Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

At least two of the biggest games on the Cube were rushed to meet unrealistic release deadlines: Sunshine and Wind Waker (the hated diving for the tri force section was added to pad the game's running time after a couple of planned temples were abandoned.) Not Nintendo's finest moment.

Also, there really was only one winner that gen...there was so much stuff for the PS2 that you wouldn't have missed a whole lot by not owning any other console.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Sorry there but, as I said, Super Mario Sunshine was much better than any other 3d platformer on any other format.
    And if you only owned a PS2 you were robbed of so much gaming goodness, from Metroid Prime, Pikmin, Halo, Strangers Wrath, Project Gotham 2, the list is almost endless.
    Now, I loved my PS2, still do, I have over 250 games for it at this stage, but to ignore the other consoles of that gen is foolish.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Don't get me wrong, I loved my GC, just like I loved my N64, the first party stuff was excellent and Rogue Squadron made it worthwhile on its own.. But within about 2 years GC gamers were definitely the lower classes in retail, and the GC is where the trend of 3rd party developers neglecting us began....

But I'm a one console guy, so maybe that's a perception issue - I'm always goin to miss out on something ;)

Edit: yes of course that was hyperbole, sure where is the fun in representing the situation in a purely literal and unadorned way?

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Sorry there but, as I said, Super Mario Sunshine was much better than any other 3d platformer on any other format.
    And if you only owned a PS2 you were robbed of so much gaming goodness, from Metroid Prime, Pikmin, Halo, Strangers Wrath, Project Gotham 2, the list is almost endless.

So many games for PS2 though, that was the point. I don't think the list of great games on the other two platforms is even remotely "endless."

As an aside, Pikmin and Halo were both a bit *yawn*

• Advertisement

Actually GC might be best remembered for less obvious franchises, like Paper Mario, Metroid (which people think of as a Nintendo staple now, but didn't appear on the N64 at all), F-Zero GX, etc, rather than the usual Zelda/mainline Mario titles...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,633 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

Mario Sunshine might be the weakest of the 3D mario games but it's still a far better game than anything the PS2 or Xbox provided.

Just wanted to nip in and voice my agreement with this comment. I say this as a PS2 lover, i just don't believe Mario Sunshine ever got the love it deserved.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭FreezeUp

N64 pooped all over Gamecube I'm afraid. The first time you played an N64, it was like you just jumped 50 generations. Gamecube was lite compared to PS2 and Xbox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

FreezeUp wrote: »
    N64 pooped all over Gamecube I'm afraid

This post fails on so many levels I'm afraid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

FreezeUp wrote: »
    N64 pooped all over Gamecube I'm afraid. The first time you played an N64, it was like you just jumped 50 generations. Gamecube was lite compared to PS2 and Xbox.

GameCube was class. Under appreciated by the new age Sony and Microsoft fanboys.. No matter what nintendo are the kings of gaming.. Ms and Sony are nowhere near as what nintendo have achieved with their consoles and epic games...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Banjo wrote: »
    the GC is where the trend of 3rd party developers neglecting us began....

I think that began at the arse-end of the SNES era, when Ninty dicked Sony and then turned around and took a typically conservative step by not making the jump to disc-based systems with the following generation.

The N64 was doomed by the fact it was comparatively expensive to dev for, and Ninty struggled to garner any 3rd party loyalty, as the companies it was depending on were the very ones that'd be at mercy of Ninty's draconian policies that pervaded the 3rd and 4th gens. No pancakes, lads!

The Gamecube era actually something of a 'make good' with 3rd parties, such as Square or Capcom, as Ninty were hoping to gear the system toward an older, game-savvier audience from the get-go, instead of their usual one-size-fits-all approach. Of course, this fell through for many reasons, but it did happen.

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Ninty were hoping to gear the system toward an older, game-savvier audience

How did having a big handle on the back fit in with that?

Actually, I thought the GC a gorgeous little console, apart from that feckin' handle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Kinski wrote: »
    How did having a big handle on the back fit in with that?

Actually, I thought the GC a gorgeous little console, apart from that feckin' handle.

what you talking about , it was a portable lunch box :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

Kinski wrote: »

Agreed, that handle yoke sticking out the back defeated the purpose of calling it a GameCube, but other than that, I loved the console.

what you talking about , it was a portable lunch box :pac:

As opposed to a non-portable lunch box? That would defeat the point of a lunch box.

