Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

How bout a mario kart night some time after santa delivers all the new wii u bundles, i love to play mariokart with 12 boardsies would be some craic!!

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭James74

Heh! Would that not be a borderline massacre against all us freshmeat :D
    Can't wait. But first I have to be able to beat my nine year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

James74 wrote: »
    Heh! Would that not be a borderline massacre against all us freshmeat :D
    Can't wait. But first I have to be able to beat my nine year old.

Good luck with that.. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,557 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I can no longer defeat my younger brother in Mario Kart. Now I'm lucky to win 5 of the races out of the all tour cup.

A university career spent playing Mario kart on the Snes 20+ years ago :o means I'm wayyy more ruthless than my young'uns :D
    Plus I can always manipulate them into racing / gunning for each other rather than me :)

I'm a terrible parent!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

damn future press floor closure Nintendo Official Magazine now no Nintendo magazines left
    http://www.mcvuk.com/…/future-is-closing-official-n…/0139440

plus i came second place in ssb wiiu tournament so close, so i had one left and my competitor had 3 lives and i got him down 1-1 then he knock me out with one shot but both of us were in red zone, so could had gone either way. last sunday at otaku con dublin

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Is anyone interested in a New Years MK8 Tournament of some sort... something along the lines of a 4 man, 4 cup, top 2 progress in a bracket of sorts? I have a few things I could donate as a prize :)

Sounds good. A week to get the eye in. You never know, I might not even come last :D

(jk) I will come last.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Anyone see the reports of a possible new WiiU gamepad design?
    I can't post a link from here but here the address

http://kotaku.com/is-this-a-new-wii-u-gamepad-i-honestly-dont-know-1671135159

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Fawk Nin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

This was already confirmed as an old trailer from back in May and probably nothing to it. Wouldn't mind a redesign myself tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,466 ✭✭✭Nollog

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

That the old mk8 japan trailer?

I theorised it looked like that as the father felt like an f1 racer. (or ps vita finally getting off-tv support)

http://splatoonus.tumblr.com
    NoA has an official tumblr for splatoon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Fawk Nin wrote: »
    This was already confirmed as an old trailer from back in May and probably nothing to it. Wouldn't mind a redesign myself tho.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/12/sorry_to_disappoint_but_that_new_gamepad_mario_kart_8_commercial_is_pretty_old

Yup, old trailer, just camera and focus lighting effect. But I'm pretty sure they will have a gamepad redesign in the next year and announce two gamepad play.

But, in the ad, it does look like a big vita, neato!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

I'm thinking about getting a Wii U. I was a pretty dedicated gamer until around 2009/2010 or so, but over the last 4-5 years I just had less and less time to play video games. I sold my Wii and 360, (never owned a PS3). But things have changed, and I want to get back into gaming. Yesterday I made lists of games I was interested in for all the main consoles from Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo, and the Wii U came out the obvious winner for me, especially with its backwards compatibility with the Wii. The PS4 would've been my second choice, if I could've played all the PS3 exclusives I've never played. Anyways, the lists I made:

Wii

Donkey Kong Country Returns
    Kirby's Epic Yarn
    Kirby's Return To Dream Land
    Sonic Colours

Wii U

Bayonetta
    Bayonetta 2
    Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
    Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
    DuckTales: Remastered
    Kirby and The Rainbow Curse
    New Super Luigi U
    Resident Evil: Revelations
    Sonic Lost World
    Splatoon
    Tekken Tag Tournament 2
    Yoshi's Woolly World

Bearing in mind those are the kind of games I like, are there any other games like those for the Wii/Wii U that I'm missing? Note: I have played the big titles pre-2009, and also Super Mario Galaxy 2 in 2010. I also played and completed New Super Mario Bros. U (Christmas 2012) and Super Mario 3D World (Christmas 2013) at my brother's house.

Splatoon

I'm really looking forward to this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭eoghanie

It kills me how dead Nintendo/WiiU is in Ireland. I'm 33, have had every Nintendo console, and loved every one of them. Nintendo consistently releases highly rated, bug free, spectacular games and yet COD 11 and FIFA 75 are all people want to play. It's depressing as a Nintendo fan to walk into a GameStop nowadays, and most of the Nintendo boards here are ghost towns. Oh well, back to my Amiibo search.......

