Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

wampyrus77 wrote: »
    awesome dk 64 is back and i hope we get Banjo-Kazooie on 64

No, Donkey Kong 64 is awful, a big sprawling mess.
    At least it was when I owned and played it on release.
    And time has been very unkind to the visuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    No, Donkey Kong 64 is awful, a big sprawling mess.
    At least it was when I owned and played it on release.
    And time has been very unkind to the visuals.

I'd agree with this. At the time I tried to convince myself how great the game was but got more enjoyment out of playing the versions of Donkey Kong arcade and Jetpac that were included in DK64 than the game itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

I wonder if one were to upgrade Mario and DK 64 from wii to wii u versions (having bought them with cheap tesco wii points) and buy one DS game would the other be free then? And are the DS games any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

So, anyone know where I can pre-order the box Yoshi WW and Splatoon box yet? Amazon are useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

is there a promotion on?

Cool. I can't help remembering DK64 as awesome, even though part of me knows it wasn't. Same with Conker and Banjo. Maybe it's because it was so f'ing expensive with the bundled memory expansion pack that I had to love it?

I've used the Wii->WiiU upgrade to activate an eShop promo before (buy 3 streetfighters, get 4th free) before. For anyone considering liquidating Stars for Points, remember you can only buy 1 points card per day from the Stars catalogue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

It seems really a odd move to me bringing ds Virtual Console to the wii u, like wouldnt they be better on the 3ds? i know the 3ds can play Ds cartridges but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,466 ✭✭✭Nollog

It seems really a odd move to me bringing ds Virtual Console to the wii u, like wouldnt they be better on the 3ds? i know the 3ds can play Ds cartridges but still.

They want the gamepad to have uses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

well i want yoshi ww amiibo and splatoon amiibo so i going get them from gamestop unless smyths has special amiibo editions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

Oh, and to put that previous argument to bed; did anyone notice the local multiplayer (albeit 2 player only) Splatoon showing? I certainly did :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

smokingman wrote: »
    Oh, and to put that previous argument to bed; did anyone notice the local multiplayer (albeit 2 player only) Splatoon showing? I certainly did :)
    Yep sure did! Its better than nothing I guess. Shows that you are able to use other controllers although I think it was mentioned that you have to use the Gamepad for single player.
    Anyway I'm sure the online multiplayer will be great fun!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I missed the Direct, but heard talk that features of Splatoon require the 3 amiibos to activate. Is that true? If so, what features?

Splatoon has online multiplayer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

wampyrus77 wrote: »
    Splatoon has online multiplayer

Yes.
    But it was the local multiplayer option that was concerning people, or rather the lack of reports of one.
    Delighted to see it's in there.
    I'm hoping if demand for the game is high we'll see further features added.

I still hold out hope that they have arena battle options in some future dlc for MK8!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

If it had some good battle arenas, I think it'd be the best Mario Kart game...

Anyone else played Tangami? Very short game, but very good, and beautifully made!

anyone hoping to get the splatoon and inkling bundle its available for preorder on smyths

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

anyone hoping to get the splatoon and inkling bundle its available for preorder on smyths

Just ordered it thanks. They have Wolly World listed with Amiibo but no pic, well they have the Splatoon pic up in error, I wonder is it the knitted one!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Wow. That is crazy money.
    €70? http://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/video-games-tablets/nintendo-wii-u/c-745/wii-u-games/p-12303/splatoon-wii-u-with-inkling-squid-amiibo/

I had a look around after that.
    The Game is €60 from them. :(Same Price as Gamestop (which is a bad indicator)

The Game is €34 Delivered from TheGameCollection using code 2off20.
    It may or may not arrive on release day, but nearly half the price.

