Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

cloud493 wrote: »
    I think thats just destiny's servers :p

They've not been too bad recently but its not the first time they've been bothersome alright.
    CastorTroy wrote: »
    That was the idea. I know I can never try something out for a few minutes. Unless "a few minutes" is another way of saying "a couple of hours" :)

Yeah I held off in the end. I am looking forward to it but I dont have a xmas day game otherwise. That said I havent opened Bayonetta yet either. It will definately be getting started and finished over my 2 week break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Allyall wrote: »
    I just did as well, to collect before the end of tomorrow.. :D
    But will it be there if we go in?

Well we'll see, I bloody hope so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Media reporting that the official launch date is brought forward to Monday, although some are saying Monday is the 21st.

If anyone collects in Argos today let us know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Considering looking at neogaf everywhere has broken the street date, it'd be silly for ninty to stick to the 2nd.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Sweet, I got my copy from Argos!

• Advertisement

Meh, I picked up Tropical Freeze on Wednesday for €34.99 using an unexpected €10 voucher from Argos when picking something else, would have waited for Toad otherwise. I've picked up a shed load of games in the last few weeks.

captain toad...

http://www.ie.wowhd.com/games/captain-toad-treasure-tracker-nintendo-wii-u/dp/40511873#bc=469c

€33.59 on hdwow. If you're like me and are in no rush for it at all theres a tenner saving to be had over argos and assumably most b&m stores.

edit.. just to be clear hdwow delivery takes weeks. I only got smash bros yesterday and I had it preordered so it was dispatched on launch date.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,710 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Ye are being ripped off by Argos.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/325703.htm

That's €37 and you've free delivery compared to €44 here and no delivery. So Argos are charging you €7 more than your British cousin. I know it's a pre order special but that's exactly what ye have done today. And the pre order should count until the new year because that's its official release date(2nd January).

Even GAME are charging £30 and you know what they're like. I don't think this game is very good and it's still overpriced. It's supposed to be a budget title. €40 plus is not a budget title. It should be €20-€25. Certainly won't be buying this until it's €10.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

I'm gonna wait till January to get captain toad, but I did reserve the 'last one' in Argos ilac, anyone want the reservation code to get the game today?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

sligeach wrote: »

That's €37 and you've free delivery compared to €44 here and no delivery. So Argos are charging you €7 more than your British cousin. I know it's a pre order special but that's exactly what ye have done today. And the pre order should count until the new year because that's its official release date(2nd January).

Even GAME are charging £30 and you know what they're like. I don't think this game is very good and it's still overpriced. It's supposed to be a budget title. €40 plus is not a budget title. It should be €20-€25. Certainly won't be buying this until it's €10.

Don't care, worth it as I now have it for Christmas. Had a 5 euro voucher so it came to 39 which is good enough for me.

You'll probably never get it for a tenner (2nd hand maybe years down the line).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

Being a Nintendo game, I doubt it'll ever see €10

Really... €10?

You'll be waiting. Ninty first party stuff tends to keep its value. I would expect no different from this title.

And you also said it should be €20-€25. You're living in make believe land thinking its should be that price at launch. Maybe in 6 months/year it'll go down slightly but not to those rediculous prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Captain Toad was supposed to launch as a budget title though. €40+ is not a budget price. Late 20s / early 30s would have been more appropriate. Hopefully the eShop price will reflect this, but the idea of the eShop pricing something reasonably has caused some sort of cognitive schism in my brain, so I have to stop typing and mop up the blood.

Being a Nintendo game, I doubt it'll ever see €10

Really... €10?

You'll be waiting. Ninty first party stuff tends to keep its value. I would expect no different from this title.

And you also said it should be €20-€25. You're living in make believe land thinking its should be that price at launch. Maybe in 6 months/year it'll go down slightly but not to those rediculous prices.

Oh believe me it'll be €10. Remember a little game called NintendoLand? That can be bought for €10 new. I also think Captain Toad will bomb as it did in Japan and most likely is doing in the States.

http://www.shopto.net/video-games/wiiu/WIIUNI02-nintendoland

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

Yeah, but Nintendoland is more of a tech demo, like Wii Play, etc. The mini game releases like those don't hold their price well unless they end up being considered rare. This is different entirely.

Plus, comparing console releases between Japan and EU/US is apples and oranges. Name the last console that did well over there.

Banjo wrote: »
    Captain Toad was supposed to launch as a budget title though. €40+ is not a budget price. Late 20s / early 30s would have been more appropriate. Hopefully the eShop price will reflect this, but the idea of the eShop pricing something reasonably has caused some sort of cognitive schism in my brain, so I have to stop typing and mop up the blood.

Ha Ha. So true. Although SteamWorld Dig is half price, €4.49 at the minute.

What are Smyths doing? When are they selling it? They're a little better than Argos at €40.

Yeah, but Nintendoland is more of a tech demo, like Wii Play, etc. The mini game releases like those don't hold their price well unless they en up being considered rare. This is different entirely.

Plus, comparing console releases between Japan and EU/US is apples and oranges. Name the last console that did well over there.

Captain Toad is a tech demo too.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Horsesh*t. If anything, the levels in SM3DW were tech demos, this is the fleshed out version.

Read this.
    These days it sometimes feels as if developers are focusing so heavily on cramming each game full of features that they ultimately lose sight of what's most important - the core gameplay. In contrast, Treasure Tracker just feels like a perfectly realised product - and as such, a breath of fresh air. There's no fluff here, just gameplay backed up with perfect performance and beautiful visuals. It's a ton of fun to play and its technology never lets it down. It's easy to get wrapped up in the issues and details surrounding the technical performance of modern titles, but Treasure Tracker reminds us how wonderful it is when superbly polished technology perfectly serves the game design.

