Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Pay €15 for a toy that lets you play a very old game for 2 minutes. Yay?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Mr E wrote: »

Eh, it's 3 minutes, thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

safetyboy wrote: »

If that's true it's only right imo.

Some will argue about where's the challenge etc. ie finish with all gold cups to unlock etc.

Well f that is what I say. I have limited gaming time.

All well and good when your a youngster with loads of time on your hands etc but I don't and I want to play 200cc without wasting days finishing gold cups.

So yeah to summarise about time Nintendo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Mr E wrote: »

its just advertising in fairness.

A tease if you will.

If I bought an amiibo I'd probably get stung buying a game as if frustrated with only the 3 mins play.

Clever by Nintendo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Just installed its true alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Playtonic's 'Yooka-Laylee' Kickstarter has been funded in an incredible 39 minutes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Corholio wrote: »
    Playtonic's 'Yooka-Laylee' Kickstarter has been funded in an incredible 39 minutes.

And I was one of them!
    Come on the WiiU version!

For anyone who remembers playing Banjo-Kazooie this should be a beautiful thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

its just advertising in fairness.

A tease if you will.

If I bought an amiibo I'd probably get stung buying a game as if frustrated with only the 3 mins play.

Clever by Nintendo.

Your amiibo unlocks one of 20 or 30 games randomly (eg my yoshi unlocks fzero, your yoshi unlocks super Mario bros. Or metroid. Its not defined), and your specific amiibo is then bound to that random unlock forever. You need all the amiibo to play all the demo games. If you own all the amiibo you are already psychotically dedicated. The demos are not a patch on your Day 1 mint Famicom. This app is not for you.

Casual Amiibites on the other hand get 1 or maybe 2 demos. Dick move by Nintendo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I don't think I'll bother with the unlocking thing as I own all of the unlockable titles already, in their original formats.
    But it is a nice extra for those who don't, and a clever bit of advertising by Ninty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Heres some footage if it.

Its very banjo kazooie even the music!

Same guys doing the music as well.
    I'm just hoping the gameplay doesn't feel quite as retro.
    Rare did those collect'em ups to death back in the day.
    I preferred their other content, Diddy Kong Racing and Conker for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Yooka-Laylee is just about to cross the £1m mark which will mean day 1 Wii U release!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

on twitter theres is chance to Kirby game for wiiu Kirby pushy

wampyrus77 wrote: »
    on twitter theres is chance to Kirby game for wiiu Kirby pushy

What now?
    Kirby and the Rainbow Curse?
    It's out shortly.

Anyone who pre-orders Splatoon at GAME will also be endowed with this....
    splatoon_hat.jpg?44d51a

splatoon_hat.jpg?44d51a

I know as a 43 year old man is look a right twit in that hat but I still want it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,466 ✭✭✭Nollog

splatoon_hat.jpg?44d51a
    CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I know as a 43 year old man is look a right twit in that hat but I still want it!

A man walks down the street in a hat like that, people know he's not afraid of anything.

That makes me regret having already preordered Splatoon!

• Advertisement

/\/ollog wrote: »
    A man walks down the street in a hat like that, people know he's not afraid of anything.

cunninghat.jpg

Shiny!

Amiibo Tap n Go is such a missed opportunity. My 2 Amiibos unlocked Super Mario World and Super Mario Bros - 2 games I already own and have downloaded to that WiiU. In what way is that rewarding Amiibo purchase, incentivising future amiibo purchase or doing anything other than pissing me off? The idea is kind of cool in principle, but it's so lazy, so short sighted and with so little consideration for who they're rewarding and how... Would make more sense for them to let you download a full VC title from the selection every few Amiibos (or every Amiibo, it's digital, the VC conversion work is already done - ie the cost overheads are minimal - and you're targeting hoarders so appeal to their collector-itis. I put the hyphen in there because if you remove it, well maybe it's just me but it did not look like the word I wanted to write.)

