Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,466 ✭✭✭Nollog

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    What's the story with that fire emblem and shin Megami tensai crossover? Any word when it's coming out?
    I need another game I can waste nearly 100 hrs on.

Anyone else have a big WiiU Christmas lined up?
    Smash Bros, Hyrule Warriors and a surprise game all lined up to get into.
    Well also be having a MarioKartathon, to be followed up on Stephens Day by a Mario Chaseathon. Stage 2 over and over for a few hours.

Raging there wasn't any battle tracks on the new Mario Kart.

rumoured to have been cancelled around the time they went bankrupt and sega had to buy them

• Registered Users Posts: 10,557 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

/\/ollog wrote: »
    rumoured to have been cancelled around the time they went bankrupt and sega had to buy them

Really? Balls! I was really looking forward to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

Think I might pick up Smash today. Got it on 3DS and didn't play much. Not sure it's really my kind of thing, but it's getting such good reviews....and maybe I'll get to play at least a little local multiplayer over Xmas (though tbh, in the event anyone fancies any gaming at all, I think MK8 will prove more popular).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

anybody played Warriors 3 Orochi Hyper? hyrule warriors got me intrested in that type of genre and im wondering is it any good

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I keep meaning to get into the series myself, I own a bunch of them on the PS2, including the Empires version, and there's a turn based variant as well.
    Koei made some interesting stuff alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,637 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Hate to say this, lads, but I'm finding Hyrule Warriors impossible to get into.

I've played it four or five times, and usually i only last a couple of minutes before i go back to Mario Kart.

Its 15.35 on zavvi im tempted for a punt on it for that price. also if you are a new customer use the code WELCOME for 10% off at the check out. thats brings it to 13.82 might send it to parcel motel for the free uk delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

MrVestek wrote: »
    Lads I've met wampyrus in person a few times now at various conventions.

He's a nice lad but he has Aspergers so it's not his fault that he finds it hard to keep up with or not understand the subilities such as sarcasm or whatever... which as I'm sure you all appreciate is quite difficult to understand without the tone of voice of speaking in person anyway regardless of whatever end up the spectrum you may be on.

So... I know I've been guilty of misunderstanding him in the past myself but can you lay off a little bit please?

He's a nice fella, it's not his fault.
    You make it sound like people with Asperger's should be treated differently, and sarcasm should never be used around them. I know people with Asperger's that would be quite annoyed with that.

Its 15.35 on zavvi im tempted for a punt on it for that price. also if you are a new customer use the code WELCOME for 10% off at the check out. thats brings it to 13.82 might send it to parcel motel for the free uk delivery.
    Bollox they cancelled my order because of my parcel motel address

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Bollox they cancelled my order because of my parcel motel address

they do free delivery to Ireland anyways

sweetie wrote: »
    they do free delivery to Ireland anyways

D'oh

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

You make it sound like people with Asperger's should be treated differently, and sarcasm should never be used around them. I know people with Asperger's that would be quite annoyed with that.

I suppose the internet is full of people who figure, with the anonymity online provides, they can be as rude and crappy as they like, without fear of retaliation.
    To see a relatively tight group of posters such as the community on the Ninty forum actually care about another member enough to be polite, though still see the funny side, is rather heart warming.

I too have very close ties to a little person with Aspergers and have been working in the field for over 24 years, with people on the spectrum and while they do want to be treated like everyone else, they also have a right to expect people not to single their interactions with the world and people around them out with abuse and derision.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

When is the new 3DS LL out over here? Is it January?

Defective Amiibo's appearing on ebay.. :(:(:(

Bent sword (rare)
    Black spot on dress
    Broken
    Loose in box (upside down/sideways/slanted)
    FyCQqVb.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

I saw a loose in box Pikachu in gamestop. Thought nothing of it at the time. Sure if you shook it enough you could do that yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Allyall wrote: »
    When is the new 3DS LL out over here? Is it January?

Defective Amiibo's appearing on ebay.. :(:(:(

Bent sword (rare)
    Black spot on dress
    Broken
    Loose in box (upside down/sideways/slanted)
    FyCQqVb.jpg?1

Early 2015 is the time window. Seems like they might release it with majoras mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭James74

Just read Tipsy's post in the Bargain Alert thread about getting his bundle and having to put it away until Christmas. I also had to do that... but not before I set the whole thing up, downloaded system and MK8 updates, and got it all ready to go on Christmas morning :)
    Only problem was, I couldn't help take a sneaky go on MK8, Smash Bros & NSMB. Wish I hadn't because now everytime someone on here says there up for a race or a smash session online I'm just thinking to myself... "feck Santa, lets just get it out right now".
    Anyway, point is, as somebody who is hitting forty and auld hand at PC gaming, it's been a long time (maybe decades) since I've been as excited to get my hands on a games console. Now mostly it's because the most fun I've had playing games the last few years is with my two wains who are both fairly handy on MK Wii and Super Smash Bros Wii. And it really is very hard to beat local multiplayer anything for pure craic. But I have to admit that there is something particularly "Nintendo" that brings back the pure fun and joy of playing games.
    Only Nintendo can make a cynical forty year old count the sleeps 'til Christmas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,637 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Great post! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

Yep, my cousin and I are in the same boat. We're both getting MK8 bundles for Christmas, and neither of us like opening presents before Christmas. Cue a 22 year old and a 30ish year old counting the days to Christmas, ha.

