Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

iamtony wrote: »
    I'll add you later(if we're not already friends)
    I haven't got a clue how to play its a pity there isn't a training section or if there is I can't find it? All I can do is 2 moves with each character? And jump using x and y?

What control scheme are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Deano7788 wrote: »
    What control scheme are you using?

Whatever is default ive only played a couple of matches so far. It was on the game pad but I'll be using the pro controller later.

Whatever is default ive only played a couple of matches so far. It was on the game pad but I'll be using the pro controller later.

Cool, just wanted to know which controller you were using (using Gamecube myself).

So X and Y are jump. A is attack and A with a directional button will be a strong attack in that direction.

B is a Special Move and again this vary with the direction button. Using Link as an example, B on it's own fire his bow and you can hold this down to charge a shot. B with left or right fires the boomerang that way. With up you'll do a Spin Attack. With Down, you'll pull out a bomb you can throw. Generally Up and B is also a jump recovery move, so when you're flung off the stage and a double jump isn't enough to get you back this will act like an extra jump.

The right analogue stick is a smash attack which launches your opponent in whichever direction you have it pushed.

ZL and ZR allow you to grab your opponents and you can then throw them. L and R create a shield which gets smaller over time, so you need to ideally press just before an attack hits as the bigger the shield the more damage is blocked. If you press L or R with a directional button you dodge instead.

Cool, just wanted to know which controller you were using (using Gamecube myself).

So X and Y are jump. A is attack and A with a directional button will be a strong attack in that direction.

B is a Special Move and again this vary with the direction button. Using Link as an example, B on it's own fire his bow and you can hold this down to charge a shot. B with left or right fires the boomerang that way. With up you'll do a Spin Attack. With Down, you'll pull out a bomb you can throw. Generally Up and B is also a jump recovery move, so when you're flung off the stage and a double jump isn't enough to get you back this will act like an extra jump.

The right analogue stick is a smash attack which launches your opponent in whichever direction you have it pushed.

ZL and ZR allow you to grab your opponents and you can then throw them. L and R create a shield which gets smaller over time, so you need to ideally press just before an attack hits as the bigger the shield the more damage is blocked. If you press L or R with a directional button you dodge instead.
    thamks for taking the time to explain! I'll use this guide and see can I improve before going online. Another question is how does the scoring system work I was fighting a while ago and the opponents percentages were like 140% and I still lost is it all about not falling off?

thamks for taking the time to explain! I'll use this guide and see can I improve before going online. Another question is how does the scoring system work I was fighting a while ago and the opponents percentages were like 140% and I still lost is it all about not falling off?

So Smash doesn't really work like other fighting games. That's a damage counter. As that gets higher the further you'll go when hit. There's no % that automatically knocks you out, but the higher it gets (particularly over 100%) the more likely it is that you'll get knocked out of the stage. In online this would then take 1 from your score and add 1 to the person who knocked you out if it's a timed match. You're then brought back and start essentially with a new life at 0%. If you're playing for lives, like in solo mode and also possible in multiplayer, each time you get knocked out costs a life. Last person left standing wins.

• Advertisement

So Smash doesn't really work like other fighting games. That's a damage counter. As that gets higher the further you'll go when hit. There's no % that automatically knocks you out, but the higher it gets (particularly over 100%) the more likely it is that you'll get knocked out of the stage. In online this would then take 1 from your score and add 1 to the person who knocked you out if it's a timed match. You're then brought back and start essentially with a new life at 0%. If you're playing for lives, like in solo mode and also possible in multiplayer, each time you get knocked out costs a life. Last person left standing wins.
    Ah now it's starting to make sense thanks again!
    It's all a bit overwhelming at the moment I must say! Is there like a campaign or anything? I don't see a solo mode like I seen on the smash website? If there is I can't find it all I can see when I start the game up is smash, online, or 8 player smash.

It's all a bit overwhelming at the moment I must say! Is there like a campaign or anything? I don't see a solo mode like I seen on the smash website? If there is I can't find it all I can see when I start the game up is smash, online, or 8 player smash.
    dont mind that last bit I just restarted the game and seen the smash your and everything!

dont mind that last bit I just restarted the game and seen the smash your and everything!

