Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭Nollog

I've heard of the opposite, where games don't run as fast from the internal storage, but on USB load faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,671 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

If you gave them a heavily scratched disc in an envelope they wouldn't take it as well you know don't be so dramatic and if you have an issue with conditions of games but them all new!

The standard wii u is perfect why ruin it for new users like its a perfect option imo

The Basic Wii U isn't the standard Wii U.

Of course I was exaggerating about the disc in an envelope scenario but not by much. :p

Star Lord wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, which are these? I've not encountered any issues with it so far (Personally!).

I can't remember individual games but I have seen numerous people say over the last 2 years that they got the best performance from the internal memory and that the HDD would slow down, skip or freeze.

Here's a comparison video.

http://www.nicofinder.net/watch/sm19687217

The results came entirely down to latency with the SSD being quickest, then internal memory, then HDD, with disc coming in last.

Now a SSD is very expensive so internal memory is the next best option.

I will say myself that I haven't experienced any problems with my 500GB Y cable powered Seagate hard drive. But if anybody does experience any trouble, the internal memory is there as a solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

With that video it looks like it's less than a second for some of those parts, and nothing consistent really.

It's just something I put up in the absence of remembering what the games were that encountered problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Bleeding deadly, I thought I missed that Splatoon round 2! Been having network/router issues all weekend, but I *think* I have it sorted now.

Is AC:Black Flag any good on the WiiU? Can pick it up for a tenner, but I never really took to the AC games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

sligeach wrote: »
    To be clear, I wouldn't pay €300 for the Premium Wii U either. Argos had the Zelda Wind Waker Wii U Premium bundle for €240 about a month ago with free extras. I myself bought that bundle not from Argos mind you 2 years ago for €150 and it included Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate with a receipt for everything. So when I see people talking of buying a Basic bundle today for €220 it annoys me even though it's not my problem.

If you have digital games on the Wii U, there are some that run better on the Wii U's internal memory than from a hard drive regardless of the brand. If you've a Basic Wii U, you've less than 5GB's of memory left so there's tonnes of games, probably 3/4 of the Wii U library that couldn't be run on the Basic model.

When Xenoblade launches the game is nearly 25GB's and the downloadable packs for making the game run smoother alone wouldn't fit on the Basic model. Piddly is what I'd call the Basic model.

If it's 25GB + updates then it would scarcely fit on the premium version either. I really can't imagine there is much of a difference between the USB and the internal memory, but even if there was, you can only fit a handful of games on the premium anyway. Bayonetta 1+2 are 32GB together, Smash Bros is about 15GB, even Donkey Kong is over 10GB. If you're planning on downloading games, you're going to need a hard drive either way.

The fact that you got incredibly lucky and somehow found a premium for €150 doesn't mean every other basic is a bad deal. I spent weeks looking for a better price when I was buying one and nobody was selling premiums for less than €300, whether in a bundle or not. No physical or online retailer was doing anything like it. Basics could not be found for less than €200 either. If you somehow manage to get an extraordinarily cheap premium then of course it's a bit better and worth going for, but it isn't an option for most people who want to play pretty soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Yeah sligeach man, we went over this before, just cos you got an incredible deal doesn't make every deal since a "rip off!". Also the basic model is just fine! I have 1 and play many games off the external HDD without any issue. As far as I can make out anyone with a few games will need an external HDD anyway. MK8's DLC comes to over 10GB.

So that and MK8 for €200 is fantastic value! Sure I got a way better deal before xmas, but that doesn't mean that's not a great price. Unless the premium was the same price I'd struggle to recommend anyone getting it as you're gonna need an external HDD anyway.

C14N wrote: »
    If it's 25GB + updates then it would scarcely fit on the premium version either. I really can't imagine there is much of a difference between the USB and the internal memory, but even if there was, you can only fit a handful of games on the premium anyway. Bayonetta 1+2 are 32GB together, Smash Bros is about 15GB, even Donkey Kong is over 10GB. If you're planning on downloading games, you're going to need a hard drive either way.

