Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Still got loads of titles to pick up, but I reckon Wind Walker HD is my next purchase.

How much did you guys find it for? Cheapest I seem to see is around €50 on Amazon. Argos don't have it, nor smyths.

It's gone down to £30 on Amazon. It's not in stock at the moment but once they get it they will honor that price as long as you order it at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    I initially thought it was an add on til I read up. XB1 owner and have been gaming since Intellivision and it's honestly the first time I wasn't sure exactly what it was. Had a couple of mates over this week playing it (only got it last week) and they'd no idea, both are getting one now. I'm loving the console, Nintendo make the best games imo, but it definitely wasn't clear that it was a new console.

I was the same way. I remember when it was announced at E3 initially and I just found it so confusing that I said I'd probably just forget about Nintendo this generation. I'm glad I eventually came around though
    On a separate note, I have pumped so many hours into Super Mario World 3D! I have ALL the stars and flags and stamps up to opening the final world. foooook me the champions run and 30 box challenge are tough! Did the final toad test after many a retry. Has anyone done the other 2? Gonna have another stab at them later, what a game.

The normal 3-star level is by far the hardest of the three of them. I think it's a 400 second level and that's not leaving a ton of time to spare. On top of that there are absolutely no checkpoints along the way. I'd recommend going in with Peach and bringing a spare catsuit. The 30-star one is pretty tough too though, especially if you go 1P.

I blazed through the whole game in about a week during the Christmas holidays with my younger brother and cousin. It was a real blast. We got the full 100% score in the end, although that last level was a nightmare, we must have been about 3 hours just getting to the end the first time so it was no easy task for me to cajole them into redoing it so we could get it with all characters :D
    Now that I am pretty much through my PS3 pile of shame I have decided that 2015 will be the year I finally get my hands on a Wii U.What do people reckon are the top five "essential" games for Wii U?

Considering I played and loved WW on Game Cube, is the Wii U version good enough to buy a second time?

Are New Mario Bros U and Super Mario 3D World must haves or would buying both be overkill?

Is Mario Kart 8 as good as they say? Are there any other sleeper games that the Wii U owner must have?

As someone who also played WW on Gamecube I'd still recommend the Wii U one which I finished recently. It's still a very good game and it holds up, even though playing it made me realise that it's not as magical to me now as it was when I was 13 :(

Mario 3D World and NSMBU are very different games with one being 3D and one being 2D and all. The only thing I'd say is that if you want to do both, do the 2D one first. In my case, after finishing 3D World completely, we decided to fire up NSMBU and the step down in production quality made it hard to play. It just feels like so much less heart went into it, it's a much more bare-bones game in every way.

Mario Kart 8 is a very good multiplayer game and I've had plenty of laughs with it in the month that I've had it. Still haven't given single player a go though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

It's gone down to £30 on Amazon. It's not in stock at the moment but once they get it they will honor that price as long as you order it at that price.

If you order do you pay immediately or when the item is back in stock?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

If amazon is the seller, they may not get it back in stock.
    I bought ordered two games before Christmas, one sold out as I was purchasing,
    and the other while it was in my basket (I ran out of cash on card). When I fixed the cashflow 2 days later, it was sold out.
    I've been waiting for both since. Neither have come back in stock in amazon-store and both have gone up in price.
    NSMBU is still pretty low, so I may take the hit on that one. But One Piece Unlimited World Red, has shot up to £65GBP. It was down at £18 when I ordered it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,146 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I ordered Tropical Freeze from them in September and got it in December.

• Advertisement

If you order do you pay immediately or when the item is back in stock?

When it's posted out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Did I miss this? Seeing it for £60 at the mo:(

C14N wrote: »
    The normal 3-star level is by far the hardest of the three of them. I think it's a 400 second level and that's not leaving a ton of time to spare. On top of that there are absolutely no checkpoints along the way. I'd recommend going in with Peach and bringing a spare catsuit. The 30-star one is pretty tough too though, especially if you go 1P.

