Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

He read it on a forum somewhere.
    I'd rather take the word of the people who have played it today, and are telling us that the game seems superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

DAY 1! Holy sh*t this is fun. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

My favourite slightly trolly thing to do is follow right behind somebody with a roller with my own roller undoing everything they're doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

roll on may 29th! cant wait for 4v4 boards match!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Its absolutely fantastic fun. Its amazing how the concept just.....works. Its great once you get used to turning into the squid and swimming through the ink to move up the map faster. That bloody roller though, got flattened by it a fair few times. Map is set out well on the Gamepad too, so just a quick look can let you know the progress. Definitely made my mind up to get it after that.

• Advertisement

Yeah me too.

I can't remember the last time a game made me giddy, but the last hour made me feel exactly that. I didn't want to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,140 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I nearly always seemed to start on the same side of the map.

Spent the last 5 minutes messing around in the tutorial since wasn't kicked out of it at 9.

Just as a matter of interest, anyone have any issues. I just couldn't connect a couple times but then got it after retrying again right away. So looks like the servers held up pretty well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Tried the motion controls there and didnt like it, such a fun game. It's a classic already.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I just spent half an hour in the company of Splatoon and it was great fun, can't wait for its release on the 29th.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

I gave the motion control another try and it went out of sync, leading to lots of pointing down. Might turn that off when I get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Kinda sad I missed out on the fun......but its only 3 weeks till release so will have to struggle onwards till then.

As to the amount of content, I will take 5 good maps and 2 thought out game-modes over a dozen maps where 7 or 8 are ignored as the community picks their "favourites" and game-modes that never get played out of TDM and CTF. Depends how quickly people get tired and crave new stuff.

As food for thought, TF2 launched with 6 maps and 3 game-modes (one of which was playable on one map only, Hydro). If Ninty have set 3 months as their deadline for more content (end of May launch - August for the friend team update mentioned in the directs).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

It seems to me that certain standards are held for certain studios with exceptions being held for others and it's not right nor fair.

Everybody needs to be held to the same framework. If Nintendo release a game like Mario Kart 8 which has sufficient content and garners a 60 Euro price tag then fair enough and they deserve to be patted on the back depending on the quality of the products content at launch.

If Activision released Call of Duty Black Ops 3 this November with 4 maps and 2 games modes requiring a price of 60 Euro with a promise that the other content will come at some later date then they would be crucified and rightly so. So why does Nintendo get a pass?

No they wouldn't. Call of Duty basically does do that without any outrage, it's just that instead of giving the maps out for free later on, they charge a king's ransom for it. Assassin's Creed's backlash was not because of lack of content, it was because the game did not work. There's a difference between not including all of the final levels and not having the existing content run properly. Also, GTA 5 launched at full price with no multiplayer mod at all and while there was a small bit of grumbling, almost nobody cared one bit.

This is much more akin to a Telltale games episodic release.
    Killing Floor 2 released two weeks ago on Steam's Early Access facility with content that has yet to come however they're not asking the colour of 60 Euro for it. Not even half that....

Killing Floor is an indie game, it's never going to cost €60. While we're here I should point out that neither is Splatoon since the RRP is €50. What they are currently charging is likely to be the final price when it is finished. They are charging the full price of the game upfront, just as Nintendo are.

In addition to that, their game is, by their own admission, not in it's finished state and is expected to still contain plenty of bugs, unlike Splatoon which is simply not including all the levels.
    And yet when Nintendo release 25% of Splatoon with a promise that the rest of the games content will come at some point further "down the line" - content which we have absolutely no idea what will be - it's somehow okay?

I don't know where you get the 25% figure from or how that compares to the amount of content in current edition of Killing Floor 2 but you seem quite content with those developers setting a development time that will go on "Until it’s done..." (again, from their own Steam page). If anyone is guilty of holding some developers to different standards here, it's you.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭superMarco

I've pre order the splatoon pack from smyths, and they said they would have it on the 29th. But I will pick it up myself instead of having it sent. I was wondering if it was a possibility that they would have a day or two before ? Did that happened before with this store ?
    Because I might not be able to pick it up from the 29 to the 31... and since they don't hold item more than a day... I don't want to be ****ed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

superMarco wrote: »
    I've pre order the splatoon pack from smyths, and they said they would have it on the 29th. But I will pick it up myself instead of having it sent. I was wondering if it was a possibility that they would have a day or two before ? Did that happened before with this store ?
    Because I might not be able to pick it up from the 29 to the 31... and since they don't hold item more than a day... I don't want to be ****ed :(

It says on the website "Your order will be available for 2 days following the date of order."