The fact that you got incredibly lucky and somehow found a premium for €150 doesn't mean every other basic is a bad deal. I spent weeks looking for a better price when I was buying one and nobody was selling premiums for less than €300, whether in a bundle or not. No physical or online retailer was doing anything like it. Basics could not be found for less than €200 either. If you somehow manage to get an extraordinarily cheap premium then of course it's a bit better and worth going for, but it isn't an option for most people who want to play pretty soon.

Xenoblade Chronicles X is the exception to the rule when it comes to game size. It's easily the biggest Wii U game.

Premium Wii U bundles pop up all the time on adverts. Sure there's people asking for silly money and those ads stay up for weeks if not months. But just last week a Premium boxed Mario Kart Wii U bundle sold for €130.

Looking at Nintendo's recent financial results I think there's a price cut coming. Maybe after E3 or maybe in time for Christmas but they forecast sales on a par with last year. So unless there's some major titles announced at E3, a price drop is the only way I see those sales happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Please tell me this publication is the only place that this is mentioned..
    They're not exactly nintendo gurus, but what rumours are they referring to?

It would link up with the belief that the NX isn't out until 2017 and that TLOZ is going to be the last and first game on both consoles.
    I haven't heard this or seen it anywhere else, so hopefully it's complete bull.

From here
    Legend of Zelda for Wii U Most Likely not Coming in 2016

Despite the high anticipation towards the release for “The Legend of Zelda” for the Wii U, it seems like the big event isn’t planned for 2016, and is most likely going to happen in 2017 if the current rumors are to be believed. There is no official report about the planned release date so far, but we’ve been getting some information from auxiliary sources which seems to point in that direction.

Nintendo recently released an earnings report which also featured a list of their planned releases for the coming months, and that list had “TBD” for “The Legend of Zelda”. With that in mind, it looks like Nintendo themselves aren’t really planning to have the game ready by 2016, but we don’t know if the list is any indication that the game will be finished by 2017 on the other hand...

Hope my Grandkids will like it.. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Xenoblade Chronicles X is the exception to the rule when it comes to game size. It's easily the biggest Wii U game.

Premium Wii U bundles pop up all the time on adverts. Sure there's people asking for silly money and those ads stay up for weeks if not months. But just last week a Premium boxed Mario Kart Wii U bundle sold for €130.

Looking at Nintendo's recent financial results I think there's a price cut coming. Maybe after E3 or maybe in time for Christmas but they forecast sales on a par with last year. So unless there's some major titles announced at E3, a price drop is the only way I see those sales happening.

It's possibly the biggest but it doesn't dwarf everything else. Like I said, all you need is SSB4 and Bayonetta and you've pretty much filled it and have to start using the external drive. You can always get things cheaper second hand on Adverts but many people feel more comfortable getting a warranty or a shop that they can return to.
    Allyall wrote: »

It would link up with the belief that the NX isn't out until 2017 and that TLOZ is going to be the last and first game on both consoles.

From here

Hope my Grandkids will like it.. :pac:

I had thought that they already pushed it back to 2017 and Aonuma said something along the lines of "it'll come out when we finish it". There was something about them figuring out new things to put into the game and it was going to take a lot of time to go over it.

C14N wrote: »
    It's possibly the biggest but it doesn't dwarf everything else. Like I said, all you need is SSB4 and Bayonetta and you've pretty much filled it and have to start using the external drive. You can always get things cheaper second hand on Adverts but many people feel more comfortable getting a warranty or a shop that they can return to.

You're only going to be playing one game at a time so you only need enough internal memory room to play whatever you're currently playing. I use an eternal hard drive as well. I'm not saying you don't need a hard drive. I'm only saying if you've digital games they run slightly better from the internal memory.

Regarding Adverts, that's why people should always buy from a person who has the receipt. Deals pop up not every other day but I could have got countless good deals on the site in the meantime. Like the Premium Mario Kart bundle I mentioned earlier for €130. Sure there's an awful lot of crap deals with some even asking for more than the shops. But if you're patient it could easily be done.