Ultimately Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker is another must-have title in Nintendo's expanding lineup of Wii U software - a game that is perfectly realised within the constraints of the system, achieving everything it sets out to accomplish. It's an approach we'd like to see more developers take - to find beauty in restraint. This is the type of game that will remain fun to play years down the line, well after the Wii U is off the market, and the product you get on the disc is all you'll need. In that sense Nintendo is still delivering products today just as they have for decades - an almost flawless consistency that's a rare and precious thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,148 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

That's €37 and you've free delivery compared to €44 here and no delivery. So Argos are charging you €7 more than your British cousin. I know it's a pre order special but that's exactly what ye have done today. And the pre order should count until the new year because that's its official release date(2nd January)

But if you do a search on Argos.co.uk for "Toad" you'll see they have 2 entries for the game.
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1573347.htm

And just to really confuse people, they say it works on Wii and Wii Mini

Mr E wrote: »
    Horsesh*t. If anything, the levels in SM3DW were tech demos, this is the fleshed out version.

Read this.

At $40, the offering does feel a bit slim. There are well under 100 small levels, and the two main boss fights are recycled in slightly-changed forms several times. The Captain Toad stages were nice changes of pace in the otherwise action-packed 3D World, but the novelty does wear thin quicker when you’re playing through a constant stream of them (despite the attempts to shake things up from time to time). Treasure Tracker is a charming game, but might disappoint some if they drop $40 expecting something more ambitious or substantial. If you know what you’re getting into and you’re alright with spending the money, there’s plenty of fun to be had on Captain Toad’s adventure.

http://www.giantbomb.com/reviews/captain-toad-treasure-tracker-review/1900-691/

There's 70 levels to be precise. There's little challenge and the Captain Toad levels in SM3DW were meant as a cleanser, a break from the main game, a mini game. All the gameplay I've seen looks easy and boring. Lots and lots of walking.

• Advertisement

Are you having a laugh? Its not a tech demo. Do you know what a tech demo even is?

Anyway budget title or not it will not bomb to €10.

We'll see what the eshop has it at to determine Nintys value of it.

Until then €40 ish to me sounds about right.

This doesnt seem like a small game. Loads of levels, loads of game time. If you want a puzzler its looks good.

Are you having a laugh? Its not a tech demo. Do you know what a tech demo even is?

Anyway budget title or not it will not bomb to €10.

We'll see what the eshop has it at to determine Nintys value of it.

Until then €40 ish to me sounds about right.

This doesnt seem like a small game. Loads of levels, loads of game time. If you want a puzzler its looks good.

It won't be cheap on the eShop. The games never are to keep retailers happy.

It won't be cheap on the eShop. The games never are to keep retailers happy.

I never said it'd be cheap but it'll show us whether its in "budget title" territory or whether they are pricing it like a full game release.

I never said it'd be cheap but it'll show us whether its in "budget title" territory or whether they are pricing it like a full game release.

It's €40 on the eShop, I just checked. €40 is not a budget price.

It has 70 levels, each lasting 3-4 minutes. So it's a short game. There's a reason Nintendo put a slightly cheaper price tag on it.

Banjo wrote: »

eShop is 40 dollars and most games have a 1:1 conversion, so you'll probably pay between 35-40 euro for the digital version.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,148 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

There's 70 levels to be precise. There's little challenge and the Captain Toad levels in SM3DW were meant as a cleanser, a break from the main game, a mini game. All the gameplay I've seen looks easy and boring. Lots and lots of walking.

It's the Lord of the Rings game. :)

I know you're trying to make a point, sligeach, but any chance you could use spoiler tags when talking about the game content?

Jaysus, you're fierce miserable so ye are.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Jaysus, you're fierce miserable so ye are.

I think that about most of his/her posts about ninty stuff. Although he/she claims to love Nintendo.

I think I even called troll recently because there seemed to be a problem with pretty much everything the wii u did in his/her eyes. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

moving away from captain toad. playing watch dogs on the wii u at the moment its class!! no issues with it graphically.

• Advertisement

This Toad debate seems to be centred around value for money. Will you get €40 worth of play?

Firstly lets be fair most Wii U titles are only €40 if you shop around. Compare that to the Xbox One or PS4.

Is a game worth x? Depends on your perpective. Personally I feel if I get about 10 - 20 hours of play from a €40 title thats fine.

Its funny that a lot of people wouldnt think twice about pissing €40 against a wall on a Saturday night. I know I have.

A good example of a recent purchase for me was when I got the LTD edition Destiny bundle which cost me just over €100 I think it was.
    Thats the most I've ever spent on a computer game. But it was Bungie so I was willing to take the risk.
    I've put just over 80 hours of gameplay in so far with no sign of stopping any time soon. I'll play at least another 20 hours of that game and probably a lot more.
    Some would say €100 for a game is madness but for me its fine as it had the main game, multiplayer, dlc, etc..

I'll also make the point how many of us have bought games and not even played them. I bought Bayonetta at launch but its still in its shrink wrap. Xmas Bayonetta I promise! :pac:

Dont get me wrong, I'm all up for a bargain. Its great to get a game for €10, I'm looking at you my old 360 but you cant expect to get cheap games at release for a current gen system in particular first party ninty games as they generally hold their value very well. Christ look at some of the games on the old Wii. They still €30 + for a 1st party ninty one for the most part.

Advertisement