Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

What is it?

It's a White Hole

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Is the HDMI lead the best way to connect to a HD Telly? Only asking because I have 2 HD ports on my Telly, one is used for the Skybox and I have to swap the other between my blu ray player and the WiiU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Is the HDMI lead the best way to connect to a HD Telly? Only asking because I have 2 HD ports on my Telly, one is used for the Skybox and I have to swap the other between my blu ray player and the WiiU.

Yeah it is if you want to play the wii u in hd, but you can still connect it in standard definition if you want to, i would use the standard scart connection to play the wii games tho as the HDMI connection kinda blurs the old wii games, (remember to change the connection type in the settings app on the wii u menu and change it back when you want to play wii u games)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

All of the ports except one on the back of my Panasonic are broken. Turns out it's quite a common problem on thin Televisions, so I only have 2. One on the side and one on the back.

I have 4 devices with HDMI.
    This is a good price for an adaptor. I bought mine in a bit of a hurry and I paid over €20 for it at the time from a B&M - Cocco Digital 5 Port HDMI switcher

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    It's a White Hole

Only joking!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,132 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Just installing the updates for me newly purchased Wii U. Have been gaming since the mid 90s and this is the first Nintendo console I've ever owned :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I finally got a wii u today. My brother got me a 3ds game for Christmas in Argos that I already owned so I returned that for €20. So ended up with the wii u basic with mass effect 3 and Fifa 13 for €184 odd. Not a bad deal I think. (I have absolutely no interest in Fifa so if anyone wants to trade it for anything let me know!).

Anyone recommend any good eshop games? I'm thinking of getting The Cave. I've heard mixed reviews but it looks like the kind of game I'd enjoy. Also ZombiU is on sale for a tenner, worth a look?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Just installing the updates for me newly purchased Wii U. Have been gaming since the mid 90s and this is the first Nintendo console I've ever owned :D

Was only chatting over the Christmas and there's a SNES, N64 and GameCube still over in my dads. Have a Wii and 360 here and got a Wii U for Christmas. I'd say I've only managed 45 minutes to myself on it. My daughter just wants to play Luigi's ghost thing on Nintendo Land.

And it being Christmas there's been no chance of the kids going to bed early giving me a chance to put an hour or two in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

If you still have access to a GC it's well worth digging it out and playing it again.
    I know they will all run on a Wii but there's something lovely about that console.
    And popping in Metroid Prime is a delight.
    Truly that game is a Halo beater, all eyes were on the PS2 and the dreadful Killzone when they should have been on the efforts of Retro Studio instead.
    And Luigi's Mansion is a perfect delight, like a toy set that you can play with through the TV with that idiosyncratic controller.
    The PS2 is probably my favourite console of that generation, if not of all time, but the GameCube filled me with so many stupid smiles, it was ridiculous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Im in bits here laughing at this ladies and gentlemen i present to you the real super smash bros taken from reddit

i think thats the best of the lot of em but theres also this and this if you are intrested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

^That video is truly bizarre and hilarious! :D Those links need to be put in the "Cool and funny Nintendo links" thread for easy reference. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

Cat mario and cat peach show give u hits and tips on the wiiu and 3ds games

And I ve rescue toadette

wampyrus77 wrote: »
    Cat mario and cat peach show give u hits and tips on the wiiu and 3ds games

And I ve rescue toadette

Thanks for that!
    I thought it was just a cartoonie show. I didn't realise there was any relevance to the games.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

Same here. I just assumed it was animated. I watched the first episode on YouTube earlier. It's all a bit mental. Some useful tips in it though. I never knew that if you crossed a checkpoint in 3D World with another player on your head you both got a power-up.

There's free wallpaper of cat mario and cat peach from theme shop until 15/1/2015

episode 2 captain toad
    is the opposite where toadette rescues her boyfriend from big bird

I used to like Big Bird.
    But I preferred Mr Snuffleupagus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

I used to like Big Bird.
    But I preferred Mr Snuffleupagus.

