Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

can someone tell me what the hell is going on with the wii u? There are no games - we've been playing nintendoland since Christmas.... and I think I'm going mad ted. The only other game we have is Mario, and there is nothing on the horizon that looks any good.
    It says a lot that my 11 year old has taken out the gamecube, while the wii u sits gathering dust. You'd think they'd make a stack of games before releasing a console, seriously annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

planetX wrote: »
    can someone tell me what the hell is going on with the wii u? There are no games - we've been playing nintendoland since Christmas.... and I think I'm going mad ted. The only other game we have is Mario, and there is nothing on the horizon that looks any good.
    It says a lot that my 11 year old has taken out the gamecube, while the wii u sits gathering dust. You'd think they'd make a stack of games before releasing a console, seriously annoying.

There's a dearth of release dates at the moment, but Pikmin 3 and Game & Wario should both be out before the entire games industry goes on its unofficial annual holiday from actually bringing out games for the entire summer. The Wonderful 101 may be out by then too.

Though if a packed release schedule was what you wanted, a new Nintendo machine wasn't really the best choice...

Oh, and according to the makers, the best version of Aliens: Colonial Marines is the one on Wii U - which is true, because noone has ever seen it or played it or wasted money on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

planetX wrote: »
    It says a lot that my 11 year old has taken out the gamecube, while the wii u sits gathering dust.

Does it really though, one had a six year development cycle...the other has had 133 days so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭SK1979

EnterNow wrote: »

Does it really though, one had a seven year development cycle...the other has had 133 days so far.

Speaking of which i really hope that they introduce GameCube games on the virtual console. Surely they will?

SK1979 wrote: »
    Speaking of which i really hope that they introduce GameCube games on the virtual console. Surely they will?

I'd say so yeah...I wouldn't be a big fan of Virtual Console stuff though so it won't bother me either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Seeing as how Club Nintendo started with the GC would love to see GC VC titles discounted for those who have already registered them from the first time around. Won't happen, and but I can dream...

So, I have Mario and Darksiders 2 is on its way. Lego City is apparently pants. I'm not a Wario-ware fan. Aside from Bayonetta, what should I be excited about between now and September? (and why?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Banjo wrote: »
    Seeing as how Club Nintendo started with the GC would love to see GC VC titles discounted for those who have already registered them from the first time around. Won't happen, and but I can dream...

So, I have Mario and Darksiders 2 is on its way. Lego City is apparently pants. I'm not a Wario-ware fan. Aside from Bayonetta, what should I be excited about between now and September?

Pikmin and Wonderful 101 should be out by then anyway. Also, I wouldn't discount Lego City yet, there's only been 2 reviews so far (I think), 1 was good and 1 was average (Edge don't like fun anyway ;), and their reviews can be a bit inconsistent at times). Plus you get to ride around on a T-Rex skeleton for God's sake!!!

Edit: Actually, looking through their review scores they only gave Lego LOTR 6, and I loved it, thought it was the best Lego game yet. So definitely not discounting it till I see more scores

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

The Wii U won't be going up against the next gen consoles any more than the Wii went up against the 360 & PS3. Nintendo are in their own separate bubble these days, its how they've managed to survive the Sony/MS onslaught.

One of the major selling points of the Wii U is the use of a second screen during gameplay. However, there are murmurings that the Vita will be bundled with the PS4 (and can be used as a controller, and will have the ability to stream your PS3 games) and Microsoft are making waves with SmartGlass. When the PS4 and the XBOX720 (for want of a better name) hit the streets, they will be able to do most of the things the Wii U can do, and arguably better.

With the Wii, Nintendo had something absolutely revolutionary - motion control - and both MS and Sony had to scramble to react. Now, Nintendo have shown their hand and it's rivals have reacted in stunning style. I am actually very wary of Sony with the PS4/Vita connectivity. It looks like it could surpass ANYTHING that the Wii U can do, it's out by the end of the year, and probably before Wii U can get it's AAA games out.

