Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

Maybe I'll work through lunch and make a run for it when no one's looking. Does the download take long?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

smokingman wrote: »
    by the way; how did people get the super special weapons? specifically that swirling paint column of death!

you have a green meter for paint you put down on the top right and when its full hold down the R control and aim it then let go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

smokingman wrote: »
    Right so, day one purchase for me so. After that hour, I'm buying into this.
    Noticed the paint not going down at times, seemed like Splotoons version of lag identification.
    Left the motion controls on as the 5 year old wanted a go and he bends his neck down enough looking at an ipad - motion controls are good for posture; news just in...
    Kinda enjoyed the accuracy but would like to play with the sensitivity a bit.

That, sirs and ladies, was a lot of fun!

by the way; how did people get the super special weapons? specifically that swirling paint column of death!

If you cover enough in paint/build up enough points without dying your character will glisten. Once this happens click down on the R stick.

There's a meter top right to show how close you are to unlocking it.

Which one you get depends on your weapon.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Didn't get a chance to try it yet, but I see no mention of voice control (or lack thereof). Doesn't look like it was missed. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,140 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I noticed as well that the special ability gauge doesn't decrease or go back to zero if you get splatted, which is a good thing since splatting happens a lot.

For now, I don't think voice matters too much as long as you keep an eye on the map and notice where needs covering. For one of the maps (can't remember the name) there's a big square at the top and rectangle at the bottom which seem to be key to winning that match.

Treehouse feed for anyone interested
    http://mynintendonews.com/2015/05/09/check-out-nintendo-treehouse-live-with-splatoon-global-testfire/

I'm not an online player usually but I can see me changing for this since it seems there's not a steep learning curve. You get the feel of it after a few matches so you don't feel completely useless like other games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Will there be a local 2 player mode?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

safetyboy wrote: »
    Will there be a local 2 player mode?

Yes, but it's a "burst the most balloons" mode

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭Well_H0ly_God

What a nightmare for reviewers...

The game has been shipped with what looks to be only 25% of it's content.... :(

Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

I'm really looking forward to 8pm so I can get another hour with Splatoon!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Source?

I think it's more his own opinion and an attempt to generate contention, when in fact the game is looking like it will be well supported with post release content.

I think they're referring to the way the game is being released with a certain amount of content and then is being updated regularly after that. I quite like that as an approach as I like reasons to go back to games (especially considering all the update are free). It also builds up a little more goodwill toward them if they do eventually release some paid DLC.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Extra content to a game doesn't mean that it would have been initial content in the first place, in that case all DLC is a % of a full game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Corholio wrote: »
    Extra content to a game doesn't mean that it would have been initial content in the first place, in that case all DLC is a % of a full game.

I think there is a vast difference between a game like Drive Club, being released with much of the game features missing, with customers being expectee to wait months for things the game was sold upon to be patched in, and the likes of Mario Kart, which was sold complete with early patching only adding Amiibo support upon their release and later adding new tracks and karts, in addition to the expected content.

From the recent reports from Nintendo it seems they are not finished with MK8 or SSB in terms of new content and Splatoon will be gaining similar measures to ensure it's appeal beyond the immediate launch window.

Perhaps Battle Arenas in MK8 will emerge as some sort of tie in with Splatoon, who knows.
    Thing is that if the likes of MK8, SSB and, one assumes, Splatoon are released with nothing beyond their launch package they are still outstanding games, the DLC only adds to their appeal.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Perhaps Battle Arenas in MK8 will emerge as some sort of tie in with Splatoon, who knows.

That's a great idea actually. Some of the Splatoon maps would make for great Mario Kart Battle Mode maps with a little reworking.

I think it's more his own opinion and an attempt to generate contention, when in fact the game is looking like it will be well supported with post release content.

It seems to me that certain standards are held for certain studios with exceptions being held for others and it's not right nor fair.

Everybody needs to be held to the same framework. If Nintendo release a game like Mario Kart 8 which has sufficient content and garners a 60 Euro price tag then fair enough and they deserve to be patted on the back depending on the quality of the products content at launch.

