Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,466 ✭✭✭Nollog

wampyrus77 wrote: »
    We have seent a starfox game for roughly 10yrs, last one was remake so that one doesn't really count

that's why i can wait, been waiting ages already what's another year?

The mewtwo codes don't get emailed until "spring" which will probably be the day before summer on Nintendo's calendar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

apparently a few ex devs from rare, the guys behind banjo kazooie and DK 64 are making a debut project for the wiiu

http://www.playtonicgames.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

apparently a few ex devs from rare, the guys behind banjo kazooie and DK 64 are making a debut project for the wiiu

http://www.playtonicgames.com/

Huzzah, 4 hours of gameplay and 40 of collecting ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Sonic Boom is the lowest selling Sonic game to date, selling just 490,00 copies. The absolute garbage SEGA have released in the Sonic name over the years really does show the wonders Nintendo have done with Mario. SEGA can't even get 1 Sonic game right, yet Nintendo have produced multiple classic Mario games.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Has there been a good Sonic game since Generations?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Has there been a good Sonic game since Sonic 3?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

Big's fishing mini game?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

The Sonic Kart racing one was decent enough, I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

Sonic adventure on the dreamcast was amazing at the time. I wouldn't go near it now in case it'd ruin my memory of it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Sonic adventure battle 2 on the game cube. Chao racing and wrangling rocked. Hated generations, mind

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I thought the Sonic Rush games were good.

The All-stars Racing games are great if those count :P

Not a single sonic game holds up. Adventure 1, 2, heroes, shadow the hedgehog, all are now garbage. Say what you want about mario sunshine, but thats still a damn fine game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Big fans of Colours on the Wii. It seemed like such a step in the right direction, if plauged by a few things. Yanno, the repititive boss fights, the odd insta-death and the occasional control blips, but it was such a vast improvement over what'd come before.

Generations was good, but it felt like an ever-so-slightly backward move. Granted, that might've been because it was celebrating the Sonic canon by taking bits from all of them and only a rough 40% of which were actually decent games.

Adventure, and more so in Adventure 2, felt like being handed a shovel, being pointed toward a pile of dung and sent off with a smirky "find the jewel in there". Too often I found myself going "I can't wait for the Sonic bits".....in a Sonic game. Hell, even they were decked with issues.
    cloud493 wrote: »
    Not a single sonic game holds up. Adventure 1, 2, heroes, shadow the hedgehog, all are now garbage. Say what you want about mario sunshine, but thats still a damn fine game.

True, but did they ever stand in the first place? Echo the Sunshine sentiment. Played it for the first time there a couple years back and was all "where have you been all my life?".

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Yeah, the first 1 or two of the Sonic Rush games were pretty decent, and colours was good too. None of them compare to the first 3 Sonic games, and I'm including both the Mega Drive and Master System/Game Gear versions in that.

I used to adore sonic adventure 1 and 2 when I first played them on gamecube. Played them since on PS3, garbage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Sonic Adventure and it's sequel are dreadful IMHO
    And while I can appreciate the GBA and DS titles they only appear brighter and better when compared to the sh1te that was released later.
    Its remarkable that Mario titles, at worst, have been good better than anything on contemperary consoles, Sonic games, at least since the Megadrive, have been forgettable tosh and easily outpaced by the likes of Jak & Daxter and Ratchet and Clank on the PS2.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Watching this it definitely hasn't aged well. The mind does wonders for games you haven't played since 2000!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

>implying generations was good

:pac:

I gotta be square in this thread, as a younger lad I fecking loved Sonic. When I got my Gamecube I just started hoovering up all the Sonic games on it, all of which were the 3D installments. I've still got them. Sonic Adventure DX, Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic Heroes. Did I ask for Shadow the Hedgehog for Christmas and finish it the same day? You bet your ass I did, I even bought the Prima strategy guide to help me unlock all the hidden endings. Did I get my parents to buy me Sonic Riders for my birthday, even in the GC's waning years when the games were so hard to find? Absolutely. And I finished all of them completely. Even Sonic R on PC.

