Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

C14N wrote: »
    It's not that I think it would suddenly kick it up into gear with the XB1 or PS4, but it's hard to get the sales going when awareness is at rock bottom like it is now. It's bad enough that the whole "asymmetrical gaming" thing is so confusing and that it's hard to decide whether the Pro or Wii controller is the main second-player method, but people outside of the gaming subculture just don't seem to know it's a thing that exists and that it's a successor to the Wii rather than a remake of it.

Speaking as someone with zero knowledge of marketing or finance, if it was me, I'd rebrand the whole thing. Like just straight up change the name to anything that didn't contain the word "Wii". Do a total re-launch and make it abundantly clear that this thing is not a Wii or anything like a Wii because the Wii is looked back on the same way people look back on Pogs or Furbies. And sell it with a second controller because if there's one thing the Wii U has over the competition, it's local multiplayer and people who do actually like playing games with friends are a terribly underserved demographic right now.

I don't think the Wii/Wii U thing is the reason. Fair enough, at first there was the whole "why are they remaking the Wii" crowd, but I don't think it can all still be blamed on the 'dumb consumer'. It would be like saying the Xbox One confused people after the Xbox 360 and the Xbox, the PS2 after the PS (then the PS3 and 4), etc.

Or maybe I'm wrong and people are still confused. Maybe it's something that's specific to Nintendo. The SNES certainly caused confusion when it came out, and I'm sure the endless stream of Gameboy and DS consoles have caused some confusion. Even the new 3DS announcement confused a lot of people.

Who knows. In this day an age, I'd like to give people the benefit of the doubt when it comes to this sort of thing, but I think I talked myself out of it in my 2nd paragraph. I'm a bit confused myself now...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Its a fighting game, that doesn't make any sense? Wtf nintendo
    C14N wrote: »
    I have no context here so I'm going to assume that you were playing a 4-way free-for-all and kept going for one person specifically and they don't like that.

Found it on Reddit. Seemingly, Player A targeted Player B, Player A retaliated, Player A went for him again, then Boop, gone.

Bit daft, if you ask me, but I haven't played it (For my sins, I've never played a Smash game in my life!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

I don't think the Wii/Wii U thing is the reason. Fair enough, at first there was the whole "why are they remaking the Wii" crowd, but I don't think it can all still be blamed on the 'dumb consumer'. It would be like saying the Xbox One confused people after the Xbox 360 and the Xbox, the PS2 after the PS (then the PS3 and 4), etc.

Or maybe I'm wrong and people are still confused. Maybe it's something that's specific to Nintendo. The SNES certainly caused confusion when it came out, and I'm sure the endless stream of Gameboy and DS consoles have caused some confusion. Even the new 3DS announcement confused a lot of people.

Who knows. In this day an age, I'd like to give people the benefit of the doubt when it comes to this sort of thing, but I think I talked myself out of it in my 2nd paragraph. I'm a bit confused myself now...

Well part of it is that "U" doesn't necessarily seem like a successor so much to a console as a new number does. Nintendo's last few consoles have all had completely new names (N64 to Gamecube to Wii) so just throwing out a successor like that is unusual compared to Playstation or Xbox which have been using just numbers since their first outings. Even then, I think "Wii 2" would have been a lot clearer.

But I'm not just talking about that clarification. I think the Wii brand is kind of tainted at this point and it didn't help them to tie the latest console to it. A lot of the Wii's audience aren't going to be buying consoles again and a lot of gamers kind of abandoned the Wii as a novelty several years ago in favour of the competition and haven't kept up with it since. Even with the pad, the Wii U is a far more traditional console than the Wii and they should have made this clearer because it seems like most people got kind of tired of the motion controls and the ones who stuck it out did so in spite of them rather than because of them.

I just think they should have taken this chance to revitalise their image. Not say "hey, you know that Wii thing that everyone stopped caring about around 2010? Well we're still doing- where are you going?"
    Found it on Reddit. Seemingly, Player A targeted Player B, Player A retaliated, Player A went for him again, then Boop, gone.

Bit daft, if you ask me, but I haven't played it (For my sins, I've never played a Smash game in my life!)

I dunno. I've played a lot of Smash and I know it can be a real dick move to just aggressively hunt one player. I do it a lot with friends and family to tease them but I can imagine it being more irritating online. It depends on the extent to which the person does it though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

A lot of people didn't recognise the evolution from PlayStation to PlayStation 2, they just wanted whatever could deliver the best version of Fifa.
    But then the PS was a popular console amongst every market share, the Wii was seen, erroneously, to be little more that a platform for minigame titles and games for small children.
    A follow up to that was to be cursed with the association.

