Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Super Mario Galaxy 2: Wiimote and nunchuk only, wiimote only for player 2
    Donkey Kong Country Returns Wii: Wiimote and nunchuk only
    Metroid Prime Trilogy Wii: Wiimote and nunchuk only

Was the other game kirby? i forget.
    Other games were kirby and punch out that's a shame with the three you mentioned I'll buy metroid anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Super Mario Galaxy 2: Wiimote and nunchuk only, wiimote only for player 2
    Donkey Kong Country Returns Wii: Wiimote and nunchuk only
    Metroid Prime Trilogy Wii: Wiimote and nunchuk only

Was the other game kirby? i forget.

kirby adventure wii, wiimote sideways only up to 4 players

Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 wii, Wiimote and nunchuk only up to 2 players

Metroid Prime Trilogy Wii: Wiimote and nunchuk only 1 player for 1 and 3 but metroid prime 2 has multiplayer option Up to four players

Donkey Kong Country Returns Wii: Wiimote and nunchuk only up to 2 players , other thing im glad ive kept all these game at lease, thank goodness i play on wiiu with the wii menu, thank goodness wii u is backwards compatible to play wii games discs,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

What's cool is that Metroid Trilogy and Kirbys Adventure are both fairly expensive, I have them both but bought the first at launch and the second I got lucky, typically they are both 60+ each.
    Kinda great others will get to play them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Sucks that they built n gamepad /pro controller compatibility then planned 5 releases that can't use it. Tiny bit of an oversight

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

You would have to modify the game code to use the touchpad controls and retool the wiimote functions onto the touchscreen, which will work for pointing but not for twisting actions.
    So, in order to be them out there as quickly as possible and without too much messing about they have released them as is.

It's also superb that WiiU owners are now going to have another of the all time greatest games on the system with Galaxy 2, so damn good.

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    You would have to modify the game code to use the touchpad controls and retool the wiimote functions onto the touchscreen, which will work for pointing but not for twisting actions.
    So, in order to be them out there as quickly as possible and without too much messing about they have released them as is.

It's also superb that WiiU owners are now going to have another of the all time greatest games on the system with Galaxy 2, so damn good.

I understand the limitations, not the rationale. We have to take their word for it that the pro controller thing works because there's no way to prove it either way.

Also I have galaxy 2 but not galaxy so I'm a little disappointed ;-)

We can probably hope that the first Galaxy title will appear, as mentioned elsewhere the need for an upscaled Mario Sunshine is beyond important, it's essential.
    I'd say it's an unfamiliar game for many and this would be a great opportunity for those people to finally play this great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Fawk Nin

The only downside to this is the lack os a possible Prime Trilogy HD now :(
    It does point to Retro probaly working on Metroid though, if they want people to expereince the original Prime trilogy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I wouldn't be surprised if sunshine was the HD remake they said they were working on. Lot of stuff to tweak in that game.

There have been too many awesome announcements about the Nintendo family recently. A crushing disappointment is due. Ergo, I wager that the HD Remake they're talking about will be Game & Watch HD.

• Advertisement

cloud493 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if sunshine was the HD remake they said they were working on. Lot of stuff to tweak in that game.

But they did say no new Mario games this year, would a HD remake count?
    It would be a fantastic thing, only played a spot of it recently and found it a delight once again, with the hub area of Delfino Plaza standing in for Peaches Castle from SM64. They kind of got rid of that concept for the Galaxy titles, with a more linear level selection. I remember Delfino being maligned at the time but, in retrospect, it works well.
    Sadly my main TV has the WiiU attached, while the GC is in the gamesroom in the cold cold upstairs, along with the Wii. So hard to motivate one to go up there and play GC games whilst trying not to turn blue!

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

But they did say no new Mario games this year, would a HD remake count?
    It would be a fantastic thing, only played a spot of it recently and found it a delight once again, with the hub area of Delfino Plaza standing in for Peaches Castle from SM64. They kind of got rid of that concept for the Galaxy titles, with a more linear level selection. I remember Delfino being maligned at the time but, in retrospect, it works well.

Super Mario Sunshine was a good game but it could have been great. The controls were really good and tight, and for pure platforming it is probably the strongest of the 3d games - especially the levels when FLUDD is taken away.

But there were problems with it, some of which were probably cause it was rushed (much like Wind Waker and that Triforce hunt crap). The blue coins were boring, repetitive things to collect. Far too many of them and a complete fluke to find some of them, especially when you could only find some on particular Shines in a level. I also read people talk about how linear 3d World and the Galaxy games were and how they wish for a more open Mario game like 64 and Sunshine but if you look at it Sunshine is nowhere near as open as Mario 64. In Sunshine you had to do each Shine in a particular order in the level, in Mario 64 when you went into a level you could collect almost any Star. In Mario 64, to face Bowser, you had to collect any 70 of the 119 stars available, you could even get through the game without ever facing off against Big Bob-omb. In Sunshine, the number didn't matter, all that mattered was you collected the right Shines.

