Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

sligeach wrote: »
    I'm not buying Splatoon after it was confirmed yesterday that there's no voice chat. In this day and age it's not on anymore. I gave them a pass on Smash Bros. Wii U and MK8 but not anymore.

Separate topic but why is it so horrendous viewing this site on the Wii U? It's so slow and keep getting script loading messages.
    I personally like the no chatting on wii u. Is it totally no chat or can you chat with friends in the same match like you can in the other games?
    I do think they should introduce a party chat feature like the ps4 though but that's as far as it like it to go. I normally turn off chat on the ps4 games as its normally kids talking rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

Kinda glad it doesn't have voice chat....couldn't take listening to all that moaning.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm not buying Splatoon after it was confirmed yesterday that there's no voice chat. In this day and age it's not on anymore. I gave them a pass on Smash Bros. Wii U and MK8 but not anymore.

Separate topic but why is it so horrendous viewing this site on the Wii U? It's so slow and keep getting script loading messages.

No voice chat is enough to turn you off a whole game?
    A game you haven't even played yet?
    A game that has already gotten tongues wagging as to how good it appears to be in previews?
    Wow...
    That's hardcore, no sense in being in two minds, or saying "I may have to consider not getting Splatoon with the lack of voice chat", no sir, Full Commitment! ;)

I, for one, welcome the opportunity not to have to hear pre-teens questioning my parenthood and my sexual orientation while I play the game!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

smokingman wrote: »
    Kinda glad it doesn't have voice chat....couldn't take listening to all that moaning.

Said the bishop to the actress...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,557 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Im not worried about voice chat but I am worried about whether there's local multiplayer.
    That would turn me off completely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Anyone any idea where the absolute cheapest place to get Mario Kart is? Online or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I'm currently on World 7 of Super Mario 3D World. I knew it was going to be good and was one of the main reasons I bought a WiiU. I didn't expect it to be such a phenomenaly good game.

Easily the best 3D Mario title and depending on how good the rest of the game is it could end up rivalling Mario World as the best in the series.

I'm feeling the same. Currently on World 4 but I can't wait to go back and 100% some levels later on. The multiplayer is great fun too!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

I'm currently on World 7 of Super Mario 3D World. I knew it was going to be good and was one of the main reasons I bought a WiiU. I didn't expect it to be such a phenomenaly good game.

Easily the best 3D Mario title and depending on how good the rest of the game is it could end up rivalling Mario World as the best in the series.

It's probably one of my favourite games of all time. Such an abundantly creative game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,220 ✭✭✭MrVestek

What are you on about? Smash Bros and MK8 have voice chat? It's just hardly anybody uses it. Which can only be a good thing if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Im not worried about voice chat but I am worried about whether there's local multiplayer.

The Eurogamer preview suggested that there isn't, as it's only playable with the gamepad, and not the pro-controller.

• Advertisement

Star Lord wrote: »
    The Eurogamer preview suggested that there isn't, as it's only playable with the gamepad, and not the pro-controller.
    I heard that being mentioned but presumed it meant you had to use the Gamepad on 1 player. It would be very bad if it wasn't split screen alright that's what I was looking forward too! in my house were all gamers if we can find the right game and they are usually nintendo games.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

ooooh that's a killer.... is that because of how it uses the touchscreen? Does that mean there's no Off-TV play? Noooooooooooooo!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Who the hell needs voice chat when these ladies approve of the game! :pac:

New footage too.

http://www.lazygamer.net/video/nintendo-brings-in-playboy-to-pimp-splatoon/

The best comment I've seen about this video...

"I think this is what Nintendo means about Quality of Life" :p

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Same here. If there's no local multi-player then it wouldn't interest me either.

There seems to be confusion about whether it has local multiplayer or not, some sites saying yes, some saying no.

It's also been confirmed that you can turn off the gyro controls if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

I'd pre-order this today if I could. How come Amazon don't have it available for pre-order? Looks really interesting. Single player gives off a bit of a portal vibe.