I didn't have a PS3 but I still finished Sonic 06 at a friend's house and managed to get through Sonic and the Secret Rings on Wii (which was actually incredibly difficult). I think that was my last venture but that was me for a while but those games really did make me so happy once upon a time and I often just look back and wonder "why?". They're hilariously bad, all of them, I'm not having these "oh but Adventure was actually okay" apologist stances. I know they suck, but I still love them anyway, just because they managed to make a significantly stupider version of me happy once.

It's really weird to see how badly they've been doing it and for how long. I mean you can accept a mis-step, especially in the conversion to 3D, but they've been pulling the same nonsense for over 15 years now and learned nothing. They still won't get the characters to just shut up for one thing. Mario was quite content to bookend the games with whatever filler motivation and then let you spend 99% of your time jumping around on things that weren't even slightly related to that. Meanwhile, Sonic kept piling on more talking animals and constantly bigger and darker plots (which they at least cooled off on after Sonic 06). Adventure had the gigantic water monster, Chaos, destroying the city. Adventure 2 upped the ante with a mad scientist who built a death star on the moon, a load of military mumbo jumbo and more emotional cheese. Then Shadow the Hedgehog literally had the apocalypse, with ever edgier and grittier callbacks to the maniacal scientist and his late human friend. It's all very hard as an adult to take this kind of stuff seriously, especially from a game that, in it's heyday, was bright and chirpy and where the stakes were only as high as "some fat guy put some animals in a box and they need to be freed".

Sega aren't a terrible games company, it just seems like they consistently don't care at all for their own mascot character's games. I hope the relative failure of Sonic Boom maybe causes them to want to put a bit more time and care into the next installment, if they don't just can the series completely.

Sonic R, ah yes, I loved that game.
    Might have had more to do with having feck all else new to play on my trusty Saturn, back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

I'm beginning to think I have a Hyrule Warriors addiction. I just can't not put the disk in every time I boot up....
    Only a few hours later, can I put something else on like last nights eventual fifa session.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

smokingman wrote: »
    I'm beginning to think I have a Hyrule Warriors addiction. I just can't not put the disk in every time I boot up....
    Only a few hours later, can I put something else on like last nights eventual fifa session.

I had that addiction leading up to my exams last December, then I lost all interest suddenly! Back to classes in a week so it probably will become a problem again :pac:

I had that addiction leading up to my exams last December, then I lost all interest suddenly! Back to classes in a week so it probably will become a problem again :pac:

I'm sure the grinding will get to me eventually, especially since they upped the max levdl to 200 in the last dlc....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I heard them say ".....next year" and was :mad::(

Then I realised the video was uploaded in 2014 and then I was :D:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Corholio wrote: »
    I heard them say ".....next year" and was :mad::(

Then I realised the video was uploaded in 2014 and then I was :D:cool:

Yeah that's been knocking around a while looks lovely i can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I actually uploaded the wrong video, there is a new one out today, will get it later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Xenji wrote: »
    I actually uploaded the wrong video, there is a new one out today, will get it later.

Ooh nice I look forward to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Stylesclash07

Just picked up a wii U got mario kart, smash bros, new super mario u, zombiu and funky barn for the kids haha. Any free to play games in the wii U that are good. Looking forward to getting captain toad and mario 3d any other recommendations

Just picked up a wii U got mario kart, smash bros, new super mario u, zombiu and funky barn for the kids haha. Any free to play games in the wii U that are good. Looking forward to getting captain toad and mario 3d any other recommendations

Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta 2, Need for Speed, Deus Ex and Injustice...to name a few of my faves...
    Also, you can get Fifa for a tenner these days...

• Advertisement

Xenji wrote: »

I've searched high and low and can't find a whisper of new footage....you have me curious now...

Advertisement