But, tbh, the GC faired little better.
    Having loaned my imported launch GC to a magazine for a comparative review of the GC, PS2 and Xbox, the GC finished last, despite it having far better launch software than the PS2 at least. People just couldn't see past the styling and were hooked on the edgy branding of the other two machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Whatever way you spin it I cannot envision Mario Maker being value at full retail price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

i cant wait for friday for ssb wiiu + GameCube Controller Adapter, and my amiibo

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Cormac... wrote: »
    Whatever way you spin it I cannot envision Mario Maker being value at full retail price

But we haven't even seen what the finished package will consist of.
    What we do know is the stuff demoed at the E3 this summer is just a part of it.
    And a full retail price of a WiiU title is typically around 40 to 50, considerably less than the often buggy messes selling for 70+ on the XB1 and PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Key to your comment and to all of this is marketing which has been just ****ing woeful by nintendo.

Personally I'd rather see a huge marketing drive than a 50quid price reduction.

I moved abroad a few months ago and was actually wondering recently if this had changed in Ireland.

Nintendo are certainly splurging heavily on advertising in Belgium and France. Lots of "Mario Kart" and "3D World" footage in ads for the Wii U console. Then there are game specific ads for Smash Bros and Pokémon. For some reason, they also have regular ads for NSMB2 and Tomodachi Life, which I don't think of as new releases.

On some channels there is normally at least one ninty ad on every ad break in daytime tv. I was wondering if this was a sign of them doing better on the continent or whether marketing had been ramped up across the board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,466 ✭✭✭Nollog

Cormac... wrote: »

Agree, I love Mario games, but Mario Maker was confusing when they said it wasn't a cheap downloadable.
    Sure he said it's only a small bit of the finished product at e3, but what more is there to it?

Maybe since they mentioned Mario Maker isn't the final name they'll call it Nintendo Maker and add in all their platformer sprites, kirby, DK etc.
    Maybe it'd be worth it to create a mess akin to smash bros, but as a playable platformer.

mario maker wont be out untill summer 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Allyall wrote: »
    zb08Dtzl.jpg?1

& FREE Delivery in the UK. Details its doesn't say free delivery for ireland

druss wrote: »
    I moved abroad a few months ago and was actually wondering recently if this had changed in Ireland.

Nintendo are certainly splurging heavily on advertising in Belgium and France. Lots of "Mario Kart" and "3D World" footage in ads for the Wii U console. Then there are game specific ads for Smash Bros and Pokémon. For some reason, they also have regular ads for NSMB2 and Tomodachi Life, which I don't think of as new releases.

On some channels there is normally at least one ninty ad on every ad break in daytime tv. I was wondering if this was a sign of them doing better on the continent or whether marketing had been ramped up across the board.

I've seen the Tomodachi Life, Smash Bros, Mario Kart and Pokemon OR/AS ads (and the occasional Mario bros ad). I don't recall seeing any Wii U ads though, certainly not recently anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 19,637 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

zb08Dtzl.jpg?1

Am i going mad or does that say Zombiu 2?

Am i the only one who hasn't heard about that??

druss wrote: »

Wii U Games and consoles have been at sale price consistently in France for the past year.
    I was considering at one stage, flying over with Ryanair and picking up a few games/battery/accessories from auchan, Carrefour, E-leclerc and others.
    A 32GB console can be found for €199 instore (And can be found cheaper).
    I'd imagine as a result of that, nearly every house has a Wii U in it.

€99.50 Wii U basic (After 50% cashback) with Just dance and wiimote - again
    €199 Wii U basic bundles
    Wii U fit €49
    Wii U Premium lego Bundle - €199
    Pikmin 3 and other games €24.95
    Avengers €10 and other Wii U offers
    Wii U Microphone €1.99
    One Piece - €17.49
    Zelda Windwaker €29.99

That list is endless, there always seems to be a promotion for the Wii U over there, and on a lesser extent the 2DS and some 2DS/3DS games.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Am i going mad or does that say Zombiu 2?

Am i the only one who hasn't heard about that??

I was just posting a screenshot related to the article richymcdermott posted earlier

Wii U Games and consoles have been at sale price consistently in France for the past year.
    I was considering at one stage, flying over with Ryanair and picking up a few games/battery/accessories from auchan, Carrefour, E-leclerc and others.
    A 32GB console can be found for €199 instore (And can be found cheaper).
    I'd imagine as a result of that, nearly every house has a Wii U in it.