And that rumour about Zelda coming out in 2017 is bogus because the NX is coming out next Christmas.

And that rumour about Zelda coming out in 2017 is bogus because the NX is coming out next Christmas.

It definitely won't be coming out next Christmas. They don't even have plans to tell anybody what it is until next year. My guess is at earliest, it might be released in time for Christmas 2016.

It definitely won't be coming out next Christmas. They don't even have plans to tell anybody what it is until next year. My guess is at earliest, it might be released in time for Christmas 2016.

That's what I meant. Obviously it's not this year as Zelda isn't coming out this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

That's what I meant. Obviously it's not this year as Zelda isn't coming out this year.

I might have finally finished Windwaker by then!! I keep going in and out of it.

Once exams are over its my first game to finish!

Would like to give skyward sword a go before the new Zelda as well as I completely missed it on Wii when it was released.

It is indeed complete bull, nintendo kids are just expecting another twilight princess style release, just because it happened with twilight princess.

There is no basis for it.

And the only "rumour" is that Ow my numa! said he's not showing the game at e3, also saying they wanted to add more to the game, so it won't be out this year.

Christmas 2016?
    That's not true either.

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Christmas 2016?
    That's not true either.

Oh but it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

No date has been announced, so it's all speculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 JosephPatrick

Was just looking at the Argos website and the majority of Wii U consoles and games have disappeared. They were definitely on it yesterday.

I can only see 6 games (Mario Kart 8 or Smash don't seem to be there either), one console and two amiibo.

:/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

Was just looking at the Argos website and the majority of Wii U consoles and games have disappeared. They were definitely on it yesterday.

I can only see 6 games (Mario Kart 8 or Smash don't seem to be there either), one console and two amiibo.

:/

Similar with their PS4 and Xbox One sections. There is only one version of the consoles, in the case of the Xbox it is just the one with Kinect. They had 3 other versions on before. I'd say something has gone wrong in the database.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Nintendo of America have recently hired a new Vice President of Sales and his name is.......and I kid you not........

.....Doug Bowser.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,139 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just realised Splatoon is releasing on the long weekend, but I'll probably be away the whole weekend. :(

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Just realised Splatoon is releasing on the long weekend, but I'll probably be away the whole weekend. :(

My copy will be sitting at an address in Engurlund until around June 8thish. :'(

http://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-discontinues-8gb-white-wii-u-in-japan/
    RIP basic model, in Japan.

Pricedrop looking more likely for e3. Or just a new sku (more memory?)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Remember 3 years ago Nintendo promised system update that would support 2 Gamepads? Where has that update gone? :/

Remember 3 years ago Nintendo promised system update that would support 2 Gamepads? Where has that update gone? :/

They promised a lot of things that never happened. They promised 3rd party support. They promised Nintendo TVii. They promised never to release a half finished game(Splatoon). They said they wouldn't engage in paid for DLC and what's worse they've locked on disc content behind amiibo right from day 1.

From HERE (Last Year)
    “We’re still trying to get as many people as possible to buy the system itself, and that’s where our focus is right now. For the time being, two GamePad gameplay is not within our objectives in the short-term.
    From a technical standpoint, I think if we decided to pursue that, technically we would be able to and we can perform system updates that would allow for that. It’s also very interesting from a gameplay perspective idea because there are a lot of possibilities with two GamePads.
    But, at the same time, taking that kind of approach would again be a drain on resources and require us to continue to utilize our development resources for that. So then it would become a question of where do we want to devote our resources: Is it to creating regular GamePad games, or creating games centered around two GamePads?”

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

How Amiibo work in Splatoon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

Corholio wrote: »
    How Amiibo work in Splatoon

I'm beginning to really want this game and the inkling Amiibo pack specifically

• Advertisement

we should get the amiibos and pass them around between us.

Advertisement