Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

Downloading the mk8 DLC now but won't get a chance to play it until after the kids bedtime....could be a long night!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47 PedroBear

smokingman wrote: »
    Downloading the mk8 DLC now but won't get a chance to play it until after the kids bedtime....could be a long night!

Would you not play MK8 with your kids?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Got it earlier, hadn't room on my basic, so had to move all MK8 saves to my external HDD. When I went back in, alot of my won trophies had disappeared :confused::mad: Either the new DLC or the move screwed something up.

Ah well, finished Captain Toad earlier so can dedicate some proper hours to MK now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

Corholio wrote: »
    Anybody still looking for the Official Gamecube Adaptor for Smash?
    Ya I'm still looking, have you seen it for sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

how long should the DLC take to download on a UPC 100meg horizons box? mine has been downloading for an hour and not even a quarter way through,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

PedroBear wrote: »
    Would you not play MK8 with your kids?

Oh, I do, but bedtime is bedtime in this house. They're going to love baby park! It's absolutely mental! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

safetyboy wrote: »
    how long should the DLC take to download on a UPC 100meg horizons box? mine has been downloading for an hour and not even a quarter way through,

Took me about 10 minutes on wifi from horizon box although it's 240mb

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Ya I'm still looking, have you seen it for sale?

I ordered one on Amazon months ago when it was 'awaiting stock' and forgot about it. Got it delivered this week and by now I wouldn't use it enough to do it justice, haven't even opened it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Frikkin hell Mario Kart is epic online. You guys getting a league or tournament going?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Frikkin hell Mario Kart is epic online. You guys getting a league or tournament going?

Count me in.

• Advertisement

Corholio wrote: »
    Anybody still looking for the Official Gamecube Adaptor for Smash?

Bought the Hori controller and have to say it's great. €20 on French Amazon but no doubt proper SSB players will tell me it's shi*e, it's fine for me though, i.e. I suck.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,677 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

<snip>

Mod edit - This isn't adverts. No selling, offering or enquiring about sales please!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

iamtony wrote: »
    Took me about 10 minutes on wifi from horizon box although it's 240mb

Had to leave it downloading over night. tried 3 times too, got to about 90% after 2 hours then stopped.

What way have you the wifi set up on Horizons? Ive tried every different combo of channels and bands

• Registered Users Posts: 5,466 ✭✭✭Nollog

The wireless ins't 240mbit, your internet is.

The wireless is probably around 30mbit/s if you're lucky.

Also, Nintendo servers are absolute trash, like most console's servers. Just more so, since it's not subsidised.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Concannon7

Hey guys I have been gaming since I was a kid but have never owned a Nintendo console other than the old Game Boy. Have a PS4 and while I'm happy with it, other than GTA5 I haven't found many more games on the system that have excited me.

I want something different. The WiiU looks awesome. But for the uninitiated where is the best place online to buy a WiiU? Also as I don't have much of a clue about Nintendo games, whats the first must have game I should buy? Other than Mario Kart. I say that because I'm not really into racing games. I feel like I'm missing out by never owning a Nintendo console and I want to get one now. Any advice is very welcome.

If you don't know what games you want, I'd think more about it.
    My favourite wii u games have been the eShop ones, monster hunter, mario kart, and bayonetta.

Best place to buy online would be whoever's cheapest at the time. Check the bargain thread every few days or so would be my advice.
    I think there's a console with yoshi's wooly world and smash bros at the moment, I saw it brittlely on hotukdeals, that seems like a decent deal.
    http://store.nintendo.co.uk/games-wii-u/wii-u-yoshi-s-woolly-world-super-smash-bros-pack/11109926.html

As for which model to get, which is a super-popular question: White, if it's cheaper.
    The 32G black model doesn't really have anything beneficial, but by all means if you prefer the colour.
    If you plan on downloading anything, get a usb drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

As you're based in Ireland (like most of us) you can't actually order online from that store.nintendo.co.uk link. They refuse to ship to Ireland, and cancel the order if you enter a parcel motel or similar forwarding address.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

Yoshi's Woolly World isn't out until June so that pack won't deliver until then. Argos have a premium console with 2 games available for €280 - http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3911031.htm . Zelda Wind Waker is a fantastic game. The best game on the console (in my opinion) is Super Mario 3D World. Pikmin 3 and Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze are two others I'd highly recommend, although DKC is a difficult game.

If you want to try older Nintendo games, there are plenty of Virtual Console downloadable titles available. Zelda: Link to the Past and Super Metroid are (again in my opinion) must plays. Super Mario World and Super Mario 64 are also available.