Great to see the wii u getting so much love this Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

For those who are getting new Wii U bundles for Christmas, it's a good idea to try and set them up beforehand. There is a large update for the console itself which can take up to an hour to download and install, depending on your connection. Most games have mandatory updates too, so put the disk in and verify that you can get to the title screen. Game updates can take up to 10 minutes on standard broadband.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Unless you don't set up the net connection, then it won't update at all, and you can live your day in blissful ignorance that there's a better dashboard out there somewhere :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

How long does it take to back up and copy over your data from your Wii, and do both need to on to do it ?

I wasn't going to bother updating mine but now that I'm thinking about it....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Took me hours to do mine. But you get to watch the Pikmins carting your game data around which is strangely soothing. I had to update the Wii first though, which meant backing up the NAND and all sorts, which may have artificially inflated my sense of how long this took.

You don't need to have both Wii and WiiU on or connected to the Telly at the same time to do it - I did it with one telly and sharing an AV cable though I think both were powered the whole way through- but it's going to make it more annoying if you don't. Far as I remember you start the process on the WiiU, it preps an SD card for you, then you move the SD to the Wii and kick the process off there (you have to have downloaded the transfer tool from the Wii Shop though, which necessitates updating your Wii). And then move it back to the WiiU if you're still awake when it asks. Maybe. It was a long time ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Cheers. Yeah, that's the process as I understand it. It's not like I can set up an SD card today from the Wii and update the Wii U then Christmas morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,231 ✭✭✭MrVestek

No not at all. People don't need to change themselves of their behaviour just because they're in the company of someone with aspergers... I'm just saying that it's not his fault that he spouts stuff that has no relation to the thread or he thinks isn't sarcastic.

I was also reminding people not to be mean about it. I don't want to see anyone bullied - aspergers or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,231 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Also if there was anyone here that wasn't wampyrus at Otaku Con the past weekend... all that gaming stuff was mine.

I'm no longer part of the committee.

No my bartop isn't for sale... yes it is awesome.

Nah seriously the bartop got lots of positive feedback at the weekend so I'm very happy with that as all I can see is the flaws and the stuff I want / need to re-do.

Anyway the Wii U was surprisingly popular at the con. Everyone was making jokes (myself included) about nobody liking the Wii U (it had it's functional... moments during the con) but everyone was genuinely surprised by it.

NOBODY who had had an original Wii knew about the giant screen in the controller and they all thought it was a cool idea. Nice marketing Nintendo.

But yeah Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros Wii U were very big hits.

Good job Nintendo... being all about the games. Please never change.

Banjo wrote: »
    Took me hours to do mine. But you get to watch the Pikmins carting your game data around which is strangely soothing. I had to update the Wii first though, which meant backing up the NAND and all sorts, which may have artificially inflated my sense of how long this took.

You don't need to have both Wii and WiiU on or connected to the Telly at the same time to do it - I did it with one telly and sharing an AV cable though I think both were powered the whole way through- but it's going to make it more annoying if you don't. Far as I remember you start the process on the WiiU, it preps an SD card for you, then you move the SD to the Wii and kick the process off there (you have to have downloaded the transfer tool from the Wii Shop though, which necessitates updating your Wii). And then move it back to the WiiU if you're still awake when it asks. Maybe. It was a long time ago.

If I do this now in order to get my old wii saves to finish some games (Metroid Prime, Twilight princess and SMG2 :o) does it interfere with the data I have already on my wii u (downloads saves etc) do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Far as I remember I did the transfer about 3 months after getting the WiiU, didn't affect my existing WiiU save data. What I *didn't* have was any Wii data on the WiiU, I hadn't played any of my Wii games yet. So, I don't know if - for example - if you have a game that you've played on the vWii since getting the WiiU, so it has save data already, and then you transfer your data across from a Wii where you've also played that game so there's a clash.. I don't know what happens next, if anything.

• Advertisement

Banjo wrote: »
    Far as I remember I did the transfer about 3 months after getting the WiiU, didn't affect my existing WiiU save data. What I *didn't* have was any Wii data on the WiiU, I hadn't played any of my Wii games yet. So, I don't know if - for example - if you have a game that you've played on the vWii since getting the WiiU, so it has save data already, and then you transfer your data across from a Wii where you've also played that game so there's a clash.. I don't know what happens next, if anything.

sound, thanks man. I've not actually played a single wii game on it yet. Just wii u and vc games so I should be fine.

Advertisement