An example of a B&M store price (But not in Ireland) is Auchan (France + Spain) Where the bundle is €44.95 using a code (RESAAUCHAN)
    €39.99 in Cdiscount

Staying in France (as guide price) Yoshi's Wooly World with Green Yoshi Amiibo €49.99
    They have that for €59.99 in Smyths (wrong picture though)
    Or the Game alone for €49.99
    or €69.99 in Gamestop :eek::eek:

We are getting a raw deal, as there's no competition here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

ladies/gents, any good deals on a console? looking for one for my little one, is argos the best price around?

Allyall wrote: »
    Wow. That is crazy money.

I know, it sucks!, hopefully the price is a placeholder but im not holding my breath. I only preordered it because i have a feeling the inkling and game bundle is gonna be another MMXL 3ds thing all over again. if something else comes up cheaper ill be all over it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

cadete wrote: »
    ladies/gents, any good deals on a console? looking for one for my little one, is argos the best price around?

Argos have some very good offers at the minute with special offer available Free game - Sonic and Mario
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3911031/Trail/searchtext%3EWII+U.htm

I know, it sucks!, hopefully the price is a placeholder but im not holding my breath. I only preordered it because i have a feeling the inkling and game bundle is gonna be another MMXL 3ds thing all over again. if something else comes up cheaper ill be all over it!!

Yeah, Amazon Spain is €31 for the game. I'd hope it will drop in price closer to the date.

• Advertisement

sbready.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Roark

Guys, what is the gaming experience on the Gamepad like? I've recently rediscovered my love for Nintendo and I've been playing the 3DS a lot in the last few months. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on the Wii U. Is it a bit late at this stage? Should I wait for the new console?

I have a PS3 under the TV which never really gets played other than for Blu Rays so I'm thinking the Wii U will be a better buy for me than the PS4 or Xbone.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I think the NX is at least 18 months away (Christmas 2016) and I'd put money on it being able to play Wii U games.

Your choice is to wait 18 months or buy now and enjoy a library of 20+ GREAT games that can only be played on a Nintendo console. Wouldn't be a tough choice for me. :)

To answer your original question, the gamepad is excellent (especially if you're in a house where you have to share a TV).

Once you have a realistic outlook on the WiiU it's a decent buy.
    The console has the best line up of games on it right now.
    Splatoon is on the way and may well be incredible.
    Zelda is sadly a ways off now and that's unfortunate.
    But, if you can get one for the right price it is a cracking console, with a range of titles on it right now, some 20 at least, that is second to none.
    And that's more games than most buy for any console of any generation.
    A console with Super Mario 3d World, Smash Bros, Pikmin 3, Mario Kart 8, you'd be happy for some time!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

The Wii-U has a stunning library of games available now. Early last year I had zero interest in it (or any of the current gen tbh), took a punt on the Wii-U with that amazing Gamestop summer bundle along with MK 8 and it's free download. Almost a year later and I'm shocked with the number of games I've bought for it (mostly great games imo):

Bayonetta 1&2
    Ben 10
    Captain Toad
    Darksiders 2
    Hyrule Warriors
    Lego City
    MK 8
    Monster Hunter 3
    NSMB U + Luigi U
    NintendoLand
    Rayman Legends
    Splinter Cell
    Super Mario 3D World
    Wii Party U
    Wonderful 101
    Wind Waker
    ZombiU

Donkey Kong TP is another I need to get but overall I'm delighted to have got it. The Gamepad is pretty good as a controller, very handy as Mr. E says if you have to share a TV. It doesn't quite stretch to playing in another room unfortunately but it was never designed to I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

SUPERKush wrote: »
    Zelda is not coming to the Wii U

Lol! What?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Roark

Thanks guys. I'm sold :).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Splatoon will require just 1.8gb of space on the Wii U hard drive if downloading the game. Pretty impressive compared to a lot of games.

NBA 2K13 apparently required 20gb :eek:

what ssb blog where you chose new character for ssb please and zelda u not coming to wii u i dont believe u

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Well after living off of my 3DS I've finally joined the world of the Wii U. Excited! First game: Super Mario 3D World

[Edit] I can finally watch a Nintendo Direct and be excited about all of it instead of half!

Advertisement