You made a valid point that Nintendo chose not to go up against it's rivals and that Wii U won't either. However, when your rivals have comparable technology on the release day of their new consoles, then Nintendo will be pushed back into the battle whether they like it or not.
    The Wii U {and traditional all Nintendo consoles} offer something that MS & Sony can't...& thats iconic first party titles. Want to play the new Mario Galaxy...or the next iteration of Zelda? Well you'll need a Wii U for that. Want to play the next COD? Yeah..any old box will do. Yes they have their own exclusives like Halo/Uncharted etc...but pound for pound give me a Ninty first party game any day.

That's the problem. I really dont want to play the next itenerations as the first party franchsies have become stale. I'm certainly not the only long time Nintendo fan that is saying that. The Mario games have become pretty dull and they have gotten unbelievably lazy since NSMB. As I said, I have been bored with every Zelda game since Majora's Mask and I have no intention of getting WindWaker or the next Zelda (unless it is something absolutely spectacular). I find the Smash Bros games a bore (the first one was great though), Pikmin won't be hugely different, and we might get a Donkey Kong game which might be great. But after that, what is there to look forward to? The only thing that is even slightly intersting is a new Mario Kart. But that's it! One or two games!
    TL DR - Its just too early for this kind of doomsday talk. The console has been out for 133 days so far...its really, really, really early days.

That's 4 months. For now it's a distant third behind my Xbox and even my PS3, and that not great for a new console. There is nothing on the horizon that is of interest and there will be incredibly powerful rivals with their own excellent first party offereings very soon. How many people are going to trade in their Wii U's against them?

The fact is, I have spoken to a number of retailers and the general consensus is that is a complete flop and they expect an aggressive price reduction very soon.

It's sad but it looks like Nintendo have a massive battle on their hands, one that is going to be very tough to win come 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

FutureGuy wrote: »
    However, there are murmurings that the Vita will be bundled with the PS4 (and can be used as a controller, and will have the ability to stream your PS3 games)
    I would sincerely doubt this, unless the PS4 was priced ridiculously highly.
    That's the problem. I really dont want to play the next itenerations as the first party franchsies have become stale. I'm certainly not the only long time Nintendo fan that is saying that. ... I have been bored with every Zelda game since Majora's Mask and I have no intention of getting WindWaker or the next Zelda (unless it is something absolutely spectacular)...
    I'd find myself at a polar opposite to this, I cannot wait for the remade WindWaker, or the new Zelda game. (Although Majora's Mask is still my favourite, I found Skyward Sword has become a very close 2nd place)
    There'll also most likely be a new Metroid game, a 3D Mario and various other games that cannot be got on the other consoles.
    That's 4 months. For now it's a distant third behind my Xbox and even my PS3, and that not great for a new console. There is nothing on the horizon that is of interest...
    I honestly find myself looking forward to the future of the Wii U much more than to any games coming out for the PS3/4 or Xbox 360/720.
    (Watch Dogs being the only exception, and that is coming to the Wii U also)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,135 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I admit the NSMB games don't appeal to me as much as they do to others, but I still enjoy them. I always welcome a new Zelda. Metroid is probably my favourite Nintendo franchise and if they were to release the Prime Trilogy in HD to keep us occupied until the new one I'd have no problem buying it again.
    Lego City Undercover just looks like fun and Wonderful 101 also looks like mad fun.

As for the new systems, I've never owned an XBox as none of their exclusives ever appealed to me enough to justify buying one. For Playstation, I loved the Infamous games so if the new one is as good as the others, I'll be getting it at some point. Same with God of War.

• Advertisement

However, there are murmurings that the Vita will be bundled with the PS4

Highly unlikely, & if it were, the cost would be stupid. There could be a bundled version SKU alright, but again, it'll have a premium price. I take your point though that Sony will offer something similar to the dual screen setup...but for me, thats not the real selling point of the Wii U. Its main selling point is the fact its a Nintendo console, it'll have games that simply won't appear anywhere else.

As for motion controls & the Wii, yeah again I'll say it, motion controls need to die in a fire. A standard pad setup would have drastically improved most Wii games imo, & the Wii U is far more suited to my tastes in that regard.
    That's the problem. I really dont want to play the next itenerations as the first party franchsies have become stale. I'm certainly not the only long time Nintendo fan that is saying that. The Mario games have become pretty dull and they have gotten unbelievably lazy since NSMB. As I said, I have been bored with every Zelda game since Majora's Mask and I have no intention of getting WindWaker or the next Zelda (unless it is something absolutely spectacular). I find the Smash Bros games a bore (the first one was great though), Pikmin won't be hugely different, and we might get a Donkey Kong game which might be great. But after that, what is there to look forward to? The only thing that is even slightly intersting is a new Mario Kart. But that's it! One or two games!