Also don't forget the Wii U can play any Wii games you missed (if you get the required controllers). Metroid Prime Trilogy and Super Mario Galaxy are where I would start with those.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

The Metroid Prime Trilogy can be pretty hard (and thus, expensive) to find these days, but it's also available as a digital download from the Wii U eshop for 20 of your eurons. (Think that's the price anyway)

Star Lord wrote: »
    The Metroid Prime Trilogy can be pretty hard (and thus, expensive) to find these days, but it's also available as a digital download from the Wii U eshop for 20 of your eurons. (Think that's the price anyway)

Yep, I wouldn't recommend it if you still had to find a disc version. It's a bargain for €20, three great games.

• Advertisement

Concannon7 wrote: »
    Hey guys I have been gaming since I was a kid but have never owned a Nintendo console other than the old Game Boy. Have a PS4 and while I'm happy with it, other than GTA5 I haven't found many more games on the system that have excited me.

I want something different. The WiiU looks awesome. But for the uninitiated where is the best place online to buy a WiiU? Also as I don't have much of a clue about Nintendo games, whats the first must have game I should buy? Other than Mario Kart. I say that because I'm not really into racing games. I feel like I'm missing out by never owning a Nintendo console and I want to get one now. Any advice is very welcome.

The white one in Argos is €200 and you can get Super Mario Bros. with it for €15. That's what I went for anyway, plus you can grab a 64gb usb for less than €30.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9128835/Trail/searchtext%3EWII+U.htm#

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?pp=20&s=Price%3A+Low+-+High&storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&q=64GB&authToken=

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Concannon7

Yeah between those links and the other one posted above Argos seems to have some really good deals.

Also if I wanted to get Super Mario Bros U and Super Mario World 3D, the latter should be my first choice, yes? Both seem to have got really good ratings.

Thanks for all the help guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Concannon7 wrote: »
    Yeah between those links and the other one posted above Argos seems to have some really good deals.

Also if I wanted to get Super Mario Bros U and Super Mario World 3D, the latter should be my first choice, yes? Both seem to have got really good ratings.

Thanks for all the help guys.
    IMO both games are fantastic. worth every penny

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

They're not mutually exclusive either. World 3D is much more along the lines of Galaxy, Sunshine or 64 - a mix of 3D platforming, some forced 2D sections and a lot of clever ideas - It's also very family friendly, at least for the first few worlds, with the off-screen Bubbling effect making it easy for mam/dad to use their kids of any age as an excuse to play a game, then drag them along through the level without them being too much of a liability. Bros U is more of a HD facelift for the original NES/SNES Mario Bros 2D games, with a difficulty curve to match. It's a younger man's game, full of precision jumps and frustrating death and damn these gnarled old hands moments.

That said, unless you are completely adverse to having fun, I wouldn't get both of those at the expense of Mariokart being your 2nd, if only for variety's sake.

Banjo sums them up pretty well. Personally, I think 3d World is a much better game. I did enjoyed U, it is the best of the New Mario series but I may have been a little jaded on it when playing it. The game lacks in variety compared to 3d World. If you want a 2d platformer, though, I don't think there is anything better.

I don't agree with the "frustrating death" comment, it's a very fair game. Personally, I never found any difficulty in it :pac: 3d World has the toughest Mario level I can think of in it and I've played them all (including Lost Levels).

tbh I would pay full whack for 3d world and buy mariokart... if you want a 2d mario fix pay 13 euro on eshop for mariobros 3 and super mario world... two absolutely fantastic games for 13 euro.....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,634 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I vote Mario Kart & 3D World.

This is the first Nintendo console on which I prefer Mario Kart to actual Mario.

Half because MK 8 is the best thing ever, half because of Mario fatigue (especially side scrolling Mario).

And half because I don't like cats. (The house ones. Lions and Tigers are sh*t cool.)

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I vote Mario Kart & 3D World.

This is the first Nintendo console on which I prefer Mario Kart to actual Mario.

Half because MK 8 is the best thing ever, half because of Mario fatigue (especially side scrolling Mario).

And half because I don't like cats. (The house ones. Lions and Tigers are sh*t cool.)
    mario cat suits are ****ing amazing.... one of the coolest mario suits in any mario game.

Star Lord wrote: »
    As you're based in Ireland (like most of us) you can't actually order online from that store.nintendo.co.uk link. They refuse to ship to Ireland, and cancel the order if you enter a parcel motel or similar forwarding address.

Oh yeah, I've never used them so didn't realise.

Have heard some of you maybe talking about parcel motel orders being hit and miss from them though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

I'm watching the Xenoblade Chronicles X Treehouse at the moment - the game looks gigantic.

Advertisement