Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Xenji wrote: »
    1080p 60fps direct feed of Kirby And the Rainbow Curse.

Anyone else here think if they sped it up and added some draw features it would be a good Sonic game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

The name and marketing are a shambles. Super Nintendo II or anything would have been better. Everyone I know thinks it is a Wii add on, even hardcore xbox or ps3 gamers.

On a separate note, I have pumped so many hours into Super Mario World 3D! I have ALL the stars and flags and stamps up to opening the final world. foooook me the champions run and 30 box challenge are tough! Did the final toad test after many a retry. Has anyone done the other 2? Gonna have another stab at them later, what a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,013 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I'm with eircom and I keep getting network errors on my Wii U. Are there any ports that need to be opened?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,466 ✭✭✭Nollog

I'm with eircom and I keep getting network errors on my Wii U. Are there any ports that need to be opened?

try turning off the firewall in the modem, used to cause problems, probably still does.

It's already off to sort the PS3 and 360.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

It's already off to sort the PS3 and 360.

Are you using wifi? Could you be to far from the router? Sometimes if you are just far enough from it the signal will be too weak for online play

On Wi-fi and the router is only about eight feet away.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Does anyone have the link with the list of wii games that are coming out, including the enhanced compatability games?
    I thought I saw it here, and now I can't find it.

EDIT.
    Is it only for the hard copy of the games, or the digital version too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Still got loads of titles to pick up, but I reckon Wind Walker HD is my next purchase.

How much did you guys find it for? Cheapest I seem to see is around €50 on Amazon. Argos don't have it, nor smyths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Pre owned in symths for 45. Won't show up on the website doe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

semi-regularly drops to £30 on Amazon (which is between 35-40 euro depending on what the exchange rate is doing. Lots of Euroturmoil at the moment, so expect the worst). It was there last week. If you have something else to play it's worth holding out.
    The best price it ever went for was Free with Mariokart 8 + about 540 premium points -basically, Ninty paid me €5 to take a digital copy of WindWaker off their hands :)

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭James74

Any opinions on the current Donkey Kong Country Returns offer for €9.99? Haven't played a DK game since the SNES days, but I seem to remember enjoying them back then... I think.

Possibly might be too slow and decrepit for them now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭bkrangle

James74 wrote: »
    Any opinions on the current Donkey Kong Country Returns offer for €9.99? Haven't played a DK game since the SNES days, but I seem to remember enjoying them back then... I think.

Possibly might be too slow and decrepit for them now :)

It's a good game and considerably more difficult than other recent 2D platformers (new mario bros, rayman etc.).....this could be a good or bad thing depending on what you're looking for!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

bkrangle wrote: »
    It's a good game and considerably more difficult than other recent 2D platformers (new mario bros, rayman etc.).....this could be a good or bad thing depending on what you're looking for!

Great game but I hated the controls.

Could you play dkcr with the classic controller?
    I remember liking it much more on the 3ds with the button controls instead.

Played dkctf last year, that game is damn hard, don't want to go back to it lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

I see on IGN that Nintendo have announced the pricing for Kirby, basically the same price point as Captain Toad at $40 so hopefully can pick it up for around €35 like Captain Toad.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

Now that I am pretty much through my PS3 pile of shame I have decided that 2015 will be the year I finally get my hands on a Wii U.What do people reckon are the top five "essential" games for Wii U?

Considering I played and loved WW on Game Cube, is the Wii U version good enough to buy a second time?

Are New Mario Bros U and Super Mario 3D World must haves or would buying both be overkill?

Is Mario Kart 8 as good as they say? Are there any other sleeper games that the Wii U owner must have?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

In my opinion: Leave Windwaker for now if you've already played it. Buying both Mario games immediately would be overkill; 3D World is the better of the two. Mario Kart 8 is absolutely as good as they say. If you buy only one game, buy Bayonetta 2.

To be honest, nearly all the exclusives are fairly essential if you want to get the most out of the console, particularly the first-party games. Just pick any five you like the look of - it's very hard to go wrong with Nintendo!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Now that I am pretty much through my PS3 pile of shame I have decided that 2015 will be the year I finally get my hands on a Wii U.What do people reckon are the top five "essential" games for Wii U?

Considering I played and loved WW on Game Cube, is the Wii U version good enough to buy a second time?

Are New Mario Bros U and Super Mario 3D World must haves or would buying both be overkill?

Is Mario Kart 8 as good as they say? Are there any other sleeper games that the Wii U owner must have?