Well then thats the real kicker for you right there. Its simply not geared for your tastes. I fully agree re NSMB, its a stale & lazy franchise...but Mario Galaxy definitely not. The Wii U is crying out for a new one. Also Zelda, yes it can appear stangnant/stale at times, but the first HD Zelda? If that doesn't appeal to you then buying the Wii U probably wasn't a good move for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I have been bored with every Zelda game since Majora's Mask and I have no intention of getting WindWaker or the next Zelda (unless it is something absolutely spectacular).

How is this possible? They were better than 90% of games released on any other current system.

I have found a certain level of Zelda ennui kicks in if you stop playing for a week or so - you forget how much fun the games are, and it's hard to motivate yourself to want to re-enter the cycle of elemental dungeon - weapon/tool - elemental dungeon - weapon/tool .... final-dungeon - Ganon! for the umpteenth time. The same thing happens with Mario Galaxy - I forget about how stupidly fun the game is when I'm away from it. Then you go back to it and you can't figure out why you ever stopped playing.

Maybe it's because I have 2 daughters with a 3rd on the way - I've had it up to HERE with Princesses :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I have found a certain level of Zelda ennui kicks in if you stop playing for a week or so - you forget how much fun the games are, and it's hard to motivate yourself to want to re-enter the cycle of elemental dungeon - weapon/tool - elemental dungeon - weapon/tool .... final-dungeon - Ganon! for the umpteenth time. The same thing happens with Mario Galaxy - I forget about how stupidly fun the game is when I'm away from it. Then you go back to it and you can't figure out why you ever stopped playing.

Maybe it's because I have 2 daughters with a 3rd on the way - I've had it up to HERE with Princesses :)

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭FreezeUp

The Wii U won't be going up against the next gen consoles any more than the Wii went up against the 360 & PS3. Nintendo are in their own separate bubble these days, its how they've managed to survive the Sony/MS onslaught.

Nintendo ARE competing and THEIR assault tatic is by being different. If you don't think all three are fighting for market share, you are well wrong.

:(

I'm sure he just meant Disney princesses. He knows Nintendo princesses are much cooler. Don't see Disney princesses in many fighting games. :)

I would LOVE a Disney princess fighting game. It would be awesome.
    Belle in her beautiful gold ballgown, pirouetting around the ballroom gracefully before leaping like a salmon onto Ariel, and singing "Be our guest, be our guest, I'll rip your heart out of your chest" while punching through her ribcage. Princess Jasmine weaving snakelike through a bazaar before vaulting a market stall and crushing Tiana's face with her knees. "A whole new woooooorld! A new fantastic reconstructive facial surgery regimen for youuuuu". Meanwhile Cinderella and Auroroa tag team against Pocohontas and Mulan, their pretty petticoats no match for the hail of arrows their opponents unleash. But their glory is shortlived - while Pocahontas scalps Cindy's up-do, Mulan's right eye explodes out of her skull on the end of another arrow. Princess Merida screams "Mend the wound torn by pride" and sets upon Pocahontas with a stone club.
    Etc etc.

The gamer in me is thinking Smash Bros
    The perv in me is crying "Mortal Kombat meets Battle Raper"
    There has to be a middle ground....

Dunno what's more disturbing: The fact you know of a game called Battle Raper or that you used the word "pirouetting".

Sure the whole game would be pointless, since we know Rapunzel would kick all their asses.

Frying pans! Who knew?
    :D

FreezeUp wrote: »
    Nintendo ARE competing and THEIR assault tatic is by being different. If you don't think all three are fighting for market share, you are well wrong.

I never said THEY weren't competing.
    Yes their TACTIC is different.
    Yes they are FIGHTING for a market share.