I was always an Oscar man. Probably primed me for my cynisism in later life :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Grover4Life

Cat Mario Show is awful. Its like "Amazing Discoveries" for Ninty games. The "spot pixel Luigi" game is ridiculous. My kids like it for some reason though.

They did a shortcuts feature on Mariokart though which was handy. If you see 2 versions of the same episode rated 3s and 7s it usually means there's some Smash Bros content

• Registered Users Posts: 29,147 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

It wasn't until after a couple episodes of the show that I started to see pixel Luigi in the game.

Got Captain Toad yesterday in Derry. Game was charging £45, argos £35 and Smyths £30.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭James74

Does Smyth's in Derry have much WiiU stuff in?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,710 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Remember the Nintendo Network Premium Digital Promotion ends tomorrow. So get those last purchases in if need be.

https://p.nintendo.net/index.html

Shovel Knight is also reduced this Thursday on eShop for a week from the usual €15 to €10. The offer came a week too late for me.

I honestly think I've had Another World on every platform that it's possible to have it on. Yet, I bought it again for €3.99.. :o

I think I'll enjoy playing it again on the Gamepad whilst lying along the couch with something on the TV.. Very handy having the games on the the console without having to move/eject/insert/sit down again :D.
    But I still want the physical copy where possible.

Does anybody here rate the games in the eshop?
    I just noticed Child of Light only has 460 ratings, but that may be due to it being on other consoles.

Banjo wrote: »
    Grover4Life

Banjo, Banjo, Banjo....

Everyone knows that you can love Grover but Super Grover is where the cool cats are at....

super-grover-o.gif

Banjo, Banjo, Banjo....

Everyone knows that you can love Grover but Super Grover is where the cool cats are at....

Theres nothing cool about destroying his secret identity! You've ruined his life, and for what? A digital slap on the back? Some crucial e-wang millimeters? Those of us who knew him, no, loved him would never put our own petty, selfish, egotistical needs ahead of his. Well bravo Ciderman.

Besides, he showed more bravery in Grover In His Jammies, stripped of his powers and all alone in the dark.

Wait, weren't we talking about something important? Ninternational... Nintended... Ninconsentual... No its gone

So, Telly. I never understood him. You?

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭bkrangle

This may not belong here......but

I've an unused club nintendo pin for FIFA 14 for 3DS

If anyone wants if PM me

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Was playing the demo of Pikmin 3 yesterday and I didn't notice the oven had gone on fire until the smoke alarm went off, the oven is 20 feet away from me.

Banjo wrote: »
    So, Telly. I never understood him. You?

While Grover was never cool he was always cooler than poor Telly, though I liked him back in the day.
    Bearing in mind my day was the 1970's!
    I also liked the restaurant sketches with Grover trying to sort out the guy who makes his menu choices in sound effects.
    Good times.

Got my girls the 6 DVD retro 70s set a few years ago. Always good for a watch. The first episode, way back when old Mr Hooper was a streetwise trash talkin punk called Hoop, bert lived alone because ernie was still in-country (the homecoming scene when he rolls of the plane and has no legs, you gasp and then remember he didn't have any when he left - classic Nam-era Ernie! Gets me every time), big bird only had 3 feathers in his head (that was actually true, he grew the Fro later in tribute following Gordon's leukemia scare. OK I made that up).

Ok, confession . I haven't turned my WiiU on all Christmas due to obligations and drinking a lot, I have nothing relevant to add to this thread and have been stalling by inventing a lot of Sesame Street related bull****. The same thing happens to me in Interviews when I can't think of examples of initiatives I've spearheaded.

I'll order Smash Bros in the morning and fix this, I swear. Oh and the 70s DVD set does exist, its great. Its got an exclusive version of the free-jazz 123 45 678 910 11! 12! Song that goes on for about 7 minutes and covers all the numbers, Batman educating the **** out of Joker, Snuff's first day, rubber Duckie, kermit getting beaten up by a W, you name it.

• Advertisement

I got 58 points from the eShop for that.. :D

Advertisement