The facts may be the facts, but I never felt neglected as an N64 owner..... And again, and as a GC owner I did. This must be how Joe Fritzel's overground kids must have felt when they heard the news...

Anyway, I have a WiiU and the novelty hasn't worn off yet. Free tank game! Free pinball! The shop timed out when I tried to buy Trine 2 so I went to the loo (a standyup visit, I wasn't gone long) and upon my return the price had doubled. Son of a...! Novelty losing integrity. Fifa 13 demo is OK, though shooting gimic feels ungainly for heated matches. Love how it develops on where PES took the Wii. Is this new ground for EA? Haven't played their footy games since 2003 on the GC...

Why are there only about 20mins of the day during which ZombiU is downloadable???? Fecking EU...

Toilet Test failed, signal drops literally at the door. My range covers my front room, hall and a corner of the kitchen near the table so I can just about offscreen in another room. Haven't checked outside the house yet. Or upstairs.

Either Mario is getting harder or I'm getting older. The patronising Luigi guide/assist is bad, but letting you use him to skip bits is criminal. They've been listening to too much Dara o'Briain

Banjo wrote: »
    The facts may be the facts, but I never felt neglected as an N64 owner..... And again, and as a GC owner I did. This must be how Joe Fritzel's overground kids must have felt when they heard the news...

Anyway, I have a WiiU and the novelty hasn't worn off yet. Free tank game! Free pinball! The shop timed out when I tried to buy Trine 2 so I went to the loo (a standyup visit, I wasn't gone long) and upon my return the price had doubled. Son of a...! Novelty losing integrity. Fifa 13 demo is OK, though shooting gimic feels ungainly for heated matches. Love how it develops on where PES took the Wii. Is this new ground for EA? Haven't played their footy games since 2003 on the GC...

Why are there only about 20mins of the day during which ZombiU is downloadable???? Fecking EU...

Toilet Test failed, signal drops literally at the door. My range covers my front room, hall and a corner of the kitchen near the table so I can just about offscreen in another room. Haven't checked outside the house yet. Or upstairs.

Either Mario is getting harder or I'm getting older. The patronising Luigi guide/assist is bad, but letting you use him to skip bits is criminal. They've been listening to too much Dara o'Briain
    If you used even 1 of those help blocks I have lost all respect lol

If you used even 1 of those help blocks I have lost all respect lol
    I didn't know what it was! I was expecting a free acorn or something. And he's was so slow... I got bored watching and accidentally killed him

I love the idea that I have respect to lose though, especially after the GC/buying johnnies analogy ;)

second review for lego city undercover in

5/10 from edge

8.5: game informer

http://mynintendonews.com/2013/03/09/edge-awards-lego-city-undercover-a-disappointing-510/

• Advertisement

second review for lego city undercover in

5/10 from edge

8.5: game informer

http://mynintendonews.com/2013/03/09/edge-awards-lego-city-undercover-a-disappointing-510/

Disappointed hearing that 5/10 is a terrible score.. Won't be buying if any more reviews like that come in

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Have turned on my Wii U once since early January. Gathering dust. I honestly think Nintendo have a big failure on their hands.

And as a Nintendo fan all my life, it pains me to say that.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Have turned on my Wii U once since early January. Gathering dust. I honestly think Nintendo have a big failure on their hands.

Is this the first time you've ever bought a console at/near launch?

You think this is bad? The 3DS has nothing worthwhile, except a port of a twenty year old game for a good nine months. The Wii U, while seemingly slow to get going, hit the ground running with actual original games & content. Stuff will trickle through for it for the next while, but the floodgates will open by the end of the year/this time next year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭SK1979

Any sign of a new Nintendo Direct this month or anything? I really hope that Nintendo are able to get at least 6-8 huge games out the door this year? Whatever their 1st and 2nd party developers have been doing for the past 2-3 years is a complete mystery to me.

SK1979 wrote: »
    Whatever their 1st and 2nd party developers have been doing for the past 2-3 years is a complete mystery to me.
    Working on the StarfoxLanders game and unending flood of revenue generating RF-chipped tat that goes with it. Also, they have a new mobile phone platform based on Ninties own OS, Chibirobo. The WiiU is a diversion to throw Disney and Google off the scent

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Is this the first time you've ever bought a console at/near launch?