But to say the Wii is a competitor to the PS3 isn't quite accurate, its a generation or two behind the others in terms of hardware, yet managed to capture a huge market share. I'd say the Wii U will be the same, it'll be dwarfed by the power of the next gen consoles, hell its already got outdated tech, but it will capture market share once it hits its stride.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

I don't know, I'm really disappointed with the wii u so far. It's just sad to have such a cool machine, and nothing to do with it. It's frustrating that the only upcoming game that looks any good is Windwaker - which we have on the gamecube! Oh pikmin.... please tell me it's new, and not one of the old ones dolled up?

One of the major selling points of the Wii U is the use of a second screen during gameplay. However, there are murmurings that the Vita will be bundled with the PS4

No chance, sure they already unveiled the controller, and it's the not the Vita. Anyhow, I doubt they're that desperate to ape anything about the Wii U.
    It's sad but it looks like Nintendo have a massive battle on their hands, one that is going to be very tough to win come 2014.

It already says something about how expansive the Wii U's library of games is likely to be when of three big upcoming releases - Pikmin 3, W101, and G&W - two are cartoonish takes on the RTS genre and the third is the second mini-game compilation Nintendo will have put out for their new console. Might all turn out to be fine games, but it's not exactly offering the consumer a wide choice.

This is the big problem. Wii U is so reliant on first party titles and a meagre selection of 2nd and 3rd party ones that if the latest release doesn't float your boat, well, there isn't really going to be much in the way of other options. And it's weird seeing people bigging up future titles like Bayonetta 2 (of which we've really seen nothing so far, and which has no release date) when PS3 and 360 gamers can play Metal Gear Rising right now.

The Wii U won't really be a good alternative to owning a PS4 or 720, and as a complementary platform, there is no real killer app on the horizon at the moment. It can be turned around, but there should be no doubt that its future is in no sense secure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

I pay literally no attention to review scores these days, & its quite incredible how gamers these days let reviewers make their minds up for them

5509454965_20520c4615_b.jpg

Sounds as if it's been very poorly-optimised, with incredibly long loadtimes - bit of a dealbreaker with an open world game.

Remember though it's quite a recent development in Nintendoland (the nominal metaphysical state that all Nintendites live in, not the minigame collection) that gamers can make up their own minds. There were no Demos on the NES, SNES, N64, NGC, and they were pretty late coming to the Wii, DS and 3DS. So what did you do then, spend €30-60 so you could make up your own mind or read a few other peoples' opinions first and try to read between the lines so you ended up with more Jet Force Geminis and fewer Star Fox Adventureses?

My system is simple. I let myself get carried away by the hype, then have no money when the game is released, and if I'm still interested when it drops below €20 I pick it up in a HMV sale. My system is currently closed for refurbishment.

Would be interested to see where Edge and Eurogamer's opinions differ, or more importantly where they don't but their subsequent marking does... suspect the lack of multiplayer, frame rate, draw distance and load times are going to lose it marks with certain publications.

Remember though it's quite a recent development in Nintendoland (the nominal metaphysical state that all Nintendites live in, not the minigame collection) that gamers can make up their own minds. There were no Demos on the NES, SNES, N64, NGC, and they were pretty late coming to the Wii, DS and 3DS. So what did you do then, spend €30-60 so you could make up your own mind or read a few other peoples' opinions first and try to read between the lines so you ended up with more Jet Force Geminis and fewer Star Fox Adventureses?

True enough. I used to rent games out back in the day though to see if I liked them. I enjoyed reading game mags & reviews too don't get me wrong, but far too often - even these days - I find I'll like a game thats slated in reviews, or I'll hate a game thats lauded as amazing. Maybe my tastes are just different, but to buy or not to buy never rested with someone elses opinions for me

So is the 'multiplayer' in Chasing Aurora the same as in Tank Tank Tank....ie its all locally based?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

Had a bit too much to drink last night and woke up this morning to find I'd bought Batman (17.99) and Need for Speed Most Wanted (49.99) on amazon. Oh drat! :)

• Advertisement

Are non-1st party WiiU games shipping with Club Nintendo points, like on 3DS or is it 1st-party only, like on the Wii and GC?

Edit : Far as I can tell from reviews, Chasing Aurora is local multiplayer only. The dynamics rely on only one player having the benefit of the controller screen, so not sure it would work as a network multiplayer game regardless of any technological barriers.

Advertisement