Is anyone interested in a New Years MK8 Tournament of some sort... something along the lines of a 4 man, 4 cup, top 2 progress in a bracket of sorts? I have a few things I could donate as a prize :)

our team won timespliters tournament for irish cancer society and we called our team hyrule and we donate our prize back to the charity

plus there was a ssb tournament for irish cancer society last september 19th

• Registered Users Posts: 9,231 ✭✭✭MrVestek

wampyrus77 wrote: »
    damn future press floor closure Nintendo Official Magazine now no Nintendo magazines left

plus i came second place in ssb wiiu tournament so close, so i had one left and my competitor had 3 lives and i got him down 1-1 then he knock me out with one shot but both of us were in red zone, so could had gone either way. last sunday at otaku con dublin

That was a close match alright! I hope you thought my rules were fair as they were slightly altered tourney rules! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 19,637 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

wampyrus77 wrote: »

Haven't bought that Official Mag for years, but it makes me sad that there are no Nintendo mags left.

I was hoping that there may be a couple of good promotions for the Wii U this week, coming into Christmas, but it seems not.
    http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/12/nintendo_download_18th_december_europe

Maybe there'll be something on Christmas day. Surely Nintendo have to have noticed that it falls on a Thursday this year..
    (waits in hope) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

The poster in the last issue looked pretty nice. First one I'd bought since the release of the first DS. Shame it was double sided and not two separate posters though. It has Mario Galaxy on one side and Ocarina of Time 3D on the other.

• Advertisement

I'm thinking about getting a Wii U. I was a pretty dedicated gamer until around 2009/2010 or so, but over the last 4-5 years I just had less and less time to play video games. I sold my Wii and 360, (never owned a PS3). But things have changed, and I want to get back into gaming. Yesterday I made lists of games I was interested in for all the main consoles from Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo, and the Wii U came out the obvious winner for me, especially with its backwards compatibility with the Wii. The PS4 would've been my second choice, if I could've played all the PS3 exclusives I've never played. Anyways, the lists I made:

Wii

Donkey Kong Country Returns
    Kirby's Epic Yarn
    Kirby's Return To Dream Land
    Sonic Colours

Wii U

Bayonetta
    Bayonetta 2
    Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
    Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
    DuckTales: Remastered
    Kirby and The Rainbow Curse
    New Super Luigi U
    Resident Evil: Revelations
    Sonic Lost World
    Splatoon
    Tekken Tag Tournament 2
    Yoshi's Woolly World

Bearing in mind those are the kind of games I like, are there any other games like those for the Wii/Wii U that I'm missing? Note: I have played the big titles pre-2009, and also Super Mario Galaxy 2 in 2010. I also played and completed New Super Mario Bros. U (Christmas 2012) and Super Mario 3D World (Christmas 2013) at my brother's house.

No Zelda games here, I'd certainly add them.

Resident Evil 4 on Wii is one of the best games I've ever played. Might be a tiny bit old now.

Most important, add Pikmin 3 on WiiU. It's a thing of real beauty.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    No Zelda games here, I'd certainly add them.

Resident Evil 4 on Wii is one of the best games I've ever played. Might be a tiny bit old now.

Most important, add Pikmin 3 on WiiU. It's a thing of real beauty.

And add Mariok8 and ssb4 and id say you are good to go.

Edit: scratch dat i just the your kind of games sentence.

Nay, don't scratch it!

MK8, best thing ever.

(Can't vouch for SSB yet).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Has Pikmin 3 suddenly become rare? I can't find a copy for sale anywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Thanks for the extra few suggestions. I'm not into the Zelda games (Nintendo blasphemy, I know), I got Twilight Princess at launch for the Wii in 2006, and just couldn't get into it. I played the hell out of Resident Evil 4 on the PS2.

I will check out Pikmin 3, Mario Kart 8, and Super Smash Bros. 4.

speaking of splatoon you can now follow its updates on this website in english

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Delighted that there is a sensor bar included in my basic bundle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Aye that was a nice surprise!

Any tips on the setup lads?

The missus nearly had a seizure the other night, she had got up to get something in the kitchen and was walkin past the tv and gamepad and it came on, "blue lights everywhere!!". I had quick start enabled and auto downloads so think some game update was still going when I went to bed.

And which controller do ye use for mariokart? I had cramp after an hour on the gamepad!

The missus nearly had a seizure the other night, she had got up to get something in the kitchen and was walkin past the tv and gamepad and it came on, "blue lights everywhere!!". I had quick start enabled and auto downloads so think some game update was still going when I went to bed.

And which controller do ye use for mariokart? I had cramp after an hour on the gamepad!

try the the smaller controllers like wiiu pro controller or classic pro controller

maybe luigi and mario wii controllers which work just like classic pro controller since they are gamecube controller they are perfect for ssb as well

• Advertisement

I use the gamepad any time I play.

I do remember feeling that cramp when I got it first, but then it just stopped. Don't ask me...

Advertisement