Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

well first update was huge about 2 hrs, then spring update, and summer update in the 1st year the wii u came out

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I never got around to playing Mass Effect 3 on the 360 so just started it on the WiiU, the comic book run through of the previous two games was pretty cool.
    Looking forward to playing through it, although with my track record the chances of completion are slim.
    I wonder, with improved sales of WiiU units over the past year, will EA get back into WiiU development, they eternity showed an interest in superior ports with the few they did release, NfS Most Wanted for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I never got around to playing Mass Effect 3 on the 360 so just started it on the WiiU, the comic book run through of the previous two games was pretty cool.
    Looking forward to playing through it, although with my track record the chances of completion are slim.
    I wonder, with improved sales of WiiU units over the past year, will EA get back into WiiU development, they eternity showed an interest in superior ports with the few they did release, NfS Most Wanted for example.

I doubt it. Have sales improved? or was it the small burst of sales it got over the 'holidays'?

So many God damn great games for the wiiu now, it's beyond me at this stage why the system is not walking out the shops, such a shame.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,475 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

People still just don't know it even exists and the ones that do think it's a Wii ad on.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    People still just don't know it even exists and the ones that do think it's a Wii ad on.

:(
    I now figure people are idiots or to lazy to read, or both

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

:(
    I now figure people are idiots or to lazy to read, or both

Both.
    They ask deep questions like
    "Where are the Fifa's at?"
    and
    "Instructions hurt brain"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

So glad they learned their lesson re: system nomenclature. I mean, who can't tell what systems are from which generation with names like "New 3DS" and "2DS" and "3DS XL" and "DSi" and "DS lite". I am dying for the "New 2DS" to come along really **** with parents' heads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

I really do adore my Wii U. Haven't put so many hours into games in a long time.

Same for me. Started skyward sword last week after finishing TP. Love the fact that it's backwards compatible with all Wii games. Ps4 and xbo can't say that, ever (except for that ps now which sounds like a rip). So many games. And with all the Wii games (hopefully) coming digitally at a cheap price, fingers crossed, the WiiU has so much going for it.

Wonder if they will sell all Wii games in their first week at €10. Wishful thinking but the money would roll in for them at that price, seeing as you can get new sealed first party games for under €20 nowadays.

Still hopeing GameCube games come, sell them for between €10 and €15 each. I really don't see why not when they can emulate the Wii on the WiiU. Bit of work I'm sure but still.

I really don't think a PSN type accounts won't come till the next Ninty system which is a bit of a shame, it's holding them back in a way.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

I really don't think a PSN type accounts won't come till the next Ninty system which is a bit of a shame, it's holding them back in a way.

They actually do have those type of accounts, they have the ability to do cross buy (see Mario vs Donkey Kong, cross platform discounts), the customer services have the ability to move accounts and all purchases between consoles. The stupid thing is the accounts are locked to systems.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Anybody play steamword dig on the eshop? Is it any good

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Played it on the ps vita it's ok, although that's just my opinion lots of others love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Played the 3DS version, i really enjoyed it (it was a steal before Xmas), I found it good fun but not exceedingly challenging

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

iamtony wrote: »
    Played it on the ps vita it's ok, although that's just my opinion lots of others love it.

I played steamworld dig on the Vita too. Love PS+ :D

Its a good game. I found it quite addictive. Very much a sit down think youre gonna play 5 minutes and before you know it you've been playing over an hour type of game.

I dont know what it goes for as I got it free but I'd pay 10/15 euro for it. I would have gotten more than my monies worth at that price point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

This is definitely it. Any time I mention it to someone who I would not already describe as a "gamer", I get the same confused looks. "What's a Wii U?" or "I don't get it, how is it different to the Wii?". I've had a couple of people come around who are only aware of it because we played it together.

With any of them, if I told them I just got a PS4 there would be no confusion, which is pretty damning to the company whose marketing to non-gamers was so successful last time that they sold over 100 million units.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,634 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Drive me nuts that. I rarely say bad things about good ol Nintendo, but it's a crappy name.

Meanwhile, the Wii games that are coming out on Wiiu Eshop (good luck explaining that, by the way)...do we know will it be one or two a week or what?