Was thinking about ordering it myself. Might drop in on my way home tomorrow.

Edit: it'd be nice if they opened later than 6... I can see myself running from the luas on Grafton St. on Friday to make it before closing, ha

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Q7: At the financial results briefing 6 months ago, you said that you would consider removing region-locking in response to a question asking about it. Could you please provide an update on the progress of that deliberation?

A7: Iwata: Removing region-locking from current game machines presents various issues, so we don't consider that to be very realistic. However, regarding NX, given the customer feedback and proposals from the market, while nothing has been decided yet, we're currently investigating internally what problems there would be in realizing it. You can think of that as the current situation. I understand your desire, so I'd like to look at it optimistically going forward.

Hopefully the NX will do away with the region locking, biggest thing that annoys me with Nintendo products.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭Well_H0ly_God

Xenji wrote: »
    Hopefully the NX will do away with the region locking, biggest thing that annoys me with Nintendo products.

The reason this is still "a thing" is that they're engaging in protectionism because games outside certain countries are cheaper and they don't want you playing them.

The problem is that they're stopping you from gaining access to Japan's library of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Another reason is to better gauge how many copies are bought in each region.

The reason this is still "a thing" is that they're engaging in protectionism because games outside certain countries are cheaper and they don't want you playing them.

The problem is that they're stopping you from gaining access to Japan's library of games.

Not just Japan only games, quite a lot of games have been released in NA that have never made it over here, while others like SMT 4 took over 18 months after its NA release to make it to the EU.

I could easily have of finished Xenoblade Chronicles X by now if I could of imported a copy from Japan.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭Well_H0ly_God

Xenji wrote: »
    Not just Japan only games, quite a lot of games have been released in NA that have never made it over here, while others like SMT 4 took over 18 months after its NA release to make it to the EU.

I could easily have of finished Xenoblade Chronicles X by now if I could of imported a copy from Japan.

You're right, it's indefensible but I'm sure we'll hear excuses of the impending alien invasion if such a protectionist anti-consumer policy was to be lifted.

I don't believe region locking will be a thing in Nintendo's next consoles, seeing as both Sony and MS have abandoned the practice.
    That said it really doesn't affect me all that much, as I'm happy enough to play local releases on the current gen stuff, though my console collection is chockablock with imports, particularly the MD, Snes, PS2 and portables.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,140 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Looking at the game rankings on Amazon, it looks like the demo helped a lot

Ordered the Squid Bundle there, no idea though when I will get around to properly playing it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Didn't notice it yesterday because was enjoying the game so much, but apparently random Miiverse drawings show up on the electronic billboards scattered around the arena's in Splatoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

Corholio wrote: »
    Didn't notice it yesterday because was enjoying the game so much, but apparently random Miiverse drawings show up on the electronic billboards scattered around the arena's in Splatoon.

Noticed that but was guessing they're placeholders...was there a community open already?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

was the demo any good for splatoon?

Read the last 2 pages of posts on this thread. The answer is a resounding "yes". :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Did anyone pick up the new Kirby game? Hadn't been that interested in getting it until watching the launch trailer but am fairly tempted now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Did anyone pick up the new Kirby game? Hadn't been that interested in getting it until watching the launch trailer but am fairly tempted now.

Yeah got it Friday and have cleared the 1st 4 worlds.

It's enjoyable but think it would be more suited to handheld as you literally can't look away from the gamepad. It's a fairly short game also.

I really must pick it up, but Bloodborne is currently occupying my time.
    I have to show some restraint and complete it before moving along to another title!
    But I do want to buy it, it's good value at €44.99 in Smyth's, can't see it getting too much cheaper, so I'll buy it in the next few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Was never a Kirby fan tbh dunno why too cutesy for me

Advertisement