to download the 600 odd meg of the update for me yesterday evening. Thought it was my internet connection so went to the batcave to investigate and there was plenty of bandwidth free.

Maybe everyone that has a WiiU also has Mario Kart and the last day has been as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced....by server load....or sumtin.

"everyone that has a WiiU"? What, all four of us downloaded the patch at the same time?

Christ... I mean I love their games and their commitment to good old fashion fun, but would it kill them to throw some money at infrastructure?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Updating system and game without a Gamepad is a pain. Forced console restarts required everywhere :S

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

:(

No joy yet then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

It was a bit annoying last night having to do a system update, launch Mario Kart, update that and then download the DLC, didn't actually get to play (to be fair I started the whole process quite late).

Would it help you all if I pointed out I downloaded the DLC, while at the same time downloading my X-Box Games with Gold free game, my free PS Plus games on BOTH PS3 and PS4 and downloading a few tv shows too...... Think I might have grabbed an album off iTunes at the same time.... No issues, it was ready 10 minutes later :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Cormac... wrote: »
    Would it help you all if I pointed out I downloaded the DLC, while at the same time downloading my X-Box Games with Gold free game, my free PS Plus games on BOTH PS3 and PS4 and downloading a few tv shows too...... Think I might have grabbed an album off iTunes at the same time.... No issues, it was ready 10 minutes later :pac:

----E
    ----E
    ----E
    ----E

Pitchforks, get your pitchforks, only 3 for a Eurdo.

----E
    ----E
    ----E
    ----E

I'll have three, good sir!

----E
    ----E
    ----E
    ----E

you've got skills, you could work for Activision or EA with pitches like that.

Anyway I'm broke now, but at least i have my games :P
    Didn't get to try the courses last night as I had scheduled to play some destiny.
    Will give them a bash tonight, looking forward to it :)

• Advertisement

I have my WiiU set to download updates whilst on standby and it did, but not the MK8 dlc, I switched it on last night to play only to find it wanted to download the infernal thing.
    Switched off the console and the light on the console glowed yellow indicating it's working away for new karty goodness, hopefully...
    We'll see later on.
    The speeds seem to be patchy alright, sometimes downloads to the WiiU are swift, sometimes they take ages, reminds me of PS3 online services.

Advertisement