Anyway, HMV in Liffey Valley had €190ish WiiU 32GB bundles in the window on Saturday and a bunch of titles marked with discount stickers (I wasn't clear on whether you took the discount percentage off the displayed price or it was already included. If the former, they have decent prices on LoZ Link Between Worlds (~€18), ZombiU, Assassin's Creed 3 (between 5 and 7 each I think) and a couple of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,557 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Banjo wrote: »
    Shiny!

Amiibo Tap n Go is such a missed opportunity. My 2 Amiibos unlocked Super Mario World and Super Mario Bros - 2 games I already own and have downloaded to that WiiU. In what way is that rewarding Amiibo purchase, incentivising future amiibo purchase or doing anything other than pissing me off? The idea is kind of cool in principle, but it's so lazy, so short sighted and with so little consideration for who they're rewarding and how... Would make more sense for them to let you download a full VC title from the selection every few Amiibos (or every Amiibo, it's digital, the VC conversion work is already done - ie the cost overheads are minimal - and you're targeting hoarders so appeal to their collector-itis. I put the hyphen in there because if you remove it, well maybe it's just me but it did not look like the word I wanted to write.)

Anyway, HMV in Liffey Valley had €190ish WiiU 32GB bundles in the window on Saturday and a bunch of titles marked with discount stickers (I wasn't clear on whether you took the discount percentage off the displayed price or it was already included. If the former, they have decent prices on LoZ Link Between Worlds (~€18), ZombiU, Assassin's Creed 3 (between 5 and 7 each I think) and a couple of others.

The discount wasnt added, so LoZ Link between Worlds was indeed only 18 squid and Kid Icarus was available for 15 also. Good prices,

My Yoshi amiibo unlocked Super Mario World.

One of the about 5 VC games I own on Wii and Wii U and probably 3DS I assume if it was released on it.

It confused me too. I thought they wanted to advertise VC games to people, not give them tiny bits of a game they already own.
    Then I thought, well it's Yoshi, there's not much else that would link him to other games.
    If it just unlocked a random game every day that you don't already own, it'd work though.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

It's a random game for every amiibo you register with it. So your Yoshi unlocks Super Mario World for you, it could unlock something else for another user, and any other time you use it it'll unlock another part of Super Mario World. (Think they have about 5 different parts of each game)

Yeah, there's something like 9 "scenes" in SMW I think, which is just 9 starting points for 3 or 4 minutes of whatever you can achieve - not sure what the limitations are but Scene 1 is the start of the game, but if you run like fun you can start the next level and get a decent chunk through it. Presumably if the other scenes are later in the game you have much more options open to you if you know your way around.

Still a missed opportunity - they're selling the VC to people who already likely own VC games, then not targeting the gaps in their library sensibly. Smacks of a really quick "cool idea bro" green-light without any of Ninty's normal care and attention going into the execution. Taking their back catalogue and the benign but severe mental condition required to successfully collect a lot of amiibos, I'd like to have seen them give you a random VC Gatcha that gives you a free copy of a random game from the pool. Which, as a mental collector you probably already own so you'll probably give it to someone else, spreading the Ninty love. They could make sure that it doesn't become an internet free-for-all by making that person scan your Amiibo on their WiiU to activate it, so you can only pass them on to real-world friends. Maybe even build in something where you get a kick-back when that friend purchases their first amiibo and scans it or something... Amiibo Ambassadors!

Anyone ever pre-ordered a game on the Smyths website? I have a nagging feeling I used the last of my christmas funds to drunk-order Splatoon with the Squid dude a few weeks ago, but I have nothing in my account on the site to back that up. Should there be?

Nintendo seem to miss the mark a lot.

Realistically Amiibo Tap is aimed at kids who bought Amiibo but have never played any classic Nintendo games.

Then they need to sort out the supply chain issues or make the Amiibo unlock a different random game every day. How's a child going to get all 30-ish amiibos? Pester Power only works if the item is available for sale for longer than the parent's willpower can hold out, and most Amiibos don't ever touch a shelf before they're bought...

This thread is turning into "I have a chip on my shoulder about Amiibo - General Discussion". Sorry :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,144 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Anyone watching the Splatoon Direct at 3 today? I'm interested in seeing how much there is to the single player

Advertisement