I blazed through the whole game in about a week during the Christmas holidays with my younger brother and cousin. It was a real blast. We got the full 100% score in the end, although that last level was a nightmare, we must have been about 3 hours just getting to the end the first time so it was no easy task for me to cajole them into redoing it so we could get it with all characters :D

Did the 30 box one now too, tough as nails! Figured out you need Peach and a Tanooki suit for Champions Road. Is 3-1 the easiest quickest level to pick that up? I got as far as the section where you are in the water bubbles going through the spikes and I fell out of the bloody water as didn't realise you could fall towards the screen!!:mad:

Did I miss this? Seeing it for £60 at the mo:(

Its £40 now http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B00B8QDNNG/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Cheers, will hold out for it to hit 30 again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

It's £30 in Tesco Direct, you need to use Parcel Motel (Or have somebody in the UK), but there's a welcome code discount which should work out the same.

- I just realised it's sold out, but going to leave this here in case it comes back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Have a question for ya's, what are the chances of Nintendo making a peripheral for the WiiU so you can play you 3ds games on the big screen or on the gamepad, kinda like the gameboy player?

Was just watching some gameplay of MM on my tv and it looks good on the big screen.

It might not be a big seller but my God I'd by it! the WiiU is basically a 3ds so I don't see why it wouldn't work. Could hook it up through one of the USB ports or would the ports be too slow to read? I'm sure they worked on that idea already but would they release it? What ya think?

I don't mean like vita tv, it would just be a card reader for cart games. Maybe even attatched to the gamepad even. Omg even just a new gamepad with a 3ds slot. Want!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Isn't there a big socket on the bottom of the WiiU gamepad that looks like it's for more than just the charging cradle? Could be they've planned ahead....
    Actually, there was also what looked like a hole under the lip that looks suitable for an aerial extension for extending the range....maybe....?

Started Pikmin last night. Didn't get very far, just started Day 3, but it's adorable and nerve racking. Why didn't they warn me Pikmin can't swim? WHY???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Yeah, it also has what looks like a connection for a camera tripod.

Started Pikimin myself over the weekend, it's great. I remember playing the first one downstairs in HMV on Grafton Street years ago. During the summer I used to work only a few doors up and treated the place like an arcade.

Their old basement games section was great back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭James74

Started into Skyward Sword again. I never did much with it on the Wii because the blurry Vaseline-o-vision graphics used to really annoy me back when I first played it. But for some reason I really don't mind it as much through the WiiU. Where before it was just a blurry mess, I'm now seeing it as a nice cell-shady artisticy filtery effect. So is the WiiU doing anything to the Wii graphics to pretty them up? My understanding is that the Wii mode is just a emulator so it should look exactly the same.

Of course it could be that I'm just completely wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,146 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Banjo wrote: »
    Started Pikmin last night. Didn't get very far, just started Day 3, but it's adorable and nerve racking. Why didn't they warn me Pikmin can't swim? WHY???

Their screams. Their souls leaving their bodies. And knowing it's all your fault!

Exactly! "Sneak up on that giant ladybird" How?? There's no sneak button! ****, HE'S SEEN US! I haven't felt that loss since Darwinia (that level with the huge hill in the middle... you keep establishing beach-heads with your troop carrier cannons, and sending the poor buggers over the hill to their deaths for hour after hour...)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

James74 wrote: »
    Started into Skyward Sword again. I never did much with it on the Wii because the blurry Vaseline-o-vision graphics used to really annoy me back when I first played it. But for some reason I really don't mind it as much through the WiiU. Where before it was just a blurry mess, I'm now seeing it as a nice cell-shady artisticy filtery effect. So is the WiiU doing anything to the Wii graphics to pretty them up? My understanding is that the Wii mode is just a emulator so it should look exactly the same.

Of course it could be that I'm just completely wrong...

Yup
    Completely wrong I'm afraid
    The Wii and the GameCube before it had lovely crisp visuals, especially if used with an RGB cable.
    The N64 had blurry visuals at times, and some might say that the like of Ocarina of Time and Majoras Mask suffered due to it.
    But I'd disagree there too.

