Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Mr E wrote: »
    Beer on the left, pringles on the right.

And theres a wii u controller in there somewhere :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I didn't turn off the motion controls in the last Testfire, might try them without it this time. How did you actually turn them off?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Bugger, I'm working for the next one!

And you can turn off motion controls on the opening menus, not in game I think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Corholio wrote: »
    I didn't turn off the motion controls in the last Testfire, might try them without it this time. How did you actually turn them off?

When you're on the screen to select weapons there's a few options on the top right. I think settings was the +button. When you go in there's a motion control option.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Slaptoon is dead to be. The local multiplayer of popping balloons doesn't cut the mustard for me.
    If I wanted to pop balloons, I'd so Super Pang them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Hopefully I'll get to take part in this one, as I missed the other sessions!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

/\/ollog wrote: »

Voters gotta vote.

Yes indeed they yes ;

Bring it home with ya, it's not bulky or anything....although the recabelling can be a pain!

Loving the look of the 90s racer. With that, FAST racing neo and project cars, my driving drought will ne'er darken my homestead again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

smokingman wrote: »
    Yes indeed they yes ;

Bring it home with ya, it's not bulky or anything....although the recabelling can be a pain!

Loving the look of the 90s racer. With that, FAST racing neo and project cars, my driving drought will ne'er darken my homestead again :D

90's racer looks like a lot of fun, something I've missed from a lot of racers lately.

going to have a look at the others now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have a notion that the lack of analogue triggers is going to hurt racing games on the WiiU, including 90s Racer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I have a notion that the lack of analogue triggers is going to hurt racing games on the WiiU, including 90s Racer

Have to agree with this, but hate saying it. Got Project Cars on Xbox One and the triggers are a huge part.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't include 90's in that, as it's more the kind of game where you jam on the accelerator, and same with the brake (to drift, not to slow down)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Roark

I finally purchased a basic Wii U and Mario Kart 8 for 199 yesterday evening from Smyths. Great deal imo. I also bought a pre-owned ZombiU as well but will have to return it as the disc is dodgy. Mario Kart 8 is freakin awesome. My PS3 is going on adverts this weekend.

Hope to see a lot more of you guys in this forum over the next few months. :)

Don't sell the PS3!
    Loads of great games on it!
    You can love Nintendo and take other lovers too!
    Nintendo isn't jealous like that!

Mario Kart 8 is fantastic alright, I'd buy the dlc too, its brilliant.

Roark wrote: »
    I finally purchased a basic Wii U and Mario Kart 8 for 199 yesterday evening from Smyths. Great deal imo. I also bought a pre-owned ZombiU as well but will have to return it as the disc is dodgy. Mario Kart 8 is freakin awesome. My PS3 is going on adverts this weekend.

Don't listen to Ciderman, he's an awful slag, he'd play anything! I jest Cidey :) I'd hang onto the ps3 too, you only get about €60 for it in CEX depending on the hard drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,671 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Why do people think paying €199 for a Basic Wii U and Mario Kart 8 is a good deal? It's not. Not by a long shot and I wouldn't touch the Basic model with a barge pole.

How much did you pay for your secondhand copy of ZombiU from the "good" folks at Smyths? Some of their secondhand stuff is in appalling condition, only matched by an equally appalling pricetag. If you can, go to HMV, they're selling the game new for €5.

sligeach wrote: »
    Why do people think paying €199 for a Basic Wii U and Mario Kart 8 is a good deal? It's not. Not by a long shot and I wouldn't touch the Basic model with a barge pole.

How much did you pay for your secondhand copy of ZombiU from the "good" folks at Smyths? Some of their secondhand stuff is in appalling condition, only matched by an equally appalling pricetag. If you can, go to HMV, they're selling the game new for €5.

I've a basic with a 500gb Seagate hd. works great, I touch it all the time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

I got the premium version when it was €170 in PC world when they were selling them off that time a year or so ago, but I really wish I had the white version, to go with the rest of my white consoles (first world problem I know). Anyone want to swap their white gamepad with mine? :pac:

I got the premium version when it was €170 in PC world when they were selling them off that time a year or so ago, but I really wish I had the white version, to go with the rest of my white consoles (first world problem I know). Anyone want to swap their white gamepad with mine? :pac:

They were selling them for €150. There's been far better deals than what Smyths are offering. Or go on adverts and get a deal. Mind you, some people there are worse than the shops.

The premium is far better than the Basic model. It comes with the extras and while you can run your game from a HDD, it's better to transfer it from the HDD to the internal memory. You can't do that with the majority of the games on the Basic model because of the puny 8GB's of memory which is in fact about 3GB's after the updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

They were selling them for €150. There's been far better deals than what Smyths are offering. Or go on adverts and get a deal. Mind you, some people there are worse than the shops.