Off the top of my head:

Super Mario 3D World
    Bayonetta 2
    Pikmin 3
    Mario Kart 8
    Super Smash Bros

If you don't play multiplayer replace the last 2 possibly with

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
    Wind Waker.

I'd rank Wind Waker higher but you might rather something you hadn't already played.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Deano7788 wrote: »
    Off the top of my head:

Super Mario 3D World
    Bayonetta 2
    Pikmin 3
    Mario Kart 8
    Super Smash Bros

If you don't play multiplayer replace the last 2 possibly with

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
    Wind Waker.

I'd rank Wind Waker higher but you might rather something you hadn't already played.

Also throw in Captain Toad and Shovel Knight on E shop.

good non first party stuff that goes cheap now;

Deus EX,
    Rayman legends,
    Mass Effect 3,
    Darksiders 2,
    Batman Arkham City / Arkham origins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

I second 3D World, MK8 and Tropical Freeze. Don't forget The Wonderful 101 and the best version of Rayman Legends if you have a co-op partner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Super Mario 3D World for €49.99 in Argos seems to be the best I can find.

Does anybody else know anywhere cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

tailgunner wrote: »
    In my opinion: Leave Windwaker for now if you've already played it. Buying both Mario games immediately would be overkill; 3D World is the better of the two. Mario Kart 8 is absolutely as good as they say. If you buy only one game, buy Bayonetta 2.

To be honest, nearly all the exclusives are fairly essential if you want to get the most out of the console, particularly the first-party games. Just pick any five you like the look of - it's very hard to go wrong with Nintendo!

Solid advice on Mario and WW thanks very much. Absolutely hated Bayonetta on PS3 so won't be going back there, no matter what the reviews or anyone else says, the entire thing was just nonsense. I'm also not a fan of SSB but that's just my own taste.

MK 8 and 3D world are top of the list for now, Captain Toad and Pikman 3 close behind. Like a few people have said, its hard to go wrong with nintendo!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,634 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

MK8 & Pikmin above everything else for me.

Haven't played Bayonetta, mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,466 ✭✭✭Nollog

th--
    oh, nevermind.
    Deano7788 wrote: »
    Off the top of my head:
    Super Mario 3D World
    Bayonetta 2
    Pikmin 3
    Mario Kart 8
    Super Smash Bros
    If I have to tack on more to the list, I'd say:
    ZombiU
    Trine
    Monster Hunter

As for getting NSMBU/LU and 3dWorld, it's not over-kill, they're both great.
    If you like 2D mario that is.
    They're not adventure games, they're 2d/2ish3ishd platformers.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,634 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Was someone saying they wanted Tekken Tag the other day?

Seems to be €9.99 on the eshop at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Not overkill at all. I just got my own Wii U at Christmas. I replayed through New Super Mario Bros. U, after having originally played through the main game Christmas 2012, this time getting all Star Coins, secret exits, etc. It's a fantastic game. It came with New Super Luigi U, which I thought was just going to be a slightly different game, but mostly the same. But I gave it go, and I loved the experience. I really enjoyed getting 5 stars on my save file on that one. The 100 second time limit is a great gimmick.

I'm also about to start replaying through Super Mario 3D World, to get 100%, after originally beating the main game Christmas 2013. Can't get enough Mario.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

MK 8 and 3D world are top of the list for now, Captain Toad and Pikman 3 close behind. Like a few people have said, its hard to go wrong with nintendo!

Pikmin 3 should certainly be ahead of Captain Toad in your order.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Picked up Super Mario 3d World tonight. Christ, it's top class.

The level where you use Toad is very, very good.

Is Super Smash bros local play only or can you play online?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,146 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Picked up Super Mario 3d World tonight. Christ, it's top class.

The level where you use Toad is very, very good.

Is Super Smash bros local play only or can you play online?

You mean the Captain Toad levels? Yeah I enjoyed them. In case you didn't already know, he got his own game called Captain Toad Treasure Tracker that came out a few weeks ago.

And Smash can be played online

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Regarding finding Super Mario 3d World bargains, go for it but the game really is worth normal game money.
    And it's a game that, like it's predecessors, will hold its value for some years to come.

No need to be concerned about overkill in owning it and NSMBU, they are entirely different games to play.
    I would suggest hunting down the combined version with LuigiU as well, CEX have it.

https://ie.webuy.com/product.php?sku=045496332174#.VMNG0CNFDqA

Advertisement