And I seen there's an online manual!

It's actually very misleading. To find the solo modes you need to go into the Games & More option. There's a solo option there, as well as a group option if more than 1 of you are playing. There's also a Stage Builder mode as well and an option to customise fighters.

In solo then there's classic, which is play through 6 rounds of varying conditions. The boss is Master Hand, who is literally a giant hand.

There's Special Orders, which is a challenge mode where you are given fights with specific conditions, and you have to pay gold to attempt to win and get a prize.

There are events, which again you fight under certain conditions. No items are allowed, and as you beat one more are unlocked branching off it. It's kind of like Hyrule Warriors Adventure mode.

There's All Star mode, which might have you fighting a bunch of characters from a certain era.

The last option is stadium, which is mini games.

There's also training, which is practice so that could be useful.

It's actually very misleading. To find the solo modes you need to go into the Games & More option. There's a solo option there, as well as a group option if more than 1 of you are playing. There's also a Stage Builder mode as well and an option to customise fighters.

In solo then there's classic, which is play through 6 rounds of varying conditions. The boss is Master Hand, who is literally a giant hand.

There's Special Orders, which is a challenge mode where you are given fights with specific conditions, and you have to pay gold to attempt to win and get a prize.

There are events, which again you fight under certain conditions. No items are allowed, and as you beat one more are unlocked branching off it. It's kind of like Hyrule Warriors Adventure mode.

There's All Star mode, which might have you fighting a bunch of characters from a certain era.

Great stuff thanks. Zero suit Samus is hot!

• Advertisement

Think I'll do a bit of training before going online again I'm getting whipped in the just for fun mode ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭shreddedloops

Think I'll do a bit of training before going online again I'm getting whipped in the just for fun mode ha!

Tried to join you earlier. Seems like the only way to join someone is to join them when they're in an empty game. No sign off invites either. Doesn't make things easy.

Tried to join you earlier. Seems like the only way to join someone is to join them when they're in an empty game. No sign off invites either. Doesn't make things easy.
    I tried to join you aswell, it said you were in a local game but wouldn't let me click into you. There has to be an easier way!

I tried to join you aswell, it said you were in a local game but wouldn't let me click into you. There has to be an easier way!

Have ye tried sending a message asking the other person to join and then creating a room?

Have ye tried sending a message asking the other person to join and then creating a room?
    No but wouldn't that be just a one on one?
    Starting to get into it now I won 1 match online so far but at least I'm getting the hang of it!

No but wouldn't that be just a one on one?
    Starting to get into it now I won 1 match online so far but at least I'm getting the hang of it!

It's weird actually it tells you who's online while looking for friends online but I'm not sure if they are playing smash or just online in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Pointless comment of the day.

I owned an N64, I had friends who owned gamecubes and I owned a Wii yet I have never played Smash Bros.

Seen as though I own a Wii U I decided to order Smash Bros from HD Wow and hopefully will get it before xmas.

My first Smash bros experience could have been in the 90's yet it'll be in 2014 instead which I find funny.

Hope its worth the wait and all the hype that surrounds it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I owned an N64, I had friends who owned gamecubes and I owned a Wii yet I have never played Smash Bros.

Seen as though I own a Wii U I decided to order Smash Bros from HD Wow and hopefully will get it before xmas.

My first Smash bros experience could have been in the 90's yet it'll be in 2014 instead which I find funny.

Good luck with that. You'll be waiting at least 2 weeks and with the run up to Christmas, who knows if it'll take even longer. I've bought several times from them but no way for the sake of less than €5 was I buying it from HD WOW.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

I'll be in the same boat. I had Playstations growing up (well, after the SNES that is), but my friends/cousins had the Nintendo consoles. I had the Wii from its release day, but I never played a Smash Bros game myself.