It's still a game I enjoy, it just has some niggles. I would really like to see a re-release, maybe they could even fix some of the problems :)

Another game I would love to see re-released is Super Mario 64 DS, just with proper analog controls. An extra 30 stars in possibly my favourite game with be nice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

cloud493 wrote: »

Some old articles around the time Super Mario 3D World was launched (They all come from the same interview).
    http://metro.co.uk/2013/10/25/nintendo-considering-super-mario-sunshine-and-galaxy-hd-remakes-4160816/
    http://venturebeat.com/2013/10/24/mario-hd-remakes/
    http://www.gamesradar.com/hd-miyamoto-tells-us-if-hd-mario-remakes-are-possible/

It may explain why Super Mario Galaxy 2 was released ahead of Super Mario Galaxy. (Or at least, help fuel the wishful thinking rumours :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Allyall wrote: »
    Some old articles around the time Super Mario 3D World was launched (They all come from the same interview).
    http://metro.co.uk/2013/10/25/nintendo-considering-super-mario-sunshine-and-galaxy-hd-remakes-4160816/
    http://venturebeat.com/2013/10/24/mario-hd-remakes/
    http://www.gamesradar.com/hd-miyamoto-tells-us-if-hd-mario-remakes-are-possible/

It may explain why Super Mario Galaxy 2 was released ahead of Super Mario Galaxy. (Or at least, help fuel the wishful thinking rumours :) )

Yeah, the only reason I can see why they released SMG2 again and not SMG1 is because they are doing a HD remake, which, I personnally think its too soon. Maybe on the next system it would be better. If anything, Sunsine should get the HD remake and massive tweeks it needs. Loved that game and I would buy it again. And it would technically not be a new Mario, as they have said 'no new Mario until the next home system'. So either a 3ds remake or WiiU remake will come out before the end of the WiiU life cycle.

Metroid Prime Trilogy, so glad I can get this in two weeks for €9.99. Never played them and was looking for the first one to start in a few weeks. When I found this out, up to CEX I went and traded in Echoes and Corruption :)

Which Kirby games are coming and will they be €9.99 on their launch week or is that only for the first 3 games?

I bet, knowing Nintendo, they will support the release of Wii games for a couple months then they will stop releasing them each week, like all the VC stuff. Easy money for them with little work. They should do this with GameCube games. Boot into the Wii system, prob a bit more work but it's pretty clear it can be done.

No way do I want to see a Super Mario 64 DS remake, apart from the fudged controls the extra characters they shoehorned in just polluted the game, it was fine as it was on the N64.
    And in order to preserve the original without recourse to redoing ever texture and model, a fully 3D version on the 3DS would be perfect, less the feck about with it the better.

Waverace could do with an update though, as could 1080, so many great games, could keep the WiiU/3DS owner very very busy indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Flying through Mario 3D world. Think I'm on the last world....and have all flags, stars and stamps up til this point! Loving it, a total 10/10 classic.

Question for you guys, I am definitely gonna be picking up SMG2 and the Metroid Trilogy(all new to me, another shamed never played metroid except for a brief turn on the DS), as well as the Mario Kart DLC, so I'm gonna be using my external HDD.

How does that work? When I plug it in, and it I assume syncs up, do I then get the choice to download a game to that or to the internal HDD if there is room on both? Or does it default to the HDD until it is full?

I was thinking I would like the internal HDD to have some free space for updates etc, and only have downloaded games on the external HDD so I only have to plug it in when wanting to play those?

No way do I want to see a Super Mario 64 DS remake, apart from the fudged controls the extra characters they shoehorned in just polluted the game, it was fine as it was on the N64.

I never played the DS version so I don't know what the extra characters did, the lack of analog controls put me off. I just know it had an extra 30 stars and I always wanted to play them!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

How does that work? When I plug it in, and it I assume syncs up, do I then get the choice to download a game to that or to the internal HDD if there is room on both? Or does it default to the HDD until it is full?

I was thinking I would like the internal HDD to have some free space for updates etc, and only have downloaded games on the external HDD so I only have to plug it in when wanting to play those?

When you plug in the HDD it'll format it. And I'm talking entirely, no partitions or anything. It'll default to the HDD for everything while it's attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,634 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Do we know when the rest of the MK8 dlc will be available?

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Do we know when the rest of the MK8 dlc will be available?

Some time in May.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,014 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Do the system updates always take forever?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Do the system updates always take forever?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,014 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Keeps failing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

Lads, my son has a wii u since Christmas 12 months. The B button on the game pad seems faulty. It's either stuck or not responding. Is there anyway to remap the buttons or what other options do I have for repairs? Thanks for any help.

Lads, my son has a wii u since Christmas 12 months. The B button on the game pad seems faulty. It's either stuck or not responding. Is there anyway to remap the buttons or what other options do I have for repairs? Thanks for any help.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0Iky9PRv1A&sns=em

Maybe this could help? If you handy might be worth taking a look yourself or maybe try one of the Chinese phone shops. Failing that you can send it back to the big N themselves for repair, who knows, since it's just out of warranty they might do it free or half price or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Irish/EU consumer law states upto 6 years fair use of a product. Speak to consumer advice first as most b&m stores will try and shirk this. sometimes the likes of Amazon will be helpful anyways.

sweetie wrote: »
    Irish/EU consumer law states upto 6 years fair use of a product. Speak to consumer advice first as most b&m stores will try and shirk this. sometimes the likes of Amazon will be helpful anyways.

So everything should have 6 years warranty once it's used properly?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

iamtony wrote: »

It's not as black and white as that. A 500e TV should last 6 years at least. A 10e toaster from Tesco, probably not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

iamtony wrote:

true but someone posted recently a list of things they had replaced after 4 or 5 years and one was a toaster or kettle or the like. Basically, get advice first, call the consumer advice line and mention the small claims court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

super smash bros wiiu quick guide support controller guide booklet

its very decent that super smash bros wiiu has controller guide booklet for all the controllers,, most of the wii u games controllers guide and manuals are on the cloud

Advertisement