€99.50 Wii U basic (After 50% cashback) with Just dance and wiimote - again
    €199 Wii U basic bundles
    Wii U fit €49
    Wii U Premium lego Bundle - €199
    Pikmin 3 and other games €24.95
    Avengers €10 and other Wii U offers
    Wii U Microphone €1.99
    One Piece - €17.49
    Zelda Windwaker €29.99

That list is endless, there always seems to be a promotion for the Wii U over there, and on a lesser extent the 2DS and some 2DS/3DS games.

OH REAALLLY THEN IN IRELAND STILL PRICE AT €289.99 FOR BASIC AND 32 GB, AND Wii U Premium Mario Kart 8 Bundle IS €319.99 AND , Wii U Premium Mario & Luigi Bundle IS €289.99, Wii U Premium Lego City Undercover IS €289.99 AND Wii U Premium WIND WAKER is €289.99, games are roughly still at €50, plus flights are roughly €40 and €40 back then you talking accommodation is over €100, because no such thing as day flights you would come back on the same following day, france is just expensive as ireland for food, but some in capitals more expensive then ireland, how would get there, money for buses, trains so fort

I'm pretty sure, for some time now, French retailers, I'm particular the one's online, post all the described deals internationally, just like everyone else.
    So, no need for the Ryanair flights and smuggling Nintendo goodies through customs.

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure, for some time now, French retailers, I'm particular the one's online, post all the described deals internationally, just like everyone else.
    So, no need for the Ryanair flights and smuggling Nintendo goodies through customs.

then you talking delivery prices such as €50 ,

smuggling Nintendo goodies that bit harsh hey im not smuggling in guns and drugs,

Ryanair flights the max you can carry is 16kg per bag any extra you are not talking cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

If you put the WiiU inside a baby, they won't weigh it. Result!
    Also, you could go over on the ferry using Tesco clubcard points, then fill your car with WiiUs and sell them at your market stall to make up your outgoings and more. Tres bon! This time next year, Wampy - we'll be millionaires!

wampyrus77 wrote: »
    then you talking delivery prices such as €50 ,

smuggling Nintendo goodies that bit harsh hey im not smuggling in guns and drugs,

Ryanair flights the max you can carry is 16kg per bag any extra you are not talking cheap

Have we been drinking meths again?
    Here's a link to Amazon.fr and their shipping page.

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/help/customer/display.html?ie=UTF8&nodeId=201368030

Basically you're looking at about 15 for an item shipped to Ireland.

Banjo wrote: »
    Also, you could go over on the ferry using Tesco clubcard points, then fill your car with WiiUs and sell them at your market stall to make up your outgoings and more. Tres bon! This time next year, Wampy - we'll be millionaires!
    :D

keep dreaming that you all got, to sell stuff at stall you talking roughly €250-€500 per table to book, and with prices increasing every year while our wages are decreasing,

Banjo wrote: »

So, now to breed a race of babies with handy WiiU sized pockets in their tummy, and let the smuggling begin.
    But won't we lose out on the cost of feeding and clothing them, child seats etc?
    As they grow up can they then be used for larger items, like PS4 or XB1?
    Have you really thought this plan through Banjo?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Have you really thought this plan through Banjo?

Yes I have.

See, if we can eugenesynthesise a race of console-pocket babies, I don't see why we can't alter their digestive systems to process the fibres off the back of Ryanair seats. The plane will be their food. As long as we don't all get on the same flight we'll be fine. Unless the flight's landing is delayed and they progress from larval to pupa stage, that could get messy.

The market stall rents have thrown a spanner in the works, I didn't think it through. What we'll do is dig a really deep hole, REALLY deep, and start filling it with water from the taps. Then, 18 months after the next general election we start bottling that water and selling it on street corners and from a second hand ice-cream van. I'm planning to swap 18 copies of Cubic Ninja for that. The money from the Water sales will pay for the market stall and after that - easy street!

I think I'll just get my Nintendo stuff from Gamestop, Argos and Smyths, of that's ok...

I saw an advertisement in Smyths today (on a game case). Wii U with Nintendoland for €250. I dont know how old it is, but I don't recall seeing it there before.

Have we been drinking meths again?
    Here's a link to Amazon.fr and their shipping page.

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/help/customer/display.html?ie=UTF8&nodeId=201368030

Basically you're looking at about 15 for an item shipped to Ireland.
    but prices for wiiu games, consoles etc amazon france are roughly same here, they arent half price

• Advertisement

I don't believe I ever suggested they were, but bargains turn up all over the place, from time to time.

Advertisement