My sister was hinting at getting me a Wii U game because she knew I was getting it for Christmas, so Smash Bros it is, ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,466 ✭✭✭Nollog

a clerical error at flubbit, or thehut or something has resulted in me getting watch doges u, for around 4 euro.
    Anyone know the trade in price?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

/\/ollog wrote: »
    a clerical error at flubbit, or thehut or something has resulted in me getting watch doges u, for around 4 euro.
    Anyone know the trade in price?

https://ie.webuy.com/product.php?sku=3307215719206

pretty poor. might get more cash on adverts. It was better than I expected on Ps4

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

sligeach wrote: »
    Good luck with that. You'll be waiting at least 2 weeks and with the run up to Christmas, who knows if it'll take even longer. I've bought several times from them but no way for the sake of less than €5 was I buying it from HD WOW.

I'm in no rush for it. If it gets here this side of xmas great.

If it doesnt I'll have Mario Kart 8 and Destiny amongst others to keep me more than occupied.

More bad news came out about the Wii U this morning, surprise, surprise. Smash Bros.Wii U only entered the UK sales chart at number 14. I think it's performed even worse here.

And in the States, information has been coming out about the Black Friday sales where the Wii U only made up 6% of the market share.
    topconsole_share.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

More bad news came out about the Wii U this morning, surprise, surprise. Smash Bros.Wii U only entered the UK sales chart at number 14. I think it's performed even worse here.

And in the States, information has been coming out about the Black Friday sales where the Wii U only made up 6% of the market share.
    topconsole_share.jpg

No surprise there with the level of advertisement behind the PS4/Xbox sales.

Also news on why all these Basic Wii U deals have been popping up.
    The Wii U Basic has had a price cut in the UK

The trade price of the Wii U 8GB Basic console has been significantly cut in the UK, MCV understands.

Nintendo in late October slashed in the region of £70 off of the trade price of the Wii U, with one retail source saying that Nintendo is actively trying to “clear out” the existing stock of the white console.

The result is a handful of pretty sizable discounts to the hardware in the UK including a £199.99 offer from Amazon (that includes Mario Kart 8, Super Mario 3D World, Wii Party U and NintendoLand), a £189.99 bundle from Zavvi (including Super Smash Bros and NintendoLand), an assortment of £159.99 offers from GAME (including two games and an Amiibo) and a games-less £149.86 offer from ShopTo.

The trade price of the Premium 32GB model has not changed and comments from Nintendo president Satoru Iwata earlier this year suggests this is not going to change in the short term.

Nintendo doesn’t officially cite RRPs in the UK, meaning that it will typically not highlight any price cuts – a stark contrast to the noise made by rivals Sony and Microsoft about their recent next-gen pricing activity.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/the-wii-u-basic-has-had-a-price-cut-in-the-uk/

I still wouldn't buy a Basic Wii U, the Premium is much better. And it's hard to believe that 2 years after launch they still haven't cleared the initial production lot of Basic Wii U's. That's how bad things are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

CHART
    But I thought Smash Bros. broke all Wii U records? And came in at 14? :eek::(
    Is the Xbox One on top? :confused: I thought the PS4 was leaps and bounds ahead :confused:.

Not enough little faces to show my confusion...

EDIT - I misread. That's only for the Black Friday Sales.. That's not too bad, considering over here there was feck all Wii U deals, and Smash Bros will be the same price next week as it was then, so no point in rushing to buy it in the sales (It wasn't release day over in the States.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

I still wouldn't buy a Basic Wii U, the Premium is much better.

Forgive my ignorance, but are they not the same console, albeit premium comes in black, and has more space?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

Forgive my ignorance, but are they not the same console, albeit premium comes in black, and has more space?

They are yeah, except premium also comes with a sensor bar and console stand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

So what impact does not having the sensor bar have? I bought the Amazon pack which is the basic one, and also has wii u party and a remote plus. With the remote plus does that eradicate the need for the sensor?!:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

So what impact does not having the sensor bar have? I bought the Amazon pack which is the basic one, and also has wii u party and a remote plus. With the remote plus does that eradicate the need for the sensor?!:confused:

won't let you play the wii games or use the wii motes, I'd say. I'm sure CEx do them pretty cheap, I got a decent set of batteries for wii motes there for 50c.

Advertisement