If Activision released Call of Duty Black Ops 3 this November with 4 maps and 2 games modes requiring a price of 60 Euro with a promise that the other content will come at some later date then they would be crucified and rightly so. So why does Nintendo get a pass?

It seems the utmost of hypocrisy to me.

Killing Floor 2 released two weeks ago on Steam's Early Access facility with content that has yet to come however they're not asking the colour of 60 Euro for it. Not even half that....

And yet when Nintendo release 25% of Splatoon with a promise that the rest of the games content will come at some point further "down the line" - content which we have absolutely no idea what will be - it's somehow okay?

Laughable.

If Nintendo do a good job, then they deserve to be praised. If not, then they deserve to be held to the exact same standards as everyone else.

Wouldn't you agree, CiDeRmAn?

That's a great idea actually. Some of the Splatoon maps would make for great Mario Kart Battle Mode maps with a little reworking.

Unfortunately Nintendo don't listen to me :(
    I even sent an email a few years ago looking for the Virtual Boy back catalogue to be made available via Virtual Console or cart for the 3DS, I got a very nice reply but ultimately they don't take game idea submissions from the great unwashed like me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

And yet when Nintendo release 25% of Splatoon with a promise that the rest of the games content will come at some point further "down the line" - content which we have absolutely no idea what will be - it's somehow okay?

Laughable.

If Nintendo do a good job, then they deserve to be praised. If not, then they deserve to be held to the exact same standards as everyone else.

if you have a source for these figures, mention it, because at the minute it looks like you're pulling figures out of the air in an effort to troll.

It seems to me that certain standards are held for certain studios with exceptions being held for others and it's not right nor fair.

Everybody needs to be held to the same framework. If Nintendo release a game like Mario Kart 8 which has sufficient content and garners a 60 Euro price tag then fair enough and they deserve to be patted on the back depending on the quality of the products content at launch.

If Activision released Call of Duty Black Ops 3 this November with 4 maps and 2 games modes requiring a price of 60 Euro with a promise that the other content will come at some later date then they would be crucified and rightly so. So why does Nintendo get a pass?

It seems the utmost of hypocrisy to me.

Killing Floor 2 released two weeks ago on Steam's Early Access facility with content that has yet to come however they're not asking the colour of 60 Euro for it. Not even half that....

Laughable.

As said, Nintendo have done a fine job with MK8, SSB and Hyrule Warriors, none of those games missing a thing with the DLC only adding to their enjoyment and being good value to boot.
    I have yet to see a news outlet or player say otherwise.
    Last time I checked Nintendo haven't released Splatoon yet and review copies, without the internet server infrastructure to properly support the online features yet, could hardly represent the package we will be getting in three weeks time.

I think I already referred to the model Drive Club used, release a glorified beta then patch it into playability later, but Nintendo certainly haven't done that at all with their releases

Never mind.
    Nintendo, by any metric, are doing a good job.
    If they weren't I would be the first to say it.

But don't let that stop you from trying to generate some sort if conflict on this thread, if that's how you choose to get your kicks, and be aware that there will always be more sensible people to call you on it when you do.

Star Lord wrote: »
    if you have a source for these figures, mention it, because at the minute it looks like you're pulling figures out of the air in an effort to troll.

Come on Star Lord - at least attempt to debate the issue at hand instead of looking for reasons to ban me. Splatoon has released with 4 maps and 2 game modes for 60Euro.

• Advertisement

As said, Nintendo have done a fine job with MK8, SSB and Hyrule Warriors, none of those games missing a thing with the DLC only adding to their enjoyment and being good value to boot.
    I have yet to see a news outlet or player say otherwise.
    Last time I checked Nintendo haven't released Splatoon yet and review copies, without the internet server infrastructure to properly support the online features yet, could hardly represent the package we will be getting in three weeks time.

I think I already referred to the model Drive Club used, release a glorified beta then patch it into playability later, but Nintendo certainly haven't done that at all with their releases

Have you visited Reddit or Neogaf lately?
    Nintendo, by any metric, are doing a good job.
    If they weren't I would be the first to say it.

Good to hear it.
    But don't let that stop you from trying to generate some sort if conflict on this thread, if that's how you choose to get your kicks, and be aware that there will always be more sensible people to call you on it when you do.