The premium is far better than the Basic model. It comes with the extras and while you can run your game from a HDD, it's better to transfer it from the HDD to the internal memory. You can't do that with the majority of the games on the Basic model because of the puny 8GB's of memory which is in fact about 3GB's after the updates.

Yeah then I must have got it for €150. Had to jump on that deal, it was well before mk8 came out but I knew it was gonna come out sooner or later (mariokart was what I was waiting for to buy the console for). But I just prefer the white version because it cosmetically matches the rest of my console family and now I'll either have to trade the gamepad for a white one, or get out the spraycan :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭Nollog

Eh, the basic is as good as the premium model, they both need a hard drive, and since DDP is gone, there's no real reason besides colour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

anyone play the new kirby game? is it worth buying? im very much undecided on it and with yoshi game incoming im looking past kirby i think

Don't sell the PS3!
    Loads of great games on it!
    You can love Nintendo and take other lovers too!
    Nintendo isn't jealous like that!

Mario Kart 8 is fantastic alright, I'd buy the dlc too, its brilliant.

Oh there are but I haven't played it in ages and I hate owning stuff that I don't use. I had been playing the 3DS solely until now. The Wii U suits me a lot better because we have only one TV and I can play games on the Gamepad while my wife watches her programmes.

Also she isn't much of a gamer but she does like Nintendo games so she can join in on the fun also.

I dunno, I have a spare 1 TB external so compared to PS4 and Xbone, I think it's a pretty good deal. I didn't think the extras that came with the premium were worth the extra money.

Thanks for the tip about ZombieU. I paid €10 for this damaged copy from Smyths. Going to return it and get my money back as I have a HMV near me.

Thanks for the tip about ZombieU. I paid €10 for this damaged copy from Smyths. Going to return it and get my money back as I have a HMV near me.

I'd double check that the HMV has it in stock first, could get Smyths to exchange if they didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Good.

Personally, I wouldn't have minded hearing a bit more about what the NX is.

I can't understand why anyone would want the premium version. You pay about €100 extra for about €20 of accessories. Maybe if you get lucky and manage to find a very good deal it can be worth it, but I checked every shop selling it at the time and nobody was doing the premium for less than €300. I've been playing on the Basic for about 6 months and not once have I wished that I had put down the price of two new games to get a plastic dock for the controller and piddly 24GB of extra storage.

C14N wrote: »

I can't understand why anyone would want the premium version. You pay about €100 extra for about €20 of accessories. Maybe if you get lucky and manage to find a very good deal it can be worth it, but I checked every shop selling it at the time and nobody was doing the premium for less than €300. I've been playing on the Basic for about 6 months and not once have I wished that I had put down the price of two new games to get a plastic dock for the controller and piddly 24GB of extra storage.
    I have a spare plastic dock if you want it??? have to find it though ;)

C14N wrote: »

To be clear, I wouldn't pay €300 for the Premium Wii U either. Argos had the Zelda Wind Waker Wii U Premium bundle for €240 about a month ago with free extras. I myself bought that bundle not from Argos mind you 2 years ago for €150 and it included Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate with a receipt for everything. So when I see people talking of buying a Basic bundle today for €220 it annoys me even though it's not my problem.

If you have digital games on the Wii U, there are some that run better on the Wii U's internal memory than from a hard drive regardless of the brand. If you've a Basic Wii U, you've less than 5GB's of memory left so there's tonnes of games, probably 3/4 of the Wii U library that couldn't be run on the Basic model.

When Xenoblade launches the game is nearly 25GB's and the downloadable packs for making the game run smoother alone wouldn't fit on the Basic model. Piddly is what I'd call the Basic model.

I hate Smyths and all th rest of the shops. If I went into one of their shops with a heavily scratched broken up disc in an envelope they'd probably give me 50c and sell the game for €20.

There should be quality control. The boxes alone look like they were dragged through a pig sty and the discs you could probably use as sandpaper.

I hate Smyths and all th rest of the shops. If I went into one of their shops with a heavily scratched broken up disc in an envelope they'd probably give me 50c and sell the game for €20.

There should be quality control. The boxes alone look like they were dragged through a pig sty and the discs you could probably use as sandpaper.

If you gave them a heavily scratched disc in an envelope they wouldn't take it as well you know don't be so dramatic and if you have an issue with conditions of games but them all new!

The standard wii u is perfect why ruin it for new users like its a perfect option imo

• Advertisement

If you have digital games on the Wii U, there are some that run better on the Wii U's internal memory than from a hard drive regardless of the brand.

Just out of curiosity, which are these? I've not encountered any issues with it so far (Personally!).

Advertisement