This is one of the craftiest/cleverest things they've done in a while. No way I'll be able to resist, even if I have loads of them already.

It hasn't been in doubt for me for quite a while, but WiiU is fast becoming one of my favourite consoles ever. There's just so much to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Same for me. Started skyward sword last week after finishing TP. Love the fact that it's backwards compatible with all Wii games. Ps4 and xbo can't say that, ever (except for that ps now which sounds like a rip). So many games. And with all the Wii games (hopefully) coming digitally at a cheap price, fingers crossed, the WiiU has so much going for it.

Wonder if they will sell all Wii games in their first week at €10. Wishful thinking but the money would roll in for them at that price, seeing as you can get new sealed first party games for under €20 nowadays.

Still hopeing GameCube games come, sell them for between €10 and €15 each. I really don't see why not when they can emulate the Wii on the WiiU. Bit of work I'm sure but still.

I would love for that to happen, you would not believe how much most Wii RPGs still go for new, you looking at between €50-€70 for the majority but others go for close to €100 and over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Definitely what I've noticed too with my friends. I can see the whole Wii/Wii U thing being a case study in marketing courses in years to come!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

If they had to keep "Wii" as part of the name, why not "Wii 2"?

"Wii U" does sound like an add-on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

Only started it last week myself, my gaming windows are pretty small, half hour to an hour, so I was wishing the comic book part would hurry up. Didn't know what way to play the game, action, role playing etc, but I went for role playing in the end even though I usually avoid any type of role playing games due to my sporadic gaming windows, I've no idea what I've done or what I have to do if I eventually get back to a RPG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

My brother, who is fairly tech savvy and does a lot of pc gaming, saw my wiiu gamepad and asked if it was a portable screen add on for a wii.

Other people that have been over have thought the same, that it's an add on for the wii.

Just goes to show how poor nintendo's marketing is.

I have to say, it's not really as simple as the name.
    Xbox and Playstation never had to worry about stupid people not being capable of knowing when a console was a new device.
    The Wii U looks different from the Wii, the controller is very different, I just don't think that the people who owned a Wii are in a hurry to replace it in any way, they played a bit of Wiifit, got bored and moved on.
    Not to denigrate the console in any way, I had a lot of fun with my Wii and continue to do so with the WiiU, if people can't see how good it is pity about them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,466 ✭✭✭Nollog

Pretty sure both the DS and Wii names are dead after this generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

They had the same problem with the DS -> 3DS name. Some people just thought it was an updated DS that added 3d functionality and that they both played the same games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

To be fair, not many of Nintendo's consoles had names that sound particularly marketable. I'd say Gameboy was easily the best named machine they've brought out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,634 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

If they had to keep "Wii" as part of the name, why not "Wii 2"?

"Wii U" does sound like an add-on.

It does in a world with Wii Play, Wii Fit, Wii Music, Wii Sports etc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    It does in a world with Wii Play, Wii Fit, Wii Music, Wii Sports etc

And Wii Udraw Studio with Wii Udraw Tablet

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

1080p 60fps direct feed of Kirby And the Rainbow Curse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

C14N wrote: »
    This is definitely it. Any time I mention it to someone who I would not already describe as a "gamer", I get the same confused looks. "What's a Wii U?" or "I don't get it, how is it different to the Wii?". I've had a couple of people come around who are only aware of it because we played it together.

With any of them, if I told them I just got a PS4 there would be no confusion, which is pretty damning to the company whose marketing to non-gamers was so successful last time that they sold over 100 million units.

The issiue is that their marketing team thought it could repeat the exact same approach it took to the wii marketing - and that was never going to work because those kind of people don't give a damn about iterative updates to hardware. They have a Wii, they don't need a Wii U or a Wii 2 or whatever.

Call it something else, though, and then it's a whole different ball game. Nintendo's marketing has been abysmal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

I initially thought it was an add on til I read up. XB1 owner and have been gaming since Intellivision and it's honestly the first time I wasn't sure exactly what it was. Had a couple of mates over this week playing it (only got it last week) and they'd no idea, both are getting one now. I'm loving the console, Nintendo make the best games imo, but it definitely wasn't clear that it was a new console.

Advertisement