On the Wii you had Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword and they looked stunning.
    Wind Waker was beautiful as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭James74

Aye, also playing SMG2 on disk on WiiU at it still looks great (as an aside, it really does show how much more important great art design is rather than simple polygon counts and shader effects. And how much Nintendo absolutely nailed the design on their games).

It's specifically Skyward Sword that remember using a fairly blurry filter (or effect... or something), especially with distant landscapes and objects.

And you've just reminded me that I have Twilight Princess buried away somewhere. Must dig it out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

I'd like to see nintendo come out with some form of 3DS to TV connection. It is entirely possible for a 3DS to output video to other screens, but you have to have a 3ds modified to do so (which would void any warranty and make repairs difficult if it came down to it). There are a few people on YouTube who have bought and imported 3ds systems with built in capture cards.

How would it look though?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well you can already play Super Smash Bros WiiU with your 3DS so I don't see why they couldn't allow you to run 3DS titles on a WiiU somehow, particularly given downloadable 3DS titles.

Also, I think, with the New 3DS in mind, it'd be a simple matter to release a WiiU console with a New 3DS acting as Gamepad.

All the buttons and features of the Gamepad are replicated on the handheld and it'd certainly make the package very very attractive.

A WiiU with a New 3DS XL included at a €300 price point .

You can play your WiiU titles and, thinking of the suggestion above, have a built in capability of displaying the upper 3DS screen on a TV.

Couple it with a Pokemon game for both formats= money printing machine!

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭macpac26

Just had my first play with a Wii U. Fell in love with Mario 3D World, it felt fantastic to play once my brain got over the size of the gamepad. Mario Kart was fantastic too. I might go the Wii U route first rather than spend around €200+ on a 3DS XL. Just a quick question, obviously ive missed the Wii games so if i download through the store do i need to buy a Wii remote to play them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Well you can already play Super Smash Bros WiiU with your 3DS so I don't see why they couldn't allow you to run 3DS titles on a WiiU somehow, particularly given downloadable 3DS titles.

Also, I think, with the New 3DS in mind, it'd be a simple matter to release a WiiU console with a New 3DS acting as Gamepad.

All the buttons and features of the Gamepad are replicated on the handheld and it'd certainly make the package very very attractive.

A WiiU with a New 3DS XL included at a €300 price point .

You can play your WiiU titles and, thinking of the suggestion above, have a built in capability of displaying the upper 3DS screen on a TV.

Couple it with a Pokemon game for both formats= money printing machine!

I really wouldn't be surprised if nintendos next console was something like that, a home console that you can play on yer tv at home and a portable 3ds style tablet that you can download and store your games on and take with you when you leave the house and game anywhere you want and when you come back home upload it back to the home console and resume it on the tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I've been looking to get the Zelda Wind Waker HD remake for the Wii U but it seems hard to find. Anyone seen this for a resonable price anywhere?

It also makes me think I should pick up Captain Toad while it is still readily available.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Finished Captain Toad last night. What a wonderful, beautiful, clever utterly adorable game. Toad is my hero.

Finished Captain Toad last night. What a wonderful, beautiful, clever utterly adorable game. Toad is my hero.

It's totally cool.
    I wish I was a newcomer to Nintendo again so I could have Super Mario 3D World and Captain Toad as my first games, I can only imagine the bliss.
    As a jaded gamer of some 35 years I would say those two still illicit joy joy feelings.
    Can't wait to see what Ninty has in store for 2015

Thinking of taking the plunge and getting that (Cpt Toad). You guys reckon it's worth €40? Might it come down? Argos seem to have put the price UP!

Xenoblade prorder on Shopto or Rakuten or something (with applicable code, BTW) shows the New 3DS logo across the top of the box. Wonder if that's the final design?

And I wonder why I'm wondering that here instead of in the new 3DS thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Thinking of taking the plunge and getting that (Cpt Toad). You guys reckon it's worth €40? Might it come down? Argos seem to have put the price UP!

Nintendo prices don't generally come down. At least that has been my experience.

• Advertisement

Easily worth the €40 though it is not the longest game ever.
    In that regard it is reminiscent of Metal Gear Solid, a perfect jewel of a game.
    I can't recommend it more highly.

Advertisement