Gamecube Day 1
    Nintendo DS Day 1
    Wii Day 1
    3DS Week 1
    Wii U Day 1

There is absolutely nothing to play on the console and there is absolutely nothing on the horizon. Too many ports of games I have played to death on Xbox in the past 18 months.

It's too hardcore to be a casual machine and too casual to be a hargcore machine. It's caught in the worst kind of middle ground.

And to be honest, I hope it does and teaches Nintendo a lesson. They have been pouring out the same tired sh!te recently. They have become a complacent, lazy company that are living off past success.
    EnterNow wrote: »
    You think this is bad? The 3DS has nothing worthwhile, except a port of a twenty year old game for a good nine months. The Wii U, while seemingly slow to get going, hit the ground running with actual original games & content. Stuff will trickle through for it for the next while, but the floodgates will open by the end of the year/this time next year

By the time the floodgates open, the next gen Sony and MS machines will be out. Those machines are going to eat the Wii U alive. Nintendo must be worried about the news that MS doesn't see the new xbox as just a games machine. With smartglass capable of doing alot of what the Wii U can do, MS can really hurt Nintendo if they get their marketing right.

Maybe it's just me, maybe I'm just grown out of Nintendo after playing for 25 years. Skyward Sword? Played for about 6 hours. Haven't finished any new Zelda same since Majora's Mask (funnily enough I did finish Ocarina of Time on the 3DS and no zelda game has touched the two N64 games), NSMB2 was a bore, didn't have any inclination to finish SMG2 and have no inclination to finish the Wii U NSMB either.

I can honestly say that I am not excited by any game on Wii U or has been announced for Wii U.

Tomb Raider on the Xbox? Absolutely devoured it. I "wanted" to finish it. Then I wanted to collect everything. I haven't felt that way about a Nintendo game in ages...I actually can't remember when I really wanted to finish a game on a Nintendo console. It's like I'm playing and buying out of loyalty.

The saddest thing about it all is that, even when I was getting the Wii U, I KNEW I would get no use out of it. Wouldn't be surprised if I didn't just get rid of it on adverts.ie

Painful for me to write all that. :(

If the Wii-U is in a similar situation two years from now, then I'll be open to talks of its failure. A disillusionment with their output, however justified, does not qualify it as such.

Mind, I've a very selfish, vile desire to see the console tank properly. This is only because Nintendo might revert to their GCN-era habits, such as fiddling with formulas and banking on new IPs/directions. Granted, it hardly worked in the long-run for the Gamecube, but I did get a lot of awesome games out of it, and I did write 'selfish'. Though, as soon as Nintendo did find themselves truly 3rd and out of the race, we got the Wii. So, it's a 50/50 deal if they'd go more 'core or more casual.

i think the thing with nintendo is that their in house development studio games have to be perfect to them or they wont release it.

even if you compared it back in the day with megadrive and snes , sega had more in house games than nintendo only difference was nintendo had the 3rd party.

it seems its effecting nintendo more and more these days.

i bought the wii u for zelda and platnium games bayonetta 2 and wonderful 101.

anything else is a plus

• Advertisement

By the time the floodgates open, the next gen Sony and MS machines will be out. Those machines are going to eat the Wii U alive. Nintendo must be worried about the news that MS doesn't see the new xbox as just a games machine. With smartglass capable of doing alot of what the Wii U can do, MS can really hurt Nintendo if they get their marketing right

The Wii U won't be going up against the next gen consoles any more than the Wii went up against the 360 & PS3. Nintendo are in their own separate bubble these days, its how they've managed to survive the Sony/MS onslaught.

The Wii U {and traditional all Nintendo consoles} offer something that MS & Sony can't...& thats iconic first party titles. Want to play the new Mario Galaxy...or the next iteration of Zelda? Well you'll need a Wii U for that. Want to play the next COD? Yeah..any old box will do. Yes they have their own exclusives like Halo/Uncharted etc...but pound for pound give me a Ninty first party game any day.

TL DR - Its just too early for this kind of doomsday talk. The console has been out for 133 days so far...its really, really, really early days.

Advertisement