If Nintendo make the right decisions, I'll be the first to say it. If they don't, I'll be the first to say it. I'll hold everyone to the exact same standards. I'm glad we both agree on that.

Do not argue mod instructions on thread. Do this again and you will be banned.
    Switching accounts does not wipe your history of trolling either, your history is taken into account.

Come on Star Lord - at least attempt to debate the issue at hand instead of looking for reasons to ban me. Splatoon has released with 4 maps and 2 game modes for 60Euro.

Splatoon hasn't been released yet, not until the end of the month.
    Also, reddit and neogaf are hardly news outlets, simply a pair of forums, with little more legitimacy than Boards.
    Regarding the number of maps, you shouldn't compare CoD with Splatoon, hardly the same kind of game.
    No, I'd suggest you wait for the games release before passing judgement rather than doing so based on third party information gained from an internet forum.

Also, Splatoon is costing about 44.99 to 50 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Looking forward to another bash at splatoon!! i might try the motion controls this time

Splatoon has released with 4 maps and 2 game modes for 60Euro.

It's released? And there I was planning on getting it at release. Thought we had to wait til the 29th when we can get it in Smyths for €49.99 or online for cheaper.

Yes Nintendo are releasing DLC after the launch to add more modes. But they're releasing the game with single player and multiplayer with free DLC to follow. It's not like they're saying they'll be releasing a game with lots of bugs and patching it later like Drive Club, Assassin's Creed Unity or Master Chief Collection, from what I read. They're upfront about the content, so people can decide if they want to get it at release or when all DLC has been released.

They're giving people an informed choice and I see no problem with that. Imagine if the developers of the above 3 games did that. They may actually have less critics.

I'm one of the people who wasn't sure about getting Splatoon, but now having played the beta and knowing about the post release content I plan on getting it at or near release

I've preordered Splatoon for 38 euro delivered and I'm extremely happy with that decision. More so after playing it for an hour today.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    It's released? And there I was planning on getting it at release. Thought we had to wait til the 29th when we can get it in Smyths for €49.99 or online for cheaper.

Yes Nintendo are releasing DLC after the launch to add more modes. But they're releasing the game with single player and multiplayer with free DLC to follow. It's not like they're saying they'll be releasing a game with lots of bugs and patching it later like Drive Club, Assassin's Creed Unity or Master Chief Collection, from what I read. They're upfront about the content, so people can decide if they want to get it at release or when all DLC has been released.

They're giving people an informed choice and I see no problem with that. Imagine if the developers of the above 3 games did that. They may actually have less critics

Why are they releasing a game that's not even half finished?

This isn't ordinary DLC - this issue regards a large portion of content that should be in the base game at launch and charging full price for it now. I've no problem with releasing games in this manner - Killing Floor 2 did it as I said and I was happy enough to hand over money for this Early Access however if Nintendo wish to release a game in this manner then release it for the same price as other games that do so in this manner - 25 to 30 Euro.

I've preordered Splatoon for 38 euro delivered and I'm extremely happy with that decision. More so after playing it for an hour today.

That's a good deal. Well done.

There aren't any reviews of the finished game out there yet are there? To that end adding in single player and releasing maps later on for free seems pretty damn good to me, regardless.

• Advertisement

Why are they releasing a game that's not even half finished?

This isn't ordinary DLC - this issue regards a large portion of content that should be in the base game at launch and charging full price for it now. I've no problem with releasing games in this manner - Killing Floor 2 did it as I said and I was happy enough to hand over money for this Early Access however if Nintendo wish to release a game in this manner then release it for the same price as other games that do so in this manner - 25 to 30 Euro.

So you want them to release the game now for less money and still release free DLC in the immediate aftermath? Or are you saying they should then charge for that DLC? And comparing to Killing Floor 2? Why not compare to the games I mentioned which were released at full price even though people said they were noticeably broken? And we know console games are more expensive than PC games with most being about a tenner more.

And if Nintendo felt the game was worth a cheaper price they would charge it as we've seen with games like Captain Toad which were released for cheaper than something like Mario Kart.

And just to ask, where are you seeing that it's not even half finished? This is the first I'm reading of it

Advertisement