When they first announced it they said it will have local co-op. One on the pad one on the telly don't know if they've changed there mind or not but it wouldn't be like nintendo to exclude it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,677 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    No voice chat is enough to turn you off a whole game?
    A game you haven't even played yet?
    A game that has already gotten tongues wagging as to how good it appears to be in previews?
    Wow...
    That's hardcore, no sense in being in two minds, or saying "I may have to consider not getting Splatoon with the lack of voice chat", no sir, Full Commitment! ;)

I, for one, welcome the opportunity not to have to hear pre-teens questioning my parenthood and my sexual orientation while I play the game!

I'm making a stand against Nintendo's refusal to join the rest of the world in the 21st century. Voice chat should be the norm, there's no excuse. The other 2 platforms have it. Hell, didn't the original XBOX have voice chat?

I like the look of it, will need reviews of course but this is a big blemish on an otherwise very promising game. It's supposed to be a team game. How are we meant to communicate? Those who use Skype or similar will have a big advantage. This game is made by the young talent at Nintendo, they wanted voice chat but the old dinosaurs running Nintendo wouldn't allow it.

MrVestek wrote: »
    What are you on about? Smash Bros and MK8 have voice chat? It's just hardly anybody uses it. Which can only be a good thing if you ask me.

Smash Bros. and MK8 only have voice chat in the lobby, not in the actual game itself and it's only amongst friends.

Nintedo Europe might have had a slip with regards to release dates. These were posted on the Official Nintendo European Press site before quickly been taken down and replaced with generic release place holders.

euro_nintendo_dates.png?e5b67c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,013 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

In fairness voice chat is pretty much essential in team based shooters.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

yeah, was just thinking that. Mariokart and Smash you only really need it for smacktalk, and it's understandable that they'd want to avoid that. If Splatoon has no local multiplayer, and no voice chat (especially no team-segregated chat) then there's no way to co-ordinate your efforts without going to some sort of 3rd party solution. That's a couple of big omissions.

I dont think voice chat is absolutely essential when the main aim, unlike other shooters, isn't the actual shooting part. You'll always be doing something regardless of any enemies near.

The other modes that they haven't delved into yet could prove different however.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Does nintendoland have voice chat?

I thought it did, I've not tried it with headset, but it looked like it did in many of the videos.

Worst thing about nintendo land, not enough people playing it.

On a brighter note, *less than 2 weeks until my Wii U comes out of storage... :D:D:D:D

*cue Pharrell - "happy"

Allyall wrote: »
    Does nintendoland have voice chat?

I thought it did, I've not tried it with headset, but it looked like it did in many of the videos.

Worst thing about nintendo land, not enough people playing it.

On a brighter note, *less than 2 weeks until my Wii U comes out of storage... :D:D:D:D

*cue Pharrell - "happy"
    Can you play online in Nintendoland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

yes it has voice chat but isnt available in ireland yet because we dont have nintendo tv available to us but we always get miiverse and ssb wiiu voice chat, nintendoland does have mii chat

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/12/nintendo_explains_why_nintendo_land_doesnt_include_online_multiplayer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

It's probably one of my favourite games of all time. Such an abundantly creative game.

Matthewmatosis just did a very in-depth review of it a few days ago as part of a longer series on Mario games. I found it quite interesting.

There's no online multiplayer in Nintendo Land.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,557 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Corholio wrote: »
    There seems to be confusion about whether it has local multiplayer or not, some sites saying yes, some saying no.

It's also been confirmed that you can turn off the gyro controls if you want.

Please please pleaseeeee! Let it have local multiplayer.

And speaking of Nintendoland, when are we getting new Mario Chase maps?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Please please pleaseeeee! Let it have local multiplayer.

And speaking of Nintendoland, when are we getting new Mario Chase maps?!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=PX83Kl7hmKU#t=369

Advertisement